• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sb-300_(resized).png
#1 7 years ago

My friend acquired a Stern Meteor and the sound stopped working. Game plays otherwise. Game has a Sterns SB-200 board. The person we purchased had a similar problem (no sound) but got it working by apparently removing and reconnecting some connectors. When we got it home, it played fine for a day but then the sound stopped. We checked the voltages on the rectifier board, solenoid board and they checked out o.k. Tested voltages on sound board test points and found all tested o.k., except the 5 volts only reading a little over one volt. I cleaned all header pins and reflowed all the pins. All the traces including the 5v trace from the ribbon cable pin to the 5 volt test point are good and have continuity. I am starting to suspect the ribbon cables between the MPU and sound board. Is there something else we should check on the SB or the MPU? Need to make sure we are getting 5 volts out of the MPU and that 5 volts is getting to the sound board. THX for any help.

#2 7 years ago

That's the wrong sound board. Should be the SB-300.

#3 7 years ago

I'm going to dig out the schematic for you and have a look...(found it below) I think SB 200 was a typo. The Stern MPU is a "200"

Are you saying that TP4 does NOT read +5DC (lower left of schematic below)? I would say it's the ribbon cable if that reading is not +5DC. KEEP in mind that this problem could ALSO be caused by a MISSING logic GROUND on the sound board. I would run an extra GROUND from the head's common ground to the sound board's GROUND test point, to rule that out first!

I would also recap the board's electrolytic caps because they are 36 years old. That's just routine mantenance on these sound boards. I have repaired a bunch of them.

Here's some more technical breakdown/repair info on the Stern sound boards:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html

_Matt

sb-300_(resized).pngsb-300_(resized).png

#4 7 years ago

Should be SB 300, sorry for mistake.

#5 7 years ago

Only getting +1.2 volts DC on test point 4. Other voltages on test points are ok.

#6 7 years ago

TP4 is the +5v common to the MPU's +5v.

Ribbon cable 30 or 31 is probably bad connection. OR the ribbon cables are flat plugged in wrong and 1.2vdc you see i some pulsing signal from the MPU.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks Matt for the link to the detailed troubleshooting guide for the SB 300 board, really good information. I will pursue these recommendations. Since this board has all original parts, It sounds like the caps should probably be replaced as a matter of course. Continuity needs to be checked for the 5v. Since it was a previous problem with the sound going out, I think the ribbon connectors are prime suspect.

1 month later
#8 7 years ago

Reflowed header pins and voltages checked out, and sound is back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.