8E4E4226-6634-4ED2-BE47-D4AFFB4B7F8A (resized).jpeg
FB848D4B-47E4-499C-8E2A-A0E60845D49A (resized).png
e555a8fc30325c26f5b730b97db1ea07a9d2035c.jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_010535 (resized).jpg
09D34618-0B5B-4D17-8916-0DECCDB34EF8 (resized).jpeg
144507723_1638070369734659_3285423680167083681_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210130-152600_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
543CBCB3-D0FD-4930-A199-0D519BDA7009 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 42.
#651 3 years ago

These are both music themes and one thing a lot of people are overlooking is the sound system. The Stern SPIKE system sounds better than JJP. The CE does add a sound bar to the top and I haven't heard one yet. Sterns have three channel 2.1 sound and full range speaker directed at the player instead of pointing upward in the backbox. It simply sounds better, fuller and richer. Playing GnR LE and Avengers Premium side by side in a quiet room the difference is undeniable. This makes a big difference to me. I have a Beatles that is on loan in my game room and it sounds fantastic without even connecting the external sub. The Stern LEs get upgraded speakers and amp too.

So it comes down to what most of use knew would be the case. Basically JJP games look better, packed playfield and weigh more and Stern games have better shots and are more fun to play. JJP had Slash support and help which is awesome because they had a lot more leeway on both artwork a depth of license. Stern was handed a pre-selected bunch of artwork from which to chose and not to deviate. GnR looks like a world under glass with fancy guitar necks and drum sticks everywhere, but after playing many games the shots were just not really satisfying shots IMHO. LZ Premium and LE playfields are more open and fast looking with some awesome looking new ramp designs, SR upper flipper ramp a cool spinner toy. It is not for everyone, but obviously more of a player's game than GnR. It is not hard to see some Keith Elwin influence in this new Ritchie playfield design.

GnR is the best JJP game yet with an amazing looking playfield, but a theme that I can't put out money for other than location. Good for everyone who has one and enjoys it. To me this choice has always been a no brainer because I don't like GnR aside from maybe three songs. LZ is an all time favorite for me and I also much prefer the Steve Ritchie designs and the Stern platform and sound system. Value is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to pinball. I value fun and dream theme much more than I do a few extra coils or some drum sticks and mods that I can surely add later if I want. LZLE is still on order and I can't wait to get it!

#652 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

These are both music themes and one thing a lot of people are overlooking is the sound system. The Stern SPIKE system sounds better than JJP. The CE does add a sound bar to the top and I haven't heard one yet. Sterns have three channel 2.1 sound and full range speaker directed at the player instead of pointing upward in the backbox. It simply sounds better, fuller and richer. Playing GnR LE and Avengers Premium side by side in a quiet room the difference is undeniable. This makes a big difference to me. I have a Beatles that is on loan in my game room and it sounds fantastic without even connecting the external sub. The Stern LEs get upgraded speakers and amp too.
So it comes down to what most of use knew would be the case. Basically JJP games look better, packed playfield and weigh more and Stern games have better shots and are more fun to play. JJP had Slash support and help which is awesome because they had a lot more leeway on both artwork a depth of license. Stern was handed a pre-selected bunch of artwork from which to chose and not to deviate. GnR looks like a world under glass with fancy guitar necks and drum sticks everywhere, but after playing many games the shots were just not really satisfying shots IMHO. LZ Premium and LE playfields are more open and fast looking with some awesome looking new ramp designs, SR upper flipper ramp a cool spinner toy. It is not for everyone, but obviously more of a player's game than GnR. It is not hard to see some Keith Elwin influence in this new Ritchie playfield design.
GnR is the best JJP game yet with an amazing looking playfield, but a theme that I can't put out money for other than location. Good for everyone who has one and enjoys it. To me this choice has always been a no brainer because I don't like GnR aside from maybe three songs. LZ is an all time favorite for me and I also much prefer the Steve Ritchie designs and the Stern platform and sound system. Value is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to pinball. I value fun and dream theme much more than I do a few extra coils or some drum sticks and mods that I can surely add later if I want. LZLE is still on order and I can't wait to get it!

If I want to listen to Zeppelin I’ll crank up that big Yamaha and kick those sound waves out those sweet Polk Audio LSI speakers I assembled in my HT room.oh yeah on vinyl of course!

#653 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

"Basically JJP games look better, packed playfield and weigh more and Stern games have better shots and are more fun to play."

Your promotion to admiral of the 7th division of the Stern Army has been approved. Please send $50 for your LE promotion certificate. Also, please send $20 for a set of highly collectible Stern Circuit trading cards.

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Basically JJP games look better, packed playfield and weigh more and Stern games have better shots and are more fun to play."
Your promotion to admiral of the 7th division of the Stern Amry has been approved. Please send $50 for your LE promotion certificate. Also, please send $20 for a set of highly collectible Stern Circuit trading cards.

Weigh more? Is that a consideration now when buying?

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Weigh more? Is that a consideration now when buying?

For JJP fanbois it is.

#656 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Your promotion to admiral of the 7th division of the Stern Amry has been approved. Please send $50 for your LE promotion certificate. Also, please send $20 for a set of highly collectible Stern Circuit trading cards.

What’s the JJP equivalent?

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

So it comes down to what most of use knew would be the case. Basically JJP games look better, packed playfield and weigh more and Stern games have better shots and are more fun to play. JJP had Slash support and help which is awesome because they had a lot more leeway on both artwork a depth of license. Stern was handed a pre-selected bunch of artwork from which to chose and not to deviate. GnR looks like a world under glass with fancy guitar necks and drum sticks everywhere, but after playing many games the shots were just not really satisfying shots IMHO. LZ Premium and LE playfields are more open and fast looking..

IMHO ....this is like your opinion. This is not fact - this is your assessment and someone else’s assessment may be completely opposite.

I don’t care for either. With that said (& being a life long LE Stern buyer); Stern needs to step up to the plate on theme integration, meaningful toys (ex. not good —>static zeppelin), etc. The competition is moving past them. I know loyal buyers of Stern (including myself) that will hold the wallet closed for now till we see more. The money we are putting out for these games we need to see more besides “it’s a Stern with open playfield and it shoots fast”. If this is path lower the cost!

#658 3 years ago

NGG.

#659 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

The money we are putting out for these games we need to see more besides “it’s a Stern with open playfield and it shoots fast”. If this is path lower the cost!

It’s crazy imo the price for what you’re getting. I look at Iron Man VE it’s practically has as much stuff on the PF as a god damn LZ LE which costs twice as much. I realize there has been some inflation in the few years since Iron Man and the new Sterns have large displays and better sound but I’m thinking if Iron Man was released today it could pass for a premium.

#660 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

IMHO ....this is like your opinion. This is not fact - this is your assessment and someone else’s assessment may be completely opposite.

Exactly that is why I included IMHO in my statement about game play and fun. I try not to state opinions as facts. Those are my opinions and I have no problem if anyone disagrees. Now for the part about Stern games having better sound systems; that part is fact.

#661 3 years ago

Ok, in all fairness SW home pin weighs the least and costs less than both - has good theme, decent shots w real movie clips, multiple metal ramps, tie fighter toy, and three bank drops to boot!
No deep grail seeking code - sorry kids.

Seriously, want both pins but it’s wait and see for LZ. Happy holidays!!

#662 3 years ago

Wish LZ had more songs.. its a music pin.

#663 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

With that said (& being a life long LE Stern buyer); Stern needs to step up to the plate on theme integration, meaningful toys (ex. not good —>static zeppelin), etc. The competition is moving past them. I know loyal buyers of Stern (including myself) that will hold the wallet closed for now till we see more. The money we are putting out for these games we need to see more besides “it’s a Stern with open playfield and it shoots fast”. If this is path lower the cost!

That's the truth. These threads always always devolve into Nintendo vs. Sega crap, but I just want the best from everyone currently making pinball. The day before I was thinking, "if the LZ reveal blows the doors off, and I assume it will, which one do I really want next, LZ or GnR?" LZ is a dream theme many of us have been thinking about for years (every time I play The Hobbit I imagine it as a Led Zeppelin table), especially since its been in the works the last couple years, and it's a bit underwhelming just as a LCD Stern pinball, never mind even comparing it to the jam packed GnR. It's not terrible, and will hopefully/probably shoot well and be fun, but there's just no wow factor. There's nothing new about it. Doesn't mean it'll be a bad machine, it's just really not bringing the A game like they did on Jurassic Park, Maiden, Deadpool... I even consider Stranger Things more attractive as it may shoot like familiar games, but the novelty and features on ST make it quite unique, which to me is important.

#664 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Wish LZ had more songs.. its a music pin.

I agree with you, I was lucky with KISS, with just 10 songs and I like them all fortunately... on the other side from the 21 songs in JJP Guns N’Roses I like 13 of them, so lucky me again anyway

#665 3 years ago

GNR really is in another league. It’s unfair for it to even be in any vs. thread. Maybe Zep vs Maiden or Zep vs Aerosmith would be more appropriate. Apples vs apples - not apples vs steak and lobster.

#666 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

GNR really is in another league. It’s unfair for it to even be in any vs. thread. Maybe Zep vs Maiden or Zep vs Aerosmith would be more appropriate. Apples vs apples - not apples vs steak and lobster.

Couldn’t agree more

You were wrong about AIQ and Stern/Elwin have crushed it lately along with Elvira and yes ST

That said, GNR blows LZ away. Unfair competition

As bad as the art is in LZ the layout appears same old same and the theme integration is non existent

#667 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Couldn’t agree more
You were wrong about AIQ and Stern/Elwin have crushed it lately along with Elvira and yes ST
As bad as the art is in LZ the layout appears same old same and the theme integration is non existent

But Avengers is lame? New game is ummm
Undesirable

#668 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I much prefer Led Zeppelin to Guns N Roses as a band but in regards to a pinball machine , it's a round 1 knockout to Guns N Roses .

IMG_20201218_144147 (resized).jpgIMG_20201218_144147 (resized).jpg
#669 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Couldn’t agree more

Frankly I'd rather play Bonebusters

Super tired of Marvel crap

#670 3 years ago

This one made me laugh

It needs to be "Take me down to the multi-ball city where the balls are plenty and the lights are pretty"

Guns and Roses Multiball City.jpgGuns and Roses Multiball City.jpg

#671 3 years ago

Imagine if JJP did this.

ledzepgnr (resized).jpgledzepgnr (resized).jpg
#672 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Imagine if JJP did this.

Well, if you put it that way.... Holy S*$T

#673 3 years ago

Imagine if JJP did this.

I thought in the other LZ LE owners thread you were excited about possibly being able to get a LE?

Did you get the carpet yanked out from underneath you, and now just talking smack?

Are you buying a LZ LE? Can't be that bad

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This one made me laugh
It needs to be "Take me down to the multi-ball city where the balls are plenty and the lights are pretty"
[quoted image]

Keep laughing! LZ’s artwork is still the worst art since AC/DC pro Angus face edition.At least the cabinets and translite looked better then these new Zeppelins.

#675 3 years ago

Imagine if JJP did this.[quoted image]

That right there is a good example of why some modern contemporary art style wouldn’t fly with the retro vibe stern went with on LZ. It’s is intended to be in your face early to mid 70’s.

Old school art and color don’t work on 80’s/90’s GNR style.

Everyone is up in arms over the amount of Icarus pictures in the art I think 7 or 8.

How many f’ing skeleton or skeleton heads do I need to see on GNR?

I’m good with it though as it’s a major part of their images as is the Icarus and the Zeppelin.

Its a two way street folks

#676 3 years ago

Artwork GnR > LZ

#677 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Keep laughing! LZ’s artwork is still the worst art

I will repost this from another thread-knowledge is power and sometimes it is what it is. Can we get over Stern using contractually agreed upon art. Beating a dead horse here-time to move on

Copy post:

I really feel Stern's hands were tied on this one guys in regards to the art choices and the team had a handful of options to choose from-all being licensed Led Zeppelin albums. If you truly think about authenticity of the brand and franchise-the albums make sense. The bright blue rails on LE that everyone bashed were to represent water below Icarus in another world under the glass. What the heck is Icarus? Icarus is based on ancient Greek mythology. It refers to a youth who attempted to escape from Crete with wings of wax and feathers but flew so high that his wings melted from the heat of the sun, and he plunged to his death in the sea(those bright blue rails). The only thing to be mad at Stern about is not using a different cover within their contractual assets. (Not much to work with)

#678 3 years ago

Imagine if JJP did this.[quoted image]

For the ce they would have to go with the spaghetti incident. Baby blue legs ofc.

#679 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I will repost this from another thread-knowledge is power and sometimes it is what it is. Can we get over Stern using contractually agreed upon art. Beating a dead horse here-time to move on
Copy post:
I really feel Stern's hands were tied on this one guys in regards to the art choices and the team had a handful of options to choose from-all being licensed Led Zeppelin albums. If you truly think about authenticity of the brand and franchise-the albums make sense. The bright blue rails on LE that everyone bashed were to represent water below Icarus in another world under the glass. What the heck is Icarus? Icarus is based on ancient Greek mythology. It refers to a youth who attempted to escape from Crete with wings of wax and feathers but flew so high that his wings melted from the heat of the sun, and he plunged to his death in the sea(those bright blue rails). The only thing to be mad at Stern about is not using a different cover within their contractual assets. (Not much to work with)

The problem with pinside is many don’t want any knowledge but rather just bathe in their self righteousness.

#680 3 years ago

I realize the restraints the property holders placed on them,but like some many art knowledgeable folks have already stated here they did a crap job using what was given them to work with!

#681 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

don’t want any knowledge

I had an afterthought the other night of -"Why am I trying so hard for people to try and see the light?" I guess I am just passionate. Sometimes I feel like "Can you get a horse to water?" Yes-but can you make him drink?

#682 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I had an afterthought the other night of -"Why am I trying so hard for people to try and see the light?" I guess I am just passionate. Sometimes I feel like "Can you get a horse to water?" Yes-but can you make him drink?

You sir are correct, sometimes the answer is no! Lol

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I thought in the other LZ LE owners thread you were excited about possibly being able to get a LE?
Did you get the carpet yanked out from underneath you, and now just talking smack?
Are you buying a LZ LE? Can't be that bad

No, I have a "spot". Distributor hasn't asked for first payment yet, but I almost don't want them to come back to me, because then I'd have to make a decision.

Zep is my favorite band of all time, but man, this is just complete laziness. If the code is good and it plays well, I'm thinking Premium w/armor is the way to go. Yeah that's uninspired too, but it is iconic.

The LE package is boring and too bright for Zep, nevermind the out-of-place armor. I'm interesting in seeing how it shoots tonight though.

Everyone was thinking "hey what SHOULD LZ's art package be" and I just thought I'd reverse it. JJP would've been killed.

#684 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You are right, you probably cant make him drink, atleast aslong as what you serving is piss, instead of water.

#685 3 years ago

No, I have a "spot".

Well if you are not excited about it I guess move on-but no need to bash for attention on one thread and glamour on another.

BTW-I will take your spot and use it for trade bait

#686 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

You are right, you probably cant make him drink, atleast aslong as what you serving is piss, instead of water.

Different strokes for different folks, I see it aged 50 years like a fine wine.

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Different strokes for different folks, I see it aged 50 years like a fine wine.

Totally agree. If you like the art, the gameplay and think stern did an excellent job representing led zeppelin with this pin.
Congrats.

#688 3 years ago

One thing they have in common.... Sh*t playfields

IMG_20201218_103635 (resized).pngIMG_20201218_103635 (resized).png
#689 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That right there is a good example of why some modern contemporary art style wouldn’t fly with the retro vibe stern went with on LZ. It’s is intended to be in your face early to mid 70’s.
Old school art and color don’t work on 80’s/90’s GNR style.
Everyone is up in arms over the amount of Icarus pictures in the art I think 7 or 8.
How many f’ing skeleton or skeleton heads do I need to see on GNR?
I’m good with it though as it’s a major part of their images as is the Icarus and the Zeppelin.
Its a two way street folks

Too many icarus is easy fix. Im looking for something to replace jumper and pop bumpers caps. Im sure some of these great mod builders will have stuff soon after release

#690 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Too many icarus is easy fix. Im looking for something to replace jumper and pop bumpers caps. Im sure some of these great mod builders will have stuff soon after release

Would have been cool to have 4 pops one for each member and symbol or better yet make them all Bonham’s kit with a hurry up mode with the Moby Dick drum solo. Would have been too easy!

#691 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Let me know what you come up with

#692 3 years ago

Wow now that we have seen actual gameplay of LZ -it looks badass! Sorry haters but Zeppelin looks like a winner to me, can't wait to play it

#693 3 years ago

LZ gameplay reveal makes the premium / LE seem like a lot of fun...for about $6k, not $7500 - $9k+. There is sadly very little in the game in terms of physical features, molds, and toys. How in the world is a virtual ball save that is lit by two stand up targets (not even drop targets) now a feature? Toss a physical kickback in the game, change some of the stand up targets to drop targets, and add three magnets in the game for use during Electric Magic multiball. That would help to justify the price tag.

#694 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I realize the restraints the property holders placed on them,but like some many art knowledgeable folks have already stated here they did a crap job using what was given them to work with!

"art knowledgeable folks" Only on Pinside!

#695 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well if you are not excited about it I guess move on-but no need to bash for attention on one thread and glamour on another.
BTW-I will take your spot and use it for trade bait

You created this thread for a debate, and clearly you are on the LZ side that lost. So asking a person who rooted for the team that won to move on is not a good look for you

#696 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

You created this thread for a debate, and clearly you are on the LZ side that lost. So asking a person who rooted for the team that won to move on is not a good look for you

How did one side lose? It's an opinion!

#697 3 years ago

True. For the most part it’s an opinion. If you like LZ & don’t care for GNR you are gonna lean on LZ. But when it comes to the pin and what was put into it, this just isn’t an opinion or debate, GNR just crushed LZ. Here is the PFs, you tell me who put in the effort and who mailed it in?

2C3F61B7-9249-435E-AB4C-3BD331B150F8 (resized).jpeg2C3F61B7-9249-435E-AB4C-3BD331B150F8 (resized).jpegFC5ACD2F-7C22-4430-B3AF-B06E9FC7C3F3 (resized).jpegFC5ACD2F-7C22-4430-B3AF-B06E9FC7C3F3 (resized).jpeg
#698 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow now that we have seen actual gameplay of LZ -it looks badass! Sorry haters but Zeppelin looks like a winner to me, can't wait to play it

You really think its badass? From what little I could see it looks pretty underwhelming to me although it was challenging to get the entire game experience with their shitty Facebook stream. Stern usually puts out really fun games, and I'm certain this one will be no different. That being said this is a Zep vs GNR thread, and from I could see Zep isnt in the same league as GNR....

#699 3 years ago

But I actually think LZ looks like more fun to play than GNR...and isn't that what pinball's about? That's the problem with Pinside...an overreliance on amount of toys and artwork. I'll take empty and ugly with awesome gameplay any day of the week. AFM is the perfect example of this - that cabinet is simple as shit and has an empty (and ugly IMO) playfield, but one of the greatest games ever.

#700 3 years ago

But 10 LZ songs vs 20+ GNR

If you are an LZ fan you gotta be pist at this

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Danbury, CT
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-vs-jjp-guns-n-roses/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.