12 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100166~01 (resized).jpg
feeb7e2f28fac4b55de8eeaec9f0ca725e7fcd6a~01 (resized).jpg
94687410_240140237046170_4432484838783582208_n (resized).jpg
94881905_957744501346516_8227973427105890304_n (resized).jpg
95370553_227201031877195_6260232760284151808_n (resized).jpg
94274955_712199599516861_7337770283106828288_n (resized).jpg

There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Kaneda just broke the news that an LE LOTR is coming with new sculpts and art work ect..

Not exactly what was said......

Quoted from Waxx:

Kaneda Posted after podcast:
UPDATE on this show after it went up as I got more details on the new LOTR offering.

1. Will be new LOTR art kit available vs entirely new game (not a vault)
2. Will be new cabinet art, PF art, backbox and translite art
3. Will need a LOTR to swap this kit in
4. New sculpt for game
5. PF swap will be required (ugh)
6. Kits will be limited and $$$

This is what was implied. Not a new release but rather new modifications to the current game if you own one.

With all the licensing needed for this title I think a remake would be hard to do without a heap of cash to forked over and that's if they can get the rights to do so again. I personally hope they do so more folks can enjoy this master piece but it will be tough.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

Not to "poop" on the guy selling those kits, but how long before the copyright lawyers shut him down?

The sculpts, doubtful since its his own art and interpretation. Decals though, unless they are different and hand drawn.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It looks even better in person.

They look awesome...how much are they?

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

The sculpts, doubtful since its his own art and interpretation. Decals though, unless they are different and hand drawn.

Doesn't matter if they are different nor hand drawn, you would still be selling artwork based on a copyright protected property.
May not get caught, but it's not legal. The mod community does it all the, but it doesn't make it right nor legal.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

They look awesome...how much are they?

This is a post from the artist himself taken from the LOTR club thread. They are not for sale at this time. Not sure how they will be made available once everything is released.

Quoted from liorillusion:

hello guys. i got few emails and messages after the last Kaneda's Pinball Podcast. first thank you for the love and support and yes im working on a full artwork package for lord of the rings. but i must say IM ONLY THE DESIGNER. im not the one who going to sell it and i dont know what is the cost of it or have more info about whats going on with it sorry. but yes im also making new toys (mods) for this game and they will be sell also as a separate part. i promise to post more progress on the art and on the mods in pinside or in my instagram lior_theartofpinball https://www.instagram.com/lior_theartofpinball/
also same for the decals. they are NOT for sale. i made it for my machine and for 2 friends who have this machine with cabinet damage.
im glad i was chosen to design this great pinball! its one of the best!
thank you very much and thanks for the very nice words on the podcast ❤️

#206 3 years ago

We will be discussing the facts on The Pinball Show coming Monday morning’s podcast episode.

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We will be discussing the facts on The Pinball Show coming Monday morning’s podcast episode.

If it’s an actual Vault. Count me in.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Doesn't matter if they are different nor hand drawn, you would still be selling artwork based on a copyright protected property.
May not get caught, but it's not legal. The mod community does it all the, but it doesn't make it right nor legal.

i must agree with this guy. he his totally right! im in this show business and movies for long years and i respect copyright. i never made a mod with trademark symbol or something like that and im not going to copy or sale any license stuff. im sorry to poop the party but no there is not remake and no vault. and again im just the designer that doing this project for someone and also for my machine. about the decals, my cabinet was with huge damage on the art and i decide to make art for it because i didn't like the original. im not going to sell the design or the decals not only because they are license and also because i want this machine special and only my close friends have this decals and i share with them the design. the sculpts are without copyright or trademark and also the new toys so no the lawyers cant shut me down for my own creation thats not need license. and again im just the designer and not the seller of this stuff. if you check my mods that i made you will not find a lot of mods for stern machine because for stern machines im making only custom made works for clients. so a company will sell my mods and toys for lord of the rings pinball and if they will get license for the cabinet decals (in new design) and on the playfield that im working on they are welcome to sell it but its really not up to me
i respect stern and i respect the movie producer and im doing all because i love this hobby and your support and love worth each minute i spent on this things!
ZMeny and twip will post more info about it very soon and if you want to see the progress you are welcome to check my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/lior_theartofpinball/

thank you guys and i promise to keep you update with the progress!

#209 3 years ago

What We Know: Lord of the Rings Remake Rumors

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/what-we-know-lord-of-the-rings-remake-rumors/

Clarifying some of rumors and misinformation going around about Lord of the Rings!

94274955_712199599516861_7337770283106828288_n (resized).jpg94274955_712199599516861_7337770283106828288_n (resized).jpg95370553_227201031877195_6260232760284151808_n (resized).jpg95370553_227201031877195_6260232760284151808_n (resized).jpg
#210 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

What We Know: Lord of the Rings Remake Rumors
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/what-we-know-lord-of-the-rings-remake-rumors/
Clarifying some of rumors and misinformation going around about Lord of the Rings![quoted image][quoted image]

Well, no need to wait, TWIP is on it!

#211 3 years ago

i must agree with this guy. he his totally right! im in this show business and movies for long years and i respect copyright. i never made a mod with trademark symbol or something like that and im not going to copy or sale any license stuff. im sorry to poop the party but no there is not remake and no vault. and again im just the designer that doing this project for someone and also for my machine. about the decals, my cabinet was with huge damage on the art and i decide to make art for it because i didn't like the original. im not going to sell the design or the decals not only because they are license and also because i want this machine special and only my close friends have this decals and i share with them the design. the sculpts are without copyright or trademark and also the new toys so no the lawyers cant shut me down for my own creation thats not need license. and again im just the designer and not the seller of this stuff. if you check my mods that i made you will not find a lot of mods for stern machine because for stern machines im making only custom made works for clients. so a company will sell my mods and toys for lord of the rings pinball and if they will get license for the cabinet decals (in new design) and on the playfield that im working on they are welcome to sell it but its really not up to me
i respect stern and i respect the movie producer and im doing all because i love this hobby and your support and love worth each minute i spent on this things!
zmeny and twip will post more info about it very soon and if you want to see the progress you are welcome to check my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/lior_theartofpinball/
thank you guys and i promise to keep you update with the progress!

Lior, I sure am glad pinball is your hobby and not quilting.

#212 3 years ago

Hope this is true ! Upgraded lighting etc
This is probably Sterns best game IMOA

#213 3 years ago

I can't imagine why somebody would buy a kit if he has a nice example of this game, that would be such a shame as I find the art package of the original LOTR very well executed.

Even though I must say that you're really talented liorillusion !
Awesome that there's a solution for damaged games!!

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

I can't imagine why somebody would buy a kit if he has a nice example of this game, that would be such a shame as I find the art package of the original LOTR very well executed

Agree on the originals looking nice other than the newspaper print resolution on the cabinet. The LEs on the other hand are butt ugly with the gold trim and the cock on the backglass. That could basically be fixed with an original translite and a little powder coat.

#215 3 years ago

Here is the final version of the Lord of the Rings new playfield artwork that everyone has been talking about (background only - before rendering and inserts)!

Shared with permission from artist.

For more information on this project, visit https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/what-we-know-lord-of-the-rings-remake-rumors/

You can also follow along here at this Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/lior_theartofpinball/

94881905_957744501346516_8227973427105890304_n (resized).jpg94881905_957744501346516_8227973427105890304_n (resized).jpg

#216 3 years ago

Before/After for comparison

94687410_240140237046170_4432484838783582208_n (resized).jpg94687410_240140237046170_4432484838783582208_n (resized).jpg
#217 3 years ago

Looks like Sam, Pippin and Merry got the axe lol.

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Before/After for comparison[quoted image]

I like the coloring and general composition of yours better (I never realized how GREEN the playfield art was through the whole thing), but the party montage is just wrong. Frodo is the central character in the quest to destroy the ring, not Gandalf (much as I like Gandalf). I also don't like characters that are now missing in that montage.

#219 3 years ago

Hoping Stern does a new LOTR release with an XL sized Color DMD (CGC style), updated LED lighting, etc.

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Agree on the originals looking nice other than the newspaper print resolution on the cabinet. The LEs on the other hand are butt ugly with the gold trim and the cock on the backglass. That could basically be fixed with an original translite and a little powder coat.

Totally agree with the side art quality...its garbage....totally disagree with the brass armor....it looks great on this game

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I like the coloring and general composition of yours better (I never realized how GREEN the playfield art was through the whole thing), but the party montage is just wrong. Frodo is the central character in the quest to destroy the ring, not Gandalf (much as I like Gandalf). I also don't like characters that are now missing in that montage.

thanks for the feedback. i will be happy to get more they are not missing they will be there but i need to draw them by hand as a lot more other stuff. you see now maybe just 20% of the playfield art. also all plastic sets and toys going to be changed and the character will be there also.

and yes some of lotr playfield are super green (like mine) but there is few who is yellow.

one hint about frodo.... he will be more visible on the game.....

i will keep post more progress on a main thread for this project that im working on after all rendering for the background

thank you guys

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Looks like Sam, Pippin and Merry got the axe lol.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Agree that Frodo should be center. Not sure if you're saying that you don't care for the missing characters in the montage, or don't like that they are missing from the montage.

I've read the series a few times, but not in more than 25 years. I've seen the extended versions of the movies 3-4 times now. I like both, even though I know there are differences.

Over time, I've grown to think/feel that Sam is a very important character in the entire series, and this idea seems to get more recognition, especially in the extended version movies. He's the "everyman" that just gets things done without a need for pomp or huge recognition. It's be a shame if he was left out of any new art.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I learned early in life that there is no direct correlation between what is 'right' and what some lawyer or politician deemed 'legal'.
Copyright law was corrupted years ago (by Disney lawyers I think). And while Rick from PPS has nothing better to do, fortunately New Line Cinema doesn't need to chase a few hundred dollars from a few fans. Or cosplay would be decimated!

#224 3 years ago

What a bad comparison.
couldn't you use a better one that looks more as in real.
The original isn't that bad.
I think its one of Stern best looking machines ever.

100166~01 (resized).jpg100166~01 (resized).jpgfeeb7e2f28fac4b55de8eeaec9f0ca725e7fcd6a~01 (resized).jpgfeeb7e2f28fac4b55de8eeaec9f0ca725e7fcd6a~01 (resized).jpg
#225 3 years ago

I'm afraid to post, all of the podcasts lately have been enough for me to want to kill this project. This is 100% of me just wanting to clean up the things I didn't like with my playfield. We are still working on the final form, which will include hand drawn characters that are missing from this early proof.

#226 3 years ago

The new artwork looks fantastic! Great work as always by Lior. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

What a bad comparison.
couldn't you use a better one that looks more as in real.
The original isn't that bad.
I think its one of Stern best looking machines ever.[quoted image][quoted image]

do not forget there is 2 versions of this playfield. they also made green one you can check in lotr member group
and here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-playfield-looks-a-bit-green

mine is green

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#228 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott9:

I'm afraid to post, all of the podcasts lately have been enough for me to want to kill this project. This is 100% of me just wanting to clean up the things I didn't like with my playfield. We are still working on the final form, which will include hand drawn characters that are missing from this early proof.

Then don't let them spoil your quest. If you are customizing your machine to your liking that will be forever be enjoyed by you, that's all you need right there to see this project through. They can go pound sand if they don't like it.

#229 3 years ago

do not forget there is 2 versions of this playfield. they also made green one you can check in lotr member group

This is true. I bought a NOS playfield for my LOTR when I got the game a few years ago and it was different - very noticeably ‘greener’.

#230 3 years ago

and here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-playfield-looks-a-bit-green
mine is green [quoted image]

Yep yours is definitely more greenish blue then mine as well, here is a shot of mine right now as I’m working on the POTD mod.

If memory serves me right I think there were something like 4 variants of the LOTR playfield colors through their run.

D34397C4-777B-43A1-B2E3-34FACF4ECB79 (resized).jpegD34397C4-777B-43A1-B2E3-34FACF4ECB79 (resized).jpeg
#231 3 years ago

Then don't let them spoil your quest. If you are customizing your machine to your liking that will be forever be enjoyed by you, that's all you need right there to see this project through. They can go pound sand if they don't like it.

My oldest son is in the army. I am actually doing this for him and dedicating it to him from me. I want him to turn his dreams into his adventures and his goals into his quests... Was our favorite movie when he was a little boy and I am surprising him with this machine when we are done

#232 3 years ago

The playfield colors on mine aren't bad. I bought a replacement playfield that is getting the new art package. I am always going to keep this original playfield with the machine

12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg
#233 3 years ago

Just curious is this a hard top or something? How is the replacement playfield getting the new art package sorry if this is dumb question

Quoted from Scott9:

The playfield colors on mine aren't bad. I bought a replacement playfield that is getting the new art package. I am always going to keep this original playfield with the machine[quoted image]

#234 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott9:

My oldest son is in the army. I am actually doing this for him and dedicating it to him from me. I want him to turn his dreams into his adventures and his goals into his quests... Was our favorite movie when he was a little boy and I am surprising him with this machine when we are done

First and foremost, thank you for his service to this great country!!!

In addition the LOTR trilogy is my sons and mine favorite trilogy of all time. Your doing this for all the right reasons, one that will be enjoyed by you both for a lifetime.

#235 3 years ago

Yep yours is definitely more greenish blue then mine as well, here is a shot of mine right now as I’m working on the POTD mod.
If memory serves me right I think there were something like 4 variants of the LOTR playfield colors through their run.[quoted image]

your machine looks great! i wish mine was looking like that. if i have another machine that i want to make new design for it is indiana jones the pinball adventure

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Just curious is this a hard top or something? How is the replacement playfield getting the new art package sorry if this is dumb question

I hired CPR to do the playfield. I bought an used playfield from HEP, sent it to CPR to do an architectural file, and then my artist will use that file to finalize the layout on my playfield. Once that is done, the replacement playfield will be sanded down and the new graphics will be applied. Then the playfield will get 5+ layers of clear coating and sent back to me.

#237 3 years ago

First and foremost, thank you for his service to this great country!!!
In addition the LOTR trilogy is my sons and mine favorite trilogy of all time. Your doing this for all the right reasons, one that will be enjoyed by you both for a lifetime.

Thank you, much appreciated

#238 3 years ago

your machine looks great! i wish mine was looking like that. if i have another machine that i ant to make new design for it is indiana jones the pinball adventure

Thanks, yeah I lucked out again by snagging another home use only game with 541 plays. I always said LOTR lacked in two area's, one is the most obvious in your face silk screen cabinet with that awful pixel artwork, the other is the Whitestar sound quality. I already addressed the sound issue with Pinsound+ well...... waiting on that dam FedEx guy anyway Hopefully someday there will be some cabinet decals available to fix the other weak link, but that's okay for now as sound and PF is what is most important well to me anyway at the moment.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

there are still NIB games available for people to buy. No need to make more.

Quoted from snaroff:

They did several runs. Over 5000 manufactured, which is fairly high. Resales are often very fairly priced as well.

Quoted from Rarehero:

LOTR isn’t unobtanium. There are probably like 8000 of them out there. I bought one for $500 once lol.

The fact that they made 5,000, or 8,000, is irrelevant to whether a Vault makes sense. Unless you think Stern runs Vault games so that everyone can get a chance to play its rarer games, instead of to maximize profit and fill the line during down-periods. In the case of LOTR, despite a very large run there's enough demand that even routed examples go for more than $5k. Tron may go for more (though I'm not even sure if that's true any more, LOTR keeps creeping up in price) but with only a fraction of the number of games made, so there's plainly more demand for LOTR. If Stern is looking to make more Vaults at this point -- and who knows in the pandemic era, they may well end up with a backlog of new game designs they could run and have no time or interest in doing Vaults -- LOTR is still right at the top of the list of logical games to run again.

The question as always is whether they could make the licensing work, and it's still the case that no one on Pinside knows anything about that. Though if someone pushes forward and tries to license the "The Art of Pinball" playfield shown in this thread so it can be reproduced and sold, they may learn something about the state of the LOTR license through that process. Of course no one with any sense would expect the results of that conversation to show up on Pinside, but if they can get approvals to move this project forward that will suggest that licensing for a LOTR Vault is not a lost cause.

Either way, @scott9, looking forward to seeing you finalize that new design, which will be just as cool whether it remains a one-off or makes it into production.

#240 3 years ago

Wow awesome dedication man VERY cool!

Quoted from Scott9:

I hired CPR to do the playfield. I bought an used playfield from HEP, sent it to CPR to do an architectural file, and then my artist will use that file to finalize the layout on my playfield. Once that is done, the replacement playfield will be sanded down and the new graphics will be applied. Then the playfield will get 5+ layers of clear coating and sent back to me.

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Agreed. Once you see the cock outline one the beard of the le translite, you can never unsee it

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They’re not all that green. Some playfields look like they ran out of red ink. Here’s what mine looks like:

D70C002C-45B0-4741-AD53-136FBD0A4F3E.jpegD70C002C-45B0-4741-AD53-136FBD0A4F3E.jpeg
#243 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They’re not all that green. Some playfields look like they ran out of red ink. Here’s what mine looks like:[quoted image]

You’ve definitely got one of the good ones (as I recall the print resolution on yours is quite good too). It’s amazing how much variability in play field print quality there was on this game.

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They’re not all that green. Some playfields look like they ran out of red ink. Here’s what mine looks like:[quoted image]

Yours looks more like the one I bought NIB. I didn't remember it looking so green, but it'd been a LONG time since I had it.

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You’ve definitely got one of the good ones (as I recall the print resolution on yours is quite good too). It’s amazing how much variability in play field print quality there was on this game.

Overall I’m happy with it due to the black level depth & red compared to others I’ve seen - but the color alignment is slightly off...if you look close, Frodo looks high, and on text you can see that the red level is registered slightly down lower than where it should be.

FB7EAC5A-9286-4F95-A5D6-094557EB4B10.jpegFB7EAC5A-9286-4F95-A5D6-094557EB4B10.jpeg0724979A-F389-49BD-A77C-9D9ADB65CD60.jpeg0724979A-F389-49BD-A77C-9D9ADB65CD60.jpeg
#246 3 years ago

Man

It would suck to not own a LOTR

Couldn’t imagine it

Terrible

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott9:

Keep on the good work, i love it.
Don't let anyone that thinks otherwise let you off your own thoughts.
I get good and bad thoughts on my projects too, i don't care.
It is what it is.

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Man
It would suck to not own a LOTR

It does, but luckily I have a Hobbit, so I'm not completely deprived of the world of Middle Earth.

#249 3 years ago

Im buying one that is getting shopped currently. Is it one of the nicer playfields?

Resized_R (resized).jpgResized_R (resized).jpgResized_R(1) (resized).jpgResized_R(1) (resized).jpgResized_R_3 (resized).jpgResized_R_3 (resized).jpg
#250 3 years ago

good color variation...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lotr-vault/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.