Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jetspeedb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've always steered clear of LED's because of the strobe effect when tracking the ball across the playfield. However; after playing a couple of the new Stern machines that are blinged out with LED's, I realized that they don't seem to have this issue. Is Stern using a certain type of LED that reduces this effect? I have a DM that I would love to put LED's in, but I'm afraid I won't be able to stand the strobing effect.

#2 10 years ago

I am certainly no LED expert, but I've been told by a few seperate people that the newer machines are specifially made to have the LEDs in them and will perform better because of that. This is especially true of the machines like WOZ (and STLE?) that have the RGB changing bulbs programmed in. I've got 7 machines at my house and all are different years/manufacturers, and all act differently with LEDs. My NGG doesn't strobe at all with full LEDs, yet my newer LEDed Stern Spiderman does. I can't put LEDs in the post lights on my Jurassic Park because they either constantly strobe or don't work, yet the same bulbs work absolutely great in the inserts. LEDs work great in my older EM Twin Win. On my Frankenstein, it depends on the bulb manufacturer and if it is polarized or not. I think it has less to do with the bulb itself and more to do with the inner guts of the machine.

#3 10 years ago

You should have no problem putting LEDs in Demo Man, using any vendors here to receive good results.
    There are bulbs for Ghosting, and bulbs for flickering. There are boards there can be added to smooth out these issues using regular bulbs. There are great ways to increase the brightness, and personalize your game.

Strobing can be game to game sometimes, due to voltage issues through the power supply board, through the wiring, and through and to the socket. It can happen, but you cant tell until you try.

Your own personal eyes and the ambient lighting can affect strobing.

Certainly worth doing, as in many cases with even sensitive eyes, and/or changing a socket, your game will
    get a great face lift!

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to play around a bit. Sounds like fun to me

#5 10 years ago

It is kind of the adult version of a Light Bright. Have fun.

#6 10 years ago

The LED OCD board fixes the strobing and allows you to lower the brightness of each insert. Combined with the smooth pulsing effect it gives the LEDs, it makes them look inoffensive and natural:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

You won't be able to use it with newer Stern games that come with their custom LED hardware, but that's only a handful of games at this point.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

It is kind of the adult version of a Light Bright. Have fun.

lmao.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wobblychairs:

I've always steered clear of LED's because of the strobe effect when tracking the ball across the playfield. However; after playing a couple of the new Stern machines that are blinged out with LED's, I realized that they don't seem to have this issue. Is Stern using a certain type of LED that reduces this effect? I have a DM that I would love to put LED's in, but I'm afraid I won't be able to stand the strobing effect.

Stern's not doing anything special. Their GI is Cointaker 2-LED bulbs.

#9 10 years ago

Do you think it would be worth it to buy Cointaker premium?

#10 10 years ago

Yes cointaker premium 2 non ghosting LEDs are awesome. I have them in my ACDC pro inserts and they are kick ass!

#11 10 years ago

Only for inserts. Don't need them for GI.

#12 10 years ago

Why is that? And what would you suggest for GI?

#13 10 years ago

Why is that? And what would you suggest for GI?

GI doesn't ghost like inserts, so you don't need Premium. Stern uses CT 2-LED for GI. I use the same in my other games that I convert to LED.

Sorry, they call them "Double LED"
    http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=95ECDB95AF250911AC7299D10C3048D8.m1plqscsfapp01?categoryId=136

3 weeks later
    #14 10 years ago

Anyone making the replacement led boards for new Sterns yet?

I found the Metallica set from pinbits but those colors dont work that well for the villain inserts on xmen.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.