12 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100166~01 (resized).jpg
feeb7e2f28fac4b55de8eeaec9f0ca725e7fcd6a~01 (resized).jpg
94687410_240140237046170_4432484838783582208_n (resized).jpg
94881905_957744501346516_8227973427105890304_n (resized).jpg
95370553_227201031877195_6260232760284151808_n (resized).jpg
94274955_712199599516861_7337770283106828288_n (resized).jpg
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

How much were iron man vaults?

Bear in mind these prices were 5,6 years ago with inflation would be a few hundred more.

I paid (all prices including shipping)

$6500 XMLE
$4700 Tron pro
$4700 IM VE
$7700 STLE

AFM LE $8300
TNA $6300

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Hate to bring up the Beatles, but I think it was partially intended to reset pricing in our minds. $7.6k for an updated Seawitch that is nowhere near as good as a LOTRv.

LOTRv doesn't exist.

And people need to stop obsessing about what an awesome "pro" LOTR was and how loaded it was. That was like 15 years ago and a few years later Stern would be teetering on the brink of insolvency. You aren't going to see "entry level" games like that again for that kind of price, from any manufacturer.

If you think a rhetorical LOTRve would be a modern "pro" price you are absolutely out of your mind.

#103 5 years ago

I think a LotR vault would be cool, but one thing I would be afraid of is the sound and music. Obviously they would want to upgrade all the audio, but they would have to recreate Chris Ganner's compositions from the original game for it to work well. I have a feeling that if Stern did make a LotR vault, they would just rip music straight out of the movie soundtrack, or try to do what Jersey Jack did with The Hobbit and create some sort of grand, orchestral soundtrack. While those types of soundtracks are great, they just don't work for pinball games imho.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I think a LotR vault would be cool, but one thing I would be afraid of is the sound and music. Obviously they would want to upgrade all the audio,.

Why is that obvious?

Stern has released several vaults and they've "upgraded the audio" exactly zero times.

#105 5 years ago

If anyone wants a low play stock HUO LOTR LE in VA send me a PM. I knew the first owner, he put ~50 plays on it. I've put 200-300 max on it. Playfield looks new. Flips like new. Has plastic protectors and most of the AOME figures with the Pinbits holders. Certificate and goodies included of course. No wear whatsoever. Will not ship it.

Been considering selling, just throwing it out there in case anyone wants a really nice one now.

#106 5 years ago

Sound should be upgraded because it’s 2019 and the old game sounds like it’s a transistor radio from the 60s

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why is that obvious?
Stern has released several vaults and they've "upgraded the audio" exactly zero times.

Well, Spider-Man vault had all new audio for the voices, but I think the main reason I think it's likely is just because of how old LotR is now. When looking at the other vaults Stern has made, the technology Stern was using hadn't changed much since the original game, but Stern has upgraded CPUs for their games a couple times since LotR. I don't think most people would be happy if a LotR vault came out and it still used sequenced music (I mean, I'd be happy, but that's because I have a soft spot for that kind of sound.) and the low quality voice clips from the original. It would be a pretty different case from their other vaults.

#108 5 years ago

When Gandalf yells "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" or Gimli yells "SUUUPER JACKPOT!!!!" its clear enough for the whole house to hear and understand!

#109 5 years ago

Well I guess most people love over paying to stern. If stern asked 7k for a nib lotrv and they did not add features to justify the increase I would not purchase. I bought my mble because cgc put effort into it with lots of upgrades. Prices are ridiculous because of all of you saying stern should ask 7k. No how about stern vault it close to the original and sell it for 5500. Quit encouraging stern to steal and pillage the pinball community. If you all think a nib lotrv should be at 7k guess what it will be.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Well I guess most people love over paying to stern. If stern asked 7k for a nib lotrv and they did not add features to justify the increase I would not purchase. I bought my mble because cgc put effort into it with lots of upgrades. Prices are ridiculous because of all of you saying stern should ask 7k. No how about stern vault it close to the original and sell it for 5500. Quit encouraging stern to steal and pillage the pinball community. If you all think a nib lotrv should be at 7k guess what it will be.

No reason to get so worked up over it. It doesn’t exist.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

I actually think Stern should ask around $8,000 for it and maybe remove a couple features. That balrog was always a pain in the ass to keep working right.

But hey, it hasn't been announced or built, and isn't for sale, so it's really not a big deal either way.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

I’d love an LOTRVE at $5.5k. But you can’t even get a Pro for that anymore, so it’s not remotely realistic.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stern can take a dump on a cracker and sell 1000 of them. LOTRv is a no brainer, make it and they will come. Ironically few in this thread would buy one. LOTRv threads tend to attract two types of people - those who know it would sell but don’t want one and those who think it should be updated and enhanced and priced at $5.5k. Stern needs 1000 buyers wanting a guaranteed great pin with complete code, high end trim finishes and a color screen to compete with AFMr, MMr and MBr.

'know it would sell but don't want one' - huh??
'those who think it should be UPDATED and priced at 5.5k'? - You mean the people living in fantasy?

You're not even making sense... just dreaming.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

'know it would sell but don't want one' - huh??
'those who think it should be UPDATED and priced at 5.5k'? - You mean the people living in fantasy?
You're not even making sense... just dreaming.

considering the inflated prices of pinball these days I suspect it would be priced in the $7500 range...it would still sell well at that price (IMHO)

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Enjoy that mbrle with the wonky feeling flippers. Loved my AFMr LE, single reason its gone is because the CGC remakes feel different. The entire package is amazing, but I felt like I was trying to adapt to the flippers, and not just play the game as it should be. They just don’t feel right/good no matter how many mental gymnastics you do to convince yourself otherwise.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Was SMv at a pro price? No it was at a Preium price point

Quoted from mystman12:

Well, Spider-Man vault had all new audio for the voices, but I think the main reason I think it's likely is just because of how old LotR is now. When looking at the other vaults Stern has made, the technology Stern was using hadn't changed much since the original game, but Stern has upgraded CPUs for their games a couple times since LotR. I don't think most people would be happy if a LotR vault came out and it still used sequenced music (I mean, I'd be happy, but that's because I have a soft spot for that kind of sound.) and the low quality voice clips from the original. It would be a pretty different case from their other vaults.

Stern couldn't use the old movies for the original SM with the new spider-man movies out. All the work Stern did on the SMv and it didn't sell well.

#117 5 years ago

Bought my LOTRLE NIB just coming up 9years. Most likley lest played game in my collection, we never play comp games on it. Great 1 player game if you have the time

20181219_172044 (resized).jpg20181219_172044 (resized).jpg
#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Bought my LOTRLE NIB just coming up 9years. Most likley lest played game in my collection, we never play comp games on it. Great 1 player game if you have the time
[quoted image]

Put a ColorDMD in that thang! So much better!

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Put a ColorDMD in that thang! So much better!

Yep this game screams for a colorDMD and shaker....

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yep this game screams for a colorDMD and shaker....

The LE is also screaming for a condom.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The LE is also screaming for a condom.

Huh?

#122 5 years ago

Beard dick. Once seen cannot be unseen.

#123 5 years ago

#124 5 years ago

Remember, you asked. Now you shall bear the curse as well.

lotr_beard_dick (resized).jpglotr_beard_dick (resized).jpg

#125 5 years ago

I still don’t see it???

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Beard dick. Once seen cannot be unseen.

Damn your eyes, Maken! Don’t ruin everyone!!!

#127 5 years ago

You’re going to pin-hell man...

57F49FB3-1939-40AE-AD3F-233EF341D6D4 (resized).png57F49FB3-1939-40AE-AD3F-233EF341D6D4 (resized).png
Added over 5 years ago:

Gif didn’t work .

#128 5 years ago

If Stern does do a LOTRv, it will almost certainly be the same platform as the LE: Whitestar CPU/SAM driver. People saying Whitestar is a problem haven't been paying attention: Stern ran a bunch for replacements less than a year ago. I'm guessing it was a large quantity as it filled pent up demand and more are still available today.

I also believe they learned their lesson on SMv: there's not much point to investing in redevelopment / enhancement. Maybe something simpler like just coloring existing graphics.

People talking about using contemporary boardset and new graphics and sound, are talking about a new game: that wouldn't be a vault. I'd be really surprised if they did that and called it a vault.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

If Stern does do a LOTRv, it will almost certainly be the same platform as the LE: Whitestar CPU/SAM driver. People saying Whitestar is a problem haven't been paying attention: Stern ran a bunch for replacements less than a year ago. I'm guessing it was a large quantity as it filled pent up demand and more are still available today.
I also believe they learned their lesson on SMv: there's not much point to investing in redevelopment / enhancement. Maybe something simpler like just coloring existing graphics.
People talking about using contemporary boardset and new graphics and sound, are talking about a new game: that wouldn't be a vault. I'd be really surprised if they did that and called it a vault.

The game IP is the asset, not the platform it runs on. As long as it has the same playfield and playfield features, it's still a vault. To most players in the wild, it's the same game, just with color graphics and higher res cabinet and playfield graphics. They don't know/care about what's under the hood.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Remember, you asked. Now you shall bear the curse as well.
[quoted image]

You forgot about the vaginal eyeball.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Very well said. I agree they would have sold many more spiderman if they did not reinvent it and charge way more.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The game IP is the asset, not the platform it runs on. As long as it has the same playfield and playfield features, it's still a vault. To most players in the wild, it's the same game, just with color graphics and higher res cabinet and playfield graphics. They don't know/care about what's under the hood.

I don't disagree with that sentiment: I just don't think any of that is relevant because I think it's too farfetched. It doesn't really matter what people think is a vault, it's what makes sense for Stern to do as a vault.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

You forgot about the vaginal eyeball.

Nah. That’s sexy.

Unless you’re not into that. Hey man, it’s the new millennium.

#134 5 years ago

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

How much were iron man vaults?

I paid $4895 shipped

1 week later
#136 5 years ago

When discussing games Stern has done in the past...

"At any given point in time, if there's demand from the marketplace, we will produce it." - G. Gomez 2015

"A game is only ever over if the customer base doesn't want it." - G. Gomez 2015

Spike 2 LotR is going to be Stern's most successful vault ever - by a mile. Current owners will want it for the upgrade to color and newer Stern niceties, and customers new to the hobby will be all over it.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When discussing games Stern has done in the past...
"At any given point in time, if there's demand from the marketplace, we will produce it." - G. Gomez 2015
"A game is only ever over if the customer base doesn't want it." - G. Gomez 2015
Spike 2 LotR is going to be Stern's most successful vault ever - by a mile. Current owners will want it for the upgrade to color and newer Stern niceties, and customers new to the hobby will be all over it.

Please.

LOTR was my first NIB game back in 2004. It's built like a freakin tank. It's been on location, it's been to shows and it's never had any issues other than the GIMLI switch needing replacement within the first month. Other than the faulty GIMLI switch (which many folks had), my game has played flawlessly for 15 years. When it was on location for 1-month at Neon Retro in Pasadena, it was played 1000 times per week (it's a free-play, pay-per-hour arcade).

With a ColorDMD, LED OCD, and upgraded speakers it rocks. I doubt Stern would pursue a Spike version, but even if they did, it wouldn't be as awesome as the SAM version. The Spike games are more cheaply made...period. Just picked up a TRON LE and did a detailed shop job on it and was reminded how well SAM games are constructed when compared to the new Spike games.

snaroff

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Please.
LOTR was my first NIB game back in 2004. It's built like a freakin tank. It's been on location, it's been to shows and it's never had any issues other than the GIMLI switch needing replacement within the first month. Other than the faulty GIMLI switch (which many folks had), my game has played flawlessly for 15 years. When it was on location for 1-month at Neon Retro in Pasadena, it was played 1000 times per week (it's a free-play, pay-per-hour arcade).
With a ColorDMD, LED OCD, and upgraded speakers it rocks. I doubt Stern would pursue a Spike version, but even if they did, it wouldn't be as awesome as the SAM version. The Spike games are more cheaply made...period. Just picked up a TRON LE and did a detailed shop job on it and was reminded how well SAM games are constructed when compared to the new Spike games.
snaroff

LOTR is Whitestar, not SAM.

Funny how Whitestar/Sam era games are now lauded for their quality. At the time, the B/W collectors hated every little detail about Whitestar/Sam games...called them cheap and poorly built - but they are better in most ways than the new Spike games.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Spike 2 LotR is going to be Stern's most successful vault ever - by a mile.

Why do you write about something fictional as though it exists?

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Please.
snaroff

I just bought an LotR from 2004. It needed some TLC, but it's in damn good shape. Holds up very well! After some minor tweaks, plays like new.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why do you write about something fictional as though it exists?

It's a strange delusion that a bunch of people in this thread seem to have.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’d buy one if it was something improved lighting and sound.

Light and sound you can do yourself, they'd have to dramatically improve the art package IMO to make it worth it.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Light and sound you can do yourself, they'd have to dramatically improve the art package IMO to make it worth it.

Sound? They have way compressed sound no amount of aftermarket upgrades will improve that.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sound? They have way compressed sound no amount of aftermarket upgrades will improve that.

Ah, well you can see how much of an audiophile I am... I don't even notice.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Can read this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-speaker-upgrade-worth-it#post-639183-parent

They said the sound is more compression than typical Stern machines that’s one area where the LE got an upgrade more memory.

Just sounds thin (no depth) if you get what I mean.

#145 5 years ago

You guys are all insane with your upgraded audio.

Pinsound is ruining classic games one "improved" sound package at a time.

You want a new game, buy a new game!

I'm busy upgrading to solid gold chimes on my EMs!

#146 5 years ago

The audio may have been compressed for the whitestar system. They may have better quality files on hand for when they port it to SAM

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

LOTR’s sound quality isn’t up to the standards of modern games, but it’s a phenomenally designed audio package. In the same way I can still enjoy NES & Sega Genesis games, “retro video game audio” can be amazing in the hands of a great artist. Chris Granner pushes the limits of Whitestar for incredible audio on LOTR & TSPP compared to other Whitestar games. The music is rich, the sound Fx are great, the bass is deep. Sure it sounds “older” than your new games, but that’s not a bad thing. Old sound chips in early 90’s games still sound awesome too. I can listen to BK2K, Addams, Dr. Who, Whitewater all day long.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys are all insane with your upgraded audio.
Pinsound is ruining classic games one "improved" sound package at a time.
You want a new game, buy a new game!
I'm busy upgrading to solid gold chimes on my EMs!

Then enjoy your mono sound orange dots classics. I’ll be rockin’ my Colored stereo crystal clear upgraded movie sounds on my WPCs.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOTR’s sound quality isn’t up to the standards of modern games, but it’s a phenomenally designed audio package. In the same way I can still enjoy NES & Sega Genesis games, “retro video game audio” can be amazing in the hands of a great artist. Chris Granner pushes the limits of Whitestar for incredible audio on LOTR & TSPP compared to other Whitestar games. The music is rich, the sound Fx are great, the bass is deep. Sure it sounds “older” than your new games, but that’s not a bad thing. Old sound chips in early 90’s games still sound awesome too. I can listen to BK2K, Addams, Dr. Who, Whitewater all day long.

While I share your enjoyment of retro 8-bit synth audio, I REALLY dislike the compressed sound of the samples on various pins. In the early 90's memory was very expensive so 'I understand', but the audio hardware on Whitestar must have simply been old and dated by 2003.

So IMHO, I'd add Pinsound to LOTR before a colorDMD. Fantastic community mixes exist for LOTR, so it's a real game changer.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

While I share your enjoyment of retro 8-bit synth audio, I REALLY dislike the compressed sound of the samples on various pins. In the early 90's memory was very expensive so 'I understand', but the audio hardware on Whitestar must have simply been old and dated by 2003.
So IMHO, I'd add Pinsound to LOTR before a colorDMD. Fantastic community mixes exist for LOTR, so it's a real game changer.

One of the many reasons B/W collectors hated Stern was the sound, as it was indeed dated. DCS & WPC’95 blew it away. Still, that being said, LOTR’s sound absolutely pulls me in and is a joy to listen to. Granner did an amazing job. I’ve got a ColorDMD in mine, but would never do Pinsound.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lotr-vault/page/3?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.