Stern Lightning MPU-200 not booting

By CanadianGamer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been working on this Stern Lightning MPU for a while now. I have 3 boards for it, one crappier than the other. I did however have it working fine at one point, I was just working on some switch issues when the MPU died on me, and the LED just stays on solid. I had already replaced the game ROM's U1-U6, which seemed to help it get going initially. The sound cables were another issue but I made new cables which did the trick there.

So after it died I went to the flipperwinkel site and went through all the procedures, I even made a test fixture so I could work with it easier on the bench. I replaced sockets for U9, U11, tested the reset circuit and it seemed to be fine, bought new 6800, 6820's for U9-U10,U11, voltages seem ok, and all sockets seem to have continuity down the line. I spent all day going through every website and procedure I could find, but nothing really makes sense, I still have a solid on LED when I start it up. There is no battery damage, so the only thing I can think is that my U9 6800 or U11 6820 was bad and the new ones I got are bad as well? I bought 2 of each just in case, and neither has solved my issue.

I did the short R1 and R3 to ground test and the MPU dropped to .4v or whatever it was supposed to do, shorted pins 39 and 40 on the MPU and it didn't reset, etc, I think I covered everything I can with a DMM and no logic probe but still no joy. I hope I've explained myself well enough, and I hope someone can shed some light on this problem, I know it can be hard to find. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I had the same kind of problem with my Trident. If your test fixture is a computer power supply (as mine was) put the board back into the machine. It will probably work OK now.

For some reason the computer power supply didn't work very well for me. Others on here suggested the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Bob

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Bob, it was only after I got tired of installing-reinstalling the board every time I tried something that I made the test fixture, just much less work than hooking it all up again. I'll give it a shot though just for kicks.

FWIW I have fully replaced the J4 connector and pins as well before trying it on a test fixture.

#4 9 years ago

-- >i will shock

Don't spend time with the old board.

Buy one alltek board to replace definitely the bug . After 4 classic Stern, and 3 bally's , i have decided to stop fixing, waiting long hours to replace sockets, chips , reset circuit or connectors.

http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html

I agree it's not a purist-method but it"s efficient.
(just ordered 2 pieces)
Let us know the result.

Lionel

#5 9 years ago

I know that is probably the best solution, I just hate giving up, especially knowing that it was working fine. I'll keep trying before caving in and buying a new board. Anyone have any suggestions?

#6 9 years ago

When you are working on the board, pull all the socketed IC chips except the ones mentioned here

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#LED_locked_on

Now short pin 39 and 40 on the CPU at U9. Does the LED turn off now? It should.

It seems like your reset section has some problems.

You can go ahead and replace all components in the reset section to fix it. The other option is using the DS1811 or MCP100-460-DI/TO. I am actually planning to try an MCP100 for the first time on a board I am working on now which has problems with the reset.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice Spybryon, I did all that and shorted 39/40 and LED did not turn off. I must be interpreting the info on that page wrong, I thought if the light didn't turn off the reset was ok. I've ordered all new parts for reset circuit from GPE. I'll post my results, wish me luck lol.

Good luck with your MCP100, will it replace the entire reset circuit or something?

#8 9 years ago

I am not sure why your LED is stuck on. Yes LED should turn off when you short those pins 39 and 40.

What are you using to short them? Sometimes a screwdriver is handy to use, I have a small flat blade. I know it seems obvious but make sure whatever you use is reasonably conductive and Cpu chip legs are clean.

That MCP100 does the job of the reset circuit and the advantage is, less parts are needed. Instructions on the same pinwiki page I linked above.

I just put one in my board, powered it up and LED was locked on. I tried reset and still locked on. So it was like your board! I picked up the board and it flexed just a little bit, set it down, and started working with 2 flashes. I only expect 2 since my 5101 ram is out. So I think I still have some bad traces somewhere. Maybe that is your issue too. Have you buzzed out the CPU and eprom sockets for continuity? Even if it buzzed out once, maybe you have intermittent connection.

#9 9 years ago

I used my dmm lead to jump 39,40 so I'm pretty sure it made contact. I have buzzed out the chips for continuity and they're good. I don't think its traces since it was working fine in the game before it quit but I could be wrong. If the new parts for reset don't fix it I'll probably have to go the route of a new mpu I guess. I will spend some more time checking traces in the meantime but so far they've all tested good. Thanks again, I'll update after repairs.

#10 9 years ago

Just finished rebuilding the reset circuit with all the recommended diodes, resistors, capacitors etc... still no joy, just a solid light. I kind of expected that, this is a weird problem. Still I'm not ready to give up just yet, and I'm always thankful for any advise anyone can throw at me.

#11 9 years ago

Do you get the same results in the game?

#12 9 years ago

Yes, I tried it in the game after using the test fixture, same results. It's strange to me that it was working and powered up when it quit on me, so it would seem like a component is fried? I had two of the MPU 200 boards working at one time, now they're both doing the same thing... I've just gone over all the pins on the chips to check for connectivity and they're good it seems.

#13 9 years ago

I've handed it over to a friend of a friend who's an electronics technician, we'll see if he can get some results. I'll post whatever I find out from him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 125.00
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lightning-mpu-200-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.