Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

outhole_coil (resized).jpg
IMG_0869[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0870[1] (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7664 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm an extreme novice when it comes to fixing machines. I had someone else do my complete rehab of my current pin 8 years ago. Everything works great, but when I turn the game on now it cycles through and then I push play button and it makes the sounds like it normally does to kick out the ball for play, but the ball doesn't come out. Thanks for any detailed help on what to do.

IMG_7664 (resized).JPGIMG_7664 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Do all the targets reset when you turn on the game?

#3 6 years ago

Check your outhole and trough switches. When the ball is sitting in the outhole, that switch should be closed.

#4 6 years ago

Yes, everything resets and looks normal

#5 6 years ago

Broken coil wire. Bad coil. Bad connection on driver board. Bad transistor.

It'll be one of those things. If all other coils on the playfield seem to work fine, then the fuse under the playfield is fine.

#6 6 years ago

Could also be that the ball is either not resting in the trough correctly (stick on switch and too far for kicker to reach it) or that it didn't come out all the way (resting on the very end of the trough, right before the ball shooter). I've seen both of these happen in my game before it was adjusted properly.

#7 6 years ago

Can you see the ball sitting in the outhole? If not, take the apron off and find the ball.

Start a game. Normally, the game will fire the outhole blind (without checking to see if the ball is sitting on the outhole switch.) Without scoring any points take the ball and drop it in the outhole. This should reset the targets and kick the ball out again.

If the targets reset the switch is operating normally. If the ball doesn't kick out check as schudel stated above.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks dothedoo. I opened and got the ball out and then dropped it in the outhole, but while there is clicking above on the playfield the wire doesn't push the ball out. No movement at all. Wire doesn't seem to be broken. Bad transistor?

#9 6 years ago

Does the outhole kicker fire in solenoid test?

#10 6 years ago

"Pinside Apprentice" is being kind. I also failed EE in college, so while I love using youtube to learn, etc. I open my machine and see wires and other "stuff." I have no clue how to do solenoid test.

#11 6 years ago

There's a test button on the inside of the coin door. Push it 4 times to get the solenoid test. You'll know you're there when the pops, flippers, etc fire one after the other. See if the outhole kicker fires.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12 6 years ago

I think he meant using the games diagnostic menu software to see if the coil test can make that coil fire.

I only have exp with modern sterns but i figure there is something similar to the modern stern coil test in the older sterns.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I think he meant using the games diagnostic menu software to see if the coil test can make that coil fire.
I only have exp with modern sterns but i figure there is something similar to the modern stern coil test in the older sterns.

There is.
Press the Test button once. (Button on the coin door, next to the volume control.) The game will cycle through all coils, firing each one (and flash all lights, and count up on the displays).

#14 6 years ago

There's 3 red buttons and I pushed each one after waiting for the machine to cycle through testing. Seems like all is working accept kicking the ball out to play.

#15 6 years ago

It keeps making a sound like it normally does to kick the ball out but the ball just sits there and doesn't come out.

#16 6 years ago

Open the coin door and look for a button, it may be a small red button.

First press of the button tests nearly everything, lamps, sounds, displays, and coils - this should suffice for testing the coil

2nd does score display test

3rd does solenoid test . It cycles through the various coils, let it run and eventually it should fire the coil in question if the driver board, wiring, and coil are good.

4th is sound test

5th is switch test - I'd recommend trying this too. Remove all balls from the game and reset all drop targets. A display should read 0 meaning no switches are activated. Drop the ball in the outhole--a number other than 0 should now be displayed. If 0 is still up, you know it's not detecting the outhole switch.

6th press of the test button takes you to bookkeeping mode: how many games played, etc. You can keep pushing the button to cycle through bookkeeping until the game restarts in order to exit the test.

Edit: looks like my order is out of sequence. Refer to the diagram in the above post for your game. Same basic rules apply. Whichever red button cycles the tests is the only one i think you'll need to use

#17 6 years ago

Okay. I'll try that.
1. Does it matter which of the 3 red buttons I push?
2. Just push and wait, then push again for next test, etc. through 5 clicks?
3. How do you reset all drop targets?
4. "Dropping ball in outhole means to drop it where the wire would kick it out?
Thanks!
E

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from usnagrad1988:

It keeps making a sound like it normally does to kick the ball out but the ball just sits there and doesn't come out.

Just to clarify - did you press the test button 4 times to reach solenoid test, then watch as it cycled through each coil (flippers pop bumbers etc) and they all fired except the outhole kicker? You should be able to watch the outhole kicker coil fire (or not) with the coin door open.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from usnagrad1988:

Okay. I'll try that.
1. Does it matter which of the 3 red buttons I push?
2. Just push and wait, then push again for next test, etc. through 5 clicks?
3. How do you reset all drop targets?
4. "Dropping ball in outhole means to drop it where the wire would kick it out?
Thanks!
E

Two of the buttons should be for volume (probably with + and - labeled on them). I don't have a machine here for reference but it should be clear which is the test button. You can also tell which is correct because after pressing it the displays should change. Continue pressing the test button until you see/hear the solenoids firing one after another.

#20 6 years ago

You don't have to wait, you can push the button as often as you need. Whichever button starts the test is the only one you need to use.

Reset the targets by pulling them up with a small tool, or pliers, whatever you can use to lift them to their 'up' state.

We want no targets registering when putting the game in switch test. The display should say 0 if no switches are active. Then you'd place a ball in the outhole and it should display a different number (I'm not sure exactly which, but something not-0)

#21 6 years ago

Whoops, double post

#22 6 years ago

think i have this same problem.
looks like this...

#23 6 years ago

That's it, Joelreeves!!!!
Exactly what mine is doing. How do I fix it?
Thanks for the video upload.

IMG_0870[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0870[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0869[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0869[1] (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

That is NOT factory.
Likely, someone hooked one or both of those buttons up to the credit switches. Only one button there should be your test button.
One button should be your test button. The other is your memory clear. The third is likely a credit button.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

think i have this same problem.
looks like this...
» YouTube video

Joel, if I'm seeing this correctly, it looks like your coil winding is broken. If so, unwind one turn, cut to length, strip the end and resolder to the coil lug.

outhole_coil (resized).jpgouthole_coil (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Joel, if I'm looking at this correctly, it looks like your coil wire is broken.

Yeah, i'm terrible at diagnosing problems. that's probably it. THANKS!
should've posted this video a month ago. I don't care what folks say, Pinside is pretty awesome...

#27 6 years ago

Bring it down to Naples and I'll get you patched up

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

looks like your coil winding is broken.

Nailed it. My first guess in post 5.

Fairly easy fix.

#29 6 years ago

dothedo, any recommendations for me, based upon my pick above. The ball will eject for awhile, then randomly stop and just do that clicking, then a few weeks later when I turn it on it will work again. Frustrating. Thanks!

#30 6 years ago

Can't tell from that pic. Wrong angle and too dark. If you have an ohmmeter measure the resistance across the coil lugs. Should be about 10 ohms, I believe. If that reads good then it's time to look for the problem in the backbox.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-pin-wont-eject-ball-to-start-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.