(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

The Data East Batman game based on the 1989 movie. (which came out in 91 for some odd reason)

I'd like to see standard sized DMD, new dots, better quality lifts from the movie, custom voice work from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, deeper rules, and a few, new surprises.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

License hasn't changed hands, still Sony. They just rebooted their own franchise is all. I agree that's a tricky one for that reason, even if it's the same company they probably don't want the old movie assets out there commercially.

So Sony better pull the DVD's and Blu-Rays of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies then!

And pull them from cable! And Netflix!

Money is money.....Sony wouldn't care about that.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe. These companies can be pretty anal about brand stewardship though, once the new logo and face of the franchise is out there all the old assets are depreciated and shelved.

There goes my Data East Batman remake! How many times has Batman rebooted since then? LOL!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Sure they would, the amount of money from the pinball license for Spider Man to Sony is minuscule compared to the brand awareness, and the movies have "moved on" from the Maguire series.
That's one of the drawbacks of the all licensed titles strategy, you're relying on the licensors to allow you to rerun popular stuff. My guesses for people who are still on board would be Simpsons and then another run of TRON standard (but only if they do release another film).

And you think a few re-runs of a PINBALL game from the Maguire era would bring down the new movies? LOL! Nope, they are doing that on their own!!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

spiderman is tricky because the movies have been rebooted. They could re-theme the original SM to Amazing spiderman, but I think they'd have to sell a lot more than 500 to make that worth their while.

Sony still selling Maguire Spider-Man DVD's, Blu-Rays, licensing it to Cable, Netflix, etc....

Just another check....

#44 9 years ago

And trust me....Sony could use the money. They're bleeding millions right now!

LOL!

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Batman changed, and the series became all about selling toys, whereas Batman Forever was only sort of about it. You can either rank the four films starting with Burton's as a series of four (as Warner Bros does, for instance), two series of two, or a series of two and two standalones. I've even hear someone argue that Batman, Batman Returns and Batman Forever are one series, and then Batman & Robin is a whole different thing.
I'll say the tone changes a lot between Forever and Batman & Robin. B&R is unwatchable. BF is sorta watchable.

The tone changed from Batman Returns to Batman Forever. Burton to Schmaucher.

Yes, Forever isn't as bad as B&R, but it's still a million miles from Burton's films.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

well, sony did announce a 30% increase in tv sales today. they seem to think of the advent of the biggest sporting event on the planet has something to to with the increased sales.

Too bad there's almost no profit in making TV's these days! It's brutal.

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

- Tron: fits two of the three criteria, not a future theme (so-so movie with a low chance of another sequel)

Tron Legacy was a very good movie, and Disney as well as director Kosinski have said they are planning on a sequel in the future.

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm a fan since the first movie (and love the pin) but I can still admit Tron Legacy wasn't a very good movie.

Nothing to admit. Being a fan of the original doesn't slavishly make you have to like the sequel. I like the sequel because it was good. Very good.

My rebuke to you would be, just because it's "hip" to dislike the sequel doesn't mean you need to jump on the bandwagon.

#395 9 years ago

I was 10 when Tron came out. With me being into video games and computers at that age, Tron made a huge impact on my childhood.

That being said, the film hasn't aged all that well. Some of the dialog is cringe-worthy. I still enjoy it, but at a sentimental level.

Tron Legacy, however, was a much deeper film, that explored more ideas than just being trapped inside a computer. It's really Flynn's story of watching his creation run amok because of his own shortsightedness, and not realizing he had everything he needed (Sam) right in front of him the whole time. That's an ageless story, not one stuck in early 80's computer jargon (Bring in the logic probe! No, null unit!)

Do I think Tron Legacy is perfect? No. It's stupid that Sam had his street clothes on when he got zapped inside the system, and that the Sirens had to give him that outfit. As shown by the original movie, the costume is part of you being a program. They are inseparable. Also, don't get me started on Sam bleeding.....

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#398 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I thought it was great. I was a big fan of the father son driving plot line over a romance driven plot line. The action was good. I hope the franchise has some legs now.

+1

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What? Nothing to do with being hip. It's just not a particularly good film. It has some fun eye candy that gets monotonous after a while and a fairly predictable and boring plot arc, and it's simply as a movie not very good. Nothing to do with "living up to the first film" or anything, the first movie is corny and fun as a relic of its time but not a great film either.
If you enjoy it then hey, enjoy it! I own it on Blu-ray too for that matter.

See my post above yours for the cringe-worthy dialog from the original, and the superior plot of the sequel.

#400 9 years ago

I was also impressed that Sam and Quarra don't have any kind of romance or even a kiss. Very unusual for a Hollywood movie. They stuck to the story that mattered; a father and son reconciling while facing down a ghost from his past that represented everything that was wrong with him at one time.

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from GreenMeerkat:

Funny you say that, I'm a huge fan of the original and was very disappointed in the sequel because I felt it was so very shallow. There was a whole religeous tone to the original which was completely dropped in the follow up. No one seemed to give a toss that Flynn was quite literally their god. And a tiny cameo of the title character is just poor form. I still enjoyed legacy but I don't believe it is anywhere near as revolutionary or creative as the original.

You lost me there! WAY more religious undertones in Legacy than the original.....from the "son of our maker" to the isotopes themselves.

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Of course I didn't get it! The rules of the movie don't make a lick of sense! When Sam is zapped into Tronland - he gets hit by a disc and bleeds. Is he still biological or is he made of 1's & 0's? Why didn't he turn into sugarcubes like other guys that got hit? If they zapped-in humans are biological, do they have to eat? There's a scene where The Dude & Sam are eating a roasted pig....is that a real pig, digital, or is it merely symbolic? If it's digital, can a human survive in Tronland off of fake food? If it's real...where did it come from? Did The Dude zap in a pig farm since he knew he was going to be in there for a while? Why is there an ocean in a computer? Why is there a bar for programs with a crazy machine gun wielding owner? Who actually wrote "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" on the script and thought it was a good idea for Sam to say it? When Quorra gets out and become "real" - is she flesh and blood real? In the original movie, it was "cute" that the programs and such were represented by human avatars....but the idea that they actually could be human? Whuuuuut?
The original movie was a "magical fantasy" that made sense in the 80's since computers were in fact like a mystical form of magic that as a culture we barely understood. Today...being surrounded by technology, Tron Legacy just seemed like weird nonsense...in this day and age, it's kind of impossible for Tron to have that fantasy sensibility...it has to play like a real tech movie with real rules.
Anyway, that was my impression when I saw it in the theater. Now that I have the Tron pin and love it like crazy...I did go back and pick up Tron Legacy 3D on Blu-Ray....I still think it's a dopey narrative, but if I just look at it as "The Dude & Daft Punk Trip Balls in Computer Land" I can kind of enjoy it

You pretty much hit on the couple of problems that I had with the sequel, bit it in no way tanks the larger narrative.

As far as programs becoming alive....it's no difference between a human become binary. Energy to mass, mass to energy. Same as a replicator in Star Trek, or the transporter.

#409 9 years ago

And folks, we're forgetting the LARGER problem at hand. If Stern makes a Tron Premium in the next couple of months, I'll have to choose between it and a Star Trek Premium! Now that's a decision I wasn't planning on having to make!

Can we please get back to my dilemma now?

#414 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The humans were humans first...programs were always programs...but represented by humans (cuz it's a movie) ...I don't think the programs were ever really literally meant to be little humans running around in a computer. Again - in the original movie, we could buy that in the 80's...this was a little fantasy world about a magical place. In 2011, computers aren't magic anymore...they're understandable technology.

Except that Quorra wasn't a normal program, but an isomorphic algorithm. There were quasi-religious undertones about them, so all bets are off.

Still begs the question of whether or not Clu could have gone through. He sure thought he could.....

#415 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Don't worry, Stern will be plenty busy with IM re-run, MMr assembly, Mustang LEs, Sterns new Fall title. I couldn't see another "vault" title until this time next year.

Here's hoping! LOL!

#418 9 years ago

And did Flynn write all those programs running around on the grid? I've written a few in my day, but not enough to fill the grid! LOL!

#421 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

Well, I think that would make it a new game then...though not a negative at all! Amazing...I found a HUO from a family that bought it back in 89 and the backbox still had the shipping blocks attached, ie, the backbox had never been opened. Original rubbers were all turning to dust. $1200 about ten months ago. Agree it is a great game! It would be interesting to see some true classics brought back, just don't know if they would sell too many and I think we would see the used market prices really take a hit, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If they bought it in 89, they must have had a beta! LOL! It was produced in 1991, oddly enough.

#445 9 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

New model with slightly different features but not a different series. I feel its more like buyng an AC/DC premium and compairing it to a Luci.
Don't ya think, The 5C was actually a cheaper phone as the external case is plasic. ( I think ) The 5S has small differences like finger recognition.
As a diehard apple person, I only upgrade every new series. It seems that I am always able to sell my old one for enough to purchase my new one with contract upgrade. I usually preorder and buy when its announced.

The 5S has more than small differences with the 5C. The fingerprint sensor is just the most obvious to market to a broad audience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 218.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-look-for-future-stern-vault-editions-speculate?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.