New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 217385)

Stern Maiden sarcophagus

By thunderking50

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by roar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0588 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0587 (resized).jpeg
20180520_193414(1) (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hey guys i am having issue with Stern iron Maiden sarcophagus

Software 0.97

I register Mummy letters till the guardian gate opens , the callouts tells me to shoot the left ramp... i shoot the left ramp the ball goes all the way inside and stops there and stays in front of the door till the ball search starts and then the ball gies into the sarcophagus it bends back and drop the ball and comes out from the middle ramp.. the Guardian door closes but opens right away just like nothing ever registered and Mymmy letters on playfield stays lit.

I made switch and coil test and all looks good unless i missed something

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Well ThunderKing if the game just starts giving you points, I can tell ya that that's the orb leaf switch and it needs bent out slightly.
I had the lifting secret passage entrance give me some trouble at first but after a few reboots and many more games it's fine now. Someone else in another thread had something like this happen, wish I could help more. Hope it works out, cause this machine is killers.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well ThunderKing if the game just starts giving you points, I can tell ya that that's the orb leaf switch and it needs bent out slightly.
I had the lifting secret passage entrance give me some trouble at first but after a few reboots and many more games it's fine now. Someone else in another thread had something like this happen, wish I could help more. Hope it works out, cause this machine is killers.

Yes it is killer i am already in Love

I have try to bend a little the 42 switch in the back of playfield but still not ok

I will try again tomorow , i guess it's only a tweak .

Thanks gryszzz

#4 2 years ago

MF.
Just had my best game yet. On ball 3, just lit 2x scoring with 199m. Get my 3rd sarcophagus lock and the motherfucker stays there till ball search and dribbles down the orbit. Goddamnit.
I'm still on .94....thinkin I should update.
20180520_193414(1) (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

MF.
Just had my best game yet. On ball 3, just lit 2x scoring with 199m. Get my 3rd sarcophagus lock and the motherfucker stays there till ball search and dribbles down the orbit. Goddamnit.

Look at The good side , we got a hell of a game there , the flow the callouts the coding are awesome even the animation just got 25% better in the 0.97 update

I bet its an easy fix but i sent Stern an Email to help me but mostly to tell them lots of of has that isue and they should look it up for our friends the Futur Premium owner .

#6 2 years ago

Mine did that too and the only thing I did was fix a bad leaf switch gap in the mummy captive ball. Since then my sarcophagus problem went away. Should be unrelated but I can't recreate the problem.

#7 2 years ago

Well i just went into test mode and switch 42 load ramp registers all the time

In gameplay it works the first time and says the ball is lock but goes into the sarcophagus but does not stays in there the sarcophagus moves backward and drops the ball into the center ramp tunnel and ball comes out of there , the Mummy lights on playfield stays lit and the guardian door stays open and lit

Shoot it in there again and the ball stays there ..in front of the door

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Yeah updat dat s#it!

#9 2 years ago

I had to adjust the switch at the entrance of the mummy captive ball to because the switch was too low - the ball failed to activate the upper sarcophagus switch 100% of the time. It might still be a little off, but it's much better than before.

With that said, is anyone else having issues with the game detecting when you've knocked the captive ball out of the sarcophagus? This is a pretty annoying issue, but, assuming it's not a programming bug, does anyone know what switch(es) need to be adjusted?

More details: After I lite "MUMMY" the second time and knock the captive ball into play, the game takes a short pause before "activating" mummy multiball. During this time, the game will sometimes kick another ball into play and mistakenly start the mode with 3 balls instead of 2, causing my game to end once two balls drain (even though the 3rd ball is still on the playfield)... I think that immediately hitting the captive ball a second time (after knocking the locked ball into play) might cause this, but there have been plenty of times when I have shot the locked ball into play but mummy multiball failed to activate...

#10 2 years ago

That sounds like it might be the switch in the back of the sarcophagus not detecting the ball exiting maybe?

#11 2 years ago

Ya guys , looks like the sarcophagus switch (switch 40 ) was not detecting the ball so i ajusted the switch and it detected the ball but then the switch
Was to much in the way of the ball if needed to go in backward in the tunnel ...the ball just was staying there so its a hard adjustement to get it really on the spot.

Will update tomorow night on how it turned out .

Thanks for the help guys

#12 2 years ago

So i played this morning and all is great

Adjustement of switch 40 and 42

I hope this will last and we w'ont be adjusting all the time

Switch adjustement on 40 : took the plactic art on sarcophagus i pressed with a screw driver on top and one in bottom to bend it so that it has the perfect shape . Did that while beeing in diag test (IM game) and choose Lock

You can do your test while trying to get the perfect shape on the little metal plate of the switch

Hope this help someone else and i hope i explained good ( french is my first language )

#13 2 years ago

Another issue now , everything is perfect untill i lock the second ball in the sarcophagus , the animation comes on the lcd saying ball 2 lock then the ball drop into the sarcophagus but the game does not give me another ball goes into ball search and sarcophagus moves backward then comes back down and still nothing.

Any idea what to look at ?

1 month later
#14 2 years ago

Following.

1 month later
#15 2 years ago

Oh my , i fixed this 3 months ago...tweeked the switches did not register right , after that it all worked great

2 months later
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Yes it is killer i am already in Love
I have try to bend a little the 42 switch in the back of playfield but still not ok
I will try again tomorow , i guess it's only a tweak .
Thanks gryszzz

I performed surgery on my Sarcophagus "Load Ramp" switch #42 this morning. The photos below should tell the story. The switch wasn't aligned properly and was rubbing against the ramp opening. Stern had installed a clear plastic riser that was too aggressive. I removed Stern's riser and put 5-6 pieces of tape to give the switch just enough lift (to center it). Once the switch is centered, it works great. I prefer this solution to fiddling with the switch itself (which is VERY delicate).

snaroff

IMG_0587 (resized).jpegIMG_0588 (resized).jpeg
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from toymin80r:

is anyone else having issues with the game detecting when you've knocked the captive ball out of the sarcophagus? This is a pretty annoying issue, but, assuming it's not a programming bug, does anyone know what switch(es) need to be adjusted?
More details: After I lite "MUMMY" the second time and knock the captive ball into play, the game takes a short pause before "activating" mummy multiball. During this time, the game will sometimes kick another ball into play and mistakenly start the mode with 3 balls instead of 2, causing my game to end once two balls drain (even though the 3rd ball is still on the playfield)... I think that immediately hitting the captive ball a second time (after knocking the locked ball into play) might cause this, but there have been plenty of times when I have shot the locked ball into play but mummy multiball failed to activate...

As far as I can tell this is caused by the Mummy captive ball not registering a hit when the ball is ejected from the sarcophagus. It's EXTREMELY annoying since you end up with a premature end-of-ball like you describe. And adjusting that switch is pretty tricky. If you have an early-run game, make sure you get the upgrade kit from Stern - it has a pointier actuator rod that sits on the spoon switch.

While I understand why the game would be confused if the ball was ejected without a captive ball hit, why can't they mitigate this with the switches in the sarcophagus itself? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of, but you'd think if the two switches in the sarcophagus register hits AND the bottom one doesn't re-trigger the game could very well "know" the ball isn't in there anymore.

3 months later
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

As far as I can tell this is caused by the Mummy captive ball not registering a hit when the ball is ejected from the sarcophagus. It's EXTREMELY annoying since you end up with a premature end-of-ball like you describe. And adjusting that switch is pretty tricky. If you have an early-run game, make sure you get the upgrade kit from Stern - it has a pointier actuator rod that sits on the spoon switch.
While I understand why the game would be confused if the ball was ejected without a captive ball hit, why can't they mitigate this with the switches in the sarcophagus itself? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of, but you'd think if the two switches in the sarcophagus register hits AND the bottom one doesn't re-trigger the game could very well "know" the ball isn't in there anymore.

Could anyone point me to the updated kit from Stern?

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from hiho:

Could anyone point me to the updated kit from Stern?

I haven't heard of *any* IMDN kits or service bulletins.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I haven't heard of *any* IMDN kits or service bulletins.

there seems to be one for the orbs with a differently shaped tip. havent heard of the mummy one, thats why i am asking.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

i'm seeing the exact same issue. a hit to the captive ball frees the locked ball, but mummy mb does not start right away, it rather takes a while. it kicks out an extra ball from the through and turns the mb to a 3ball from the start, which it shouldn't be. When you are down to two balls and loose one more, you get an end-of-ball despite having one ball in play. My machine is a premium which was just bought NIB, running 1.06. Looking at the manual, the most likely culprit seems to be either sw 39 or sw 40. Hate to take the whole assy part... is there any way to easily get to the switches?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from hiho:

there seems to be one for the orbs with a differently shaped tip. havent heard of the mummy one, thats why i am asking.

Correct...slipped my mind. Don't believe they issued a bulletin, however Chas sent me new ORB actuator's in November of 2018. If you install them, make sure you use "blue" Loctite, or else the will vibrate and unscrew themselves and you'll have to adjust every 20-30 games

#23 1 year ago

Im going to replace the troublesome sw39 with a rollover switch... lets see how that goes.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from hiho:

Im going to replace the troublesome sw39 with a rollover switch... lets see how that goes.

Problem solved -> the old switch was stiff as fuck... after 50 plays replaced with an old fashioned b/w rollover, all good. no more premature end of ball.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from hiho:

Problem solved -> the old switch was stiff as fuck... after 50 plays replaced with an old fashioned b/w rollover, all good. no more premature end of ball.

Yep. I've had this type of stock switch fail very quickly on two different NiB games, TNA (trough switches) and this one IMDN. The nub seems to get very stiff and won't actuate properly anymore.

I don't know why they can't just use classic microswitches that have worked reliably for decades.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yep. I've had this type of stock switch fail very quickly on two different NiB games, TNA (trough switches) and this one IMDN. The nub seems to get very stiff and won't actuate properly anymore.
I don't know why they can't just use classic microswitches that have worked reliably for decades.

Most likely 5c cheaper/piece.

1 year later
#27 3 months ago

Just put a couple of games on maiden, have a minor issue upon shooting the left ramp to lock the ball into the sarcophagus
Basically, the tomb opens, the ball rolls over the switch to activate the sarcophagus, but the speed of the ball rolls back a little and won’t drop down
I have to nudge the machine to assist it to drop, the level of the machine seems right
Any adjustment recommendations?
I was thinking maybe the switch is protruding a little too high

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Just put a couple of games on maiden, have a minor issue upon shooting the left ramp to lock the ball into the sarcophagus
Basically, the tomb opens, the ball rolls over the switch to activate the sarcophagus, but the speed of the ball rolls back a little and won’t drop down
I have to nudge the machine to assist it to drop, the level of the machine seems right
Any adjustment recommendations?
I was thinking maybe the switch is protruding a little too high

Have you swapped the switches with the rollover type? That is what is being described above. Try that first, that made the symptom you described go away completely with my sarcophagus.

#29 3 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure what the rollover type switch looks like though
I’ve not had a lot of experience in pinball mechs

#30 3 months ago

What I believe to be the fix for your issue has been covered a lot in the main IMDN thread and the IMDN Issues thread...

My challenges with it start around here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/43

This is the style of switch I replaced mine with:
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch-180-5119-02.html

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Wanted

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside