12 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100166~01 (resized).jpg
feeb7e2f28fac4b55de8eeaec9f0ca725e7fcd6a~01 (resized).jpg
94687410_240140237046170_4432484838783582208_n (resized).jpg
94881905_957744501346516_8227973427105890304_n (resized).jpg
95370553_227201031877195_6260232760284151808_n (resized).jpg
94274955_712199599516861_7337770283106828288_n (resized).jpg
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of the many reasons B/W collectors hated Stern was the sound, as it was indeed dated. DCS & WPC’95 blew it away.

In the 90's, I get it... But today, I find the audible compression artifacts and noise-static irritating. Perhaps it's MY games or perhaps nostalgia is a factor.
I've had TZ for 20yrs and the audio is 'fine' for me. But I recently picked up a nice Addam's Family and immediately upgraded the speakers, added pinsound, etc.

BTW, you can switch mixes (new, original, etc.). I prefer the new mixes, they change the vibe of the game, but it's interesting to switch back to the original sounds.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

BTW, you can switch mixes (new, original, etc.). I prefer the new mixes, they change the vibe of the game, but it's interesting to switch back to the original sounds.

Oh, that’s good to know.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, that’s good to know.

Yes, I run the original Champion Pub mix on the SD card of my Pinsound.

Pinsound uses a SD card to store the mixes (wav file format?), then triggers the appropriate soundclips based on game events.

With Pinsound, you can just insert different SD cards with different mixes as you wish. So you can always fall back to the original rips of the original game. Takes 3.25 seconds to swap a SD card.

Another advantage of Pinsound is its audio amplifier and its built in EQ. There are analog pots for low, mid and high freqs (3 band EQ). There's also a out for a sub and headphones built in on the card.

My point, even with the original "thin" Champion Pub mix, I can boost the bass, trim down the mids etc. Just this makes it sound better than the original (even with stock speakers).

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

With Pinsound, you can just insert different SD cards with different mixes as you wish. So you can always fall back to the original rips of the original game. Takes 3.25 seconds to swap a SD card.

Actually, just press the volume down (-) till it reaches zero, you'll hear pinsound chime, and it switches to the next mix on our USB stick.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Actually, just press the volume down (-) till it reaches zero

Wow that's even cooler! Thanks!

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yes, I run the original Champion Pub mix on the SD card of my Pinsound.
Pinsound uses a SD card to store the mixes (wav file format?), then triggers the appropriate soundclips based on game events.
Another advantage of Pinsound is its audio amplifier and its built in EQ. There are analog pots for low, mid and high freqs (3 band EQ). There's also a out for a sub and headphones built in on the card.
My point, even with the original "thin" Champion Pub mix, I can boost the bass, trim down the mids etc. Just this makes it sound better than the original (even with stock speakers).

I wasn't aware of this.

1 week later
#157 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I wasn't aware of this.

I know, right!!!!! I communicated with the French engineer(s) that designed the board. They are great. But marketing is apparently not their strong suit.

The product is GREAT. You actually get a kick-ass preamp, with EQ. That's why it's not cheap, but totally worth it!

(it's also a very nice way to remove the old WPC95 A/V board from the machine!)

#158 5 years ago

I'm on the fence of buying a good condition LOTR. I can get it for a good price, but I'm a bit hesitant because of a possible VE release.

What are the chances of a VE? How long does the JJP Tolkien exclusivity deal last?
What would be the impact on prices of existing LOTR?

As an alternative, I could get a nice Hobbit LE for a good price. Rules wise, I believe LOTR is the better game though. And even though art is kind of ugly, it has a certain charm I cannot resist...

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

I'm on the fence of buying a good condition LOTR. I can get it for a good price, but I'm a bit hesitant because of a possible VE release.
What are the chances of a VE? How long does the JJP Tolkien exclusivity deal last?
As an alternative, I could get a nice Hobbit LE for a good price. Rules wise, I believe LOTR is the better game though. And even though art is kind of ugly, it has a certain charm I cannot resist...

I wouldn't hold off on buying it personally. Stern has been surprising everyone recently so they may eventually do something though. The thing is, huo games are selling for around 6k and around 6k is what any new vault game would cost. Point being, the demand for a remake isn't high due to the availability of very nice ones for 6k

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

If you want one buy one now. A vault version is unlikely, but I am a skeptic on this subject. I'm sure that JJP has license protection against another Tolkien pinball release while they hold the Hobbit rights.

I've owned both machines, and LOTR is far superior to the Hobbit. Hobbit looks and sounds great, and the code has improved, but it is still a boring shooter.

#161 5 years ago

I’d say LotR remake is unlikely. I’d like to see it happen but I’m not optimistic. I think the price would be at $6k+

Much more likely would be a Tron Vault.

Nobody really knows, I didn’t think SM Vault was needed or would be a complete art and package re do.

#162 5 years ago

stern has to see how well Cgc is doing with remakes. Here’s hoping 2019 will be a vault year for an older game. even if it’s not lotr.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I've owned both machines, and LOTR is far superior to the Hobbit. Hobbit looks and sounds great, and the code has improved, but it is still a boring shooter.

Ok, thanks. I played both but only a few games each. I had the same impression. Shooting games can be great as well, but then I don't get all those multiballs. But, TH is just beautiful... However, maybe you should reconsider your rating for TH. Seems a bit high for a "boring shooter". Sorry...

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Enjoy it now, not in the hypothetical future I just bought one, no complaints.

BTW, doesn't seem like re-production releases necessarily affect older versions. You still can't get an original MM or ATFM for a "bargain" and those "remakes" are far bigger upgrades to the original than LotR would be.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Ok, thanks. I played both but only a few games each. I had the same impression. Shooting games can be great as well, but then I don't get all those multiballs. But, TH is just beautiful... However, maybe you should reconsider your rating for TH. Seems a bit high for a "boring shooter". Sorry...

That's funny, my review was from 2015, before I owned it. Lowered my layout, lastability, and playing numbers, but keep the artwork and sound high.

Guess I'm part of the reason new machines are overrated.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Someone who played a few games is chiding someone for their Hobbit rating. Priceless. I’ve put hundreds of games on Hobbit, it’s never even remotely boring. I stand by my high rating. It’s a phenomenal game.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I stand by my high rating. It’s a phenomenal game.

Same here, especially since "new" code.

1 month later
#168 5 years ago

Is this speculation gaining any serious traction today? I'm hearing things. Like, 2019-release things.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Is this speculation gaining any serious traction today? I'm hearing things. Like, 2019-release things.

Was it on a podcast? That guy’s on fire today!

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOTR’s sound quality isn’t up to the standards of modern games, but it’s a phenomenally designed audio package. In the same way I can still enjoy NES & Sega Genesis games, “retro video game audio” can be amazing in the hands of a great artist. Chris Granner pushes the limits of Whitestar for incredible audio on LOTR & TSPP compared to other Whitestar games. The music is rich, the sound Fx are great, the bass is deep. Sure it sounds “older” than your new games, but that’s not a bad thing. Old sound chips in early 90’s games still sound awesome too. I can listen to BK2K, Addams, Dr. Who, Whitewater all day long.

Love old NES and SNES audio.

#171 5 years ago

Doesn't need any traction. It's already on track. Gomez needs some love, and this will do the trick in spades. Will likely be Stern's best-selling vault.

Plus, with upcoming Amazon's LotR offshoot series, there will be tons of promotion/interest in the property.

#172 5 years ago

I just do not see how Stern could do this due to the Whitestar hardware LOTR was built with.
One would think they used up the last of their parts on the 2007 LOTR run, but who knows.

Tron is equally in demand as a vault, and would be far easier for Stern to produce.

Hobbit is dreadful and a complete joke compared to LOTR.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I just do not see how Stern could do this due to the Whitestar hardware LOTR was built with.
One would think they used up the last of their parts on the 2007 LOTR run, but who knows.
Tron is equally in demand as a vault, and would be far easier for Stern to produce.
Hobbit is dreadful and a complete joke compared to LOTR.

Will not be Whitestar. Spike2 hardware. It's been discussed extensively a while back, and is the reason they'll sell to people that have the original - color screen, shaker motor, non-fade coils, etc, etc, etc.

#174 5 years ago

As far as I know nothing has been said that is anything other than the same speculation that has been around since they started doing vaults

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Will not be Whitestar. Spike2 hardware. It's been discussed extensively a while back, and is the reason they'll sell to people that have the original - color screen, shaker motor, non-fade coils, etc, etc, etc.

It's definitely been "discussed extensively" but with nothing at all from Stern we're all just speculating. I still think an LOTR Vault would be good business for Stern and I hope they make one, but none of us know if, when, or how it might happen.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's definitely been "discussed extensively" but with nothing at all from Stern we're all just speculating. I still think an LOTR Vault would be good business for Stern and I hope they make one, but none of us know if, when, or how it might happen.

None of us? I can confidently say there are people here who know those answers. The sooner, the better, since they're going to sell a ton of them. Only cutting features can dull that sales potential, and I don't think they'd do that.

#177 5 years ago

Yeah, as in none of the people commenting. If you've got inside info an not just spouting off, enlighten us. As far as I know it's not even rumored but then again I don't pay for twip premium.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I can confidently say there are people here who know those answers.

I’ll bite - who?

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I’ll bite - who?

I'll demur. They know who they are. It'll all come out in time, and I'll be first in line as long as they don't cost-reduce away assemblies.

#180 5 years ago

This isn’t vault related, but it was cool playing LOTR right next to John Rhys-Davies (at his signature table) this weekend at TPF. I’m sure he got sick of hearing his voice doing the call outs, but it was fun for me!

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This isn’t vault related, but it was cool playing LOTR right next to John Rhys-Davies (at his signature table) this weekend at TPF. I’m sure he got sick of hearing his voice doing the call outs, but it was fun for me!

He's a fantastic thespian. Love the way he talks. His appearance on the TWIPIES was a nice surprise.

1 month later
#182 4 years ago

I’m so LTG...but trying to catch up.

I own 2 pins now - JJP POTC CE and CGC AFMr LE.

I didn’t even know Stern did “VE”s.

I played LOTR on-site maybe 2 months back or so.

It was fun! I was honestly a bit taken back that it was a Stern. =P

#183 4 years ago

I just played my LOTR and noticed this thread was bumped. Defeated Ballrog, which is one of the more rewarding things to do in any game I've owned. The game totally freaks out when you accomplish this.

The impressive thing about LOTR is everything about the game is "deep". The callouts, music, dots, etc. are vast. It's transports you unlike Stern's more modern games.

I can't say I play it as much as some of my other games, but I think it's one of the best games ever made.

I hope everyone wishing for a vault gets what they want. If Stern decides to do a vault, I just hope they do it "right".

11 months later
#184 3 years ago

So some guy of CL tells me, he can buy a NIB Stern LOTR for 7K. Is he smoking crack?

#185 3 years ago

There are NIB still out there.. Why this game hasnt been vaulted is beyond me, easy money for Stern.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

There are NIB still out there.. Why this game hasnt been vaulted is beyond me, easy money for Stern.

You just answered your own question: Because there are still NIB games available for people to buy. No need to make more.

#187 3 years ago

6 months ago these were selling for 6k now they are 7. amazing!

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

You just answered your own question: Because there are still NIB games available for people to buy. No need to make more.

Exactly. They did several runs. Over 5000 manufactured, which is fairly high. Resales are often very fairly priced as well.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

6 months ago these were selling for 6k now they are 7. amazing!

...and, at that price, they're pretty pimped out.

#190 3 years ago

I’d like to see Stern do a pimped out vault of it...color DMD, better sound quality, etc...but unfortunately that’s not their M.O. with vaults

#191 3 years ago

Kaneda just broke the news that an LE LOTR is coming with new sculpts and art work ect..
1437DDA8-8210-43A8-AE2D-BE6F9CBF43F1 (resized).jpeg1437DDA8-8210-43A8-AE2D-BE6F9CBF43F1 (resized).jpegCFD2B822-6CAC-4F39-8171-7D82D07744C9 (resized).jpegCFD2B822-6CAC-4F39-8171-7D82D07744C9 (resized).jpeg

07A5EE0B-0D21-44A1-8D4F-BA75E47B29C2 (resized).jpeg07A5EE0B-0D21-44A1-8D4F-BA75E47B29C2 (resized).jpeg
#192 3 years ago

Kaneda Posted after podcast:
UPDATE on this show after it went up as I got more details on the new LOTR offering.

1. Will be new LOTR art kit available vs entirely new game (not a vault)
2. Will be new cabinet art, PF art, backbox and translite art
3. Will need a LOTR to swap this kit in
4. New sculpt for game
5. PF swap will be required (ugh)
6. Kits will be limited and $$$

#193 3 years ago

Wonder who will be selling this package...

Quoted from Waxx:

Kaneda Posted after podcast:
UPDATE on this show after it went up as I got more details on the new LOTR offering.
1. Will be new LOTR art kit available vs entirely new game (not a vault)
2. Will be new cabinet art, PF art, backbox and translite art
3. Will need a LOTR to swap this kit in
4. New sculpt for game
5. PF swap will be required (ugh)
6. Kits will be limited and $$$

#194 3 years ago

Lior does great work. Will be interesting to see what he does.

#195 3 years ago

And so another great games remain unobtanium for us folks who aren't nearing retirement.

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

And so another great games remain unobtanium for us folks who aren't nearing retirement.

LOTR isn’t unobtanium. There are probably like 8000 of them out there. I bought one for $500 once lol.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I bought one for $500 once

once_ONCE.gifonce_ONCE.gif
#198 3 years ago

Those decals are such an improvement to the low-res originals

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Those decals are such an improvement to the low-res originals

It looks even better in person.

#200 3 years ago

Not to "poop" on the guy selling those kits, but how long before the copyright lawyers shut him down?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
$ 25.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lotr-vault/page/4?hl=wyopin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.