6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5285 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My right slingshot was misfiring so I began to fiddle with the switch blade spacing. While doing that, the switch died completely -- along with the entire GRN-GRY column (lanes and slings). I yanked the diode out and tested it, and it was indeed bad, so I thought I'd found the issue. I reflowed the solder on the switch and added a new diode and ... no change. The column is still dead.

So: I have a few more wire continuity tests to do (game is on location and I'll be back this weekend) but I have a bad feeling this is a board issue. Could a bad diode or some other sort of under PF issue knock out a switch column?

And: I saw that upstream from the column connector are transistors (confused by that), is that likely the component that's bad? I do have a donor board I can mess with.

I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find any Stern switch matrix problems/solutions like this. Any advice on testing or potential board issues is welcome.

IMG_5285 (resized).jpgIMG_5285 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

If you think it might be a board problem disconnect the playfield and test the switch matrix with jumpers. If it's still bad it's a board problem.

#3 6 years ago

If you verify if this is a board problem,you will need an o'scope or logic probe to troubleshoot further, but most likely you blew Q8 and replacing it should fix the problem.

#4 6 years ago

For the jumper test, would I simply “close” the switch on each pin by jumping the GRN-GRY column to each switch row pin?

I think a have a transistor year I can do on Q8 after that.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

#6 6 years ago

It’s pictured but not explained: but basic enough. No diode needed, you jumper the row and column pins in Switch test mode. I can do this. Will report back.

#7 6 years ago

Pin test confirmed column is dead on the board. No switches activate when jumped from pin 9. Replacing Q8 — still worried something under the pf can blow it again. Or maybe it was bad from the start? Yikes.

#8 6 years ago

Replaced Q8 and all is good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 7.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lotr-help-i-somehow-killed-an-entire-switch-column and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.