Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Blubberpud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200403_120146 (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Hi all, my first support post, please be nice

Stern Lightning 1981, has been sitting for years. It has had mods/updates done through the years (mostly regulator board but test points seem to be within tolerances).

I have removed and cleaned as much as I could and followed "Repairing Bally Electronic Pinball Games from 1977 to 1985 (http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm)", by cleaning battery corrosion (not too bad) and cleaned up and added some new "beefier" supply lines and ground on the MPU.

When it boots, get all 7 flashes and game comes up and plays, BUT I cannot connect both ribbon cables from SB-300 to J5 on MPU-200 as shown, if right side is connected to J5 game will not start or pass "light checks"

This makes sense that the right side of J5 controls 1/2 of PF sounds...

Any help on next steps or troubleshooting is much appreciated, thx in advance.

Jay

20200403_120146 (resized).jpg
#2 9 months ago

you cannot connect the 2 ribbons because...? Do you have issues with the connector on the top of the MPU board?

Historicall those ribbons are pretty crap, there good replacement like the one from Weebly. It also show reference picture on how the Ribbon should connect.

https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#3 9 months ago

I can physically connect the ribbon cables to J5, but when I plug in the right side, game will not start. Get the quick MPU LED flash.....and then nothing....

Remove ribbon from (right side) of J5, starts np , just lack of sound of 1/2 playfield.

#4 9 months ago

Any change if you remove and then swap the two connectors with each other before reconnecting in case one has a bad pin etc.?

#5 9 months ago

From what I remember the ribbon cables have to be installed a specific way. There should be 1 stripe on each cable that is different colored than the rest and if they aren't installed the right way the game wont boot.
I will see if I can find pics of when I had Lightning.

#6 9 months ago

Thanks guys, I verified both cables were okay, and went over locations of pin1 and we seem to be good now! both ribbon cables plugged in and full sounds!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside