(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg

There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I have a HUO Seawitch I've been married to forever that you can have.
Hell, I'll even through in free shipping.
But have to warn you... There's no off switch.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Makes zero sense to do a premium version of Tron.

LOL! Do you really think that?? Tron premium = $$$$$$$&

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

TSPP (you can buy them $4000 or less)

Part of the reason these are so cheap is most of them are in bad condition. Stern would sell out of a 500 machine NIB run of TSPP with LED's and minor upgrades at that IM price point quickly in my personal view.

#154 5 years ago

You have to remember. If they did redo TRON even in its current state. A bare bones TRON is one of the weakest looking games out there straight from the box. ( I know I bought one ). When modded out with about 1500 dollars worth of lighting, leds, toys, trim, colored protectors, eli kit, scoop cabinet, ect. ect. ect is when it becomes the game that we know and love. To charge between 5 and 6 k may be fine for a few must have guys. But as a whole I dont see them selling many at that price point then having guy spend an additional 1500/2000k modding one out when they can buy a HUO for less

That and the fact they used what ever was left in parts to build there last run.

My 2 cents

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL! Do you really think that?? Tron premium = $$$$$$$&

But but but....but then Rob would lose out on thousands he spent to get an LE back! They can't re-run Tron premium!

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Part of the reason these are so cheap is most of them are in bad condition. Stern would sell out of a 500 machine NIB run of TSPP with LED's and minor upgrades at that IM price point quickly in my personal view.

Do you really think they could sell TSPP for 4500. I would wager to say price point would be closer to 5800 like a premium.

I have a perfect documented HUO example of this title and would not let it go for less than 5k.

#157 5 years ago

Gamatron would be a fun surprise remake.

gamatron.jpg

#158 5 years ago

I wonder if they stole the idea from ROM the Space Knight ?

ROM-148.jpg

#159 5 years ago

I'm holding out for a Paragon LE

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

On Tspp I thought that big homer head was a toy and stern bought hundreds of those for the machine. Those would be hard to reproduce.

I work in plastics, no they would not be hard to reproduce. Cost prohibitive to a degree, but hard to reproduce, not so much. The chances of the original mold still being around are pretty good.

#161 5 years ago

My whole opinion of this whole thing is predicated on one thing.....When the #@*& are they going to announce the next new game? I could not care less about a rerun of an IM, or speculation about Tron, or any other game I can go find and buy tomorrow. Where is TWD? Oh and Kiss, can Kiss my @ss.

#162 5 years ago

Yup. If (obviously) this means more time till the next new game...then BAH. I already paid in full for the next new Stern LE due to that Metallica LE fiasco, so bring it on! I want a Stern zombie pin , not Kiss please.

#163 5 years ago

Anyone else remember that thread where someone toured Stern's cabinet maker's factory and how they had stacks and stacks of "old" playfields laying around......

#164 5 years ago

Now, if Stern were really PR/marketing smart, instead of searching Pinside and other forums to see market demand they'd instead do a poll on their site asking who would be willing to pay a $1,000 deposit up front (a la JJ) for a reissue of (checklist of games). That would be a real promotable "the fans have chosen" event.

Methinks, however, that their choice of reissue games will be based on a combination of consumer demand and the stockpiles of playfields and parts they have left over from legacy games.

#165 5 years ago

On TSPP being reproduced...

Why? You can get a really nice HUO for just north of $4k or a routed one for ~$3k+. If Stern can give me a TSPP NIB for $4k, absolutely...But I won't pay $5k for one. Nope.

I expect to see Spiderman and LotR get reproduced, though. I honestly don't foresee them doing TOO many repros since they are really kicking ass lately with AC/DC, ST, and MET.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Really? Then where are all the $4000ish Trons for sale? Not questioning your info, but why are they all mid $5000+.

They all have $7000 worth of mods on them.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, because of supply and demand, very few are left. I get that.
But is there enough demand? My point is they just did a 3rd run recently. Is there still enough demand for a real run again?

Yes, without a doubt. There are many of us with a game at the top of our list that don't have the cash on hand when the game is run and won't pay $1500 over later on to get it.

#168 5 years ago

How about new vault editions the new system. Lots with a LCD display. Ha maybe AC/DC will get a LCD upgrade. Stuff like this just will tick off those who originally bought games and tank the value of older titles.

#169 5 years ago

My first NIB purchase would be a lotr remake. Are you listening stern?

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have his kit on my Pro, love it, no complaints. I guess they could split the difference, do a Pro with the light up ramps, but standups and no Daft Punk multiball or moving recognizer? Always gonna be owners unhappy about a remake, but LEs came with a promise that Pros didn't. Same with games before that model (see LOTR LE).

Could you not 'add' the Daft Punk multiball with pinball browser? After-all is it not just a Daft Punk track?

Also apart from the lit-up ramps do you 'miss' the other LE bits?

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Could you not 'add' the Daft Punk multiball with pinball browser? After-all is it not just a Daft Punk track?
Also apart from the lit-up ramps do you 'miss' the other LE bits?

I thought I read that the way things communicate on the LE are too different to allow for adding the Daft Punk mode. It's a special multiball related to hitting the left and right ramps 4 times each (one spells DAFT the other spells PUNK).

And having owned a kitted out Pro for a short while, putting the Eli's Ramp Kit makes the Pro so damn close to the LE that it ain't worth it (imho). Some folks would disagree, and they're entitled to...But the ramp lights alone do it justice.

#172 5 years ago

RBION I am lucky enough to own a pearler and lots of people want it.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

HUO Simpsons sell in the low $4000's. Players games sell in the $3000's. They take a little time to sell also. They also, by now do blah on route I would guess. It has no sex appeal compared to SM, IM ACDC, MET, ST etc.. I just do not think 500 people would dish out upper $4000's for a game they can buy HUO, but hesitate on at low $4000's.

#174 5 years ago

Tron premium priced correctly would probably have crazy demand. Add the ramp lights, DP mode, moving recognizer, and LEDs..no brainer for Stern IMO. Keep the typical LE bling to the LE models like the Chrome trim, numbered plaque, and signed playfield. They would not only capture people that are looking for a Tron but, also the people that would upgrade their pro. The only downside is possibly ruffing the feathers of about 400 LE owners, a drop in the bucket really.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

But but but....but then Rob would lose out on thousands he spent to get an LE back! They can't re-run Tron premium!

Not true at all.

They could release a Tron Premium and it would still cost more than I paid for my Tron LE, even the second time around.

Thanks for the concern though. You guys give me the warm fuzzies!

#176 5 years ago

I'd likely buy an IJ4 re-release if they did a code update for it.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Its well worth it. The eye candy factor is just amazing. Lets not forget TRON LE came with incandescent bulbs, how much better would it be with current LED lighting schemes like they are adding to IM? For instance, X-men still wows me with its light show even after the ~1900~ plays Ive put on it.
TRON pro NIB does lack in the lighting department quite a bit, I still really enjoy all the added under cab/apron flashers every time I play mine.

I'm much, much happier with my Tron Pro now that I added Herg's LED OCD board and smoothed out the inserts LEDs. There's so much blinking and pulsing in that game, it makes a huge difference to me.

#178 5 years ago

I just don't see a Tron Premium. Which is technically what the Tron LE was called actually. Remaking a limited edition just for some short term profit (I agree it would sell) would be short sighted, because it would really gut their LE model. Which is part of their bread and butter now. LE is a promise that it's actually limited and won't be redone.

Witness the outrage when Jack essentially broke that promise with the Ruby Red. He's desperate for cash I guess, but Stern shouldn't be.

#179 5 years ago

I'm amused how that one line at the end about looking for future vault editions has so many people thinking they're going to re-run a bunch of junk RIGHT NOW. They've done re-runs before, they'll do re-runs again when warranted, but to assume this sentence somehow means there's a bunch of re-runs in the queue seems daffy to me.

#180 5 years ago

I'd sure like to see them produce more BBH Pros.

Was apparently quite a low-production game.

#181 5 years ago

I agree you will see IM re-run this year and back to normal business/other business. Next year maybe you will see another re-run, but no sooner than that.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm amused how that one line at the end about looking for future vault editions has so many people thinking they're going to re-run a bunch of junk RIGHT NOW. They've done re-runs before, they'll do re-runs again when warranted, but to assume this sentence somehow means there's a bunch of re-runs in the queue seems daffy to me.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm happy to wait a year or so for a NIB Tron at a reasonable price....sounds good to me.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Witness the outrage when Jack essentially broke that promise with the Ruby Red

Was the outrage from the new limited model itself or from JJP pumping them out before filling original commitments of the first LE? To put it in the Tron argument, it would be like Stern taking deposits on the first 400 LEs and not shipping all of them out, then releasing a new LE. That would certainly warrant an outrage.

#184 5 years ago

Looking at some recent titles I would like to see in the following order
(keep in mind I own LOTR and TSPP)

SM
RBION
TRON
WOF with finished code
IJ4
POTC

When I was on a stern tour during the initial AD/DC build, there was a SM cab sitting in the middle of a stack of cabs, I jokingly asked Steve Richie about building me one of those, he smiled and said "there were no plans to build any more SM, at least not yet", so you never really know.

#185 5 years ago

First off, Ironman is a great game, and you should buy it if you don't already have it. The ball to ball intensity is extremely high.

If Stern is actually listening, I want to say a Tron Premium is a dangerous idea. I'll echo comments from others that it would erode their future LE market. That being said, I'm not entirely convinced that Stern (especially under Gary's watch) is concerned about that....

Concerning LOTR and TSPP, aren't those different board sets? Personally, I think if there are other re-runs, we'll see Stern capitalize on low-hanging fruit -- that's where the most margin is, right?

All that being said, I think the Ironman re-run, and manufacturing the MMr run is a good move on Stern's part. Hopefully it is buying them time keeping the line busy, while it frees up their development team to work on a new board set, new display, and other innovations.

If there is any extra "downtime", I also think it would behoove Stern to continue to make improvements to their existing game code. Kudos to them for updates to Tron, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. Personally, I would love to see fully populated Instant Info in Ironman code, as well as some further enhancements to AC/DC (utilizing the cannon inserts, randomized jackpot shots from the cannon, a mini-wizard mode, etc.)

#186 5 years ago

Id buy a NIB LOTR for sure

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Was the outrage from the new limited model itself

Yes. People were rightly pissed that they bought the LE and then he went and made some other even more expensive more special edition.

#188 5 years ago

TSSP would be nice to see again.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

TSSP would be nice to see again.

Only if they improve the sound quality with new hardware or something, otherwise I don't see the point.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

I want to say a Tron Premium is a dangerous idea. I'll echo comments from others that it would erode their future LE market. )

They already did that with AC/DC luci and Metallica's Dirty Donnie Special editions.

#191 5 years ago

Really hope they do a lotr run and with this new development chances are they will

#192 5 years ago

IM and TRON with upgraded lighting, sound and artwork adjustments…..call it whatever you want, "vault edition", "special edition" or "limited edition", what does it matter, it will be better than the older pins with those improved upgrades…..

I wonder how many Ac/dc "Luci" limited editions have been sold now?

Either way, I don't see how they will sell more than 500 of any "vault edition", maybe so, we'll see….

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

...if you are an Tron LE owner with a pin that will likely tank in value (like MM from MMr) if the features are similar.

#194 5 years ago

No way, you'll still have that numbered plaque.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It makes perfect sense to make a Premium Tron.

1. More money for Stern

2. By adding in the lighted ramps and extra modes from the LE, even many current owners of Tron Pro would buy it.

3. By Stern not making the Premium a numbered or Limited Edition, they would not kill the value of my TronLE.

4. I know of only 2 TronLEs on route, and both are good earners. An affordable Premium would allow more Ops to deploy them - good for pinball.

#196 5 years ago

As a Tron Pro owner with Eli's kit I really don't care if they release a new version. Won't be upset, won't worry about the value of my game, blah blah. But I think the LE owners will feel hurt, and it would definitely give pause to future LE purchases. No one likes feeling like a sucker. Given how the LE strategy is so key to Stern's game plan it just seems short sighted to mess with it just to move a few hundred units.

#197 5 years ago

I'm a Tron LE owner and wouldn't be bothered by a Premium edition. Of course, I'd be happy to be buried in my LE. I just jumped in on the IM remake because I think it's a kick ass game and was a dumbass years ago when I could have picked one up at a reasonable price. Judging by the 4-5 threads on this, it's a contentious issue. Still, the more of popular games the merrier. I definitely don't buy as an investment. Not even gold. It's a great time to be in pinball if you're fairly new to the hobby. Not so much if you've got the best Williams and Stern titles in a kick ass game room. Even then, you've got the best games in the hobby, and originals at that, so strut and enjoy, you're the king daddy rabbits, regardless of remakes.

#198 5 years ago

TSPP ain't coming back; it'd cost them a fortune to build:

Four complete flipper assemblies (plus most of a fifth for Homer), a wooden mini-playfield, 3 molded plastic ramps, two complex metal wireforms, the functioning garage door, custom bumper caps, one VUK, two ejects, one 3-bank droptargets, the moving Bart skateboard captive-ball toy, the Homer head, plus CBG and the Itchy/Scratchy dolls.... *WAY* more BOM than they're used to putting in even the LE games currently.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But I think the LE owners will feel hurt, and it would definitely give pause to future LE purchases.

Why would I feel hurt?

A premium would not be a limited edition. Stern could run a few hundred more every few years. There will always only be 400 LEs.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As a Tron Pro owner with Eli's kit I really don't care if they release a new version. Won't be upset, won't worry about the value of my game, blah blah. But I think the LE owners will feel hurt, and it would definitely give pause to future LE purchases. No one likes feeling like a sucker. Given how the LE strategy is so key to Stern's game plan it just seems short sighted to mess with it just to move a few hundred units.

Have to agree there. I'm not a big fan of LEs or the hype they command but buyers do pay more and allow Stern to offer Pros at a good price point. I've loved some of the recent Pros so I'm a fan of those that buy mostly LEs. If your gonna continue to ask LE buyers to pay crazy high prices don't alienate them by doing something like this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fullerton, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside