(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg
There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 9 years ago

Okay I think the TRON Premium conversation has run its course can we speculate/talk about something else now?

What about a SM re run? Not sure they'd have any luck renewing the license but it sure is one bad ass pin!

#252 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Hurry!
Or you will be accused of having insider information.

I do! Didn't you see the post by Lordloss?

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

can we speculate/talk about something else now?

Sure. I want to see Stern pull this one out of the vault.
th-1-674.jpegth-1-674.jpeg

#254 9 years ago

Okay I think the TRON Premium conversation has run its course can we speculate/talk about something else now?
What about a SM re run? Not sure they'd have any luck renewing the license but it sure is one bad ass pin!

I could totally see SM coming back, Disney/Marvel own the non movie license now and Disney/Marvel are pumping out the Marvel material so I could really see it happening.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for the heads up.
I need to start my TRON LE FS thread: $4000.00 obo.

"Well folks TronLE is a $4K game"

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Hurry!

Or you will be accused of having insider information.

Would it be considered insider info if I had guessed they would make a premium the day I bought my LE?

#257 9 years ago

Here is the line quoted from the last Chicago Gaming open house thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-home-run-my-visit-to-chicago-gaming-on-517

"Stacks of cut but unscreened Stern playfields. (Family Guy, Spider Man, Iron Man, LOTR, etc.)"
Tick IM off now I guess

Also, recently a Stern disty in my part of the world had an innocuous comment in a SM FS post that just happened to mention and I quote "before they are rerun" I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time thinking it was just an aid to sell the one he had. I do remember checking the Stern website just in case lol........(no I can't find the link so no evidence what-so-ever).

#258 9 years ago

x 10, SM is possibly the best pin eva!…………..New lights, audio, art and you get the ultimate wow factor!

I think SM is Stern's best pin, right along with Ac/dc……very close 2nd

#259 9 years ago

SIMPSON V2

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

Now, if Stern were really PR/marketing smart, instead of searching Pinside and other forums to see market demand they'd instead do a poll on their site asking who would be willing to pay a $1,000 deposit up front (a la JJ) for a reissue of (checklist of games). That would be a real promotable "the fans have chosen" event.
Methinks, however, that their choice of reissue games will be based on a combination of consumer demand and the stockpiles of playfields and parts they have left over from legacy games.

stern's last pin was a mustang pin... good frickin' grief. that's right up there with the Rollin Stones pin (gack-o-rama)

think about where their heads are at right now...

probably going to be something like:
a) Madonna the pin
b) Beyonce the pin
c) Homogenized Milk the pin
d) Clear Channel Top 10 the pin
e) Bland Man Brand the pin
f) The Beatles pin
g) Generic Bread the pin
h) Soccer Mom's Light Blue Minivan the pin
i) Payless Shoe Store the pin
j) Dry White Toast the pin

(....but there is something cool coming very soon)

toast-1.jpegtoast-1.jpeg

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

think about where their heads are at right now...

probably going to be something like:
a) Madonna the pin
b) Beyonce the pin
c) Homogenized Milk the pin
d) Clear Channel Top 10 the pin
e) Bland Man Brand the pin
f) The Beatles pin
g) Generic Bread the pin
h) Soccer Mom's Light Blue Minivan the pin
i) Payless Shoe Store the pin
j) Dry White Toast the pin
k) Kiss

Fixed it for you.

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fixed it for you.

yuuuup. you're right. it's a madonna pin

kiss-2.jpgkiss-2.jpg

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

They weren't the ones getting $6500.00 for NIB IM pros either, so I don't see your point.

The point is that If NIB pros command 6k now, it is likely that Stern could make even more money by selling premiums. Not sure they could sell a big run of pros at 6k. They are at 6k bc of scarcity.

Why do a run of pros at at pro or pro plus price, when you can "I love Lucy" it and and tag on another grand or two. Stern nailed the model with Metallica and ACDC in my opinion. Sell an unlimited number of premiums with the premium gameplay. = more happy pinball enthusiasts.

It could upset LE owners a bit I guess, but at most that is only 300 unhappy people. And a lot of them wouldn't care.

#264 9 years ago

Sorry, didn't see this. Posted last night and then went to bed!

#265 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for the heads up.
I need to start my TRON LE FS thread: $4000.00 obo.

PM sent.

#266 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

yuuuup. you're right. it's a madonna pin

Fme! My wife would make me buy that instantly. And if had that translite I would go kicking and screaming..... and maybe moaning and smiling a bit.

#267 9 years ago

Lotr would be epic.

#268 9 years ago

On the off chance that voting would work I vote for:

1) TSPP
2) LOTR
3) SM

Assume that improvements can and would be made where appropriate.

#269 9 years ago

POTC would be awesome if they were able to remake it using actual movie sounds and music.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

POTC would be awesome if they were able to remake it using actual movie sounds and music.

That didn't happen the first time...the licensor isn't going to change their mind about it.

#271 9 years ago

What would be awesome is a new stern platform in full color LCD...then remake TSPP, Tron, LOTR with full color and/or actual movie clips in case of Tron.

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What would be awesome is a new stern platform in full color LCD...then remake TSPP, Tron, LOTR with full color and/or actual movie clips in case of Tron.

Man I don't know what I would do if that happened. I'd prolly sell my old ones & get the new ones.

Dogh!

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

We actually have the ability to do that ourselves now, that's one game (along with X-Men) that sorely needs the help in that department.

#274 9 years ago

Late to this thread....has Stern EVER reran an LE title, period? I don't think so ( but I could be wrong)....yes, I just bought a TRON LE w 0 regrets.....just seems like a line that wouldn't be crossed for several ( including fiscal) reasons. Also given how protective Disney is with it's collectibles, period......happy dreaming/ speculating......

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Late to this thread....has Stern EVER reran an LE title, period? I don't think so ( but I could be wrong)....yes, I just bought a TRON LE w 0 regrets.....just seems like a line that wouldn't be crossed for several ( including fiscal) reasons. Also given how protective Disney is with it's collectibles, period......happy dreaming/ speculating......

They wouldn't be rerunning an LE, they'd just be making a premium. There has been precedence for doing something not planned originally well after the game was run (LOTR LE). I doubt if they make a premium though unless they get hard up for money in a couple years. I doubt if it would effect the LE market overall that much (although it would kill Tron LE prices temporarily) because almost all games have premium models anyways now, might torque a few people off temporarily but only from a financial standpoint...and if you're never selling it, it doesn't really make any difference. Like I have IM, the remake probably dropped mine $1k in 'theoretical' cash, but it doesn't make any difference because I'm never selling it.

#276 9 years ago

The thing is LEs are pretty key to Stern's success. The markup on them far exceeds their extra BOM. They sell very fast generally speaking. It's an easy instant cash infusion into a game's bottom line. Stern doesn't want to F that up.

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The thing is LEs are pretty key to Stern's success. The markup on them far exceeds their extra BOM. They sell very fast generally speaking. It's an easy instant cash infusion into a game's bottom line. Stern doesn't want to F that up.

I'm not sure how making a premium of a 3 year old game screws up their LE thing. They make premiums with every game now basically. So if they announce KISS LE or Walking Dead LE or Game of Thrones LE (along with premiums for all three, which is standard now) people aren't going to buy the LE's because they made a premium for a 3 year old game? They still bought AC/DC, Metallica, Star Trek, etc LE's when there were premiums. The ONLY reason anybody cares is the fact that it's a 10k game, other than that nobody would really care if they like made a rolling Stones premium now. Is there a rule somewhere that says that they can't make a premium later of a game that had an LE because there's demand for it? Making LOTR LE made some LOTR owners mad but they still did it, didn't seem to really hurt anything long term, this would be the same thing...next time a killer theme is announced, people will open their wallets again. If you start seeing a bunch of Tron LE's for sale, you know it's coming, just watch for the sign of people in the know trying to get out.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You keep saying that, but premium editions of LE models are now the norm. If they made a premium Tron, it would be no different than making a premium Met, ST, Mustang or whatever. Unless they made some kind of guarantee back in the day that the Tron LE features would never show up on another pinball machine. I don't care if it happens, because I like the one I have and don't care about relative value like so many others.

I played both the LE and the Pro when they were new at the same place and it was more than just features. The LE played better.

The ones that might have a problem with it is the ones that sunk all that extra money into a pro just trying to emulate an LE, but that never happened. It made it better, but not even close.

If they do a premium then maybe they might be able to improve the sound, but there is not much more you can do to improve perfection.

No Tron LE owners are going to get butt hurt if Stern makes a Premium, because most of them plan on keeping it.

#279 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Town is going Crazy! Sunday close out party!

Go Spurs!

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That didn't happen the first time...the licensor isn't going to change their mind about it.

Was that the reason? Either way, you can't deny that it would be an improvement. The original tune is starting to grow on me though...

#281 9 years ago

If the ACDC premiums don't affect the value of the ACDC LE , then why would Tron Premium affect the value of Tron LE ? I do not think it would. Tron premium - yes please. But one day I still want an LE .

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That could have been a limitation on royalties or timing of availability.. Not just denied

#283 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If the ACDC premiums don't affect the value of the ACDC LE , then why would Tron Premium affect the value of TRON LE ? I do not think it would. Tron premium - yes please. But one day I still want an LE .

Because the games were produced and purchased with a different set of expectations of rarity of features

Changing that by undercutting that LATER erodes future buying confidence. People would be less willing to pay more for uniqueness when that uniqueness is questionable. This is what happened when stern first did tiering yet was not up front with what editions would be made for a title. People got burned the first time around...

Stop thinking about labels and look at what the games offered vs the editions offered.

#284 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Changing that by undercutting that LATER erodes future buying confidence.

Right. Avatar owners were really not happy when the LE was announced months later, and many people said they would wait until all models were announced to buy.

Today, some models are announced with an unlimited number of premiums with the same features. Others aren't. If they just start having new trim models appear, it will erode some serious buying from people initially.

How many people do you think would have ordered either Xmen or Transformers knowing what happened to the resale market if they also had no chance of the games appreciating in value? I know I'd never think about buying angle again.

#285 9 years ago

Oh, and I don't own Tron LE, so protecting the value there makes no difference to me.

#286 9 years ago

Spider-Man
TRON
Simpsons

#287 9 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

If Stern is actually listening, I want to say a Tron Premium is a dangerous idea. I'll echo comments from others that it would erode their future LE market.

Let's be real, with their new model structure nothing is special. You can get the exact LE game in the premium version. Moving forward, no LE is all that special, except for art. Did LUCI erode ACDC.......No. I say run a Tron premium and to hell with collectors hoarding NIB and treating this hobby like they are a corporation..........I would rather see my money go to Stern in helping it survive.

#288 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Right. Avatar owners were really not happy when the LE was announced months later, and many people said they would wait until all models were announced to buy.
Today, some models are announced with an unlimited number of premiums with the same features. Others aren't. If they just start having new trim models appear, it will erode some serious buying from people initially.
How many people do you think would have ordered either Xmen or Transformers knowing what happened to the resale market if they also had no chance of the games appreciating in value? I know I'd never think about buying angle again.

I think it has already happened so Stern may as well cash in big time with a Tron Premium. They make premiums for every game now. Nothing, nothing is safe from being re-made!

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I bought XM LE with no chance of appreciation , or at least that is what I thought. The issue was being able to get one in my case.

IMHO, which is all it is, Tron LE would not suffer if a Tron premium were offered. Personally, I would still rather have the one with the numbered plaque limited to 250. But until such time as I can get one of those, the premium would fill the gap.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Because the games were produced and purchased with a different set of expectations of rarity of features
Changing that by undercutting that LATER erodes future buying confidence. People would be less willing to pay more for uniqueness when that uniqueness is questionable. This is what happened when stern first did tiering yet was not up front with what editions would be made for a title. People got burned the first time around...
Stop thinking about labels and look at what the games offered vs the editions offered.

Unless they ran more with numbered plaques and increased the actual LE production I don't think the uniqueness is in question. Tron LE is iconic to pinheads. It will always represent an interesting moment and I don't think the premium detracts from that. Tron LE holds it's over 10k valuation until the real crash, that is my speculation regardless of a premium should Stern go that way.

I got in 2/2012 , so could not buy ACDC LE at preorder prices but did get in on XM LE and ACDC premium, just for reference. Can't sell XM ever as it was my first NIB Stern. Has to stay forever just due to that.

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It would only erode future buying confidence if there was a game play differential in a limited edition - exclusive only to the LE. That model is now done. This isn't and never should have been a beanie baby or Franklin Mint type hobby (my opinion).

The new model keeps game play the same between LE and premium. The only differences are design elements. So, while I understand this move might upset some Tron LE owners that don't want me to have that gameplay in my machine, I think it makes a lot of sense for Stern and for pinball enthusiasts.

I won't/didn't buy a Tron pro because I've played the LE. I won't buy an existing LE because it isn't worth 10k to me. Bring out a premium at $6500ish and I am in.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I assume that anytime I buy a pin NIB that it will depreciate in value the moment I open it.

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Unless they ran more with numbered plaques and increased the actual LE production I don't think the uniqueness is in question. TRON LE is iconic to pinheads. It will always represent an interesting moment and I don't think the premium detracts from that. TRON LE holds it's over 10k valuation until the real crash, that is my speculation regardless of a premium should Stern go that way.
I got in 2/2012 , so could not buy ACDC LE at preorder prices but did get in on XM LE and ACDC premium, just for reference. Can't sell XM ever as it was my first NIB Stern. Has to stay forever just due to that.

You might have not been around at the time.

Imagine stern announced ac/dc as the pro and said nothing about other editions. You jump because you love acdc... Then a month later they announced the premium version with more stuff and a better game. Would you be pissed you didn't wait or feel burned that stern didn't tell you that that edition was coming? You betcha... And that is exactly what happened with games like avatar

Then look at woz.... They promote a le edition as this exclusive, top if the line edition that will only be available if you buy NOW. They up-sell you on exclusivity and that this is the best edition you can buy. You buy in those expectations. Then later they announce the ruby edition... Your le is no longer the 'best edition'

JJP sucked you in to buy early... And then after the fact changed the game. Those kinds if moves cause people to add more caution into buying decisions.

Similar with mmr - in day one you are willing to pay a premium because this may the only way to get one. Then they announce the standard. Now there is effectively unlimited supply... Now you are only paying for the features and some story... Vs availability at all.

Buyers learn that what you know right now... May change tommorrow... So they can be more cautious before jumping in quick and early.

And remember... The factory wants to sell up front as much as possible. They don't want to sit in inventory

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It would only erode future buying confidence if there was a game play differential in a limited edition - exclusive only to the LE.

Not just gameplay but what the game offers. Tron is a great example if this... The huge differentiators were the ramps and tranlights ( the extra mb is not huge )

But when Eli's kit comes out... And the other mods... The feature exclusivity of the le is undercut. Now it's extra value is purely in the labeled le nature... And not really about looks or game play.

The less differentiation there is... The less value divide.

The x of y numbering if titles is of limited value in the pin hobby because it's still more if a playing hobby than it is a display my collection hobby.

Le numbering still plays second fiddle to game play and presentation

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Imagine stern announced ac/dc as the pro and said nothing about other editions. You jump because you love acdc... Then a month later they announced the premium version with more stuff and a better game. Would you be pissed you didn't wait or feel burned that stern didn't tell you that that edition was coming? You betcha...

That is exactly what happened with AC/DC Luci edition, yet I did not see the villagers lighting any torches.

Why? Because it's only pinball.

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Then look at woz.... They promote a le edition as this exclusive, top if the line edition that will only be available if you buy NOW. They up-sell you on exclusivity and that this is the best edition you can buy. You buy in those expectations. Then later they announce the ruby edition... Your le is no longer the 'best edition'

I think WOZ people were more angry that JJP was building Ruby editions, instead of finish up the already paid in full WOZLEs.

Every Ruby, even the prototypes, is time wasted from finishing the LEs.

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You keep saying that, but premium editions of LE models are now the norm. If they made a premium Tron, it would be no different than making a premium Met, ST, Mustang or whatever.

Of course that's not true, because those models were all announced AT THE TIME OF RELEASE. Obviously not the case with Tron if they come out years later with a so called Premium.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is exactly what happened with AC/DC Luci edition, yet I did not see the villagers lighting any torches.

Luci was just another variant - it's not an upgraded game nor were premium buyers buying thinking they had the highest level game. There were no pretenses for premium buyers compromised by luci. Just another alternative that wasn't available when they bought. Plus luci is more expensive than earlier runs.

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If the ACDC premiums don't affect the value of the ACDC LE , then why would Tron Premium affect the value of TRON LE ?

Not tell if serious?

In case you are, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the release of a Tron Premium would have a negative impact on the value of Tron LE. Is this really a point of contention? Let's see: Tron Premium at $6k or Tron LE at $10k? I think it's pretty obvious that the majority of people will go for the Tron Premium, resulting in lower demand for Tron LE. I can't believe that I actually had to type that out!

And again with the stupid ACDC Premium not affecting the value of the BIBLE: it was impossible for it to have a negative impact BECAUSE IT WAS ANNOUNCED AT THE SAME TIME. IT ALREADY EXISTED. How can something that already existed have a negative impact on the value of something else??

Quoted from vid1900:

Why? Because it was simply another version of the already existing (and non-limited) Premium edition.

#299 9 years ago

Luci is the best version of AC/DC.

It's window is clear (unlike the LEs), and it has the best artwork by far.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think WOZ people were more angry that JJP was building Ruby editions, instead of finish up the already paid in full WOZLEs.
Every Ruby, even the prototypes, is time wasted from finishing the LEs.

If course there is that too... But if production was not so far behind the stated would still be true. The ruby had to be about fresh cash flow at the expense of preorders.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-look-for-future-stern-vault-editions-speculate/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.