8E4E4226-6634-4ED2-BE47-D4AFFB4B7F8A (resized).jpeg
FB848D4B-47E4-499C-8E2A-A0E60845D49A (resized).png
e555a8fc30325c26f5b730b97db1ea07a9d2035c.jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_010535 (resized).jpg
09D34618-0B5B-4D17-8916-0DECCDB34EF8 (resized).jpeg
144507723_1638070369734659_3285423680167083681_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210130-152600_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
543CBCB3-D0FD-4930-A199-0D519BDA7009 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 42.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm sorry...but I've heard the same thing with GOT, SW, and STh...and all three have turned out to be incredibly fun games. It's not a reskin like the Beatles was (and that looked like an Easter basket to me) and this looks like it could be a really fun game. Too early to judge...but that's Pinside.

No reason to apologize as I'm not saying it won't end up being a really fun game. My point was the license was clearly limited, which is typical in the Stern model, and clearly they put very little effort into the art package (which normally I could give two shits about).

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm sorry...but I've heard the same thing with GOT, SW, and STh...and all three have turned out to be incredibly fun games. It's not a reskin like the Beatles was (and that looked like an Easter basket to me) and this looks like it could be a really fun game. Too early to judge...but that's Pinside.

I am with you. I want to wait until I have played both and make up my mind then. I am already fairly sure that both games will be great and fun to shoot.

#603 3 years ago

Have to agree with Ptown on this one. Neither LZ nor any other pin can really compete with GNR because the artist was involved in creating the game. Imagine if Sigourney Weaver made Alien her own project. Probably not fair to compare LZ, or any other Stern, with GNR. Or POTC. Or WW

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Awesome that you can determine that with no gameplay at all. I'm jealous.

Back off man! He's a Doctor!

#605 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Have to agree with Ptown on this one. Neither LZ nor any other pin can really compete with GNR because the artist was involved in creating the game. Imagine if Sigourney Weaver made Alien her own project. Probably not fair to compare LZ, or any other Stern, with GNR. Or POTC. Or WW

Certainly shows in the art and bling. But that doesn't have much bearing on how the game plays. It's like saying you're sure glad Pat Lawlor helped GnR write those awesome songs.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Its clear that JJP lucked out with GNR. Having the owners of the assets so heavily motivated to make a great pin is not the norm. My guess is it may not ever happen again. That doesn't mean that LZ won't be a fun pin, but GNR probably has the greatest theme integration we'll ever see in a pinball game.

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Certainly shows in the art and bling. But that doesn't have much bearing on how the game plays. It's like saying you're sure glad Pat Lawlor helped GnR write those awesome songs.

Certainly doesn't make it a great game, but if u like the band it certainly helps. The theme integration on GNR is incredible so much so I highly doubt you'll see another game on the same level. That being said if u don't like the band u may not like the game. I liked IMDN game play, but hated the music so it didn't last long in my collection.

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its clear that JJP lucked out with GNR. Having the owners of the assets so heavily motivated to make a great pin is not the norm. My guess is it may not ever happen again. That doesn't mean that LZ won't be a fun pin, but GNR probably has the greatest theme integration we'll ever see in a pinball game.

Still no idea why they went with old fat GnR concert footage though.

#609 3 years ago

I's guessing it was easy to get permission from the current band members. And impossible for the various other line-ups since the 80s.

#610 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Still no idea why they went with old fat GnR concert footage though.

I hear ya, but it was all about their latest tour .... how Stern didn't include Stairway to heaven as their final wizard mode is beyond me. My guess is they didn't want to pay the license fee.

#611 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I hear ya, but it was all about their latest tour .... how Stern didn't include Stairway to heaven as their final wizard mode is beyond me. My guess is they didn't want to pay the license fee.

I’m telling you after listening to Tim’s podcast last night and the stern insider podcast I think they have a trick up their sleeve for the ? Wizard mode.

He basically says they have well over 50 minutes of music in the game, add up the 10 and it comes to 45 minutes and change. I’m remaining optimistic. If and it’s a big if there is something there I think it would be in the form of clips to create a medley since it’s concert based.

Tim mentions lights synced to Bonham’s big drum solo, well that song (the ocean) isn’t one of the 10 unless there is another that doesn’t come to mind.

Either way I’m happy with what I see so far.

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Both games are going to be legendary. Sure LZ is getting lots of hate for the art, but that is a typical Stern failing. This game is gonna be fun as all hell. And I for one never need to hear Stairway again or Free Bird for that matter. Glad they left both off the machine. (Yeah I know LS wouldn't be on an LZ machine, but PM&W is on the GnR.)

I don’t mean to seem like I’m correcting you but I think GnR own Live and let die!

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t mean to seem like I’m correcting you but I think GnR own Live and let die!

Since Paul McCartney is both the greatest songwriter and performer over the past half century plus, GNR "owning" Live and Let Die would be impossible.

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Could be... I do play the things and not just mod them and rub them with a diaper once a week.
The freakout over the art just shows how many people buy these as a trophy and dont actually play them.
Same people that put up their machine for sale they bought NIB a year ago and it only has 25 plays.
Not sure what they do... turn it on stare at the lights and turn it back off?

You keep saying that all JJP pins are just a box of lights and pretty shiny things.This makes your argument weak because it’s simply not even close to the truth!Their games have plenty of variety and depth.If you like Sterns which you clearly do just buy the LZ and I’ll enjoy my GnR when I get it.

#615 3 years ago

How does GNR own Live and Let Die when Eric and Slash himself had to literally call Paul and the licensor to get permission to allow it when the licensor initially shot JJP down?

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Do you all remember when DI was shown at Expo by JJP? Half the room got up and walked out.

Not half, but the funniest person to walk out was Gary Stern. Just strode up the aisle and out the doors while Pat was still talking.

#617 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How does GNR own Live and Let Die when Eric and Slash himself had to literally call Paul and the licensor to get permission to allow it when the licensor initially shot JJP down?

I was bullshitting I was really meaning their rendition of the song is so good who even wants to hear Macartney sing it.The song was first used in the Bond movie of the same name

#618 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Imagine if Sigourney Weaver made Alien her own project.

If Sigourney had been personally involved and invested in making Alien that would have been amazing.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Certainly shows in the art and bling. But that doesn't have much bearing on how the game plays.

Maybe not directly, sure, but I do think it matters. Everyone wants to do their best work when it's a big involved effort like that. And when the art is hitting and the assets are there and everyone is excited about ideas and it feels like there are no limits? I think that makes for a better game making experience that shows in the end too.

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I was bullshitting I was really meaning their rendition of the song is so good who even wants to hear Macartney sing it.The song was first used in the Bond movie of the same name

Lol...yeah GNR does it good and great Bond movie. If you’ve never seen Paul perform Live and Let Die live, I’m sure there is a video on YouTube. Paul definitely likes his Pyro!

#620 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

and clearly they put very little effort into the art package

Not true. The licensor has heavy influence on this too. There was something like 14-15 rejections of the SW playfield before it was approved by Disney. Assume the licensor directed, if not heavily scrutinized what the games art looked like.

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not true. The licensor has heavy influence on this too. There was something like 14-15 rejections of the SW playfield before it was approved by Disney. Assume the licensor directed, if not heavily scrutinized what the games art looked like.

REALLY you must be looking at a different art package. It might be up there with the worst I've ever seen on a modern game. That LE package is a total joke, and I NEVER said they didn't have an influence on the game. JJP's GNR is in an entirely different league when it comes to theme integration.... Its not even close

#622 3 years ago

Did you even read what I wrote? Haha. You said stern phoned it in. I’m saying stern probably didn’t have much of a choice. How is that me saying I think the artwork is great? (Even though I do like the Pro and Prem cabinets and backglasses)

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the artwork is great

OMG, you said it!!!

I can't wait to play ANY of the games that were released this past year, especially GNR and LZ.

Looking forward to the stream Friday

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Quoted from Psw757:

Lol...yeah GNR does it good and great Bond movie. If you’ve never seen Paul perform Live and Let Die live, I’m sure there is a video on YouTube. Paul definitely likes his Pyro!

Quoted from Psw757:

I saw Paul on his Trip the light fantastic tour at Market Square Arena Feb 1990!It was a magical concert they played Beatles 1964 to Paul’s current Pieces of Eight.But the night GnR ripped into the song on a MTV award show I was blown away!

#625 3 years ago

Stern & JJP secretly watch and laugh at these threads cuz they printing money no matter what is said here
4CDAFEAA-8AB0-4C09-A804-19D4CD18E03F.gif4CDAFEAA-8AB0-4C09-A804-19D4CD18E03F.gif

#626 3 years ago

Based on art package alone, Led Zeppelin takes the "L"

Stern needed to think outside the box. I feel like this might be a Ritchie thing. My only knock on his AC/DC pin was the art package. When you have a band like Led Zeppelin that doesn't scream "ART" you have to make the art. Stern did a fantastic job with this in regards to Aerosmith and Metallica, and you can say Iron Madien as well. JJP also did a great job with GnR, as did Data East. You need to "cartoon" the band, and create art. The photoshop approach doesn't always work.

Based on lighting...Led Zeppelin takes the "L"

Can't compare lighting, just can't

Based on theme integration....Led Zeppelin takes the "L"

Guitar pick spinners, actual drum sticks and drum kit pop bumper, guitar head stocks, sculpted top hat, Gibson, Fender etc.

Based on cool factor...Led Zeppelin takes the "L"

Sorry, but this pin doesn't have that "it" factor, or something "cool" about it. You look at other music pins and AC/DC has the bell, and the cannon, Metallica has the tombstones, snake head, electric chair guy, Aerosmith has a cool chest ball lock and an elevator, Kiss has the Gene Simmons head sculpt where balls come out of his mouth, GnR has the guitar neck ball lock, and the fender bass habit trails....Led Zeppelin has....a pop up mech that reveals a spinner....a spinner? Has nothing to do with the band, and hitting a spinner isn't exactly my idea of cool factor

Based on play and code....To be determined.

So far not looking good for Led Zeppelin.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

Stern needed to think outside the box. I feel like this might be a Ritchie thing. My only knock on his AC/DC pin was the art package. When you have a band like Led Zeppelin that doesn't scream "ART" you have to make the art. Stern did a fantastic job with this in regards to Aerosmith and Metallica, and you can say Iron Madien as well. JJP also did a great job with GnR, as did Data East. You need to "cartoon" the band, and create art. The photoshop approach doesn't always work.
Guitar pick spinners, actual drum sticks and drum kit pop bumper, guitar head stocks, sculpted top hat, Gibson, Fender etc.
Sorry, but this pin doesn't have that "it" factor, or something "cool" about it. You look at other music pins and AC/DC has the bell, and the cannon, Metallica has the tombstones, snake head, electric chair guy, Aerosmith has a cool chest ball lock and an elevator, Kiss has the Gene Simmons head sculpt where balls come out of his mouth, GnR has the guitar neck ball lock, and the fender bass habit trails....Led Zeppelin has....a pop up mech that reveals a spinner....a spinner? Has nothing to do with the band, and hitting a spinner isn't exactly my idea of cool factor

Wrong! Sir Wrong!

Zeppelin has the if your very High and playing you may not care about anything factor.

Zep for the "W"

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Wrong! Sir Wrong!
Zeppelin has the if your very High and playing you may not care about anything factor.
Zep for the "W"

See, I agree, they could of taken that approach and created a psychedelic playfield, and Zeppelin wouldn't be a big loser on the art package.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you even read what I wrote? Haha. You said stern phoned it in. I’m saying stern probably didn’t have much of a choice. How is that me saying I think the artwork is great? (Even though I do like the Pro and Prem cabinets and backglasses)

Come on man....of course they had a choice...its all about time and money....when comes to licensing Stern does the bare minimum (they can get away with it)...so yea Stern phoned it in

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Wrong! Sir Wrong!
Zep for the "W"

Good lord....its not even a close race....GNR by miles, and thats without seeing LZ's game play

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

hitting a spinner isn't exactly my idea of cool factor

It's pinball... spinners will always be cool.

Sorry it's not a toy overload for some. And sorry it's soooo uncool.

I'm just looking for a good shooter with some good rules.

Zeppelin music won't hurt, either. They're no Sabbath, but i'll take it.

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

Sounds just like Kaneda podcast review

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Sounds just like Kaneda podcast review

Sounds like a good podcast!

#634 3 years ago

Those that have played GNR a decent amount will understand this. GNR builds up to “moments” better than any pinball machine. I like the fact that you don’t start in a song. You build your song up, assemble your band, and work up to a huge moment. A huge payoff. That anticipation combined with the assets, light show and choreography make it an outstanding game.

No one here knows how LZ shoots or much about the code apart from the Timmy interview. I bet it shoots pretty darn good with a SR layout. Not sure about the code. Tim describes some confusing scenarios during that interview.

Both games can be good, but I have a hard time seeing a scenario where an average buyer can proclaim the entire package of LZ is superior. LZ fans will always prefer LZ. GNR fans will always prefer it. It’s the rest that will really decide.

#635 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

It's pinball... spinners will always be cool.
Sorry it's not a toy overload for some. And sorry it's soooo uncool.
I'm just looking for a good shooter with some good rules.
Zeppelin music won't hurt, either. They're no Sabbath, but i'll take it.

I'm just giving my assessment with reasons why I believe GnR is better machine for me...personally. This is a Led vs. GnR thread afterall. Don't be sorry it's not a toy overload, or that its so uncool (IMO). Spinners are awesome to some, not for me. GnR has the best spinners on any music pin, so if it's spinner you like then GnR with another "W". It's awesome this pin speaks to you. It doesn't to me. I don't know who this pin is for, on location you have GnR next to Led Zeppelin, I don't think Led is going to attract too many coins. Love Zeppelin music, dislike the machine, I hate Metallica music and I love the machine. Looks like the game is just shooting at 3 ramps lined up next to each other along the back, that returns ball to flippers. I can see that getting quite old quick. But for some, that might be super fun.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I was bullshitting I was really meaning their rendition of the song is so good who even wants to hear Macartney sing it.

This is so full of shit.

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

GnR has the best spinners on any music pin, so if it's spinner you like then GnR with another "W".

Blackout and High Speed have the best spinners of any pinball machine, but those are probably too old and boring for you.

Not sure you even like pinball. You only like images and cool factors and whatever commercial pop culture overload that you so deperately need to make pinball machines less boring to you.

Never said any pin spoke to me, nor do I cheer for any side. I just dig pinball in general. Never hated on Gn'R either.

#638 3 years ago

Just got a blackout. Whoa baby those spinners are smooth!

#639 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

This is so full of shit.

Ok thank you for your opinion?

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Wrong! Sir Wrong!
Zep for the "W"

Good luck playing a modern Steve Ritchie pin high.

#641 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Woooooooah man...where did the ball go?

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

Woooooooah man...where did the ball go?

Exactly haha.
To be fair you won’t even press the start button if you play GNR high. “Whoa the lights, whoa the colors. Whoa...the lights and the colors.”

#643 3 years ago

Sometimes wish I was 20 again so I can just sit down and trip on GNR all night. Instead, I have to play it

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Worked lately for me.

#645 3 years ago

True statements. All my amazing games on GNR were without beers. It’s still fun with beers of course but good luck blowing the game up. Your reactions need to be so fast and dialed in. Nudging so critical.

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

True statements. All my amazing games on GNR were without beers. It’s still fun with beers of course but good luck blowing the game up. Your reactions need to be so fast and dialed in. Nudging so critical.

My best games ever are when I’m, what I call, “perfect drunk”

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My best games ever are when I’m, what I call, “perfect drunk”

Absolutely. But it’s a fine line. Once you cross it it’s all over.

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Absolutely. But it’s a fine line. Once you cross it it’s all over.

Hell no! That’s when the party has just begun. Haha

#649 3 years ago

Really starting to like the playfield colors definitely reminds me of the 70s!

It's like Austin Powers with better art.

Can't wait to have this Pro in my lineup right next to my Jukebox.

Art on Cabinet is what originally made me pull the trigger.

#650 3 years ago

Both games look like fun but its clear which game easily offers more value, that being GNR. Stern is not putting enough in their games, code, and build quality to justify these all time record high prices in my opinion.

If I won the lottery I would buy every new release and never question the price but sadly that isn't the case. As someone who buys maybe 1 new pin every year or two I want to buy a machine that offers the most value. Theres no doubt that Sterns are fun but fun alone doesn't justify a $6k - $9k+ price tag.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,078 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-vs-jjp-guns-n-roses/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.