• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190718_102517_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So I just got my Meteor up and running again and it now seems to have a strange issue where when you hit either flipper button (right flipper button more than the left), a slingshot with fire or the pop bumper will fire. With the right flipper, the upper one fires but will drop after the coil firing (happens intermittently). Not sure how to explain it better, anyone know where to start with this or has seen it before?
20190718_102517_HDR (resized).jpg20190718_102517_HDR (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I think you are describing the noise from the coil turning off getting into the switch matrix. It is unavoidable to a certain extent and normally does not score points when it happens.

If it really bugs you can you try and move the flipper wires away from being bundled in with switch wires and shield it some how, but I'd just ignore it unless it is happening really often and scoring points.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I think you are describing the noise from the coil turning off getting into the switch matrix. It is unavoidable to a certain extent and normally does not score points when it happens.
If it really bugs you can you try and move the flipper wires away from being bundled in with switch wires and shield it some how, but I'd just ignore it unless it is happening really often and scoring points.

It's not scoring points but it happens enough that it is effecting the game play. Especially when the upper flipper goes up and immediately goes back down as if it's the hold isn't working

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from dpapclare:

It's not scoring points but it happens enough that it is effecting the game play. Especially when the upper flipper goes up and immediately goes back down as if it's the hold isn't working

Flipper button and EOS switches that are pitted, make large arcs, or cause flipper fluttering are probably going to exacerbate the issue.

#5 4 years ago

Replace the switch caps on the slings and pop bumper and make sure your flipper coil diodes are good.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from dpapclare:

it now seems to have a strange issue where when you hit either flipper button (right flipper button more than the left), a slingshot with fire or the pop bumper will fire.

Does this happen nearly every time you flip the flippers? You sure the slingshot and pop bumper switches are gapped enough? What happens if you hit the playfield with your fist, does the slingshot/pop bumper activate from vibration?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does this happen nearly every time you flip the flippers? You sure the slingshot and pop bumper switches are gapped enough? What happens if you hit the playfield with your fist, does the slingshot/pop bumper activate from vibration?

I checked the gaps and they looked good.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Flipper button and EOS switches that are pitted, make large arcs, or cause flipper fluttering are probably going to exacerbate the issue.

This is kind of what I was thinking may be the issue, I'll take a peak at it this afternoon and see what they look like!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Replace the switch caps on the slings and pop bumper and make sure your flipper coil diodes are good.

I'll check these out this afternoon!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

This is exactly the problem. They look terrible and actually managed to cause a reset if the game when I hit the right flipper fast enough hahahaha

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You were correct! By the way, the new board is awesome and works great

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 199.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-issue?hl=dpapclare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.