By DANGERTERROR

1 week ago

Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by DANGERTERROR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5285 (resized).jpg

#1 9 days ago

My right slingshot was misfiring so I began to fiddle with the switch blade spacing. While doing that, the switch died completely -- along with the entire GRN-GRY column (lanes and slings). I yanked the diode out and tested it, and it was indeed bad, so I thought I'd found the issue. I reflowed the solder on the switch and added a new diode and ... no change. The column is still dead.

So: I have a few more wire continuity tests to do (game is on location and I'll be back this weekend) but I have a bad feeling this is a board issue. Could a bad diode or some other sort of under PF issue knock out a switch column?

And: I saw that upstream from the column connector are transistors (confused by that), is that likely the component that's bad? I do have a donor board I can mess with.

I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find any Stern switch matrix problems/solutions like this. Any advice on testing or potential board issues is welcome.

IMG_5285 (resized).jpg

#2 9 days ago

If you think it might be a board problem disconnect the playfield and test the switch matrix with jumpers. If it's still bad it's a board problem.

#3 9 days ago

If you verify if this is a board problem,you will need an o'scope or logic probe to troubleshoot further, but most likely you blew Q8 and replacing it should fix the problem.

#4 9 days ago

For the jumper test, would I simply “close” the switch on each pin by jumping the GRN-GRY column to each switch row pin?

I think a have a transistor year I can do on Q8 after that.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

#6 9 days ago

It’s pictured but not explained: but basic enough. No diode needed, you jumper the row and column pins in Switch test mode. I can do this. Will report back.

#7 8 days ago

Pin test confirmed column is dead on the board. No switches activate when jumped from pin 9. Replacing Q8 — still worried something under the pf can blow it again. Or maybe it was bad from the start? Yikes.

#8 8 days ago

Replaced Q8 and all is good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 40.00
£ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Upper Freehold, NJ
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside