(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, what are the limits? Could they re-do a Whitestar game with modern sound and boards? I know Rarehero and I would love to see TSPP with better sound quality.

I would like to see better sound quality on any Stern. Including Tron that already uses the SAM system.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tron Premium sounds dangerous to me. I mean, I like it as an idea, (be even better in a world without Eli) but seems too much like stepping on LE collector's toes.

Don't forget about all the pro owners that spent thousands of dollars to upgrade their machines. Stern will do what they have to do.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but LEs came with a promise that Pros didn't.

Change the cabinet art, some trim, and the translite and you have the same promise of the current LEs.

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

can we speculate/talk about something else now?

Sure. I want to see Stern pull this one out of the vault.
th-1-674.jpegth-1-674.jpeg

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Hurry!

Or you will be accused of having insider information.

Would it be considered insider info if I had guessed they would make a premium the day I bought my LE?

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

think about where their heads are at right now...

probably going to be something like:
a) Madonna the pin
b) Beyonce the pin
c) Homogenized Milk the pin
d) Clear Channel Top 10 the pin
e) Bland Man Brand the pin
f) The Beatles pin
g) Generic Bread the pin
h) Soccer Mom's Light Blue Minivan the pin
i) Payless Shoe Store the pin
j) Dry White Toast the pin
k) Kiss

Fixed it for you.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The thing is LEs are pretty key to Stern's success. The markup on them far exceeds their extra BOM. They sell very fast generally speaking. It's an easy instant cash infusion into a game's bottom line. Stern doesn't want to F that up.

You keep saying that, but premium editions of LE models are now the norm. If they made a premium Tron, it would be no different than making a premium Met, ST, Mustang or whatever. Unless they made some kind of guarantee back in the day that the Tron LE features would never show up on another pinball machine. I don't care if it happens, because I like the one I have and don't care about relative value like so many others.

I played both the LE and the Pro when they were new at the same place and it was more than just features. The LE played better.

The ones that might have a problem with it is the ones that sunk all that extra money into a pro just trying to emulate an LE, but that never happened. It made it better, but not even close.

If they do a premium then maybe they might be able to improve the sound, but there is not much more you can do to improve perfection.

No Tron LE owners are going to get butt hurt if Stern makes a Premium, because most of them plan on keeping it.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Of course that's not true, because those models were all announced AT THE TIME OF RELEASE. Obviously not the case with Tron if they come out years later with a so called Premium.

I agree with that but I'm not sure Stern ever said they wouldn't make a premium in the future, although LEs had premium stamped on the box and the playfield.

It is a very grey area, and we would need to go back and see how Stern presented it at the time it was first released to see what kind of promise was made.

They could get around a lot of this by calling it something else.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Why would anyone be against Tron Premium??

As long as they call it something else like Tron Vault Supreme, and changed a few things like the translite and the trim, there is really nothing anybody could do about it anyway.

Whether or not Stern needs the money that bad is another story.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well of course they would call it something else. They obviously aren't going to call it an LE!

As far as how it was represented, you had two choices: buy 1 of 400 limited editions that had lit ramps etc or the pro edition that didn't.

Well, I know we both made the same choice. And if they do it, it would affect the resale value of our machines, but would still be more than the original LE cost NIB.

So I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Don't look at pinball as an investment. Get what you like for what you are willing to pay at the time, and if you decide to get rid of it later on, accept the fact that you may not get it back. Just like anything else. And if you get a little more, then that helps make up for others where you didn't.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, agreed 100%. But the Limited Edition thing is a different promise. It's not the promise that says "your game will be worth more!" it's the promise that says "we're only doing it like this once". And that's appealing to a certain kind of collector, whatever money or investment or whatever else is involved. If you break that promise you kill that market in a lot of ways.

True. But whatever they decide to do, it won't be a replica of the LE. So the original collectors that wanted something different will still have that. As long as making money wasn't the driving factor in the decision to buy one, including myself as an original LE owner, we will still only be looking at and playing the machine that we bought and enjoying it, not the new release or what have you.

I agree it would not be a good choice by Stern because others look at things differently, but that doesn't seem to stop them from buying pinball machines. The model for any new LE will still be the same. A glorified version of the premium. So as long as they stick to that, current LE collectors will continue to buy them as long as they are more appealing than the premium model.

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Tron "Vault Edition"?

Tron "Vault Supreme"

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Who wants to buy my TronLE with clearcoated playfield, LEDs and video mod????

Is it a real LE, or an LE refake?

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's a Super Real LE #3xx (I can't remember).

But it's superior to the Normal LE because it got a day 1 clearcoat that looks like a sheet of glass.

Plays faster than fnck.

That sounds great! Well GLWS, because the way the wind is blowing, pretty soon the marketplace will be full of original LEs. I think I will sit this one out though, because both my daughter and myself and everybody that comes over likes the super steep, super fast, low milage original one that's already here.

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I instantly got a pile of PMs wanting to buy it

I figured you would.

#336 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I thought all the ?????? at the end of the selling statement would signal that I was being sarcastic

Well, what did you expect?
th-4-254.jpegth-4-254.jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-look-for-future-stern-vault-editions-speculate?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.