Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6934BFB6-91A2-4B6C-B04C-31ED4D087004.gif
57F49FB3-1939-40AE-AD3F-233EF341D6D4 (resized).png
lotr_beard_dick (resized).jpg
20181219_172044 (resized).jpg
471FB484-4E42-40CE-A2F8-7979AF684575 (resized).jpeg

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of the many reasons B/W collectors hated Stern was the sound, as it was indeed dated. DCS & WPC’95 blew it away.

In the 90's, I get it... But today, I find the audible compression artifacts and noise-static irritating. Perhaps it's MY games or perhaps nostalgia is a factor.
I've had TZ for 20yrs and the audio is 'fine' for me. But I recently picked up a nice Addam's Family and immediately upgraded the speakers, added pinsound, etc.

BTW, you can switch mixes (new, original, etc.). I prefer the new mixes, they change the vibe of the game, but it's interesting to switch back to the original sounds.

#152 4 months ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

BTW, you can switch mixes (new, original, etc.). I prefer the new mixes, they change the vibe of the game, but it's interesting to switch back to the original sounds.

Oh, that’s good to know.

#153 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, that’s good to know.

Yes, I run the original Champion Pub mix on the SD card of my Pinsound.

Pinsound uses a SD card to store the mixes (wav file format?), then triggers the appropriate soundclips based on game events.

With Pinsound, you can just insert different SD cards with different mixes as you wish. So you can always fall back to the original rips of the original game. Takes 3.25 seconds to swap a SD card.

Another advantage of Pinsound is its audio amplifier and its built in EQ. There are analog pots for low, mid and high freqs (3 band EQ). There's also a out for a sub and headphones built in on the card.

My point, even with the original "thin" Champion Pub mix, I can boost the bass, trim down the mids etc. Just this makes it sound better than the original (even with stock speakers).

#154 4 months ago
Quoted from Bendit:

With Pinsound, you can just insert different SD cards with different mixes as you wish. So you can always fall back to the original rips of the original game. Takes 3.25 seconds to swap a SD card.

Actually, just press the volume down (-) till it reaches zero, you'll hear pinsound chime, and it switches to the next mix on our USB stick.

#155 4 months ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Actually, just press the volume down (-) till it reaches zero

Wow that's even cooler! Thanks!

#156 4 months ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yes, I run the original Champion Pub mix on the SD card of my Pinsound.
Pinsound uses a SD card to store the mixes (wav file format?), then triggers the appropriate soundclips based on game events.
Another advantage of Pinsound is its audio amplifier and its built in EQ. There are analog pots for low, mid and high freqs (3 band EQ). There's also a out for a sub and headphones built in on the card.
My point, even with the original "thin" Champion Pub mix, I can boost the bass, trim down the mids etc. Just this makes it sound better than the original (even with stock speakers).

I wasn't aware of this.

1 week later
#157 4 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I wasn't aware of this.

I know, right!!!!! I communicated with the French engineer(s) that designed the board. They are great. But marketing is apparently not their strong suit.

The product is GREAT. You actually get a kick-ass preamp, with EQ. That's why it's not cheap, but totally worth it!

(it's also a very nice way to remove the old WPC95 A/V board from the machine!)

#158 4 months ago

I'm on the fence of buying a good condition LOTR. I can get it for a good price, but I'm a bit hesitant because of a possible VE release.

What are the chances of a VE? How long does the JJP Tolkien exclusivity deal last?
What would be the impact on prices of existing LOTR?

As an alternative, I could get a nice Hobbit LE for a good price. Rules wise, I believe LOTR is the better game though. And even though art is kind of ugly, it has a certain charm I cannot resist...

#159 4 months ago
Quoted from philsublime:

I'm on the fence of buying a good condition LOTR. I can get it for a good price, but I'm a bit hesitant because of a possible VE release.
What are the chances of a VE? How long does the JJP Tolkien exclusivity deal last?
As an alternative, I could get a nice Hobbit LE for a good price. Rules wise, I believe LOTR is the better game though. And even though art is kind of ugly, it has a certain charm I cannot resist...

I wouldn't hold off on buying it personally. Stern has been surprising everyone recently so they may eventually do something though. The thing is, huo games are selling for around 6k and around 6k is what any new vault game would cost. Point being, the demand for a remake isn't high due to the availability of very nice ones for 6k

#160 4 months ago
Quoted from philsublime:

If you want one buy one now. A vault version is unlikely, but I am a skeptic on this subject. I'm sure that JJP has license protection against another Tolkien pinball release while they hold the Hobbit rights.

I've owned both machines, and LOTR is far superior to the Hobbit. Hobbit looks and sounds great, and the code has improved, but it is still a boring shooter.

#161 4 months ago

I’d say LotR remake is unlikely. I’d like to see it happen but I’m not optimistic. I think the price would be at $6k+

Much more likely would be a Tron Vault.

Nobody really knows, I didn’t think SM Vault was needed or would be a complete art and package re do.

#162 4 months ago

stern has to see how well Cgc is doing with remakes. Here’s hoping 2019 will be a vault year for an older game. even if it’s not lotr.

#163 4 months ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I've owned both machines, and LOTR is far superior to the Hobbit. Hobbit looks and sounds great, and the code has improved, but it is still a boring shooter.

Ok, thanks. I played both but only a few games each. I had the same impression. Shooting games can be great as well, but then I don't get all those multiballs. But, TH is just beautiful... However, maybe you should reconsider your rating for TH. Seems a bit high for a "boring shooter". Sorry...

#164 4 months ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Enjoy it now, not in the hypothetical future I just bought one, no complaints.

BTW, doesn't seem like re-production releases necessarily affect older versions. You still can't get an original MM or ATFM for a "bargain" and those "remakes" are far bigger upgrades to the original than LotR would be.

#165 4 months ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Ok, thanks. I played both but only a few games each. I had the same impression. Shooting games can be great as well, but then I don't get all those multiballs. But, TH is just beautiful... However, maybe you should reconsider your rating for TH. Seems a bit high for a "boring shooter". Sorry...

That's funny, my review was from 2015, before I owned it. Lowered my layout, lastability, and playing numbers, but keep the artwork and sound high.

Guess I'm part of the reason new machines are overrated.

#166 4 months ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Someone who played a few games is chiding someone for their Hobbit rating. Priceless. I’ve put hundreds of games on Hobbit, it’s never even remotely boring. I stand by my high rating. It’s a phenomenal game.

#167 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I stand by my high rating. It’s a phenomenal game.

Same here, especially since "new" code.

1 month later
#168 65 days ago

Is this speculation gaining any serious traction today? I'm hearing things. Like, 2019-release things.

#169 65 days ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Is this speculation gaining any serious traction today? I'm hearing things. Like, 2019-release things.

Was it on a podcast? That guy’s on fire today!

#170 65 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOTR’s sound quality isn’t up to the standards of modern games, but it’s a phenomenally designed audio package. In the same way I can still enjoy NES & Sega Genesis games, “retro video game audio” can be amazing in the hands of a great artist. Chris Granner pushes the limits of Whitestar for incredible audio on LOTR & TSPP compared to other Whitestar games. The music is rich, the sound Fx are great, the bass is deep. Sure it sounds “older” than your new games, but that’s not a bad thing. Old sound chips in early 90’s games still sound awesome too. I can listen to BK2K, Addams, Dr. Who, Whitewater all day long.

Love old NES and SNES audio.

#171 65 days ago

Doesn't need any traction. It's already on track. Gomez needs some love, and this will do the trick in spades. Will likely be Stern's best-selling vault.

Plus, with upcoming Amazon's LotR offshoot series, there will be tons of promotion/interest in the property.

#172 64 days ago

I just do not see how Stern could do this due to the Whitestar hardware LOTR was built with.
One would think they used up the last of their parts on the 2007 LOTR run, but who knows.

Tron is equally in demand as a vault, and would be far easier for Stern to produce.

Hobbit is dreadful and a complete joke compared to LOTR.

#173 64 days ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I just do not see how Stern could do this due to the Whitestar hardware LOTR was built with.
One would think they used up the last of their parts on the 2007 LOTR run, but who knows.
Tron is equally in demand as a vault, and would be far easier for Stern to produce.
Hobbit is dreadful and a complete joke compared to LOTR.

Will not be Whitestar. Spike2 hardware. It's been discussed extensively a while back, and is the reason they'll sell to people that have the original - color screen, shaker motor, non-fade coils, etc, etc, etc.

#174 64 days ago

As far as I know nothing has been said that is anything other than the same speculation that has been around since they started doing vaults

#175 64 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Will not be Whitestar. Spike2 hardware. It's been discussed extensively a while back, and is the reason they'll sell to people that have the original - color screen, shaker motor, non-fade coils, etc, etc, etc.

It's definitely been "discussed extensively" but with nothing at all from Stern we're all just speculating. I still think an LOTR Vault would be good business for Stern and I hope they make one, but none of us know if, when, or how it might happen.

#176 64 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's definitely been "discussed extensively" but with nothing at all from Stern we're all just speculating. I still think an LOTR Vault would be good business for Stern and I hope they make one, but none of us know if, when, or how it might happen.

None of us? I can confidently say there are people here who know those answers. The sooner, the better, since they're going to sell a ton of them. Only cutting features can dull that sales potential, and I don't think they'd do that.

#177 64 days ago

Yeah, as in none of the people commenting. If you've got inside info an not just spouting off, enlighten us. As far as I know it's not even rumored but then again I don't pay for twip premium.

#178 64 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

I can confidently say there are people here who know those answers.

I’ll bite - who?

#179 62 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I’ll bite - who?

I'll demur. They know who they are. It'll all come out in time, and I'll be first in line as long as they don't cost-reduce away assemblies.

#180 60 days ago

This isn’t vault related, but it was cool playing LOTR right next to John Rhys-Davies (at his signature table) this weekend at TPF. I’m sure he got sick of hearing his voice doing the call outs, but it was fun for me!

#181 56 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This isn’t vault related, but it was cool playing LOTR right next to John Rhys-Davies (at his signature table) this weekend at TPF. I’m sure he got sick of hearing his voice doing the call outs, but it was fun for me!

He's a fantastic thespian. Love the way he talks. His appearance on the TWIPIES was a nice surprise.

1 month later
#182 19 days ago

I’m so LTG...but trying to catch up.

I own 2 pins now - JJP POTC CE and CGC AFMr LE.

I didn’t even know Stern did “VE”s.

I played LOTR on-site maybe 2 months back or so.

It was fun! I was honestly a bit taken back that it was a Stern. =P

#183 19 days ago

I just played my LOTR and noticed this thread was bumped. Defeated Ballrog, which is one of the more rewarding things to do in any game I've owned. The game totally freaks out when you accomplish this.

The impressive thing about LOTR is everything about the game is "deep". The callouts, music, dots, etc. are vast. It's transports you unlike Stern's more modern games.

I can't say I play it as much as some of my other games, but I think it's one of the best games ever made.

I hope everyone wishing for a vault gets what they want. If Stern decides to do a vault, I just hope they do it "right".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 399.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 41.00
$ 11.95
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside