(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

It would make sense to do another run of Rocky & Bullwinkle because of the movie "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" and how popular it was with audiences

It wasn't - it was kind of a flop for Dreamworks.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

lol You really think it never dawned on Stern to do this until MMr came along? You think this is the first time they've rereleased a title?

People forget that LOTR and TSPP were in re-run for 6-7 years after they were released. Spidey, BDK, and Tron had re-runs years after they came out and were officially "out of production". So, this isn't entirely unique. What is unique is that they're actually putting some extra effort into this one w/ the new toys, metal-whatever Mustang style cab decals, and redoing the lighting system & code for LEDs.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yet a NIB Tron Pro sells for $900 more than it did when it came out even though it has crappy side decals and a crappy 2D translight.

Crappy decals? Screen printed had that low res "pixelated" look that people always bitched about. Decals are higher res & look much better. Also, if the cab of a screen printed game was damaged, it's boned. With decals, they're replaceable. I have a Tron LE, but I think the decals of the later Pros look much better.

Also, lots of people liked the 2D translites, especially the "girls" one.

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

T3 released as T4? Still a VE?

No, that would be a re-theme like FGY to Shrek. Plus it would be on SAM or the new system cuz T3 was Whitestar. ...but it's never gonna happen cuz Terminator Salvation came out years ago and sucked.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Decals get torn up on route in a hurry.
Ops never replace them, so they look like trash.

Screened cabs get scratched, graffiti'd, and worn by the flipper buttons. They look like trash and CAN'T be replaced.

Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing is stopping someone from putting a decal over a screen printed cab.

Screen printed Sterns didn't have replacement decals since they were never decalled in the first place. Now it's an actual "part".

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And that's good, but I've been printing decals for damaged games for a decade.

All cabs do, but screen printed (or stenciled ) cabs are more durable.
-
Like anything, there are pros and cons to decals.

You make decals for all the Stern games before Transformers?

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

POTC would be awesome if they were able to remake it using actual movie sounds and music.

That didn't happen the first time...the licensor isn't going to change their mind about it.

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

- spiderman: fits all three criteria, and not many units made for the spiderman Black edition either (gets my vote for the next Vault edition)

Black's an LE. Stern will never remake an LE.

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

What if Stern went way back in the vault and pulled out a Seawitch but added DMD.

Vault = something they have the parts/technology for...recent games only. Re-creating an 80's game would be like making something from scratch.

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

with the new vault editions coming out this will have quite a dampening effect on many stern titles?

Let me stop you right there for 2 reasons.

1.) There's no guarantee there is going to be a flood of "new vault editions". Again, I think Stern is just saying "we reserve the right to make more Pros & Premiums if there's demand, so don't cry about it if you thought you were gonna flip yours for 10k"

2.) Stern always has multiple games in production...if AC/DC and Metallica can survive on the line together, it's fine. People may not want any of the new games in production...but they might want an older title. It's a product line. Coke makes Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, etc...does Coke Zero take sales away from Diet Coke? Who cares, they get your money anyway. More choice = more customers = more sales.

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Classic Sterns were unlicensed and unramped games.
Should be relatively easy to manufacture.
If a complicated game like "The Pin" with ramps, speech, multiball, licenses, and flashers can be sold at a profit for $2500, a much simpler Seawitch should be money.

They'd still have to start from scratch and re-tool & re-imagine the guts...just like Retro did with King of Diamonds and PPS is doing with MMr. It would have to be built on modern hardware. I doubt there'd be enough interest from the classic collectors and zero from operators. Any speculation on "vault" releases should be DMD "modern" Stern games.

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most of the people I saw it with did not "get" the movie.

Of course I didn't get it! The rules of the movie don't make a lick of sense! When Sam is zapped into Tronland - he gets hit by a disc and bleeds. Is he still biological or is he made of 1's & 0's? Why didn't he turn into sugarcubes like other guys that got hit? If they zapped-in humans are biological, do they have to eat? There's a scene where The Dude & Sam are eating a roasted pig....is that a real pig, digital, or is it merely symbolic? If it's digital, can a human survive in Tronland off of fake food? If it's real...where did it come from? Did The Dude zap in a pig farm since he knew he was going to be in there for a while? Why is there an ocean in a computer? Why is there a bar for programs with a crazy machine gun wielding owner? Who actually wrote "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" on the script and thought it was a good idea for Sam to say it? When Quorra gets out and become "real" - is she flesh and blood real? In the original movie, it was "cute" that the programs and such were represented by human avatars....but the idea that they actually could be human? Whuuuuut?

The original movie was a "magical fantasy" that made sense in the 80's since computers were in fact like a mystical form of magic that as a culture we barely understood. Today...being surrounded by technology, Tron Legacy just seemed like weird nonsense...in this day and age, it's kind of impossible for Tron to have that fantasy sensibility...it has to play like a real tech movie with real rules.

Anyway, that was my impression when I saw it in the theater. Now that I have the Tron pin and love it like crazy...I did go back and pick up Tron Legacy 3D on Blu-Ray....I still think it's a dopey narrative, but if I just look at it as "The Dude & Daft Punk Trip Balls in Computer Land" I can kind of enjoy it

#412 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You pretty much hit on the couple of problems that I had with the sequel, bit it in no way tanks the larger narrative.
As far as programs becoming alive....it's no difference between a human become binary. Energy to mass, mass to energy. Same as a replicator in Star Trek, or the transporter.

The humans were humans first...programs were always programs...but represented by humans (cuz it's a movie) ...I don't think the programs were ever really literally meant to be little humans running around in a computer. Again - in the original movie, we could buy that in the 80's...this was a little fantasy world about a magical place. In 2011, computers aren't magic anymore...they're understandable technology.

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Stern should start licensing the Rifftrax audio to go along with their pins.

Ugh...then every game would sound like it had Beast from X-Men in it.

#416 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Except that Quorra wasn't a normal program, but an isomorphic algorithm. There were quasi-religious undertones about them, so all bets are off.
Still begs the question of whether or not Clu could have gone through. He sure thought he could.....

Ooooh Cluuuu...what a nut. That's actually interesting...what would happen if Clu went through? It's possible that he could get through since he was created in Flynn's likeness...but maybe nothing else would get through in human form? Maybe they would come through as some kind of electronic non-sense. Or- what if Clu comes through...and he's just human...walks outside and gets hit by a truck.

#446 9 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

So what about Transformers?
There is a 4th movie coming out in a week

What about it? You can easily find them used for decent prices. I'm guessing distributors still have a bunch of Pros & LE's in the warehouse as well. TF won't get a rerun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-look-for-future-stern-vault-editions-speculate?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.