Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by debaser
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm working on a friends Meteor that is having a strange issue that I can't figure out. In switch test, it's showing that switch 8 (slam/vibration tilt) is active. I've checked all 3 of the slam/vibration tilt switches (coin door, inside left cabinet and underside of playfield next to the left flipper mech). The diodes, switches and wiring on all three are good. I've even unsoldered the wiring at the switch for those 3 switches but it still shows switch 8 active. It's not the MPU board as I tested it in my Meteor and it works fine. All the MPU connectors have been repinned as well.

I've went thru and checked the diodes including all the switches up from switch 8 and they are good. All the switches under switch 8 register in switch test but nothing over 8 will register. That is normal behavior for a switch # above the switch that is active to not register in switch test as my Meteor does this as well.

One odd thing is that when I manually close the slam tilt switch by the left flipper mech, a few of the insert lamps flicker while it's closed. The other two slam tilt switches do not do this.

This one has got me stumped. Any ideas?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Sounds like an issue with a switch and lamp shorting together. See an issue I had with my Eight Ball:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-eight-ball-mpu-resetting

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I isolated the issue to the orange wire which was common to switches 8 (slam tilt switch), 16, 24, 32 and 40. If I unplugged that MPU wire at J2 pin 15 the problem went away and all the other switches worked. Using my meter I had continuity between the orange wire and the common bare wire for the lamps that were flickering when I closed the slam tilt switch that used the orange wire. Finally found that the orange wire was rubbing against this bare wire for the lamps. I never would have found it with my eyes. I had my meter connected to the orange wire and the bare lamp wire. After I pulled a bundle of wires that were tight against the bare lamp wire the meter went open. Taped it up and now all the switches are working properly.

Someone had also did a number on the wiring going to the coin switches, such as soldering the wires to the wrong leads, adding wires that went to nothing, etc. I cleaned all that up and all three coin switches are working as they should.

Now it just needs a good cleaning and some new rubbers. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Boards
Troxel Repair

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-and-switch-8-stuck-on?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.