(Topic ID: 146002)

Problem Solved thanks guy-------Stern Metallica right flipper won't work, help !

By Darth_Chris

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi guys, I've been reading threads for days now before coming to the conclusion I need to start a new thread. I read Vid's thread about flipper restoration witch was amazing but still did not find the problem.

My Stern metallica right flipper stopped moving one night during a game, machine did not turned off or showed any sign of a problem. Then the white cloud with the awfull smell came from the cabinet. Of course right flipper coil completely burn out. Golddust under it in the cabinet. Hot as hell.

I bought a new right flipper complete assembly from PBL (thank you Terry). fixed everything. changed the fuse on the right flipper, looked in the backbox to see in any fuse was not lit red. All good to go.

As soon I turned the game on ......flipper goes up and coil start over heating again.

I opened the cash door and flipper went down, as soon I close the door flipper goes back up.

I removed the flipper connectors and fuse and as soon I start a game I can select songs from the right flipper button. so signal passes but I don't want to reconnect the flipper connectors and burn another coil.

Where is my problem ?

#2 8 years ago

I had similar problem on my ac/dc and it was the transistor controlling the flipper needed replaced. The flipper goes down when you open the coin door due to the interlock switch. There were some threads about people leaving flipper held while on phone ,ect and the transitor failed from holding flipper too long. Find out which transistor controls the flipper and check the transistor.

#3 8 years ago

will do that, thanks Buddy

#4 8 years ago

Yup check the transistor it failed and is causing content power to go to that flipper .

#5 8 years ago

I agree. It is your transistor.
Not fun to change, but doable.

#7 8 years ago

make sure you call stern tech and ask if there is an upgrade transitor that will not blow next time

#8 8 years ago

For the SAM flipper transistors (Q15 and Q16) it is this one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190

1 month later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

For the SAM flipper transistors (Q15 and Q16) it is this one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190

That was right on !!!!

Thanks again. Took me awhile to get the part and a descent solder gun.

Everything works fine now and I just gave a waxing job on it. So it's shinny and super fast.....love it

Thanks guys

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 12.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-metallica-right-flipper-wont-work-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.