IMG_0489 (resized).JPG
IMG_0490 (resized).JPG
IMG_0490 (resized).JPG
IMG_0491 (resized).JPG
IMG_0492 (resized).JPG
IMG_0493 (resized).JPG
3-slot-coin-door (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just got my 1st pinball machine. It's a Meteor.
When I open the coin door I notice lots of stuff is missing!
(See pic)
I would really like to get it back to stock and make my kids put in quarters.
Where can I get the stuff I need?
What are the part #'s or at least pictures of what these parts might be?
I may be missing the red letter "Quarter" plastics that go in the door.
Only the 2 right most slots have these plastics. The left most is empty and has nothing.
It looks really bad an incomplete.

Thanks!

3-slot-coin-door (resized).jpg3-slot-coin-door (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

There's so much missing here that I don't think you should be looking for individual parts. You need a whole new coin door from a parted machine and even after that you're going to have to do a lot of work on your wiring harness.

My recommendation to you in the meantime is to:
a) install blanking or free play plates and
b) install free play roms
c) shake your kids down for quarters another way

#3 5 years ago

Not only is it missing tons of stuff, but it looks like the wiring harness has been cut into to add the credit switch. Luckily your kids can still put quarters in it...as well as pennies, nickles, dimes, washers, paper clips, cheeze-its...

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

Where can I get the stuff I need?
What are the part #'s or at least pictures of what these parts might be?

I wouldn't bother. That won't get you anywhere.

I'm certain I have most of what you need but as others have said, it's going to be easier to just sell/buy the much closer to complete door that I have and just get rid of that one. Also, original coin doors can be more expensive than you think, especially with the more recent price surge of classic Stern titles.

#5 5 years ago

snyper2099,

So you think you have one I could use? Or at least the parts?
Why the heck would somebody take this off in the 1st place...?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

snyper2099,

I "gut" the coin doors on all my machines, makes them a lot cleaner looking if done correctly. I'm not a 100% stickler for originality & none of my machines will ever be used for coin op ever again, they are all set on free play etc. No real reason to have all the ridiculously complicated & heavy coin mech parts inside the doors anymore (at least for me). I rarely ever see anyone actually using the coin mechs in their home use machines... My machines have the absolute bare minimum very similar to yours... test switch, start switch, coin plate lights, & if it's a Stern or a Bally that doesn't have an Alltek MPU, I leave a single microswitch for quickly/easily adding credits, sometimes I'll replace the microswitch with a small pushbutton just to clean it up even more.

I've gutted 4-5 Stern doors in the last few months, but all the stuff I've taken off has been jumbled & thrown in misc parts boxes, not kept seperate. I'm probably going to list it all in one large package & take it to Allentown show to sell to someone who wants a bunch of Stern coin door parts.

Best thing for you to do is definitely buy a fully intact door from a machine that is getting parted (not overly easy to find a Stern, but they are out there, I paid $100 for a spare complete Stern door that I found off of here a few months back for a Seawitch project I'm working on) & get the wiring harness from the door running to the connector that the door harness plugs into on left side of cabinet about 10" in.

#7 5 years ago

WeatherbyMAG,

I'd buy that box of coin door parts if you are willing to sell it to me.
I've got a field who lives in PA who travels a lot.
I'm sure we could work out a pickup.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

snyper2099,
So you think you have one I could use? Or at least the parts?

They take it off because it is now a home machine and the parts are really not needed. They also start cutting wiring willy-nilly. It is a pain when you get one all butchered up and you want to restore it.

Save your door if no one has drilled holes into it and bent the hell out of it trying to pry it open.

What you are missing is not hard to remove or replace.

You are missing the coin chutes

IMG_0493 (resized).JPGIMG_0493 (resized).JPG

You are missing the coin collector holders

IMG_0492 (resized).JPGIMG_0492 (resized).JPG

You are missing the switches that load credits when the coin drops

IMG_0491 (resized).JPGIMG_0491 (resized).JPG

IMG_0490 (resized).JPGIMG_0490 (resized).JPG

The wiring is not that difficult. You could build your own harness in good enough form to activate the switches.

IMG_0489 (resized).JPGIMG_0489 (resized).JPG

You can find "stern coin door" on Ebay, but the Ebay sellers think their doors are made of gold.

In short, the parts you are missing can all be installed in 30 minutes. You need some 3/8" #10 machine screws.

It is not the end of the world. You are not even close to the end of the world.

Here is one on Ebay from a Stern Frenzy arcade that will work. You may have to change a wiring connector. But you are in for near $100.00 by the time you add in shipping. And this one does not have the three angle/border brackets that go around the door. If you do not have those angle brackets you will definitely want them and a lot of door sellers don't think about selling them with the door.

I guess I should add the Ebay link:

ebay.com link: Stern Frenzy Arcade Game Coin Door

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

. But you are in for near $100.00 by the time you add in shipping. And this one does not have the three angle/border brackets that go around the door. If you do not have those angle brackets you will definitely want them and a lot of door sellers don't think about selling them with the door.

I've looked at the Ebay ones, those are all for arcades. They don't have the lockout assembly from what I could tell. I'm missing a few parts off a couple of my games as well, it's annoying because I actually put mine on location. It's a pain in the butt to find the stern coin door specific parts.

Finding a full intact stern coin door isn't the easiest thing to do either, I was able to find a Chicago coin door for 40 bucks and steal parts off of it.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I've looked at the Ebay ones, those are all for arcades. They don't have the lockout assembly from what I could tell. I'm missing a few parts off a couple of my games as well, it's annoying because I actually put mine on location. It's a pain in the butt to find the stern coin door specific parts.
Finding a full intact stern coin door isn't the easiest thing to do either, I was able to find a Chicago coin door for 40 bucks and steal parts off of it.

I don't know if this will help you any, but PBR has the 2 Chute and 3 Chute lockout bars for sale.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 6.58.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-27 at 6.58.09 PM (resized).png

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. It helps.
Just wishing somebody had one then can sell me with all the parts...

Also what is a "lock out bar" and what does it do?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

A lock out bar prevents the coin slot from accepting any coins if the pin is not turned on.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

Hell, I'll give you one if it's the one you need and you pay shipping. I know it has a slight ding in the front and can't remember if the mechs are there. It's either of a xenon or stern stratoflight. Stratoflight? I think that's the name. I can look tomorrow

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know if this will help you any, but PBR has the 2 Chute and 3 Chute lockout bars for sale.
[quoted image]

yes that does help, one game is missing that exact part. (thanks)

I have another game missing that and the coil bracket, which seems type specific for that coin door. It's crazy I think they are all missing the mech's, but I'm pretty sure the ops did that. The plastic crappy mechs don't work in these, only the metal "coin mech" brand. Due to the Chinese tariffs the prices on those have almost doubled. From 24 bucks a piece to a little over $40.

#15 5 years ago

A little dusty from the garage but see what you think. Again, it's off either a stern or xenon. I think both machines used the same coin door but I'm not 100%

20190328_164842 (resized).jpg20190328_164842 (resized).jpg20190328_164900 (resized).jpg20190328_164900 (resized).jpg20190328_164926 (resized).jpg20190328_164926 (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago

That looks a little different than my Meteor. I don't think it will fit. Thanks though!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

A little dusty from the garage but see what you think. Again, it's off either a stern or xenon. I think both machines used the same coin door but I'm not 100%
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bally door, not a stern door

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Bally door, not a stern door

Yeah, this must be the xenon. I gave the stern one away a couple years ago and couldn't remember which

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from RTSMikeM:

That looks a little different than my Meteor. I don't think it will fit. Thanks though!

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Could you take some pics of the coin chutes, please? That is a Bally door, but the coin parts might transfer to the OPs butchered door. If the coin chutes are the same I think a parts transfer might work. but it would need to be rewired but that would not be too hard of a job. Bally and Stern were sort of joined at the hip.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Bally and Stern were sort of joined at the hip.

That's what I was thinking, very similar. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 199.95
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-coin-door-missing?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.