(Topic ID: 257235)

Stern Lightning - some data not being saved after shutoff

By frenchmarky

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Game works fine during play, match, attract mode etc., but noticed now if I power off and on again, the match number always comes up '17'. Also the number of credits can change to a way different number than it was before. But other things seem to store okay when turned off/on like the last game score, high score to date etc. I tried clearing every setting using the button on the MPU but no change. Do I need to clear something else some other way? Why would it only goof up some settings and not others?

#2 4 years ago

The match number 17 at power on is normal. Credits should not change though. Check battery voltage after game has been off for some time.

#3 4 years ago

More observations, the match might also display '27' sometimes, and it also does this just from a reboot when I exit the settings with the inner door button. So is the '17' normal for just Lightning or any similar-era Stern game? I can't seem to get the credits to go wacky now, perhaps it was only during the first time I'd powered it up yesterday in a few weeks and the battery was just totally drained... but all the score thresholds I'd set many months ago have always been saved correctly.

#4 4 years ago
#5 4 years ago

Okay, I guess I don't really have an issue then. The occasional '27' is still weird but, oh well. I'll doublecheck the battery voltage, it is an original Stern board. My mind is really going, had this game bout 20 years and I never paid attention to that odd '17'. Thanks everybody!

#6 4 years ago

Could it be possible that the problem is in display wiring/connectors? If the match randomly changes from 17 to 27, does the same happen with credits?

#7 4 years ago

I don't believe so, it's only 17 or 27 on powerup or reboot. Matches show fine at end of game and all the displays show correctly during play, the diagnostics and the display tests. I just turned it on three times in a row, got one 17 and two 27s. Can't get the credits to change anymore. Great, now the '27' is beginning to bug the HELL outta me! I think the credit issue was my fault with the wrong coin switch setting and didn't notice it was adding a ton of credits instead of only one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
$ 199.95
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lightning-some-data-not-being-saved-after-shutoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.