(Topic ID: 164280)

Stern Modified Type II Whitestar No Audio: suggestions?

By cody_chunn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR_sound_board_U8_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160806_235636_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

One of my customers is about to buy a LotR from one of the early runs. It has no audio at all. We have swapped the board and a different board works fine, so this one needs to be sent out for repair.

Where should I send it?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Coin op cauldron is where I sent mine.

Yes, I have had Clive repair some of my older stuff that got over my head. Good to know he fixes modern Stern boards.

Thanks!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Are you sure the board needs repair? If it has an older white star CPU board because say the previous owner swapped the CPU board with another whitestar game, then everything works great except audio. I think the numbers off the top of my head are 5300 is new board and 5136 is old board. 5300 is backwards compatible. 5136 only works up to t3 or lord of the rings or such. This is a bit more common than you'd think.

It's the original board for sure, and it's broken for sure. Stern had a rash of audio failures around this time but the current owner never had it fixed. I just swapped my board into his game to prove the board had failed.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Again, swapping your board in doesn't prove that his needs repair. I mean you are probably right, but if the board is say a 5136 instead of a 5300 model, this would be the result in lord of the rings and it would not need repair.

Wow. OK.

His game was working.

Audio failed.

Installed control board from my game. Audio restored.

Reinstalled his board, no audio.

Reinstalled my board in my game, audio works.

I have no idea why you are hung up on board rev levels.

2 weeks later
#10 7 years ago

OK, Clive doesn't work on this particular control board: modified type 2 whitestar. It's got to go to a Stern distributor for repair.

So that being the case, who's got really positive things to say about a distributor? With good rates on excellent quality work?

#12 7 years ago

It has proprietary stuff involved that is resourced only to/by distributors.

Brady?

Betson?

Shaffer?

Anyone have good/bad experiences with any of these guys? Really good experience with another?

#16 7 years ago

Thanks, all. I am going to be able to look at this game tomorrow. I don't know if I'll have wifi in his pool house. Are there a few definite checks I can make to eliminate any quick fixes available to me?

Talking to Stern during business hours and have access to the game will require taking off work. I don't really mind doing that, but I don't want to end up wasting the day because Stern got busy.

Anyone have 4 or 5 bullet points to test NO AUDIO on a Stern Modified Type II Whitestar?

#17 7 years ago

OK, I have the voltage checks from the wiki +/-12 and +/-5 and reseat U7.

Anything else?

#20 7 years ago

So what fixed your no audio problem? You mention several suspects.

Quoted from maddog14:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-sound-now-gone
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-atmel-at49bv1614-11tc-at49bv162at-70ti-interchangeable
ebay.com link » At49bv162at 70ti Stern Pinball Whitestar At49bv1614 11tc Atmel Flash Memory
And yes, My LOTR is still working beautifully!!

#23 7 years ago

I just recently discovered that readers are add-a-lens when you stack them up.

Thanks for the info.

3 weeks later
#24 7 years ago

Thread resurrection:

Well, this was a bust. The distributer forwarded it to Stern and now (3rd week) they are thinking about sending it to the maker which will likely take another 2 weeks.

I deleted the mails when we sent the board to the dist. thinking it was a done deal. However, the owner is thinking about telling Stern to send it back and we'll get it fixed by one of the respondents from before.

SO, if you are sure you can repair this modified whitestar lord of the rings main control board please hit me up with a new estimate and ship to address.

Thanks!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 39.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 25.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lotr-no-audio-board-repair-suggestions-stern-board-repair?tu=cody_chunn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.