20230810_152349 (resized).jpg
received_6843831662302281 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230810_204027724 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230810_204144987 (resized).jpg
20230729_170816 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230727_191716_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230727_192710_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230727_193023_01 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

When I posted some pictures of my Stern Lightning in another thread, I realised there wasn't a club for this pin yet. So... here it is.

'Now why does a pin like Lightning deserve a club on Pinside?' one might ask. Well, I like to think of it as one of those under-the-radar-pins'. A machine that's lots of fun, there just aren't a lot of people that actually know how fun it is. And Lightning sure is fun. A beautiful 2 level layout, fast gameplay, refreshingly quirky Classic Stern-rules, awesome artwork, multiball, speech... I could go on.

So, any owners or admirers of the game here on Pinside? Make yourselves known! I'd love to see or hear about your games.

#2 8 years ago

Let me start with my own machine. I bought it in very sorry condition. Lots of warped and loose inserts, mildew on the playfield and even some small dead animals inside. I patiently took the time to do a small budget renovation. Now it's in very nice and very playable condition.

Among other things, I straightened and reseated the inserts, touched up and clearcoated the playfield and repainted the legs and the coin door. Here are some before, during and after pics.

Before
Before: inserts warped and came looseBefore: inserts warped and came loose
Before: the coin door and legs in their original, slightly rusted conditionBefore: the coin door and legs in their original, slightly rusted condition
During
During: carefully popping the inserts out of the playfieldDuring: carefully popping the inserts out of the playfield
During: some nasty mildew around the postsDuring: some nasty mildew around the posts
During: inserts goneDuring: inserts gone
During: a little helpDuring: a little help
During: drying from a clearcoat. I put some extra clearcoat in the round inserts to deal with the cupping.During: drying from a clearcoat. I put some extra clearcoat in the round inserts to deal with the cupping.
After
After: coin door and legs freshly repaintedAfter: coin door and legs freshly repainted
After: one of the previous problem areas has been dealt withAfter: one of the previous problem areas has been dealt with
After: Yay! No more warped blue inserts eitherAfter: Yay! No more warped blue inserts either

After: the upper playfieldAfter: the upper playfield
After: the lower playfieldAfter: the lower playfield
After: the boards, free of battery damage and with all new capacitorsAfter: the boards, free of battery damage and with all new capacitors
After: the backglass, lightly touched up and sealed with clear varnishAfter: the backglass, lightly touched up and sealed with clear varnish
After: the completed machineAfter: the completed machine

I also installed a small mod: I installed a ramp flap underneath the upper playfield outhole. This makes the ball always leave the top playfield through the right side of the horse shoe. Now, the ball never hits the points switch on the left side when it exits the top playfield. This means you actually have to hit the horse shoe to get those points, which in my opinion contributes to the fairness of the game. Didn't take any pictures of the mod yet, but I am happy to do that if anybody is interested.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

I like your idea of the ramp gate in the horseshoe.

Thanks! It works really well. Adds a bit of speed too, as the ball comes out of there a bit faster than it would without the mod.

Quoted from Evilive69:

If you want to add a little more speed to the game, take the gates off the ramps.

Cool idea! I think that would make the game too fast for me. It's already lightning fast with the gates on (pun kind of unavoidable).

#6 8 years ago

Well, great club of 2 we got here!

Any other proud owners of this awesome game?

2 months later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Just joined the club! Game has a couple issues, but should work out fine. Anyone have a link to rule set?

Welcome to our small club!

I don't think there is a ruleset for Lightning available on the internet. Or is there?

Some important rules:
- Hit the 3 drop target banks in the right order (they're numbered) to light Extra Ball.
- After this, the spot where the Extra Ball can be scored switches between the middle target of each drop target bank.
- Hit all the standup targets on the playfield for Multiball.
- During Multiball, playfield multiplier is activated by shooting the horse shoe (2x-4x). This continues during one ball-play, until you loose that ball.
- During multiball, you can re-lock balls. When you do, they stay locked. This means multiball may end by locking 2 balls during multiball. The multiball rules however stay active until you lose your ball.
- Every drop target you hit adds 1000 point to your end of ball bonus.
- Bonus multiplier can be lit in the horse shoe (2x-5x).
- The bonus of your last ball carries over to the next ball. (this might be operator adjustable).
- Valhalla (timed bonus ball) can be played one time each game, after reaching a score set by the operator.
- During Valhalla, you have 30 seconds of unlimited single ball play.
-After 30 seconds of Valhalla time, the flippers die. Unless you scored a multiball during Valhalla time.

Not a complete ruleset by any means, but this should give you an idea.

#15 7 years ago

How's the big blue inserts on your games? They tend to warp pretty badly. On my game, some balls even slammed into the plastic above the horse shoe, because the inserts were acting as mini ramps.

You can flatten these inserts by pulling them out of the game (which luckily went very easy on mine), sanding them straight with high grit sanding paper (carefully), polishing them and then glueing them back in the playfield. Afterwards, you might want to add some sort of protection to it. I clearcoated mine, but mylar should work fine as well.

6 months later
#36 7 years ago

Think so, yeah. Don't have it here to test, though...

2 months later
#39 7 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Would love to see a picture of this! What size ramp steel?
Just joined the club on Friday. It's in rough shape but still a fast game. Planning on doing a thorough shop out, maybe addressing some inserts as well as fixing some wiring hacks and rebuilding flippers.

Congratulations! Great title, well worth shopping out.

I'm afraid I can't take a picture of the mod right now. The machine is at my brother's place, a few hours away.

Basically I took the flap from an old Banzai Run-ramp. Cut it to size a bit and fastened it with two screws on the lower side of the upper playfield. The screws are on the left of the hole and make the ball deflect to the right exit of the horse shoe on the lower playfield every time it falls into the hole.

Do you get the idea? If you want a clearer description, I can try to draw it for you.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Think I got it. So you just used screws like you would for a ramp flap?

I don't remember exactly which screws I used. The most important thing is that the head is as flat as possible. You don't want them to interfere with a ball that's shot into the horse shoe. It's a pretty tight place, since the upper playfield is not that high above the lower playfield.

Could you take pictures once you've done the mod succesfully and post them here for reference? I think it's an interesting mod for more Lightning owners.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I don't remember exactly which screws I used. The most important thing is that the head is as flat as possible. You don't want them to interfere with a ball that's shot into the horse shoe. It's a pretty tight place, since the upper playfield is not that high above the lower playfield.
Could you take pictures once you've done the mod succesfully and post them here for reference? I think it's an interesting mod for more Lightning owners.

1 month later
#44 7 years ago
Quoted from josh0203:

Hello club lightning ; can anyone tell me a fair price to buy one in good condition? Thanks, Josh.

Hi Josh, welcome! Could you define 'good condition' a little better? How is the backglass? How is the playfield (including inserts: they tend to warp badly.)? Cabinet? Plastics? Electronics?

et cetera.

1 month later
#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Murph74:

Right now, the voice has died but sound effects are working. A few bulbs are out (right side 2x, extra ball are the ones I've noticed).

Hey man, welcome to the club! Sounds like your machine might need a serious makeover, but that's part of the fun!

The voice dying could have multiple reasons. The voice IC that Stern used is not the strongest one. But: it might also be a fuse.

Does your General Illumination (GI) work? This is the illumination that is supposed to be on constantly, mostly found underneath plastics and behind the backglass. If none of the GI lights work, the fuse for the GI might be bad. Don't ask me why, but the voice card of these classic Sterns is on the same fuse as the GI is. So if the voice ánd GI are out, chances are that this fuse is the reason.

The fuse is located inside the cabinet, on the Power Supply board. You can see this board in the 6th photo of the second post in this thread (the one with the cat inside the machine).

If the fuse for the GI is indeed bad, make sure that you use the correct value to replace it. There is a reason that the fuse went bad in the first place, and you don't want to stress components by overfusing. The value that's supposed to be in there is written on the board, next to the fuse. If the new fuse goes bad after turning the machine on again, you probably have a short somewhere.

Good luck!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Murph74:

Great info, Jappie! Thank you! I'll check it out when I get back to the bar. I *think* the GI is working, but could be mistaken.
Is there a direct replacement LED equivalent for the playfield bulbs or is it better to just use the style that's already in there?

That's a matter of personal preference. LED puts less stress on things like connectors and produces less heat. LEDs look different from incandescant lamps, both in appearance and in glow. I'm not a fan of using coloured LED in GI in most cases. It washes out the other colors. But, like I said: personal preference.

The lamp driver board of these classic Bally and Stern machines doesn't 'like' regular leds. They ghost and flicker a lot. Only the computer controlled lights are affected by this. The GI doesn't use the lampdriver board. If you do want to put LEDs in the computer controlled lights, you have 2 choices: use special leds or install an aftermarket lamp driver board from Alltek: http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html#lamp

Good luck!

8 months later
#71 6 years ago

This picture shows the mod I did to my Lightning. I'm not big on modding normally, but this one increases the playability of the game dramatically. It's a simple piece of sheet metal (an old ramp entrance, to be specific) that is attached to the underside of the upper playfield, on the left side of the hole where the ball exits the upper playfield.

It makes sure that the ball always deflects to the right when it leaves the upper playfield, making sure that you can never score a playfield multiplier or bonus multiplier without actually hitting the horse shoe.
the modthe mod
Now, pretty please, somebody fix the multiball rules for this great game and we're golden.

2 weeks later
#74 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Things I’d change if I had the code and compiler:
1. Add an option to release the captured balls at the end of the game.
2. Make the attract mode lighting less schizophrenic.
jappie what don’t you like about the multiball rules?

Nice restoration! @Evillive69 explains exactly what I don't like about the multiball rules. IMHO, during multiball, the game should spit out re-locked balls. And the multiball rules should end when you're back to one ball. This would make the game much better.

2 years later
#96 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Okay, so I’ve joined the club.
Every insert is raised and/or loose. And as you can tell from the pics, it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 30+ years. It’s filthy, but seems to be complete.
So my question is: Is this game worth putting all the work into? I’m sure I’ll get biased answered from this crowd
I’ve got a bunch of other project lined up, and am trying to gauge where it will fit in the queue.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Definitely worth it, if you ask me. It's a cool game to play. Fast and furious, like the name suggests. Cool sounds and a nice set of rules with some interesting Classic Stern twists.

With things like multilevel, multiball and speech, it's one of the most elaborate offerings of the company. A game that has not (yet) been discovered by the solid state afficionados.

Mine had the same problem with the inserts. I took them out, flattened them and secured them back in. After that, clearcoated the playfield. Quite a job, but very doable. The game came out beautiful and played amazingly because of it.

Apart from the filth and the insert problem, your game looks to be in very nice shape. I'd say go for it.

BeforeBefore
AfterAfter

1 year later
#121 2 years ago

Good to know: slochar is busy tweaking the software for Lightning. The game will finally be relieved of the annoyance of balls re-locking immediately. That and other tweaks.

Follow the progress and send your suggestions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/software-mods-for-classic-stern-games

6 months later
#141 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Download these if you want a set for your machine:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! I like how the style compliments/matches that of the machine itself.

Is it an idea to add a drop shadow to the font? A con of a busy background like this one is that it makes the instructions quite hard to read.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I'm finishing up not one but TWO Lightning restorations, and the first is fully reassembled and flipping (huzzah!)
Only problem is, I got no speech. The primary sound board is working, and it has the jumper modification called for in PinWiki. The speech board is the new Glodstone one, and it works when I use its built in self test. But when I start a game, nothing. I'm stumped! Would welcome input.

Another possibility would be the fuse. The original speech board shares a fuse with the General Illumination, however strange that may sound.

So, something else to look at is: does your GI work?

4 months later
#165 1 year ago

Heads up! New Lightning code from slochar

Quoted from slochar:

Finally got around to posting the new lightning v21 at:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/
New in this revision, fixed the spinner counter so it wouldn't go wonky sometimes
Added free play (dip settable)
Added 'solenoid saver' (drop banks only reset if at least one target is down at ball launch)
Need to get back into Quicksilver and fix the game over lamp bug/hstd scroller if you have match off.

8 months later
#186 1 year ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

IPDB’s manual says Q13 is the transistor for the 2x playfield multiplier. Can anyone confirm that this is actually correct? I replaced it and that light is still not working.
Or any other leads as to what component(s) might cause this?

I can't confirm that, but I do know that classic Stern lamp sockets aren't the most reliable type.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 125.00
$ 199.95
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lightning-club-welcome-to-valhalla?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.