You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6531_(resized).JPG
IMG_6534_(resized).JPG
IMG_6556_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

If you had your choice of either Stern's Meteor, Galaxy, or Flight 2000 which would you choose? Assume all are in top playing condition. Which of the three would you take home?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Flight 2000. Challenging rules, and multiball

Plus, it's much more desirable than the other two titles.

#3 7 years ago

Flight 2000, Meteor, Galaxy in that order.

#4 7 years ago

I'd pick Meteor first. The game needs to be fairly steep and fast. Also you need to tweak the outlanes a bit. Those big posts with rubber make it to easy to save the ball on both outlanes. Either smaller posts, or new holes to move them up. Then the game comes alive with danger, and the spinner is a blast. All but one drop down, and avoiding it to keep the spinner maxxed. Good stuff. Simple, sure, but good.

Galaxy is "ok" in my book. It never really grabbed me like meteor does. A solid entry.

Flight 2000 has some minor issues to me. I'd rate it as a good game, but not great. It never seems to reach the heights it should. However, it's good.

I never really gave F2K as much thought as I did there. It's because I play a game or two on it, and I feel done with it. Meteor (setup right), I'm irritated at losing the ball and I'm slamming the start button again to try and do better. The downside of meteor is setup normal, it is a bit easy. So it can get old quick. A nasty setup just suits the game.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, I told the guy I sold my Meteor to to call me first when he wants to sell it. It's a fun game with all the drops, but not exactly deep.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'd pick Meteor first. The game needs to be fairly steep and fast. Also you need to tweak the outlanes a bit. Those big posts with rubber make it to easy to save the ball on both outlanes. Either smaller posts, or new holes to move them up. Then the game comes alive with danger, and the spinner is a blast. All but one drop down, and avoiding it to keep the spinner maxxed. Good stuff. Simple, sure, but good.
Galaxy is "ok" in my book. It never really grabbed me like meteor does. A solid entry.
Flight 2000 has some minor issues to me. I'd rate it as a good game, but not great. It never seems to reach the heights it should. However, it's good.
I never really gave F2K as much thought as I did there. It's because I play a game or two on it, and I feel done with it. Meteor (setup right), I'm irritated at losing the ball and I'm slamming the start button again to try and do better. The downside of meteor is setup normal, it is a bit easy. So it can get old quick. A nasty setup just suits the game.

Spot on Dave!

#7 7 years ago

Meteor. I never really liked the other two. But, yeah, it is easy with normal outlanes.

#8 7 years ago

F2K plays "clunky" for me and I just don't like it much.
Galaxy is better looking, but Meteor probably plays better.

#9 7 years ago

I am particular to Meteor...when done right

IMG_6556_(resized).JPGIMG_6556_(resized).JPG

IMG_6534_(resized).JPGIMG_6534_(resized).JPG

IMG_6531_(resized).JPGIMG_6531_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Flight 2000.

#11 7 years ago

I really like Gamatron a lot more than Flight2k...but F2k is the most pick to make here...even though Meteor is a little funner playing.

#12 7 years ago

Flight 2000--

Meteor and Galaxy are fun...but too easy long term.
F2K has the 7 digit displays, multiball, and is far tougher to play. It is also more prone to necessary maintenance, however.
Would depend on the condition of the particular copies of each game.

Nice Meteor (above).

#13 7 years ago

Well, that's 6 votes for Meteor. And 5 (or maybe 4.5 ) for F2K. Galaxy nowhere to be found. That's a close vote. The kicker is that papa.org has 7 or 8 competition videos with Meteor and none for F2K. I'll give this some more study.

Yes. That is a nicely restored Meteor.

Thanks all.

#14 7 years ago

I'd take a nice waxed up Meteor over the other two choices anyday

#15 7 years ago

I had a F2K, it's got too much space wasted by the ball walkers, and can get in a rut trying to score the top letters if the last ballwalker kicker is too consistent (hits the same lane). Meteor is the best, but gotta set it up steep and fast.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Flight 2000. Challenging rules, and multiball
Plus, it's much more desirable than the other two titles.

I own a flight 2000 and recently sold a nice meteor. I have not played galaxy.

I couldn't enjoy meteor. The top flipper is too powerful and when the ball hits the targets, they don't drop because they are hit so hard. only 1 pop bumper? It's just boring game.

Flight 2000 is 3 ball multiball with speech.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

The top flipper is too powerful

Easy fix (and one that many operators did back in the day) is to add a resistor to the top solenoid. My Seawitch had the same problem on the upper left. You're right that unmodded, it's too aggressive

#18 7 years ago

Dave H has played my Meteor right after I purchased it last year. We both agreed it was way to easy so the outlane posts were adjusted to make it harder and bingo you have an ass kicking Meteor.

It's like two different games once you make those adjustments in addition to waxing it up and setting it up steep. It goes from I'm bored from beating it down and ready to sell it to playing twenty games in a row and cursing it for not being able to reach the 480K first replay score. It's a must if you plan on keeping a Meteor long term. Great game!

#19 7 years ago

I have an F2K and a Meteor, and I've played Galaxy a few times.

Personally, I'd pick F2K. It's just got more personality. When I turn it on, the goal is usually just to have a game where I get to multiball. That could happen in the first game, but often I find myself playing a few more games than expected.

With Meteor, a session of games doesn't end up lasting quite as long. Meteor does have a fantastic spinner, but exploiting the spinner is pretty much the only viable strategy. It was once my favorite spinner in the house, but that has since changed (Argosy, because analog spinners are just the best). If you just love spinners, then Meteor is a great choice. F2K has an okay spinner, but that's not the focal point.

It seems like the majority of collectors I've known have owned a Meteor at some point. I only know a few who have owned F2K. I may be close to moving Meteor on, but F2K will always stay. Plus, if I ever needed to find a Meteor again, it would be easy. Finding another F2K could take awhile, but it's not impossible. I considered finding a Galaxy to sit next to them, but at this point, it seems redundant unless you have unlimited space.

If I could only keep one, it would definitely be F2K. It all comes down to what you want out of it. Whatever you decide will be awesome though. They are all great pins.

#20 7 years ago

galaxy with the outlane posts removed and set steep is a Vicious game. cab on meteor looks the best. pf on galaxy looks the best. f2k does seem clunky but offers much more than the others.
thanks
blake

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-galaxy-flight-2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.