(Topic ID: 224014)

STERN- Make a real Back to the Future pinball machine.

By shacklersrevenge

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B894ED0B-1908-4CD2-9D84-2F57F6ED5385 (resized).png
    3A259B36-8244-4ABA-A2AB-F39BC888DB75 (resized).jpeg
    67546794-7F77-476C-87D2-E0E4D92CB410 (resized).jpeg
    584AAD8A-458D-4E79-842F-F19C0AEE5A88 (resized).jpeg
    B88E3998-D846-464C-BE00-687EAF55ECEC.gif
    EV2t.gif
    6F87A750-0EA8-4F82-AE28-A881DD7B5C1E (resized).jpeg
    2011-delorean-solstice-mockup_100230289_m (resized).jpg
    7C94EB54-4C88-4A98-B6A1-9C42A511024B (resized).jpeg
    20180728_202341 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121843 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121926 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121428 (resized).jpg
    20180728_190744 (resized).jpg
    20180728_134839 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 9 months ago

lots of very cool ideas in this topic !!! i love all this

and even if at first i was thinking this will never happends... i can now feel i could be wrong !? (let's pray than)

#152 9 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

It's "DeLorean" !!!! Whew, as an owner, I about lost it seeing it misspelled 3 times ; ) ...!
    As far as the fire trails, I could see it being something similar to the drag strip in Corvette. Maybe LEDs that light up underneath the car as it is pulled up the PF... or maybe the car zooms super crazy fast up the PF - a la the Shadow - and the LEDs light up nearly instantaneously.
    Can you imagine a BTTF machine being made with all the toys/features you mentioned??? Dude, you'd practically be able to buy a DeLorean for the amount JJP or Stern would probably charge to build a game with all of those things.

That’s my phone for some reason it always autocorrects/autofills with “on” instead of “an” not a clue why.

I thought about Corvette when I was just messing about with ideas earlier but wouldn’t want such a large portion of the game covered/one dimensional. But the idea is solid.

As for the toys/features, I don’t think it’s too much I just think we have been conditioned over the years to expect less and less which seems to be slowly changing and we are getting more again.

Plus it’s not that dissimilar to something like BM66 (has turntable, physical ball lock, magnets, mini lcd, VUK, 2 ramps, or STLE (magnets, 2 x kickbacks, drops, 3 ramps, led side rails) or Dialled In (Magnets, 3D mini screen, ramps/witeforms everywhere, scoops, VUKs, camera, Bluetooth etc etc)

I’ll admit 3 different types of kickback/ball save probably wouldn’t ever happen but it would be cool, as I think the most important part of a BTTF machine is making it look and physically feel different in each time period, that’s the magic/money shot!

#153 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, I would much rather Stern just reuse the Walking Dead layout, make the barn the clock tower with a giant Biff head and then charge nearly $10k for the LE. Could be out next year! Lol.
    If Stern could make BTTF in the way they made Star Wars I would be cool with that in regards to the game containing deep code that spans all 3 films with licensed actor audio, video, and music. Stern did a pretty good job with that game.

Not every pin can be as innovative as The Hobbit, with its futuristic use of drop targets, MM trolls (2x the amount!) and exclusive “almost interactive" dragon head on a swivel. Wait! Almost forgot the tiny FT-ish center ramp. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

#154 9 months ago

How about toys with 3 sides to them, wherein depending where you are in the game movie wise the other 2 sides are below the playfield, only revealing themselves with the progression of the game? Like the 3 types of Biffs or 3 clock towers

#155 9 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

How about toys with 3 sides to them, wherein depending where you are in the game movie wise the other 2 sides are below the playfield, only revealing themselves with the progression of the game? Like the 3 types of Biffs or 3 clock towers

Hey stop stealing my ideas

#156 9 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Or maybe a giant printed folgers coffee can that turns to reveal...oh wait, that was already done. It sucked.

#157 9 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Or maybe a giant printed folgers coffee can that turns to reveal...oh wait, that was already done. It sucked.

Don’t knock that Vire, on a BTTF that mech could be useful eye candy.

I think the biggest challenge with a BTTF pin is implementing the time travel aspects effectively, having the clock tower on the BDK can mech would allow you to show all 4 sides depending what time frame/mode you where in.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be interactive just that visual change in the game would go along way imo, like I said on the previous page having a mech that can revolve under the playfield and change the DeLorean along with the clock tower would be a nice effect and that could be interactive like the Demo Man car crash lane.

Physical changes with LCD changes for each time are a must imo.

#158 9 months ago
    Quoted from adborto:

This and Jaws! Stern - I’ll buy them both. I know a few people that would.

Quoted from J85M:

+1 Zen pinballs JAWs layout is great! I would love to see that made into a physical pin just with different code as the modes in the Zen game kinda blow, but if the main playfield was able to tilt during specific modes like in Zens game that would be amazing plus it’s certainly a way for Stern to 1 UP JJPs pirates mini playfield.

Beat me to it, totally up for JAWS, I agree the Zen table got me going, challenging too compared to many of them. I'm finding the BTTF theme a bit meh by comparison, just can't get really excited about McFly and the Doc on a new machine.

#159 9 months ago
    Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Beat me to it, totally up for JAWS, I agree the Zen table got me going, challenging too compared to many of them. I'm finding the BTTF theme a bit meh by comparison, just can't get really excited about McFly and the Doc on a new machine.

Yeah Zen nailed the look and feel of JAWS, the code/modes aren’t great but the layout is very cool and could easily be made into a physical game with a JAWS mech that eats the ball right at the back to replace the CG JAWS that swims around on the Zen table.

I get what you mean about BTTF, the layout is pretty good with some nice features like the flux capacitor ball lock,
    DeLorean and hoverboard shots but the theme integration isn’t great at all, doesn’t feel all that like BTTF which means it misses the charm and excitement the theme should have.

#160 9 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Cool! Or a part of the playfield that actually does this, instead of a toy. So, less like Bride of Pinbot and more like Lights, Camera, Action! That game has either a ramp to the upper playfield or a lane to the upper left flipper, dependent on what part of the rotating playfield is up.

#161 9 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Not following this reference...?

#162 9 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Not following this reference...?

Batman The Dark Knight's central "toy". It was/is terrible and lazy. A rotating coffee can with art on it that opens on one side.

#163 9 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Batman The Dark Knight's central "toy". It was/is terrible and lazy. A rotating coffee can with art on it that opens on one side.

Sounds like he was more referring to something like BOP

#164 9 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like he was more referring to something like BOP

BoP was cool. BDK was not.

#165 9 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Shooting 2 and 3 back to back with no break really hurt the storytelling. With some more development time both could have been closer to the even pace and quality of the first. As they are, they're fine, they just don't hold up to the first.

The storytelling in Part III is just fine. It's a simpler, direct story like the first one.

Part II suffers from trying to cram in too much story in 2 hours. It disappointed audiences, and that bad taste was still around 6 months later, and hurt Part III's box office. In that sense, having a film come out 6 months later was a mistake.

#166 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

The storytelling in Part III is just fine. It's a simpler, direct story like the first one.
    Part II suffers from trying to cram in too much story in 2 hours. It disappointed audiences, and that bad taste was still around 6 months later, and hurt Part III's box office. In that sense, having a film come out 6 months later was a mistake.

That was Robert Zemeckis decision, he wasn’t/isn’t a fan of cliffhangers and didn’t want to leave audiences waiting for the conclusion to the story.

He was ahead of his time on that one, in this day and age of instant gratification and the need for everything instantly it would have most probably done the opposite and made a fortune.

#167 9 months ago
    Quoted from J85M:

That was Robert Zemeckis decision, he wasn’t/isn’t a fan of cliffhangers and didn’t want to leave audiences waiting for the conclusion to the story.
    He was ahead of his time on that one, in this day and age of instant gratification and the need for everything instantly it would have most probably done the opposite and made a fortune.

I don't have a problem with them releasing it 6 month later. My point was, if audiences don't like Part II, it's going to F*ck Part III over coming out so soon afterwords.

Same exact thing happened to the Matrix II and III.

#168 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I don't have a problem with them releasing it 6 month later. My point was, if audiences don't like Part II, it's going to F*ck Part III over coming out so soon afterwords.
    Same exact thing happened to the Matrix II and III.

No. Matrix II and III just sucked. Clear that The Wachowski's didn't have writing talent at that point. Matrix 1 was stolen ideas that were crazy and awesome. When they had to follow up with their own writing, they failed miserably. It's clear that II and III have a totally different voice. Awful.

#169 9 months ago

Did any of you Backies know this?

B894ED0B-1908-4CD2-9D84-2F57F6ED5385 (resized).png
    #170 9 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image]

I'm not getting in anything called "Smeg". Nuh-uh.

#171 9 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image]

Yeah there was a few different concepts at first, one was a chamber exposed to a nuclear blast, that then become a fridge, which then became a DeLorean.

Another little fun fact about the refrigerator is that the whole concept and original screenplay on how the fridge would be sent back in time by nuclear exposure, was later used by George Lucas in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls nuclear blast scene where Indy jumps in a lead lined refrigerator to survive the nuclear blast.

#172 9 months ago
    Quoted from J85M:

used by George Lucas in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls nuclear blast scene where Indy jumps in a lead lined refrigerator to survive the nuclear blast.

And lead to the first jumping the shark moment of the 4th movie.

#173 9 months ago
    Quoted from Axl:

And lead to the first jumping the shark moment of the 4th movie.

Haha that whole movie was jumping a lot of sharks start to finish, George Lucas went full on crazy with that one, hopefully Indy 5 brings the series back to its roots a little. And no Shia!!

#174 9 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

No. Matrix II and III just sucked. Clear that The Wachowski's didn't have writing talent at that point. Matrix 1 was stolen ideas that were crazy and awesome. When they had to follow up with their own writing, they failed miserably. It's clear that II and III have a totally different voice. Awful.

Hmm. You should re-read my post. Not sure what you're saying no to. Matrix II sucked, and it sank III (regardless of wether or not III was better) by coming out only six months later with a bad taste still in the audience's mouth.

#175 9 months ago

Why would they line a refrigerator with lead back then? Was it for insulation? Imagine how heavy it was?

#176 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Hmm. You should re-read my post. Not sure what you're saying no to. Matrix II sucked, and it sank III (regardless of wether or not III was better) by coming out only six months later with a bad taste still in the audience's mouth.

I can see that, but the bar was pushed through the floor with Matrix II, so people were already not expecting much of III.

#177 9 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Why would they line a refrigerator with lead back then? Was it for insulation? Imagine how heavy it was?

They probably ran out of asbestos and liquid mercury, so they used lead instead.

#178 9 months ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

They probably ran out of asbestos...

Well I think that went to cig filters back then.

#179 9 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I had to google this, because it seems crazy to use lead in a refrigerator.

The only refrigerators that have ever been lead lined are for nuclear medicine storage and Indiana Jones movies

#180 9 months ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

I had to google this, because it seems crazy to use lead in a refrigerator.

It also seems a little weird to poor mercury in your penis to cure the damn syphilis but hey, they had to try something.

7 months later
    #181 61 days ago

My wife is still very much hoping they make a BTTF pin soon. Would be a have to buy for us.

1 month later
    #182 19 days ago

Bump. Let’s make it happen.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside