8E4E4226-6634-4ED2-BE47-D4AFFB4B7F8A (resized).jpeg
FB848D4B-47E4-499C-8E2A-A0E60845D49A (resized).png
e555a8fc30325c26f5b730b97db1ea07a9d2035c.jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_010535 (resized).jpg
09D34618-0B5B-4D17-8916-0DECCDB34EF8 (resized).jpeg
144507723_1638070369734659_3285423680167083681_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210130-152600_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
543CBCB3-D0FD-4930-A199-0D519BDA7009 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 42.
#1401 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Since it's a pretty common complaint, it must be their system.
There is clearly a difference in flipper strength/response between JJP and every other manufacturer.

I just explained why this "common complaint so it must be true" thing is extremely flawed in general, but especially when it comes to hyper emotional pinballers... as usual it is hard to convince someone when they have decided to make up their mind on it. I am open to other evidence, but my JJP games seem fine. If anything, my JP flippers are overpowered even after dialing them down. Maybe some people are only satisfied when the flippers are so strong that airballs are the norm? Explains the cratered playfields more...

#1402 3 years ago

I've owned a bunch of Sterns and all of the JJP games. What I've discovered over the years on JJP games is that it takes (at least for me) quite a while to fully understand the code since their usually so deep. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but its a fact. It took me quite a while to understand POTC, and Wonka. After u understand the code games get more immersive. Stern has great designers (most of them), and programmers. JJP basically has Eric, and Lawlor with the same team that codes all the games. Stern puts out 10 times more games than JJP, and that comes with a price. Typically that price is the code is very under developed and it could take years to fine tune. JJP puts out games with far more developed code since clearly the programmers have a lot more time to focus on the game. If u like LZ you'll probably enjoy the game. If u like GNR you'll probably enjoy the game. If u like both equally than its really not a fair fight as the attention to detail on GNR is off the charts so much so that Stern has ZERO chance at competing especially if your comparing Sterns LE to JJP's LE.

#1403 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

BKSOR is fun as hell-I want one!

You can buy my LE... I am selling it to fund my GnR LE

#1404 3 years ago

OK now I've played both. (Zep Pro)

Zep shoots well, very fast returns and flow. Ritchie game after all! But yes, it's very stripped down though not as empty feeling as BK3 Pro. Along with the fake kickback there isn't even a "ball hold pause" for the Zeppelin virtual lock. It just races through.

Unlike other Richie games missed shots are fairly forgiving, probably because most of the stuff is far back on the PF. It's also very Star Trekky where the modes are just "shoot colored arrows". Also the upper flipper is almost entirely pointless, all it does is shoot into an TAF like "train wreck" shot. LCD work is also pretty meh.

Music isn't really "pinball-Y" Whine about a McCartney remake all you want but it's better than the 2 minute bridge of "Whole Lotta Love" which makes the game feel dead for half the song. It's cool how you can change songs per ball but weird how they don't stop playing even after a drain until you choose change them.

So yes, it shoots smoother than GNR. Every other aspect, GNR by a country mile.

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I know how to tweak and rebuild flippers. Since it's a pretty common complaint, it must be their system.
There is clearly a difference in flipper strength/response between JJP and every other manufacturer.

Another explanation (for it being "common") is many people don't know how to dial-in their flippers. My DILE flippers are incredibly strong...and they are on the default settings.

#1406 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Another explanation (for it being "common") is many people don't know how to dial-in their flippers. My DILE flippers are incredibly strong...and they are on the default settings.

I've never really noticed weak flippers on any of my JJP games. I've tweaked the mechs a few times, but by no means have they ever felt weak.

#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So yes, it shoots smoother than GNR

So the stripped down Pro LZ plays better than the expensive Standard and LE/CE? Wow I can't wait to see what you think about the Premium/LE gameplay. It should take it to the next level-SUUUUUUUUUUUPER SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNER!

#1408 3 years ago

From Pinsider SW Fan:

When they were both released, I thought GnR blew it away. But now that I’ve played GnR, I’m thinking LZ is going to be the winner in the end.

#1409 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

From Pinsider SW Fan:
When they were both released, I thought GnR blew it away. But now that I’ve played GnR, I’m thinking LZ is going to be the winner in the end.

Coffee came out my nose just now. You are funny little guy. LMAO.

#1410 3 years ago

From Pinsider Mark1971:

I don't want to argue but here is my take. Led Zeppelin is without a doubt the greatest band of all time for many reasons but i will make it simple. Zeppelin is the only band that has all 4 members considered the best or among the best ever, no other band has even 2 that I know of. Best drummer to ever live is John Bonham he is number 1 according to Rolling Stone Mag. The others band members are all near the top and all were voted there by their piers, so this is not just an opinion from a fan its the opinion cast by other bands, music greats ,producers ect ect. look it up for yourself, I was born in 1971 the year stairway to heaven came out and 49 years later everybody still knows that song. I bought an LE and It looks great to me personally, I love the art on all three machines and think SR did a great job. so if anyone disagrees no worries now name a band that is has all members rated higher. happy new year

#1411 3 years ago

Wow the people are starting to speak up and see the light

PinKoph:

I have to say, looking on the positive side, I actually love the way they've taken an iconic, simple pinball feature, the classic spinner - and made it the star of the show on the Prem/LE.

That opto spinner (love that it is an opto spinner for super rips!) raising and lowering from the Playfield, the absolutely sweet sound and light effects that build/charge up, together with a magnet for locks/captive ball look to have yielded a fantastic implementation and celebration of the spinner. In all seriousness I think that looks awesome, and I applaud the move.

#1412 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

From Pinsider Mark1971:
I don't want to argue but here is my take. Led Zeppelin is without a doubt the greatest band of all time for many reasons but i will make it simple. Zeppelin is the only band that has all 4 members considered the best or among the best ever, no other band has even 2 that I know of. Best drummer to ever live is John Bonham he is number 1 according to Rolling Stone Mag. The others band members are all near the top and all were voted there by their piers, so this is not just an opinion from a fan its the opinion cast by other bands, music greats ,producers ect ect. look it up for yourself, I was born in 1971 the year stairway to heaven came out and 49 years later everybody still knows that song. I bought an LE and It looks great to me personally, I love the art on all three machines and think SR did a great job. so if anyone disagrees no worries now name a band that is has all members rated higher. happy new year

So Mark1971 obviously loves the band, big f-ing deal! Me too! What does that have to do with the game? You are losing it...

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

loves the band

snaroff you know you want a LZ-it is just a matter of time before you cave. I am working on getting you over to team LZ.

#1414 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So Mark1971 obviously loves the band, big f-ing deal! Me too! What does that have to do with the game? You are losing it...

There is no hope for the boy, he knows GNR kicked its ass down the street but he keeps coming back to get punched in the face. I love it.

#1415 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

knows GNR kicked its ass down the street

You will for sure go down as the official GNR Cheerleader for Pinside. The amount of hype you spew out of your mouth without even owning your collector game yet is humorous. I wonder how long you will try and hold out? You trade your games like baseball cards-so I give it a year before you decide to get off the hype train and dump it.

I like this song-it is catchy

#1416 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You will for sure go down as the official GNR Cheerleader for Pinside. The amount of hype you spew out of your mouth without even owning your collector game yet is humorous. I wonder how long you will try and hold out? You trade your games like baseball cards-so I give it a year before you decide to get off the hype train and dump it.

Listen little boy. If you like Zizzles that’s your problem not ours. Trades. You are stupid as crap. I have had most of my collection of same games for 5-10 years. Your just flat out ignorant. Have you played your Zizzle LZ?

#1417 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have had most of my collection of same games for 5-10 years

You seem to post in the 'What machine did you pick up today' thread a lot. Are you just a flipper? Do you like to flip turds on the side? Show me that 10 year old collection

#1418 3 years ago

Zep shoots smoother than GNR because it's mostly empty and the deep shots help the ball make smooth fast returns. This isn't to say GNR shoots badly, it doesn't, just that with more stuff you know IN THE GAME the ball has less freedom.

Other than that, the only advantage Zep vs GNR has is Stern can make them faster.

#1419 3 years ago

Ramps&Loops Loops&Ramp faster faster faster oh spinner the best spinner ever created spinner faster faster faster!!!

#1420 3 years ago

Come on Ben you can just say more crap-it is ok

#1421 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Meanwhile Pinmister cheerleading for Stern
68260A21-4DCC-4E65-B75C-6CBCE04F38FD (resized).jpeg68260A21-4DCC-4E65-B75C-6CBCE04F38FD (resized).jpeg

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

cheerleading for Stern

BURN!

BURN!.gifBURN!.gif
#1423 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

From Pinsider Mark1971: Led Zeppelin is without a doubt the greatest band of all time

This isnt correct. Beatles is the greatest band of all time. By a land-slide.
If you include bandmembers individual success it gets even worse.
Beatles simply destroy all competition and including bandmember success LZ is also easily passed by genesis and eagles.

#1424 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Zep shoots smoother than GNR because it's mostly empty and the deep shots help the ball make smooth fast returns. This isn't to say GNR shoots badly, it doesn't, just that with more stuff you know IN THE GAME the ball has less freedom.
Other than that, the only advantage Zep vs GNR has is Stern can make them faster.

You guys are funny... Ben Heck says the same thing I have said a few times and you all upvote because its him saying it.

My suggestion for JJP is to stop worrying about stuffing every available inch of the game with crap and make a fast fun playing game. If any game should be a ripper fast shooter it should be their first rock pin.... it aint.

Oh and stop trying to blind me every time something happens in the games.

I'd like to buy the next one.. problem is if its Toy Story you just know that will be full to the tits with toys and other crap.

#1425 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Thanks for confirming, but plainly obvious based on the released videos.

LZ fans seem to be in denial. Cracks me up that people still criticize Beatles for being too stark/expensive...the same people who aren't able to admit that LZ is pretty darn stark. Beatles is an inspired game...drawing on a past design and taking it to the next level was a gamble that paid off...maybe not for Stern, but for Beatles and pinball fans. As someone that digs the 80's games, having an 80's inspired and modernized game was fresh. Something different. Maybe LZ has something "fresh", but I'm not seeing yet. The BOM certainly doesn't make a game, but the aesthetics of GNR are awesome. Look forward to playing it.

#1426 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You guys are funny... Ben Heck says the same thing I have said a few times and you all upvote because its him saying it.

Maybe because Ben Heck is a respected member of the community AND pinball designer? You just showed up and have a keyboard swagger that is kind of hard to stomach.

#1427 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Beatles is the greatest band of all time

Yes technically you are correct sir.

Wow GNR is all the way down to number 92 out of 100? Surprised they made the list? Technically it should not have made cut because duplicate votes?

I suspect after the honeymoon stage is over and people become un-hypnotized from the shiny lights GNR will settle on Pinside Top 100 around the same mark as the Rolling Stones Top 100-#92.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_100_Greatest_Artists_of_All_Time

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Are you just a flipper? Do you like to flip turds on the side?

You like to give lots of thumbs downs, but do not like to reply?

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes technically you are correct sir.
Wow GNR is all the way down to number 92 out of 100? Surprised they made the list?
I suspect after the honeymoon stage is over and people become un-hypnotized from the shiny lights GNR will settle on Pinside Top 100 around the same mark as the Rolling Stones Top 100-#92.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_100_Greatest_Artists_of_All_Time

Both bands are great. Gnr more modern. The usual LZ mid-song lsd flash is probably puzzling and not so appriciated by a younger audience.

#1430 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Can or will JJP ever make a fast pin like a Stern, been wanting to see them do it. It appears to me from the pics (since I have not played) the GNR new game does not have that many packed stuff like past JJP games. If LZ plays like the Ritchie Star Trek (which is one of my favorites) I will enjoy even not being a huge LZ fan. I love Maiden and asked for it to get made for years, it’s fun and fast but too repetitive or middle of the game always being played with toys missing that I wanted more like the Metallica pin.

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Can or will JJP ever make a fast pin like a Stern,

Yes if they clear all the crap out of their playfield design, implement real responsive snappy flippers(cant fix sorry), and implement simple yet challenging rule-sets. It can be done-I am holding on to some faith

#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Maybe because Ben Heck is a respected member of the community AND pinball designer? You just showed up and have a keyboard swagger that is kind of hard to stomach.

I dont agree with everything you say therefore I am hard to stomach?

You just said the Beatles which may be the most disappointing game of the last decade is "inspired" so I guess we will agree to disagree here and there.

You can always ignore me if I annoy you by being honest.

Unlike most of the "GNR is the greatest of all time even though I have never played it" people I played it a bunch.

Its not that great of a player, if it was I would have one next to my other JJP game.

#1433 3 years ago

I dont agree with everything you say therefore I am hard to stomach?
You just said the Beatles which may be the most disappointing game of the last decade is "inspired" so I guess we will agree to disagree here and there.
You can always ignore me if I annoy you by being honest.
Unlike most of the "GNR is the greatest of all time even though I have never played it" people I played it a bunch.
Its not that great of a player, if it was I would have one next to my other JJP game.

Beatles is a shit ton of fun and if you can separate price from game play most would agree.

#1434 3 years ago

My suggestion for JJP is to stop worrying about stuffing every available inch of the game with crap and make a fast fun playing game. If any game should be a ripper fast shooter it should be their first rock pin.... it aint.
Oh and stop trying to blind me every time something happens in the games.
I'd like to buy the next one.. problem is if its Toy Story you just know that will be full to the tits with toys and other crap.

They need to figure out their flippers first, otherwise they'll never be fast.

Quoted from Psw757:

Beatles is a shit ton of fun and if you can separate price from game play most would agree.

Agreed, it's a fantastic game, probably the most played when people come over.

#1435 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I keep forgetting about all the future JJP owners. Like sands through the hourglass-waiting for your game. I wonder how many people commenting on GNR have actually gotten their game and actually played it yet? Only seems like a handful of people have gotten theirs?

I have mine and it's Amazing!!!!

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've never really noticed weak flippers on any of my JJP games. I've tweaked the mechs a few times, but by no means have they ever felt weak.

It's not that they are weak in power. They just sound different, and feel a lot slower. Not much "snap" into them like other flippers, especially new Sterns.

#1437 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Its fun if you like that style of game .... most modern players do not.

I dunno saying you want innovation etc and then fawning over an overpriced re-hash is a bit odd.

#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from Anubis330:

I have mine and it's Amazing!!!!

I think it is a great game for newbies or people with a larger collection-adds variety. I do see people with smaller collections getting it for the dazzle and then quickly learn the gameplay is so so and want something different. Time will tell-we have a ways to go for the honeymoon stage to wear off.

#1439 3 years ago

Its fun if you like that style of game .... most modern players do not.
I dunno saying you want innovation etc and then fawning over an overpriced re-hash is a bit odd.

Modern players?

I’m a player and enjoyer of all pinball and it’s nice to have a fast old school shooter in a collection.

#1440 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Modern players?
I’m a player and enjoyer of all pinball and it’s nice to have a fast old school shooter in a collection.

Its cool if you like it... I dont. thats life.

Same reason I rarely played pinball in the 70s and 80s. Didnt find the games fun until the 90s.

#1441 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think it is a great game for newbies or people with a larger collection-adds variety. I do see people with smaller collections getting it for the dazzle and then quickly learn the gameplay is so so and want something different. Time will tell-we have a ways to go for the honeymoon stage to wear off.

Damn Capt Stern you are having a breakdown!Fucking relax man it’s ok if some people like GnR.

#1442 3 years ago

Obviously LZ and GNR play differently. If you like open games with a lot of lateral ball movement than LZ is a good choice. It's an easier game too since you have oceans of time to nudge a missed shot towards a flipper.

But GNR is just a better package. The LCD work is better. The theme integration is better. The lightshow is amazing. The art is better (as in not atrocious)There's actually stuff in the game.

#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Damn Capt Stern you are having a breakdown

Dude I am just super bored-trolling is fun while drinking my coffee-Chillax broski

#1444 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Obviously LZ and GNR play differently. If you like open games with a lot of lateral ball movement than LZ is a good choice. It's an easier game too since you have oceans of time to nudge a missed shot towards a flipper.
But GNR is just a better package. The LCD work is better. The theme integration is better. The lightshow is amazing. The art is better (as in not atrocious)There's actually stuff in the game.

I agree 100%, wouldnt it be nice if JJP could combine the two and have a game with all the stuff that rocked to play also?

Its one or the other with them and has been since the clunkfest of WOZ.

You either get a good playing game with weaker theme and stuff (Dialed in, Wonka) or the exact opposite where all people talk about is lights and toys etc.

#1445 3 years ago

I agree 100%, wouldnt it be nice if JJP could combine the two and have a game with all the stuff that rocked to play also?
Its one or the other with them and has been since the clunkfest of WOZ.
You either get a good playing game with weaker theme and stuff (Dialed in, Wonka) or the exact opposite where all people talk about is lights and toys etc.

The good news is that you're just one dude. Lots of people like the gameplay and the themes of JJP. They sell games, and GnR was/is a smash hit.

I hate GnR (the band) more than most bands, and I generally don't like the look of the gameplay I've seen. That won't stop me from recognizing that I'm in the minority. If they keep doin' what they're doin', the only thing they have to worry about is an Elvis fan or two hating on them. Good place to be!

#1446 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

The good news is that you're just one dude. Lots of people like the gameplay and the themes of JJP. They sell games, and GnR was/is a smash hit.
I hate GnR (the band) more than most bands, and I generally don't like the look of the gameplay I've seen. That won't stop me from recognizing that I'm in the minority. If they keep doin' what they're doin', the only thing they have to worry about is an Elvis fan or two hating on them. Good place to be!

You guys are funny...

You cant say anything negative about GNR without getting piled on as a JJP hater.

In the same way people were disappointed in LZ art I was disappointed in GNRs game play.

Thats all.. I have owned a few of their games and have one still so how I am a JJP "hater" I have no idea.

Sorry that I actually played it before calling it game of the century unlike most of you.

#1447 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The LCD work is better. The theme integration is better. The lightshow is amazing. The art is better

So the LCD, Lightshow,and Art are better? You cannot play the LCD? You cannot play a lightshow? You cannot play Art?

Reminds me of Nigel-"Don't touch it-it cant be played!" LOL

#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

From Pinsider Mark1971:

Rolling Stones magazine has been irrelevant for decades now. Tommy Lee from Motley Crue is by far the greatest drummer ever to exist. and I'm very happy for you that you were able to make your own personal troll thread! Pathetic absolutely pathetic

#1449 3 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Tommy Lee from Motley Crue is by far the greatest drummer ever to exist

Your reputation and feedback was worthy-especially with your extensive knowledge of Philly Cheesesteaks, but after that comment I am not so sure?

#1450 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So the LCD, Lightshow,and Art are better? You cannot play the LCD? You cannot play a lightshow? You cannot play Art?
Reminds me of Nigel-"Don't touch it-it cant be played!" LOL

Its all part of the package/experience....Listen if u like ramps and basically nothing else to do in the game go for LZ....if u actually like a real pinball game buy GNR .... of course theres more flow in LZ since all there is ramps, a cheap spring toy, and a $5 blimp ....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-vs-jjp-guns-n-roses/page/29?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.