IMG_0083_(resized).JPG
IMG_0082_(resized).JPG
IMG_0081_(resized).JPG
IMG_0080_(resized).JPG
IMG_5756_(resized).JPG
IMG_9383.JPG_(resized).jpeg
IMG_9386_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I picked up my second pin today - a Stern Lightning. I paid $100 for it and its in pretty good shape. The machine powers up and I can get it go through the diagnostics but every time I hit the right flipper the lights dims and I blow the coil fuse. I noticed the upper level right flipper is stuck - I cannot move it with my hand. Even when the machine is powered down. Do you think being locked up would cause that fuse to blow? I plan to rebuild that flipper and go from there. Do people recommend replacing/rebuilding both sides?

IMG_9386_(resized).JPGIMG_9386_(resized).JPG

IMG_9383.JPG_(resized).jpegIMG_9383.JPG_(resized).jpeg

IMG_5756_(resized).JPGIMG_5756_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Just rebuild all four flippers. It's cheap and then it will work like new and you won't have to worry about it for a while.

#3 7 years ago

I have new tempered replacement backglass if anyone is interested. Have in stock one with a few faint scratches near the edge on front, & a nice one.

IMG_0080_(resized).JPGIMG_0080_(resized).JPG

IMG_0081_(resized).JPGIMG_0081_(resized).JPG

IMG_0082_(resized).JPGIMG_0082_(resized).JPG

IMG_0083_(resized).JPGIMG_0083_(resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

The upper flipper coil is probably shorted. Measure across the lugs with an ohm meter. The high power coil should read about 3 ohms. If it reads less it needs to be replaced.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The upper flipper coil is probably shorted. Measure across the lugs with an ohm meter. The high power coil should read about 3 ohms. If it reads less it needs to be replaced.

Took the flipper apart and found this - Plan to rebuild both upper flippers. Does anyone have the schematics for the upper flippers on this machine? I'm not sure I trust the original wiring.

IMG_9400.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_9400.JPG (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lightning-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.