Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DNO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

This is 100% the sockets, and fixing it sux

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

what is the issue with sockets and why only the lower strings failing? what is the fix?

Entire strings going out might be a different cause, I am talking about the flickering of lights under the inlane guides (primarily) and slings.
    The sockets under the inlane guides are different, as they are meant to mount fairly flush, and are stapled in.
    I have removed flipper plates, remove the insulating paper, pry off the staples holding the sockets (I pitch the paper, as I can't install new staples), remove wires, I then clean all the solder off the lugs, and flatten them, now the fix...
    I file the barrel of the socket a little bit, at the bottom along where the lug is, I then add solder, joining the lug and the barrel. I think they are only pressed together, and that's the problem.
    Now, I actually drill a small pilot hole and reattach the socket to the PF with a small stainless screw, the normal ones break.
    Reattach the wires, and I simply put electrical tape over it all when done (a couple pieces, cross cross) to keep potential shorts from happening.
    Then put the flipper plate back on, and check for clearance of the sockets and wiring.
    Pain in the ass, but rock solid lights after that.
    I also throw a dab of solder on the center of the bottom gold part to the other lug, for good measure.
    Ymmv, but works for me on several route machines that had issues.
    If you don't understand this whole description, or aren't comfortable doing all this, don't do it! (Or do so at your own risk)

#22 5 years ago

Also of note, this is not limited to Spike, I have done the same on a few SAM games too.
    Also, I have heard rumor that Stern is addressing this issue, I certainly hope so.
    But it is nice after they are fixed, to see all those lights working every time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DNO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lower-gi-issues-on-spike?tu=DNO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.