IMG_3431 (resized).JPG
IMG_3430 (resized).JPG
IMG_3429 (resized).JPG
IMG_3428 (resized).JPG
IMG_3427 (resized).JPG
IMG_3426 (resized).JPG
meteor post layout (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a stern meteor and many of the posts are disintegrating and/or do not look correct
below is a quick layout that I threw together and was wondering if anyone can confirm or correct the posts that I've labeled

the pink ones are the 1" red faceted posts
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-11561-20

the red ones are the 1-3/16" red faceted posts
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-11562-20

mine has a mixture of these as well as some of the concentric ring posts (and some of the 1" tall clear faceted posts as well
I'm thinking that the game should probably have either all faceted or all concentric ring posts

if concentric ring posts, the pink ones would be 1" tall and the red ones, 1-1/8" tall

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-951-7
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-952-7

meteor post layout (resized).jpgmeteor post layout (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I'll check when I get home tonight and let you know.

#3 5 years ago

This might not end up being super helpful, but I have had several Meteor machines over the years and there was no consistency as to what posts were on the games. Most if not all of them were untouched - generally, machine posts were the taller and regular screw posts were the shorter. I ended up redoing my eventual keeper with this method, replacing all the carriage bolts with proper Tnutted machine posts instead, so I fail the 'museum quality restoration' test anyway. The only other deviation was that the plastic support posts I always used the taller so the plastic was never sitting directly on top of the raw metal screws in the shorter posts in between.

The biggest thing that stuck out from the 6-7 playfields was that the slings were either all short or all tall, or the mix of tall and short. I'm pretty sure the Stern factory at the time used what they had to keep the line running - if a couple of posts were stuck on wrong, so be it.

#4 5 years ago

would this help?

IMG_3426 (resized).JPGIMG_3426 (resized).JPGIMG_3427 (resized).JPGIMG_3427 (resized).JPGIMG_3428 (resized).JPGIMG_3428 (resized).JPGIMG_3429 (resized).JPGIMG_3429 (resized).JPGIMG_3430 (resized).JPGIMG_3430 (resized).JPGIMG_3431 (resized).JPGIMG_3431 (resized).JPGIMG_3432 (resized).JPGIMG_3432 (resized).JPGIMG_3433 (resized).JPGIMG_3433 (resized).JPGIMG_3434 (resized).JPGIMG_3434 (resized).JPGIMG_3435 (resized).JPGIMG_3435 (resized).JPGIMG_3436 (resized).JPGIMG_3436 (resized).JPGIMG_3437 (resized).JPGIMG_3437 (resized).JPGIMG_3438 (resized).JPGIMG_3438 (resized).JPGIMG_3439 (resized).JPGIMG_3439 (resized).JPG
#5 5 years ago

Mine are all the taller ones for all the posts under the plastics behind the 1-2-3 drop targets, the plastic at the top by the exit of the shooter lane and for the two on either side of the spinner.

The shorter posts are all the ones under the plastic behind the Meteor drops, upper flipper and both slingshot plastics.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for all the photos..I am in the process( one of many it seems) of tearing down my meteor and it has random posts.. thanks

#7 5 years ago

thanks for the photos oldschoolbob
yours looks like a mishmash like mine (some concentric posts mixed in with faceted ones). it's kind of odd that the top most faceted post in image 3432 (which has a top hat) is shorter than the other 3 under that same upper right playfield plastic

I think that I'm going to end up going with all red, faceted posts and put the taller ones where the plastics are secured with top hat screws and run the shorter ones everywhere else to keep those screw heads from touching the plastics

I'll post a new diagram in the morning

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I think that I'm going to end up going with all red, faceted posts

You could put the odd ball posts in the back where they don't show.

Quoted from j_m_:

and put the taller ones where the plastics are secured with top hat screws and run the shorter ones everywhere else to keep those screw heads from touching the plastics

That's what I did.

#9 5 years ago

the other issue is that most of the current posts are all cracked and/or broken so after 40 years, it's probably time for a new set

#10 5 years ago

based on where all of the playfield plastics are secured, this appears to be my new layout
(34) 1" tall, (23) 1-1/4" tall
meteor post layout (resized).jpgmeteor post layout (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

based on where all of the playfield plastics are secured, this appears to be my new layout
[quoted image]

This looks darn close to what I have. I unfortunately left my notes at home before going to work, so when I get home tonight, I'll pull my notes out.

1 year later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

[quoted image]

Getting ready to do this myself, and I noticed the the very bottom post in the P8 section in the upper right of the playfield should also be a tall post for that specific plastic.

Also, the two for the spinners are tall type.

#13 3 years ago

I recently pulled all the left side posts off of a Meteor playfield from the left flipper up to round brown bumper at the top and only had one short post up the whole left side. I've already purchased a new post kit from Marco so I'd like to get it figured out.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I recently pulled all the left side posts off of a Meteor playfield from the left flipper up to round brown bumper at the top and only had one short post up the whole left side. I've already purchased a new post kit from Marco so I'd like to get it figured out.

Yep, I have sort of the same thing going on mine as well with the exception of the slingshots which are all short type.

The poster above who said that there doesn't appear to be much consistency between games is correct. There are a lot of meteors out there and they weren't all done the same. I'm doing what the poster above did: make the plastics a uniform height with tall posts, spinners tall posts (because they have to be) and everything else short posts. I'm running LED lighting, so I'm not concerned about plastic sag. If you're using incandescent lamps, you may want to make sure your plastics are supported from underneath.

#15 3 years ago

Slingshots might just have to stay short. Stern used 6-32x2" carriage bolts up through the bottom of the playfield to secure the slingshot plastics as well as the ones on either side of the stand-up target. Finding a replacement that is longer for tall posts doesn't seem to be possible, and long post studs that lock into a T-nut doesn't seem to be feasible either.

1 month later
#16 3 years ago

Ive just purchased the Marco kit which contains 8 x 1 3/16 and 48 x 1 inch. Is that correct?

#17 3 years ago

Save some of your old posts for tweaking. The image in the thread above is incorrect in a few places, such as the slings(need short) and the spinner(need tall).

I populated my Meteor last night and used 17 tall with the remainder short. That kit that Marco sells is actually more expensive than the price of just ordering the posts from them as separate items.

I suggest always ordering a few extra. Last time I ordered from marco I got a star post that was deformed/improperly molded. It wasn't worth bothering them for a return, but it left me one short for my project.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-post-type-and-positions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.