(Topic ID: 224014)

STERN- Make a real Back to the Future pinball machine.

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rascal_H
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B894ED0B-1908-4CD2-9D84-2F57F6ED5385 (resized).png
    3A259B36-8244-4ABA-A2AB-F39BC888DB75 (resized).jpeg
    67546794-7F77-476C-87D2-E0E4D92CB410 (resized).jpeg
    584AAD8A-458D-4E79-842F-F19C0AEE5A88 (resized).jpeg
    B88E3998-D846-464C-BE00-687EAF55ECEC.gif
    EV2t.gif
    6F87A750-0EA8-4F82-AE28-A881DD7B5C1E (resized).jpeg
    2011-delorean-solstice-mockup_100230289_m (resized).jpg
    7C94EB54-4C88-4A98-B6A1-9C42A511024B (resized).jpeg
    20180728_202341 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121843 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121926 (resized).jpg
    20180728_121428 (resized).jpg
    20180728_190744 (resized).jpg
    20180728_134839 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago

This girl absolutely nails the BTTF theme.

#52 5 years ago

Idea: During ball 1, you can go Back to the Future, and get a glimpse of what bonuses, modes, pitfalls, etc will be available in ball 2 and 3. You can then continue playing ball 1 with the goal of setting up for (or preventing) those future events in ball 3. Likewise, in ball 3, you can go back in time to complete goals that you missed that are only a part of ball 1. Basically, traveling back/forth between balls to simulate time travel and its advantages. Could get confusing if not done well though!

#53 5 years ago

Just finished watching a BTTF documentary called Back in Time on Netflix reminds me why I love this franchise so much and how easily 88 SLE/Collectors Editions Stern/JJP could sell for stupid money.

#54 5 years ago

Any chance that Dennis Nordmans dream theme for Deeproot could be BTTF ?

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from BentleyBear:

Any chance that Dennis Nordmans dream theme for Deeproot could be BTTF ?

Sure someone said he stated it was unlicensed, I could be wrong, I can’t seem to find the post I recall reading now, will look for it later.

#56 5 years ago

So only Jack could do this justice...

Hmmm...what if Keith and his team were set loose on BTTF? I like that idea mo bettah.

#57 5 years ago

I think JJP would do a better job on this title, but I'd buy it from Stern too. This is a grail title for me. $15k JJP CE, as long as all the toys are there, movie clips, audio from the original actors... I'm in.

#58 5 years ago

It would be really awesome if chimes were incorporated like an EM machine when you go back to the 50s. DE Time Machine did this and I think it was one of most clever ideas ever incorporated into a pinball machine.

#59 5 years ago

I live very close to the DeLorean company and the place where I get my cars inspected inspect their cars. He told me the other day that they are going to start building new ones. They will look just like the old ones but they will have a different engine.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I live very close to the DeLorean company and the place where I get my cars inspected inspect their cars. He told me the other day that they are going to start building new ones. They will look just like the old ones but they will have a different engine.

That doesn’t surprise me the price minty DeLoreans go for especially “BTTF” DeLoreans it would be mad not to build a few and capitalise. Make a BTTF Limited Edition

BTTF3 was the least popular to most yet the DeLorean from the film sold for $600k I think and that was years ago at auction.

#61 5 years ago

I liked the last one. I wish they would remake the movies with a modern flair. It could be awesome

#62 5 years ago

I’d prefer stern to make it, but I would buy this pin from anyone that made it. It’s so disappointing how terrible the DE one is.

And the 3rd movie is underrated. Watch it again, it’s awesome.

7C94EB54-4C88-4A98-B6A1-9C42A511024B (resized).jpeg7C94EB54-4C88-4A98-B6A1-9C42A511024B (resized).jpeg
    #63 5 years ago

If it’s Stern, most of the game is fairly predictable right now. Standard body, pops nest, Italian bottom, some loops and ramps. Bash toy, probably Biff? Pro will have a flat plastic Dolorean, Prem/LE will have a molded one and maybe some extra drops. It’s shipping next week!

With JJP it’ll take two years but virtually everything is on the table: multiple interactive toys you’ve never dreamed of, real chimes, multiple subways, standard or wide, etc.

I’m hoping JJP.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I liked the last one. I wish they would remake the movies with a modern flair. It could be awesome

That will never happen Bob Gale has said multiple times on record, he wont allow BTTF to be remade, think his exact words at one convention where along the lines of "yeah I have been asked if a remake is an option, my response was over my dead f**king body that will happen"

And Robert Zemeckis I believe is in complete agreement with him on the matter, honestly though I don't think it needs remaking it is truly timeless and imo one of if not the best trilogy ever put to film.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

That will never happen Bob Gale has said multiple times on record,

Yup

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

it is truly timeless and imo one of if not the best trilogy ever put to film.

I have to agree with that. I watch it over and over.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Just did a little google search to check I was correct and I am, nothing can happen until Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis are dead, Zemeckis is on record as saying as much "That can't happen until both Bob (Gale) and I are dead. And then I'm sure they'll do it, unless there's a way our estates can stop it."

Frank Marshall who was the producer on all 3 films is also against the originals being touched "Yeah [we won't reboot Back To The Future], as long as I have my say. No, that one exists just like E.T. -- we're never touching those. I love watching it".

I also found out something pretty cool about Bob Gale today while watching a BTTF documentary, which gives you a really good idea of just how uncompromising Bob and Robert are, Bob was offered $75,000 back when they where making the first BTTF to use a Ford Mustang instead of a DeLorean by some exec to which his response was "Doc Brown doesn't drive a f**king mustang!"

#68 5 years ago

I have never purchased a NIB LE, but I would for a BTTF. Even if I had to sell half my collection to get it.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

It would be really awesome if chimes were incorporated like an EM machine when you go back to the 50s. DE Time Machine did this and I think it was one of most clever ideas ever incorporated into a pinball machine.

Love this idea.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They've been saying that for 2-3 years now. They also said an all electric version would hit the market - didn't happen. They also said they'd install stage 3 superchargers on them. Think I've seen 2 since that was announced back in 2012.

They were even considering saving the Pontiac Solstice, and that got one drawing and that was that.

2011-delorean-solstice-mockup_100230289_m (resized).jpg2011-delorean-solstice-mockup_100230289_m (resized).jpg

They have announced making "new" DeLoreans every 5-8 years. Did it on GMA in 2007, even though they have been doing exactly what they announced since 1997:

They know they have the best free publicity of one of the most niche items in the world.

I've learned with them - do NOT believe it until you hear the engine and see it driving.

#71 5 years ago

If any of you haven’t seen “Back in Time” I recommend watching it, I watched it when it first came out but was a little young to appreciate it, now I’m in the big 30s I certainly appreciated the insight into the franchise, also gives you a nice look at how they license and merchandise and the guy responsible is not a universal employee but a fan who’s now connected with Bob & Robert.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

BTTF3 was the least popular to most yet the DeLorean from the film sold for $600k I think and that was years ago at auction.

I wouldn't say that. The reason III made less money than II was because it came out only 6 months after the 2nd one, and the bad taste of that film hurt Part III at the box office.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

That will never happen Bob Gale has said multiple times on record, he wont allow BTTF to be remade, think his exact words at one convention where along the lines of "yeah I have been asked if a remake is an option, my response was over my dead f**king body that will happen"
    And Robert Zemeckis I believe is in complete agreement with him on the matter, honestly though I don't think it needs remaking it is truly timeless and imo one of if not the best trilogy ever put to film.

As much as I hate remakes, this one I'd be OK with. I'd love to watch a kid from today get stuck in the 80's. I'd feel like my dad did watching the original when it came out.

Besides, the President joke still works.

"Tell me future boy, who's President of the United States in 2018?" "Donald Trump." "Donald Trump? The real estate tycoon?!?!?"

"I suppose Ivana Trump's the first lady!"

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

As much as I hate remakes, this one I'd be OK with. I'd love to watch a kid from today get stuck in the 80's. I'd feel like my dad did watching the original when it came out.

You don’t need a remake for that man. I’ve done this with my 7 year old boy, he only really watches superhero films pretty much all he is interested in but he watched every BTTF from start to finish, he can’t make it all the way through Toy Story.

He got excited at all the parts I did at his age like the first time you see the DeLoreon, first time it goes back to the future and leaves the fire trails, hoverboard scene in 2 he loved and wanted a hoverboard, there timeless besides there hasn’t been a remake of anything that’s better than the originals and most of those weren’t as good as BTTF to begin with.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

You don’t need a remake for that man. I’ve done this with my 7 year old boy, he only really watches superhero films pretty much all he is interested in but he watched every BTTF from start to finish, he can’t make it all the way through Toy Story.
    He got excited at all the parts I did at his age like the first time you see the DeLoreon, first time it goes back to the future and leaves the fire trails, hoverboard scene in 2 he loved and wanted a hoverboard, there timeless besides there hasn’t been a remake of anything that’s better than the originals and most of those weren’t as good as BTTF to begin with.

I'm already doing this. My 6 year old recently watched the original with us and loved it.

You missed my point. I was talking about myself enjoying a modern kid getting stuck in the 80's.

Just an observation that generational time travel is ageless, because everything changes so much in any given 30 years.

#76 5 years ago

Yup, it's a timeless trilogy that was pretty much perfectly made with a ton of detail throughout the 3 films that tie them all together in unique ways. Back to the Future is just pure fun is still extremely popular today.

Pinball fans and owners deserve a new modern Back to the Future pin. If done correctly it would be a huge hit. Really this theme should be a no brainer for a company making pinball machines in 2018.

My fear with Stern making a new BTTF pin is that they won't do the theme justice. Stern is too inconsistent with code support and simply won't put the same amount of time and effort into code that JJP does. All 3 Back to the Future films are full of detail that in my opinion only JJP can properly represent thanks to Keith Johnson and Ted Estes ability to tell an entire themes story, in detail, through their code work.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I wouldn't say that. The reason III made less money than II was because it came out only 6 months after the 2nd one, and the bad taste of that film hurt Part III at the box office.

I didn’t mean it was a bad film I love all 3 and while I was too young back when they where released in theatres I am aware that some didn’t like part 2 for various reasons (plot, need to know part 1, handling of Jennifer) but practically everyone I know chooses the 1st and 2nd as their favourite, I personally love the trippy back and forth time teravelling they do and the “dark” future plus as a kid the hoverboard and flying cars stick with you

All 3 are amazing and would make a killer must buy!

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

You missed my point. I was talking about myself enjoying a modern kid getting stuck in the 80's.

Yeah sorry I did miss that a little, probably because my son didn’t even realise or didn’t care I don’t know that the first is set in the 80s and not the present like all his other movies.

He noticed a few things specifically asked about the TVs and why they are so chunky which made me laugh.

I just don’t think a remake would capture the same magic/lighting in a bottle the originals managed. And remakes pretty much all suck balls would hate for BTTF to be tainted like other classics Robocop, Total Recall come to mind, although Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel in the same film was pretty damn good!

#79 5 years ago

Flux capacitor ball lock? 1.21 gigawatts

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I was thinking the same, 3 way ball lock that you have to complete before you can start modes? After all you can’t go back to the future without a flux capacitor

Have it setup a little like Maiden so you can get your super pops, ramps, orbits etc powered up then lock to access modes.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Yeah sorry I did miss that a little, probably because my son didn’t even realise or didn’t care I don’t know that the first is set in the 80s and not the present like all his other movies.
    He noticed a few things specifically asked about the TVs and why they are so chunky which made me laugh.
    I just don’t think a remake would capture the same magic/lighting in a bottle the originals managed. And remakes pretty much all suck balls would hate for BTTF to be tainted like other classics Robocop, Total Recall come to mind, although Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel in the same film was pretty damn good!

What's funny is, BOTH the 50's and 80's TV's were clunky!

I really do hate remakes...mostly because they are aren't doing anything new. I guess why I'd give a BTTF remake a pass (assuming it was done well of course) is because it would be doing something new....flipping the jokes for a different time period.

Anyway, it's never happening. Just an observation I've had.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Besides, the President joke still works.
    "Tell me future boy, who's President of the United States in 2018?" "Donald Trump." "Donald Trump? The real estate tycoon?!?!?"
    "I suppose Ivana Trump's the first lady!"

“Alternate 1985 Biff” was actually inspired by Donald Trump. Bob Gale (screenwriter for BTTF2) said he modeled that character based on Trump

6F87A750-0EA8-4F82-AE28-A881DD7B5C1E (resized).jpeg6F87A750-0EA8-4F82-AE28-A881DD7B5C1E (resized).jpeg
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

They've been saying that for 2-3 years now. They also said an all electric version would hit the market - didn't happen. They also said they'd install stage 3 superchargers on them. Think I've seen 2 since that was announced back in 2012.
    They were even considering saving the Pontiac Solstice, and that got one drawing and that was that.
    [quoted image]
    They have announced making "new" DeLoreans every 5-8 years. Did it on GMA in 2007, even though they have been doing exactly what they announced since 1997:

They know they have the best free publicity of one of the most niche items in the world.
    I've learned with them - do NOT believe it until you hear the engine and see it driving.

I love that DMC has it's own pre order scams! Of course they do!

As for the movies...

The first one is an absolute classic. It's just great. The second one was a bit of a mess and the third one I thought was a bit better, but I like westerns. Taken together it really is a pretty good trilogy but the first one is really the only one that matters. The sequels were really hurt by the exclusion of Crispin Glover, who they tried to shortchange in negotiations and didn't really seem that interested in doing the sequels anyway.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Yes!

Rip a spinner to get your car up to 88MPH then hit the clock tower shot to timetravel

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

Yes!
    Rip a spinner to get your car up to 88MPH then hit the clock tower shot to timetravel

That would be pretty cool to integrate the spinner into the ball lock where it only takes the ball if it hits a certain speed or revolutions. Y shaped 3 ball lock that when released has some sort of nuclear fusion lighting effects.

Forgot, I think the game needs the Libyan VW mini van as well, bash toy?

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

That would be pretty cool to integrate the spinner into the ball lock where it only takes the ball if it hits a certain speed or revolutions. Y shaped 3 ball lock that when released has some sort of nuclear fusion lighting effects.
    Forgot, I think the game needs the Libyan VW mini van as well, bash toy?

Man if that’s possible with the spinner integration that would be great and demand a super clean fast shot which would add some challenge to an otherwise easy/simple lock, love that idea dude

Could live without the bashtoy though got enough of those, maybe a clock tower turntable like BM66 but on a smaller scale, turns to show the face of the time period your in - think that’s what the zen pinball table does and it’s pretty neat.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

That would be pretty cool to integrate the spinner into the ball lock where it only takes the ball if it hits a certain speed or revolutions.

a spinner on an up down post? That would be very cool!

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Man if that’s possible with the spinner integration that would be great and demand a super clean fast shot which would add some challenge to an otherwise easy/simple lock, love that idea dude
    Could live without the bashtoy though got enough of those, maybe a clock tower turntable like BM66 but on a smaller scale, turns to show the face of the time period your in - think that’s what the zen pinball table does and it’s pretty neat.

Well @chubtoad suggested ripping a spinner to hit 88 mph and I think it could be tied to the lock.

Call it a collaboration! Lol

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

No thanks. Let JJP have this one.

LOL how many years do you want to wait for the game

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

No thanks. Let JJP have this one.

I agree, wish they got Munsters.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You do realize that the latest Stern LE's are nearly 10k? Lack of video assets in Pirates is due to a restriction from the license holder, just like how TWD lacks actor audio and any mention of the actors in its code. Oh, same goes for Guardians lacking actor audio and having terrible voice actor callouts.

LOL You do realize that JJP has raised prices by %50 from WOZ to POTC there has also been a ton cut from game one to game 4

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I've always loved both their responses to doing a remake. When left to their own devices, Hollywood runs everything into the ground with bad remakes and sequels.

I'm even glad they haven't redone the effects or change things in the films like Spielberg with ET or Lucas with SW. Guido shot first and Cops had shotguns in my versions of ET/SW

#93 5 years ago

Ok Spooky, announce you are interested in BTTF to get Gary to make it happen.

#94 5 years ago

I'm guessing every manufacturer has looked into BTTF. Odd that there is no confirmed industry information as to why a game hasn't been made.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL You do realize that JJP has raised prices by %50 from WOZ to POTC there has also been a ton cut from game one to game 4

JJP lost money on every single ECLE sold at $6500. Of course they had to raise the price from 7 years ago when WOZ was first announced. Also, every single JJP game has been loaded up in different ways.

If you want to complain about prices I recommend yelling at Stern for NIB games being $3500 in 2005 to more then double the price today for games with similar features but containing poorer quality playfields, using lower quality wood in cabinets, running the risk of cabinets splitting, and not knowing when code will be completed if it's completed at all. I don't understand complaining about a company rasing prices that is actually dedicated to producing a quality product, dedicated to code and dedicated to offering feature packed games. Rant over, lol.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I'm guessing every manufacturer has looked into BTTF.

From what I’ve just found out they haven’t, only two companies have approached Universal and the licensing/product advisor for BTTF, those are Zen Pinball and VPCabs both of which have produced a product one in direct collaboration with MJF (Marty), Lloyd (Doc) and Thompson (Lorraine) I am amazed this licence hasn’t been locked in yet and in the pipeline at Stern or JJP!?

#97 5 years ago

I love this part of the movie.

EV2t.gifEV2t.gif
    #98 5 years ago

Would MJ Fox give licensing approval this time is the question.

#99 5 years ago

This is definitely something I could see myself not buying.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Would MJ Fox give licensing approval this time is the question.

It wasn’t the fact he didn’t allow it last time, I believe the truth is something to do with him going through contract negotiations etc and it was his management that was the reason he didn’t make it onto Data East’s pin.

He was involved with VPCabs BTTF themed version of their VP Wizard and Upright and if there’s involvement with his Parkinson’s Foundation he’s hopefully likely to be in!

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-make-a-real-back-to-the-future-pinball-machine-/page/2?hl=speederice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.