(Topic ID: 224014)

STERN- Make a real Back to the Future pinball machine.

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B894ED0B-1908-4CD2-9D84-2F57F6ED5385 (resized).png
    3A259B36-8244-4ABA-A2AB-F39BC888DB75 (resized).jpeg
    67546794-7F77-476C-87D2-E0E4D92CB410 (resized).jpeg
    584AAD8A-458D-4E79-842F-F19C0AEE5A88 (resized).jpeg
    B88E3998-D846-464C-BE00-687EAF55ECEC.gif
    EV2t.gif
    6F87A750-0EA8-4F82-AE28-A881DD7B5C1E (resized).jpeg
    2011-delorean-solstice-mockup_100230289_m (resized).jpg
    7C94EB54-4C88-4A98-B6A1-9C42A511024B (resized).jpeg
    20180728_202341 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121843 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121926 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121428 (resized).jpg
    20180728_190744 (resized).jpg
    20180728_134839 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Oh...the possibilities with that lcd on spike platform. With three films to pull from, it could be a sweet pin.

C'mon, we all know that the 1985 film is immortalized in all our hearts, and it's arguably one of the greatest films ever made. (No offense to the Data East version, cause it looks nice but it plays like a dud)
    111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 (resized).jpg111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

No thanks. Let JJP have this one.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Oh...the possibilities with that lcd on spike platform. With three films to pull from, it could be a sweet pin.
    C'mon, we all know that the 1985 film is immortalized in all our hearts, and it's arguably one of the greatest films ever made. (No offense to the Data East version, cause it looks nice but it plays like a dud)
    [quoted image]

Technically, Stern (Data East) did make a BTTF. Just sayin'

#5 5 years ago

I vote JJP so it is built like a tank and Keith can take us through every part of rhe 3 movies, as he like to tell stories through all the mini modes.

#6 5 years ago

100% would buy one.

#7 5 years ago

JJP needs this one. No offense to Stern. While they do make fun games I think JJP would do it better Justice.

#8 5 years ago

With a cabinet wrapped in 304 stainless

#9 5 years ago

If Stern makes this, instant buy for me!

#10 5 years ago

I don't care who does it..someone make it happen!

#11 5 years ago

Back to the Future is a platinum theme for a good pin, that's for sure.

I agree with the people that say JJP should do this, and not Stern. With Stern, chances are just too big for it to become another Star Wars. With which I'm saying: a pretty good game, but not the best when it comes to theme immersion. BTTF needs awesome theme immersion.

IMHO, a new BTTF pin should not just have the logo slapped on it as many times as possible and the main theme playing all day long. Instead, it should make the player feel like he's experiencing an adventure *inside* the BTTF world, with all the appropriate bells, whistles, sights and sounds that come with that. Attention to detail in every aspect is key. To me, JJP has the best cards to pull this off.

#12 5 years ago

than, to follow the overall idea exposed here (about JJP has to do it) : if its done in the same mood as DI, than i'm in... else

#13 5 years ago

I know if a BTTF pin was made my missus would definitely be keen to get it, regardless of who makes it.
    It is her all time favourite movies!

#14 5 years ago

JJP?

LOL!

I guess if you want pay nearly 10K, wait a year after the announcement, then watch its best feature gets stripped without so much as a shrug.

Oh, and no scenes from the movie. Let's not forget that.

No thanks.

Stern all the way on this one.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Technically, Stern (Data East) did make a BTTF. Just sayin'

Didn't I already mention this above?

Just sayin'....

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

JJP?
    LOL!
    I guess if you want pay nearly 10K, wait a year after the announcement, then watch its best feature gets stripped without so much as a shrug.
    No thanks.

Since we are a living in fantasyland here, I'd prefer to see Williams re-enter the pinball business, and build a new WPC BTTF with an LCD and expanded memory designed by Steve Ritchie, with another version a widebody by Pat Lawlor!!!!

I would also like this game to be delivered to me personally by Ann Margret in a bikini circa 1960.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Since we are a living in fantasyland here, I'd prefer to see Williams re-enter the pinball business, and build a new WPC BTTF with an LCD and expanded memory!!!!
    I would also like this game to be delivered to me personally by Ann Margret in a bikini circa 1960.

Why is it fantasy? It's a solid license, especially compared to many that have been done already.

#18 5 years ago

I'll vote a big pass on Stern making it as they won't do the theme justice. Only JJP can pull off a BTTF Trilogy pin with multiple interactive toys and deep as well as unique code that spans all 3 movies.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Why is it fantasy? It's a solid license, especially compared to many that have been done already.

Oh I could def see a BTTF pin getting made, after Ghostbusters I believe any 80s blockbuster is fair game.

It's just kind of funny to see people arguing over who is going to make this thing as if it's a done deal, and it quickly devolving into the usual JJP vs. Stern nonsense.

(besides we all know Deeproot is working on it right now)

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Since we are a living in fantasyland here, I'd prefer to see Williams re-enter the pinball business, and build a new WPC BTTF with an LCD and expanded memory!!!!

"Why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here."

----

Just saying that if Stern makes it, I'll have a chance at affording one. If Jersey Jack makes it, I'll probably have to sell a kidney or two, which is also fine.

In either case, I better be able to rock out to Huey Lewis and the News, and the game better call me butthead. A properly done BTTF game would be an insta-buy for me.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

JJP?
    LOL!
    No thanks.

You do realize that the latest Stern LE's are nearly 10k? Lack of video assets in Pirates is due to a restriction from the license holder, just like how TWD lacks actor audio and any mention of the actors in its code. Oh, same goes for Guardians lacking actor audio and having terrible voice actor callouts.

#22 5 years ago

BTTF is an instant buy from me, don’t care who makes it as long as it’s fun and does the theme justice I’ll be in line for one.

#23 5 years ago

It's a rare vintage franchise where all the main principals are still alive and, for the most part, underemployed. I'm sure it wouldn't be too tough to get say, Chris Lloyd and Biff on board for some original speech.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a rare vintage franchise where all the main principals are still alive and, for the most part, underemployed. I'm sure it wouldn't be too tough to get say, Chris Lloyd and Biff on board for some original speech.

Doubt it would be hard to get MJF on board, you probably know better than I do Levi but wasn’t the real reason he wasn’t on the DE game due to contract negotiations at the time and his management rather than him?

Could also put a percentage of sales to his Foundation, he seems to be very keen to support that anyway he can, Pepsi, Nike etc

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You do realize that the latest Stern LE's are nearly 10k? Lack of video assets in Pirates is due to a restriction from the license holder, just like how TWD lacks actor audio and any mention of the actors in its code. Oh, same goes for Guardians lacking actor audio and having terrible voice actor callouts.

You do realize that their Pro models are mid 5K, and the Premium a little over 7K?

GOTG had plenty of video of the actors. Pirates doesn't even have that.

Hard pills to swallow for sure......

#26 5 years ago

I’d rather see a Goonies machine since it hasn’t been done already!

Enough with the remakes for a while.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I’d rather see a Goonies machine since it hasn’t been done already!
    Enough with the remakes for a while.

Not really a remake, just the same theme...

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Not really a remake, just the same theme...

Yeah - I get it but most didn’t think it was good for JJP to make another potc even though the new offering is fantastic.

Kind of how I feel with another BTTF.

#29 5 years ago

I just hope whichever company tells you before you get excited that it would have no clips from the movie in it. Sure wouldn't buy that.

#30 5 years ago

LOL! The downvotes!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #31 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just hope whichever company tells you before you get excited that it would have no clips from the movie in it. Sure wouldn't buy that.

I played a production Pirates on Saturday, and I can't say it's hurt by having no movie clips. I'm not particularly fond of the movies and really don't care, and original animations are great. It's basically a branded generic pirates theme which is fine with me, the "immersion" is great for players.

Of course I am fond of BTTF, but I don't think clips are necessary to make a good pin as long as there was good original speech by the cast or excellent sound-a-likes.

Besides, nobody here really knows what they want anyway. Star Wars was slammed by some for being a "jukebox pin" that relied too heavlily on clips from the movies. We've all seen these movies a million times so what do DVD clips give us anyway?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I played a production Pirates on Saturday, and I can't say it's hurt by having no movie clips. I'm not particularly fond of the movies and really don't care, and original animations are great.
    Of course I am fond of BTTF, but I don't think clips are necessary to make a good pin.
    Besides, nobody here really knows what they want anyway. Star Wars was slammed by some for being a "jukebox pin" that relied too heavlily on clips from the movies. We've all seen these movies a million times so what do DVD clips give us anyway?

Clips (or even just flashes like GOTG) won't make a pin great, but not having SOME is ridiculous. Terrible integration and extremely cheap for the prices we're paying.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I played a production Pirates on Saturday, and I can't say it's hurt by having no movie clips. I'm not particularly fond of the movies and really don't care...

I'm with you on Pirates...the less Depp the better and I don't really remember anything aboot the movies and haven't seen the last few.
    Future is a little diff'rent for me, but overall I just don't like the idea or direction of it as a whole. It's like licensing a theme, which I don't think needs to be done.
    PLay/rules matters the most as always, the way both companies handled it seems a little shifty to me.

#34 5 years ago

I guess it would be cool. You could certainly bring in a lot of retro 80's goodness to appeal to guys my age. Problem with themes like BTTF is there is so much material and such high expectations, it would be tough to pull off. The whole time travel thing was great in movies but I don't see how you can capture that in pinball. It would just boil down to different modes for the different parts of the movie. Shot that ramp, shot the other ramp, hit some target, etc. It would just be like any other pin imo. If there was a heavy focus on the DeLorean, then that would be cool but probably be another license for that.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If there was a heavy focus on the DeLorean, then that would be cool but probably be another license for that.

I doubt that would cost much. I know the guy that owns the DMC name now. Has a repair shop in Houston, owns all the old parts as well as the name.

He has a BTTF pin in the lobby of his store. I'm sure he's licences it cheap for a new pinball game. And that's only if you used the DMC name and logo.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

"Why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here."

That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship

“It’s a screen door on a submarine, you dork!”

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

LOL! The downvotes![quoted image]

Captain Picard would prefer JJP over Stern, you know it to be true, lol. Seriously though are the rumors that Deeproot is making a BTTF pin seem pretty solid? I just hope someone is making it at this point.

#39 5 years ago

I hope Stern doesn't buy the rights to the theme and then do nothing with them

#40 5 years ago

I think on a recent podcast Joe Kaminkow said he is still very close with Universal and the BTTF licensing folks. So my guess would be a future Ka-pow title someday.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Captain Picard would prefer JJP over Stern, you know it to be true, lol.

All the more reason to stick with Stern!

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seriously though are the rumors that Deeproot is making a BTTF pin seem pretty solid? I just hope someone is making it at this point.

I'll wait and see on Deeproot. They could be another JJP, or actually ship in a reasonable time period. They may also not be afraid to walk away from a compromised licensee.

#42 5 years ago

The licensing fee must be insane for BTTF, otherwise it would have been done already.

#43 5 years ago

I'd love to see a Delorean on a spring.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh I could def see a BTTF pin getting made, after Ghostbusters I believe any 80s blockbuster is fair game.
    It's just kind of funny to see people arguing over who is going to make this thing as if it's a done deal, and it quickly devolving into the usual JJP vs. Stern nonsense.
    (besides we all know Deeproot is working on it right now)

That is actually a pretty good guess.

It is exactly the kind of license Deeproot would buy...... if it wasn't already taken?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

“It’s a screen door on a submarine, you dork!”

"Eight o'clock Monday, runt. If you ain't here, I'll hunt you and shoot you down like a duck."

I'm always waiting for BTTF to happen in the pinball world. I love those movies so much; the characters, OST, memorable lines, soundtrack with Huey Lewis, overlap of multiplegenerations - it's just a fantastic trilogy, and I'm so glad as long as "Bob and Bob" are alive, Hollywood will not get its hands on it.

I've already posted a bunch of pictures of the DeLorean I've owned for....15 years this November so let's do something different. During a TDY in Oxnard just this month, my fiance and I went to a bunch of locations they shot for the movie. Of course, we visited the pinnacle for BTTF nerds - the McFly house.

20180728_134839 (resized).jpg20180728_134839 (resized).jpg

And of course we visited the mall where the time machine is first unveiled:

20180728_190744 (resized).jpg20180728_190744 (resized).jpg

Pretty cool that the Twin Pines Mall sign is actually still in the mall to this day:

20180728_202341 (resized).jpg20180728_202341 (resized).jpg

But, of all the places, the train tracks where the DeLorean is completely destroyed was the most fun one to me. Something about knowing this is where the trilogy wrapped up, and the fact that it "seems deep in Hill Valley" but really it's maybe 1/3 of a mile from the Pacific Ocean...it's just a very cool and unique location to visit. I ran into other fans doing the same thing when I visited it the second time the same week. It's in a very quiet area off Ventura road in Port Hueneme. Really attests to the power of film-making and "setting the mood and location".

20180728_121926 (resized).jpg20180728_121926 (resized).jpg20180728_121428 (resized).jpg20180728_121428 (resized).jpg20180728_121843 (resized).jpg20180728_121843 (resized).jpg

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

"Eight o'clock Monday, runt. If you ain't here, I'll hunt you and shoot you down like a duck."

"It's dog, Buford. Shoot him down like a dog."

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

"It's dog, Buford. Shoot him down like a dog."

LET'S GO BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!! Let these sissies have their stupid party!!!!!!!!

#48 5 years ago

Hahaha, and I thought I was a huge fan of the trilogy! You got me beat for sure. Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

... Of course, we visited...

you make my day ! and more strangely (but not so much in fact, as said above, this trilogy touched more than 1 generation) my son too (he's "only" 23 years)

#50 5 years ago

Just saw a new Fiat commercial using the BTTF theme song with a cameo by Christopher Lloyd. BTTF still showing up all over the place!

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-make-a-real-back-to-the-future-pinball-machine-?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.