(Topic ID: 149658)

Stern Magic feature lamps scrambled, looking for more ideas

By bobnatlanta

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Magic Stern Electronics, 1979

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobnatlanta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've had great help from Cody Chunn, I_Satan and BarakandI on this. The nature of the problem has evolved so I thought I'd summarize in this thread.

Some feature lights work correctly, some do the right thing AND the wrong thing, and some do not work at all. For example: When I start a game, instead of 1000 bonus lit, I have 5X lit. As I manually hit a bonus advance, the multiplier counts down sequentially, and once through the multipliers, the outlanes sequence. If I knock down the drops, the multipliers count up as they should. The Bonus lights do not work at all in test, unless I manually ground them. The back box lights are wacky too, with player up advancing even on a one player game, total players changes during game play, etc...

The problem is found on lamps that are grounded by wires on J1, 2, and 3 on the LDB. All lamps work when grounded with a jumper, and I have run all of the tests in Clay's guide successfully. Everything pulses as it should, and grounding various points on the LDB lights the appropriate lamp. I have an Alltek MPU with the correct dip switch settings for Magic, and have switched in multiple LDBs. The original LDB works fine in another classic Stern. I believe these two factors rule out the boards as a cause. I have matched wires with another working Magic, still no joy. I've searched for shorts on the coin door switches (none) and pulled the wiring harness apart looking for solder splashes that might have bridged wires and found nothing of the sort so far.

So I'm looking for the next great idea for something to check for...or a discount on an exorcism.
Thanks!!

#2 8 years ago

It's a miracle! I cooked up a crazy idea. Thought I'd pull one of the wires on J1 and see what that did to the lights, and see if I could create a variation in the problem and see some kind of pattern. So I pulled the wire to pin 17. None of the feature lights worked, even after I hit the bonus advance a couple of times. So I plugged that wire back in with the power on and noted that I had bonus lights on. WTF?

Powered down and back up, started a game, and all of the feature lamps are now working. So, my conclusion is that through all of my poking, prodding and wiggling of connectors, J1 17 on the LDB never got seated right until just now, thus the game was getting no binary codes for the bonus lamps, and duplicates of the codes for other lights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobnatlanta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-magic-feature-lamps-scrambled-looking-for-more-ideas?tu=bobnatlanta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.