(Topic ID: 94022)

Stern: "Look for future Stern Vault Editions." Speculate!

By Aurich

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 454 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stern-vault.png
Tron3pin.jpg
Lazor12.JPG
pirates-zizzle-1.jpg
th-4-254.jpeg
kiss-2.jpg
toast-1.jpeg
th-1-674.jpeg
ROM-148.jpg
gamatron.jpg
crash-and-burn-money.jpg
golden_goose.jpg
xsheerness-8359.jpg
dump1.jpg

There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 5 years ago

At the end of the Iron Man announcement it says "Look for future Stern Vault Editions."

Makes perfect sense to me, why the hell not? Seems to me the only "rule" they should follow is to never re-release an LE, anything else sounds like fair game. I'm personally thinking that probably should include a "Tron Premium" that mimics the LE. And they did more Tron Pros not that long ago, doesn't seem like a slam dunk title. What does that leave?

Also, what are the limits? Could they re-do a Whitestar game with modern sound and boards? I know Rarehero and I would love to see TSPP with better sound quality.

#2 5 years ago

Family Guy/Shrek, or some other game rethemed

#3 5 years ago

Lord of the Ring, prices are continuing to climb.

#4 5 years ago

LOTR...would be all over that one. Although I am personally not a fan on remakes

#5 5 years ago

Only a few titles make sense and if anything this is a concerted effort by manufacturers to sway psychology.

Just the idea that any game can be remade means the secondary market drop and creates a bigger spread in the NIB to used market. I am guessing that these guys are thinking if they can piss on the secondary market then that leaves more dollars for NIB sales?

I think theri logic is shortsighted and flawed in the long run, but the last sentence is really just to plant a seed. Same thing as Rick has been doing. It is a like an elaborate trick to try and convince you to buy new.

#6 5 years ago

Stern saw how well received MMR was and decided to do the same. Why should they not profit from rerunning a game that has sold in the secondary market for almost double of what the original IM sold for?

The thought of some on here that how dare they rerun a game that is worth more because of supply/demand is short sighted. They should be happy that Stern is making more games and keeping pinball alive.

For Iron Man, there was speculation that the license would be hard to obtain since it now belongs to Disney. This completely blows that speculation out of the water and opens up to so many possibilities Tron Premium being the main one. If they can get Disney licenses; they can get Family Guy, Simpsons, heck they could even rerun AVATAR(ha-ha)

#7 5 years ago

I'd like to see Spiderman.

It's another title, like IM, that commands (did command) a high price on the secondary market and seems to have the following.

The only downside is that the artwork, etc. don't match what people now think of with the rebooted franchise.

#8 5 years ago

spiderman makes spider-sense.

#9 5 years ago

Interesting...I wonder what will be next. No desire for IM personally, but congrats to those of you who will be owners of one now!

#10 5 years ago

LOTR, SM, possibly Tron... sounds good.

#11 5 years ago

I want a Sopranos. I would buy one NIB for sure. Also Tron with the ramps. Monopoly with finished rules. Spiderman is just not my favorite, so meh on that one. If Stern was ever set up to do it a la carte, I would probably try out 24 and CSI as well NIB. I mean if they have PPS library as well...it might be fun to go through the WMS years, year by year from 1991. I know that's a stretch but with technology marching on and 3d printing who knows what they could accomplish

#12 5 years ago

SM would be a great second vault edition pin. Will wait for a cheaper original IM to surface in the meantime...

#13 5 years ago

The Data East Batman game based on the 1989 movie. (which came out in 91 for some odd reason)

I'd like to see standard sized DMD, new dots, better quality lifts from the movie, custom voice work from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, deeper rules, and a few, new surprises.

#14 5 years ago

I'd say anything that is selling used for $5K plus. If people will pay NIB prices for a used machine I'd think it would be on the table when they talk about the next machine.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The Data East Batman game based on the 1989 movie. (which came out in 91 for some odd reason)
I'd like to see standard sized DMD, new dots, better quality lifts from the movie, custom voice work from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, deeper rules, and a few, new surprises.

That would be sweet as I could finally get a nice PF for it Doubtful though to say the least.

#15 5 years ago

Totally in for a Tron LE or updated Simpsons.

#16 5 years ago

No brainer would say SM and Tron premium
Maybe TSPP, LOTR, POTC?

#17 5 years ago

hard to say what would be actually likely. SM movie license has changed hands, so maybe not likely to get the toby mcguire version? LOTR - doubtful as the movie is now old, and the new incarnation (Hobbit) is JJP domain. Tron.. they already re-ran the pro, no new movies coming out that i'm aware. In the vein they have to make operators happy more than us, hard to say what is current enough and popular.. IM fits that due to the marvel avengers and IM movies, what else? If XM had sold better I would say that one.

#18 5 years ago

Tron Premium sounds dangerous to me. I mean, I like it as an idea, (be even better in a world without Eli) but seems too much like stepping on LE collector's toes. They gotta be careful about that. A Pro game? Sure, no problem. But they could really screw the already shaky LE market going there.

#19 5 years ago

WWF with a theme refresh!

Just kidding, I like the 90's era wresters better than modern-day anyway.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

SM movie license has changed hands, so maybe not likely to get the toby mcguire version?

License hasn't changed hands, still Sony. They just rebooted their own franchise is all. I agree that's a tricky one for that reason, even if it's the same company they probably don't want the old movie assets out there commercially.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, what are the limits? Could they re-do a Whitestar game with modern sound and boards? I know Rarehero and I would love to see TSPP with better sound quality.

I would like to see better sound quality on any Stern. Including Tron that already uses the SAM system.

#22 5 years ago

It would make sense to do another run of Rocky & Bullwinkle because of the movie "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" and how popular it was with audiences

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tron Premium sounds dangerous to me. I mean, I like it as an idea, (be even better in a world without Eli) but seems too much like stepping on LE collector's toes.

Don't forget about all the pro owners that spent thousands of dollars to upgrade their machines. Stern will do what they have to do.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tron Premium sounds dangerous to me. I mean, I like it as an idea, (be even better in a world without Eli) but seems too much like stepping on LE collector's toes. They gotta be careful about that. A Pro game? Sure, no problem. But they could really screw the already shaky LE market going there.

I may be in the minority here but I think Eli's kit looks far better than the stock Tron LE kit. The colors are much brighter and more vibrant and I think the integration is just as good if not better.

#25 5 years ago

LOTR with improved print quality (preferably all-new hand-drawn art, will never happen but it's nice to dream) and improved sound quality. A killer game and a killer theme hobbled by poorly rendered art and sound.

And imagine all the friends Stern would make in Jersey if they got a LOTR Vault Edition out before The Hobbit!

#26 5 years ago

As much as I'd like for all the non-LOTR owners to have their chance at a NIB LOTR remake, there's no way Stern could do it for $5k. It has way more going on than any LE.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

License hasn't changed hands, still Sony. They just rebooted their own franchise is all. I agree that's a tricky one for that reason, even if it's the same company they probably don't want the old movie assets out there commercially.

So Sony better pull the DVD's and Blu-Rays of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies then!

And pull them from cable! And Netflix!

Money is money.....Sony wouldn't care about that.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I may be in the minority here but I think Eli's kit looks far better than the stock TRON LE kit. The colors are much brighter and more vibrant and I think the integration is just as good if not better.

I have his kit on my Pro, love it, no complaints. I guess they could split the difference, do a Pro with the light up ramps, but standups and no Daft Punk multiball or moving recognizer? Always gonna be owners unhappy about a remake, but LEs came with a promise that Pros didn't. Same with games before that model (see LOTR LE).

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

It would make sense to do another run of Rocky & Bullwinkle because of the movie "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" and how popular it was with audiences

It wasn't - it was kind of a flop for Dreamworks.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but LEs came with a promise that Pros didn't.

Change the cabinet art, some trim, and the translite and you have the same promise of the current LEs.

#31 5 years ago

So Sony better pull the DVD's and Blu-Rays of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies then!
And pull them from cable! And Netflix!

Maybe. These companies can be pretty anal about brand stewardship though, once the new logo and face of the franchise is out there all the old assets are depreciated and shelved.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe. These companies can be pretty anal about brand stewardship though, once the new logo and face of the franchise is out there all the old assets are depreciated and shelved.

There goes my Data East Batman remake! How many times has Batman rebooted since then? LOL!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

LOTR with improved print quality (preferably all-new hand-drawn art, will never happen but it's nice to dream) and improved sound quality. A killer game and a killer theme hobbled by poorly rendered art and sound.
And imagine all the friends Stern would make in Jersey if they got a LOTR Vault Edition out before The Hobbit!

They could remake LOTR, but how much do you think they will want for it? There is no way it will be the same price as IM, and they have already made so many, the prices on LOTR are not that high. I have had only a bit of interest im mine, on CL for 5k. Its a really nice game, It might be priced a tad high, but its hard for me to let it go.

#34 5 years ago

I'm cool with any Stern remakes as long as it doesn't cost any jobs in their design teams.

#35 5 years ago

Sure they would, the amount of money from the pinball license for Spider Man to Sony is minuscule compared to the brand awareness, and the movies have "moved on" from the Maguire series.

That's one of the drawbacks of the all licensed titles strategy, you're relying on the licensors to allow you to rerun popular stuff. My guesses for people who are still on board would be Simpsons and then another run of TRON standard (but only if they do release another film).

#36 5 years ago

I wish they could do some more LOTR's and TSPP's.

#37 5 years ago

I'd like to see Catacomb or Seawitch priced like The Pin.

They are simpler than games like The Pin, so it should be no problem to hit that price point.

#38 5 years ago

Tron, Spiderman, X-Men, LOTR.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Sure they would, the amount of money from the pinball license for Spider Man to Sony is minuscule compared to the brand awareness, and the movies have "moved on" from the Maguire series.
That's one of the drawbacks of the all licensed titles strategy, you're relying on the licensors to allow you to rerun popular stuff. My guesses for people who are still on board would be Simpsons and then another run of TRON standard (but only if they do release another film).

And you think a few re-runs of a PINBALL game from the Maguire era would bring down the new movies? LOL! Nope, they are doing that on their own!!

#40 5 years ago

Big Buck Hunter LE

#41 5 years ago

Oh! I got it!

Their next Stern Vault Edition is Medieval Madness!

#42 5 years ago

Spiderman is tricky because the movies have been rebooted. They could re-theme the original SM to Amazing Spiderman, but I think they'd have to sell a lot more than 500 to make that worth their while.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

spiderman is tricky because the movies have been rebooted. They could re-theme the original SM to Amazing spiderman, but I think they'd have to sell a lot more than 500 to make that worth their while.

Sony still selling Maguire Spider-Man DVD's, Blu-Rays, licensing it to Cable, Netflix, etc....

Just another check....

#44 5 years ago

And trust me....Sony could use the money. They're bleeding millions right now!

LOL!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd like to see Catacomb or Seawitch priced like The Pin.
They are simpler than games like The Pin, so it should be no problem to hit that price point.

This would certainly be cool, but does Stern own all of the "Stern classic" IP?

#46 5 years ago

Come on guys. From the Vault. Were is the new Orbitor 1?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Come on guys. From the Vault. Were is the new Orbitor 1?

I would rather see a vault edition Striker Extreme.

#48 5 years ago

Keep em coming!!

Remakes in 10 years will be buried next to the ET cartridges and Arcade cabs.

Looking forward to some dumpster diving!

dump1.jpg xsheerness-8359.jpg golden_goose.jpg
#49 5 years ago

Bring on LOTR!!!! Stat.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 454 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside