Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lightning-bonus_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi!

The bonus display at a Stern Lightning 1981 does not show the units, tens and hundreds.

This bonus display is placed in the playfield. Its a 6 digit, (only 5 digits from the right are visible), connected to the BTI-100 interface.
See attached schematic.

All the signals at that connector are connected to the credit display - only pin 3 comes from the solenoid board, solenoid 18.

The hundreds and thousand are used from the credit display, because they are not in use.
They work fine. Bonus counts etc... The 1, 10 and 100 must be generated somewhere.

I checked the cables conncetions 3 times, all are good. Sure because they all (except pin 3, Sol 18) go to the credit display and that works fine.

But where come the "zeros" for 1, 10 and 100 from?

example how the bonus looks like: X39000
The onehundred digit (X) is not in use, (not visible, only the right 5 ones). The other 1, 10 and 100 should be always "0"

- In diagnostics the 3 digits do not work
- Tried other displays, directly at the connector with and without the BTI-100 interface, they all do not show the 0, 10, 100.
I'm not wondering about that, because its the same like credit display and that does not show that digits. See schematic.
- I replaced Q1, then U2, nothing changed.
- Checked connector pins & cables at the solder pins, twice, all have good contact
- I checked Sol 18 Transistor and cable connection, looks good.
- I detached the connector from the credit display - nothing changed. Credit Display does not make this issue.

Now however my question is:
- what does Solenoid 18 do?
- how are the zeros at 1, 10 and 100 generated?

Then I think I can find a solution.
Nothing can be found in the internet about that bonus display or a similar issue.

lightning-bonus_(resized).jpglightning-bonus_(resized).jpg

2 years later
#2 5 years ago

I'm working on a similar problem. On my Lightning, the display for Bonus/Timer was showing garbage. After reflowing the header pins and replacing the decoder chip, it improved to showing nice bright Zero's in all digits. They would never change when bonus was earned. I repinned the connector at the display, no good. Also repinned the Solenoid 18 wire at J5, no good. After repinning J3 and J4 on the SDB, success! All is working now. It seems there are some "continuous and momentary solenoid data" pins on J4. I believe this was where the problem was.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 3.00
$ 10.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 125.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lightning-bonus-display-missing-digits-need-expert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.