(Topic ID: 323843)

Stern light up sign

By KISS73

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

384C126A-A93F-48EE-971F-1A4CF0F3722B (resized).jpeg
    EED2EC3D-B295-4015-90A7-AA9F8CEEB9AE (resized).png
    IMG_3427 (resized).jpg
    A94ED2F9-EEC8-4E4F-9028-FFA289BF805A (resized).jpeg
    1EE725AC-FD36-4373-9181-836D0700EDA9 (resized).jpeg
    Classic Home Gamerooms - Stern Neon (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Has anyone purchased this sign from Stern? If so, can you post a picture. I would like to see what it looks like before I buy one. Thanks

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from KISS73:

Has anyone purchased this sign from Stern? If so, can you post a picture. I would like to see what it looks like before I buy one. Thanks

you mean the stern pinball alley sign? can you actually buy one?

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from jake35:

you mean the stern pinball alley sign?

No, the newer Stern sign.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

Been wanting to see it too in someone’s home arcade.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jake35:

you mean the stern pinball alley sign?

I believe he means this one.

https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/light-up-stern-sign

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from KISS73:

Good News is I got one.. Bad news is I wont be home until Monday to get pictures but its great IMO.. Bright light, made with great material

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from number_runner:

Good News is I got one.. Bad news is I wont be home until Monday to get pictures but its great IMO.. Bright light, made with great material

yeah that’s the one. Was it work the cost?

#8 1 year ago

I like that Stern is offering a nice LED light sign, but... well, it's not NEON.

I went a little bigger for our store, but I had to make it myself.

This sign (above the banners) is a 48” x 76” sign.

It uses window vinyl lettering with a raised platform for the word pinball and a mirror finish window vinyl raised platform for the pinball. Look closely and you can tell that it's not exactly Stern's official design (the pinball doesn't have the same decorative elements).

The word STERN is made of 36 feet of 12mm neon glass powered by two 14kv neon transformers.

It is hard to explain how incredibly bright the neon is on this sign.

Pictures don’t do it justice.

It's easily visible almost a city block away. Neon is bright!

Personally, I just ordered a couple of amazon offerings (search for 'Stern Pinball Sign') for about half the price of the LED offered by Stern.

A lot of these are neon (amazing presentation), but it's what my friend who bends glass calls 'chinese neon'. It uses thin diameter glass tubing that will burn out quicker than beer sign neon, and underpowered transformers that will fail pretty quickly.

Really nice while it lasts... no way to get it fixed when it goes out.

The LED signs will last a lot longer, but you don't get that amazing neon look.

If you only burn your neon sign while you are enjoying the room, or only while entertaining, the inexpensive neon signs available on amazon are a pretty good deal.

Classic Home Gamerooms - Stern Neon (resized).jpgClassic Home Gamerooms - Stern Neon (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago

I am talking about the sign in Sterns store for $499

#10 1 year ago

$500 bucks for a 24" sign seems high to me.

#11 1 year ago

$100-$200 - maybe but $500 is absurd for such a small sign. Easy pass. I bought the Stern Neon on Amazon for $109 instead.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

I went a little bigger for our store, but I had to make it myself.

Turned out great. Thank you for sharing a picture.

Disclaimer : Still a fan of the Stern Pinball Alley sign. Someday.

3 weeks later
    #13 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay.

1EE725AC-FD36-4373-9181-836D0700EDA9 (resized).jpeg1EE725AC-FD36-4373-9181-836D0700EDA9 (resized).jpegA94ED2F9-EEC8-4E4F-9028-FFA289BF805A (resized).jpegA94ED2F9-EEC8-4E4F-9028-FFA289BF805A (resized).jpeg
    #14 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice, is it overly bright? Just on off or adjustable?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Looks nice, is it overly bright? Just on off or adjustable?

Not overly bright and it just has an on/off feature.

#16 1 year ago

Hello guys!!! By looking at your photos... i was wondering where to get these pinball banners.
    I would like a godzilla one !

Thx

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchman:

Hello guys!!! By looking at your photos... i was wondering where to get these pinball banners.
    Thx

Any distributor can order them for you. Contact ZMeny and he can hook you up.

#18 1 year ago

You could probably come really close 3D printing one for around 30 - 50 bucks

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchman:

Thx

I get the banners from Marcdaddy

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

You could probably come really close 3D printing one for around 30 - 50 bucks

3D printing is not my thing but if you throw one together for $50, let me know, as id love to test it.

#21 1 year ago

3D printing is not my thing but if you throw one together for $50, let me know, as id love to test it.

Steps if interested... If not I'm sure some distributor can manage to sell you one for the 500 plus shipping & tax.

1. create vector file of Stern Logo & negative so you can use as stencil later. (Export both out as SVG then extrude in tinkerCad)
    also scale up to 24"X13H slice in two pieces
    2. purchase LED kit as well as small picture frame kit/hooks
    3. Glue LED strips to back after painting sanding & masking

Presto!! For well under a hundred you have the sign I'd make one for myself possibly down the road.

I'd imagine this would be 7-10 build.
    I'll send you pics; but right now I'm working on life-size ESB C-3PO

IMG_3427 (resized).jpgIMG_3427 (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago

Unfortunately not worth it to sell at 50. It's a DIY thing man if I were to do one I'd charge at least 200 plus shipping.

#23 1 year ago

You can grab a real neon for under $150 on ebay.

384C126A-A93F-48EE-971F-1A4CF0F3722B (resized).jpeg384C126A-A93F-48EE-971F-1A4CF0F3722B (resized).jpegEED2EC3D-B295-4015-90A7-AA9F8CEEB9AE (resized).pngEED2EC3D-B295-4015-90A7-AA9F8CEEB9AE (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-light-up-sign and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.