(Topic ID: 258074)

Stern Meteor Playfield Restoration: Very Rough Shape. With Pics.

By kalegarner

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3402 (resized).jpg
IMG_3302 (resized).jpg
IMG_3296 (resized).jpg
IMG_3293 (resized).jpg
IMG_3294 (resized).jpg
IMG_3283 (resized).jpg
IMG_3284 (resized).jpg
IMG_3266 (resized).jpg
IMG_3282 (resized).jpg
IMG_3265 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

A few months back I bought a Meteor for 75 bucks in rough shape. After getting the game functional, I decided it might be worth restoring the playfield. With the help of some stencils I made from images from the internet and my girlfriends painting skills, we started the process of repainting the playfield. I am now currently clear-coating the playfield.

1. The first photo shows the uncleaned playfield freshly removed from the machine.
2. Shows the playfield after a magic eraser for many hours.
3. Filling in the areas with white paint to trace easier.
4. Photo 4 shows one of the many stencils used in the rocket area.
5-8 shows painting the rocket stencils
9. Nearly painted playfield
10. Before Clearing

IMG_3265 (resized).jpgIMG_3265 (resized).jpgIMG_3266 (resized).jpgIMG_3266 (resized).jpgIMG_3282 (resized).jpgIMG_3282 (resized).jpgIMG_3283 (resized).jpgIMG_3283 (resized).jpgIMG_3284 (resized).jpgIMG_3284 (resized).jpgIMG_3293 (resized).jpgIMG_3293 (resized).jpgIMG_3294 (resized).jpgIMG_3294 (resized).jpgIMG_3296 (resized).jpgIMG_3296 (resized).jpgIMG_3302 (resized).jpgIMG_3302 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Nice job! The insert key lines are difficult to restore on this title.

#3 4 years ago

Great job. You saved that playfield.
Initially I was going to say cpr had the coming but you don’t need it with those skills

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Great job. You saved that playfield.
Initially I was going to say cpr had the coming but you don’t need it with those skills

Thanks, mostly to my gal pal. She does great work.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Nice job! The insert key lines are difficult to restore on this title.

She used various washers, and foreign coins of different sizes to redo them.

4 weeks later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

This may be of interest if you are going to draw a lot of circles of varying sizes:
amazon.com link »

Very cool maybe on my next pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-playfield-restoration-very-rough-shape-with-pics?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.