(Topic ID: 235408)

Stern Meteor

By dskeys63

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

How do you supposed to separate the head and bottom unit of this machine to transport? It has no disconnect plugs. Pain in the buttocks.

#2 5 years ago

You have to unplug some connectors at the rectifier board in the cab and feed the wire harness up into the head.

#3 5 years ago

Bally/Stern just didn't have those every connector going through the neck needs to be disconnected from the board it plugs into.

#4 5 years ago

I don't separate them unless I absolutely have to. I undo the head bolts, lay some cardboard down on the cabinet, put the head face down on the cabinet (tight against the neck) and strap it down to the cabinet. If you have to remove the head to get it in the vehicle or down stairs, etc., then you have do disconnect the harnesses from the boards and feed them through the neck in the cabinet. It is a pain.

#5 5 years ago

Operators still move them that way. Less work & less risk mostly to connectors.

#6 5 years ago

At least with this era of Bally/Stern pins, the connectors are keyed. A connector will only fit on the pins that it was designed to. On Williams games several connectors were the same size and keyed the same. You could reconnect the connectors incorrectly on a Williams pin and destroy a board. When I bought my Barracora I had the seller ship as schudel5 mentioned, connectors still on the boards, but head detached.

#7 5 years ago

I prefer disconnecting and removing the head on this era of Bally/Stern. Makes moving the cab easier without the head on especially in tight spaces or going up/down stairs. Like bluespin said, the connectors are all keyed and unique. Hard to mess up. To make it really easy, label the connectors before removing them so that it's even easier to plug back in. Don't forget to unscrew the ground wire in the head.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

To make it really easy, label the connectors before removing them so that it's even easier to plug back in. Don't forget to unscrew the ground wire in the head.

I always carry a black sharpie in my took kit for that reason when chasing a new pin. Somehow it always seems like the seller has created a narrow hallway, a hairpin turn, or built the house after putting the pinball machine in the place of pickup. . . necessitating the removal of the upper cabinet.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.