• 55 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NewFile6 (resized).png
NewFile6a (resized).png
NewFile5 (resized).png
200and3637modNewFile4 (resized).png
MPU_Bally_5101_Pullups.jpg
NewFile2 (resized).png
NewFile1 (resized).png
MPU200_DataBus.jpg
FM16W08_Endurance.png
20190228_155221 (resized).jpg
20190228_155209 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 days ago

Big game and up use more RAM for the sound counters/steps than the earlier games. That's the only difference. I've been through both's software multiple times trying to pirate sounds from Big Game to put into Meteor

Not been successful in that endeavor yet

#52 1 day ago

I also noticed a problem in Nine Ball with the background sound being different that is the same kind of issue as in Meteor.

#53 1 day ago

I have been holding off saying anything, because I know that sometimes 'noise' can be bad and help get away from the real issue, but I thought I'd share something -

I was running v24 (the 7-digit OS) for over a year now. On original hardware (do not know if my MPU had that trace fix or not) - without any issues. No sound issues at all.

Then, at some point back in this past December or January, it started showing the sound issue. I went ahead and rebuilt my SB-300. A LOT of chips for replaced (almost all of them, except for the timer), and caps all got replaced. This did NOT fix the issue.

Then I went ahead and got @barakandl 's MPU board. (For two reasons - to have a good 'test' board to swap out if needed, and to see if it helped with this.) Setting the DIPs to the v24 on IT (not sure if code was identical), the issue did NOT go away.

I have NOT replaced the timer on my SB-300 yet. That is next.

However! Here's something interesting. Back in May, had guests over, and was playing multi-player games. Everything seemed to be fine - except for the audio. A couple weeks after they left, I turn the game on, and notice that my HSTD is .. corrupted. Displays read "5<space>438". I have yet to reset the board, but.. thought I'd mention it in case it was important.

Also - at some point between the start of v24 and now, I replaced the sound cable. My **original** cable was ALL pins. The replacement I got was only 32 pins. (Hey, @barakandl - remember I mentioned a long time ago to make a second adapter for the audio cable, allowing it to use a ribbon cable? So in case new sound boards are released, it'd be easier to hooke them up? And you said 'nnaaah' .. and now you made a sound board, even, and STILL can't use a ribbon cable. )

#54 1 day ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have been holding off saying anything, because I know that sometimes 'noise' can be bad and help get away from the real issue, but I thought I'd share something -
I was running v24 (the 7-digit OS) for over a year now. On original hardware (do not know if my MPU had that trace fix or not) - without any issues. No sound issues at all.
Then, at some point back in this past December or January, it started showing the sound issue. I went ahead and rebuilt my SB-300. A LOT of chips for replaced (almost all of them, except for the timer), and caps all got replaced. This did NOT fix the issue.
Then I went ahead and got @barakandl 's MPU board. (For two reasons - to have a good 'test' board to swap out if needed, and to see if it helped with this.) Setting the DIPs to the v24 on IT (not sure if code was identical), the issue did NOT go away.
I have NOT replaced the timer on my SB-300 yet. That is next.
However! Here's something interesting. Back in May, had guests over, and was playing multi-player games. Everything seemed to be fine - except for the audio. A couple weeks after they left, I turn the game on, and notice that my HSTD is .. corrupted. Displays read "5&lt;space&gt;438". I have yet to reset the board, but.. thought I'd mention it in case it was important.
Also - at some point between the start of v24 and now, I replaced the sound cable. My **original** cable was ALL pins. The replacement I got was only 32 pins. (Hey, @barakandl - remember I mentioned a long time ago to make a second adapter for the audio cable, allowing it to use a ribbon cable? So in case new sound boards are released, it'd be easier to hooke them up? And you said 'nnaaah' .. and now you made a sound board, even, and STILL can't use a ribbon cable. )

Adding a two row ribbon cable would be nice but the reason I don't switch to that is the the original boards where not designed that way. Not everyone is going to replace both the MPU and Sound board at the same time and they may mix aftermarket brands. Sure I could have both connectors but then assembly and BOM goes up... by a negligible amount but still. Then I would also get email questions about where the connectors go and why there is an extra one etc... I had China make new 16p 0.1" and individual wires which works fine for SB100 and SB300. They are reasonably priced even compared to ribbon cables so I will probably never change to two row ribbon. Go back in time and tell Stern to do 2x16 ribbon instead. =D

I can email you a ROM file that will clear out the RAM back to FF and that should fix the replacement and original MPUs having sound issues. I am going to start including RAM clear software in the combo ROM.

Not sure what to make about the memory corruption. If the game ever jumps out of the software for whatever reason it can write crap to the NVRAM chip. Best guess is something like that happened at some point. Unplugging the J5 plug while the MPU is running is one way to possibly do it.

#55 1 day ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Adding a two row ribbon cable would be nice but the reason I don't switch to that is the the original boards where not designed that way. Not everyone is going to replace both the MPU and Sound board at the same time and they may mix aftermarket brands. Sure I could have both connectors but then assembly and BOM goes up... by a negligible amount but still. Then I would also get email questions about where the connectors go and why there is an extra one etc... I had China make new 16p 0.1" and individual wires which works fine for SB100 and SB300. They are reasonably priced even compared to ribbon cables so I will probably never change to two row ribbon. Go back in time and tell Stern to do 2x16 ribbon instead. =D

Eh, i was just being a dick. I'm not actually upset. I DO (and have) wondered hot 'iffy' connections could affect the soundboard, though.)

Quoted from barakandl:

I can email you a ROM file that will clear out the RAM back to FF and that should fix the replacement and original MPUs having sound issues. I am going to start including RAM clear software in the combo ROM.
If you don't mind, that'd be great. I haven't hyet done anything with the game since I noticed the high-score corruption.

Not sure what to make about the memory corruption. If the game ever jumps out of the software for whatever reason it can write crap to the NVRAM chip. Best guess is something like that happened at some point. Unplugging the J5 plug while the MPU is running is one way to possibly do it.

Haven't unplugged anything while the game's been up. Been solid, save for the sound!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 157.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 19.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside