E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 3 years ago

Ever since I got into this hobby (around 2005), I've heard collectors say LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN. The older collectors have always wanted this. Plus, it's Steve Ritchie & they love him. That being said, quite a few of the "old guard" aren't into NIB anymore due to price/quality. I get the feeling that the new NIBNEWB collectors won't be so into this title. I could be totally wrong. Anyway, while I love music games, I've never really cared about LZ...I'll be watching from the sidelines...curious to see how it shakes out.

#679 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I don't see a raising spinner being worth the extra cash to jump up to a premium. I wish it had Fool In The Rain though.

Is that all that mech is? A spinner? Is it also a lock or magnet?

#721 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I know this is the hype thread, but I'm super disappointed with the art. Especially the playfield. The cabinet art on the pro is decent and the premium seems borderline fake. The side art is decent though. Very curious to see more of the LCD screen in action later today.

Steve Ritchie games tend to drop the ball on art.

#786 3 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I agree. I was in on the LE but it’s art package is ugly as hell. I just wish you could get the pro art on the premium model.... i’ll probably end up with the premium because I really don’t like that art at all on the LE

The LE is the only one that’s cohesive. Pro & Prem look like homebrews.

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I just changed my LE order to a premium. Just couldn’t handle the color of the trim and the overall art package on LE. It’s really kind of bland and basic for an LE.

So you changed your order to the blandest cabinet/translite package ever made? Weird.

#846 3 years ago

Well, it’s the typical Ritchie reveal. Looks bare, art is horrible Photoshop drag & drop. Been there, done that, so not shocked. Elvis, 24, AC/DC (remember the FACE?), ST, GOT, SW....c’mon, that’s just how he rolls.

If I ever play it, I’ll prob think it’s super fun...maybe even great.

Who knows!

Enjoy Zep fans, hype-addict NIBNEWBS, & FOMO guinea pigs!!!

#857 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

It's a new pin for fuck sake! Try and have fun once in awhile

Potential $10k purchase. Potential buyers are allowed to express their first impressions and critique.

#877 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That's how Steve Ritchie games creep in, because they are good shooters. Everyone poo poo's at reveals only to see the light years later. Star Wars and GOT are prime examples of Steve's sleeper games. Watch out haters-the Ritchie bug could come back to bite you later-just sayin Damn that crow taste good

Sometimes true. I passed on AC/DC at reveal, but then bought a Prem after I played it. Even though Photoshop, there’s a level of visual cohesiveness to it. It’s inoffensive to the eyes. I enjoy GOT on location, but it’s got a visual level of lazy/ugly that makes me never want to buy or own it. Star Wars looks better now that there’s the comic book version, but I hate the rules. Complex math chess is the last thing I want on a fast Ritchie game.

Art on the Zep playfield isn’t bad. Inoffensive. However those Pro & Prem cabs. Woof. I’d never buy the games based on how lazy/ugly they look. Even if I think it’s fun, it won’t be LE-price fun. So, for me, this will purely be a location game...if locations still exist when we start going out again.

#880 3 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I gotta say, the Pro seems extremely barren, no mechs beyond the baseline at all, perhaps the most barren design since Rolling Stones. I imagine licensing ate up most of the money on this one?

Ritchie rarely does much in the way of mechs/toys. His “toys” are ramps/speed/combos/flow.

#898 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

obviously you are not a fan
[quoted image]

Album covers don't always make good pin art...but it's also the absolute stark contrast in styles between the playfield & cab. Totally different style, totally different logo. As an art package, they just flat out don't match.

#900 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I didn't think that the designer had that much say in the artwork, but considering the artwork that Ritchie pins have had over the years, I am starting to second guess that. Can it really be just coincidence that the artwork on his pins is almost always unspectacular?

It's under his direction. You can "blame the licensor", but you can still have an eye for detail & guide your artists to do something nice within licensor guidelines.

I once heard a story about Ritchie telling Borg he was nuts for using Dirty Donny for Metallica...no one would want that type of art on a MANLY METAL game....and that's why they did the Photoshop "Roadcase" Premium. Met paved the way for a new and exciting pinball art era for Stern...not sure why Steve never got on board.

#962 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's the 'youngest' band to get a pinball?

Does Scott Danesi count as a one-man band?

#1335 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I put this image in my latest video, but this goes to show you how much powder coating can really change the look of a game...
[quoted image]

The Blue one looks better than any of those. Not sure why people don’t think it works. There’s some blue on the backbox, and blue works with yellow & red.

#1525 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Spooky doesn't have JJP budgets, and the voice cast isn't as large at TNG, but yeah, I'd count it 100%. Everyone involved has gone more than the extra mile to make that game what it is.

Absolutely. Even just Justin Roiland alone...he does tons of voices in the game: Rick, Morty, Meeseeks, Mr. Poopy Butthole...prob a bunch of others. Dan Harmon is Bird Person & the Flu Hatin' Rapper. Even the non-cast voices fit PERFECTLY. Not sure who's doing Scary Terry, but he nailed it. I think Jack Danger or a Podcaster is the voice of the Roy mode...he does a great job. The game is loaded with personality, which is usually what gets lost in Stern's games of recent years.

#1620 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I never understood WTF that joker on top of the toy chest had anything to do with Aerosmith (perhaps you can enlighten me?).

It’s inspired by the song “Toys in the Attic”

1 week later
#2718 3 years ago

Just watched the Deadflip stream ....it’s uh, um....it’s a game.

For diehard Zep fans only, I think. It seems relatively soulless & bare without much in the way of satisfying interactions.

Just made me think of all the various satisfying things in AC/DC:
-Satisfying to lite the jukebox, whip the ball up the right side shot, slam the button to pick a new song.
-Satisfying to hit the train ramp & get a corresponding train sound...the bell for a “gong”, the explosion of the cannon and TNT, etc.
-Even tho hokey, the band dancing to the beat of whatever song your in makes the Multiball more alive and fun.
-Steve’s devil voice is funny & fits the game.
-The multiball start has a nice start up show (the crashing train) to get you pumped.

Zep seems like a satisfaction-free version of AC/DC. It doesn’t have any of that slick choreography synced to your play to make you feel good. Stern’s Rolling Stones seems to have more energy about it.

Lyman is the true king.

#2738 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Have you played lz yet? As your comparing it to a game most people own or have owned and definitely played in the last 8 years? If we're gonna do this comparison though let's also talk about the absolute flogging the acdc pro got for being stripped to shit at the time. Also acdc got blasted for being a T2 redo.

Of course I haven’t played it....but I know enough about pinball to know what I’m looking at when watching a stream, and of course I’m gonna compare it to other rock games. Should I just buy it I can play it & then tell your my impressions? I’m sure it’s fun to play. It just feels really sterile compared to another Ritchie rock game. It’s a fair point to make. It’s also fair to bring up that AC/DC had Lyman, this doesn’t. We don’t know if it’ll get better.

I’ve never understood the T2 comparison. They’re nothing alike in design, feel, play or rules.

#2743 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I do not think any pinball machine is shit. Time to find a different hobby if you feel like that.

This is a hobby, not a cult. If someone doesn’t like some games, they can still play pinball.

#2776 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

This really does remind me of Iron Man... that game got so much hate when it came out for all the same reasons (bad art, barren playfield blah blah)
Now its been vaulted and sold a ton.

Iron Man was about $4k. People were more forgiving at a price like that. Plus Lyman on code. Plus a non-divisive theme that everyone loves & super exciting high energy addicting gameplay.

Different time, different price, different context.

LZ will sell to Zep fans & Steve Ritchie hardcores. Not sure it has legs outside of that zone.

#2778 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Were you in the hobby when that came out?
Everyone hated it and thought it was absolute garbage.
Took a few years to get its audience.
people love it now but you couldnt give them away for a while.

Yes. I was one of the people telling people how crazy fun IM was despite the first impressions. I bought one in 2010 & the hobbyists at the time told me I was a piece of shit for enjoying/buying games like IM, Avatar & Tron.

It was a different time. Everyone wanted the next Bally/Williams, and games like IM are why Jack started JJP with a fully packed wide body.

It gained a following over time & actually led to the current tastes changing toward “less is Ok, less=faster”. Less can be more sometimes, but when the prices are so much higher, what’s in the game is as relevant as ever for a first impression.

#2780 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Its a music pin- music pins always sell and hold their value far greater than any other genre. Even Stern Rolling stones is fetching over 5k right now. The only exception that i can think of to this is Beatles Platinum edition (and thats because of failed distribution plan).
Regardless what anyone thinks of LZ -it will sell well and become a highly sought after pin once it goes out of production.

I’m not saying it’ll be a flop - I’m predicting that it will sell “well enough” to its target audience, but it won’t be the phenomenon that AC/DC & Metallica were...and that’s fine. It keeps the factory churning until the next game hype.

#2783 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The vaults were not 4k

Wasn’t talking about the vaults. Still, I bought a Vault - I think it was 5200 or 5300? When a $5k game looks like it has more cool stuff than a $9k LE, it’s not “bad” “mean” “toxic” or “negative” to make comparisons.

#2785 3 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Exactly this. If it doesn't go big like AC/DC or Met, it will still sell enough. Stern is already backlogged on runs of 4-5 different pins, I think? I get surprised that they keep releasing new titles when there is still so much demand for JP, AIQ, EHoH, etc...I think they're even having to run DP again?

This is the brilliance of Stern’s marketing & ability to run a factory. It doesn’t matter if a new game is a massive hit or not anymore. Back in the day if CSI or 24 or NBA flopped, they’d teeter on closing shop. Now, they’re pretty much guaranteed an LE sellout up front. 500 LE sales is ~$4.5 Mil in sales...and - they always have a catalog of 6-8 titles for sale at any given time. Those titles all had their LE sellouts, so all Pros/Prems they’re making right now from those games is gravy.

#2794 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

You're continually contradicting yourself... which is fine I do it too, but given you have a LOT to say on this hype thread about the game it would be fair to assume you may have somehow played it. It was a legit question.

I didn’t have that much to say. I watched the stream and gave my first impressions.

Quoted from John1210:

You initially made comparisons to much older games, then when it fits your response you say you can't compare it to games from a different time period. Make up your mind which is it?

I wasn’t trying to be contradictory. I get your point that previous games that were judged harshly early on became big hits, and I should reserve that possibility for LZ.

1. The times of IM & AC/DC were different. Prices were lower...as prices rise, I think our expectations & first impressions are going to be more critical.

2. Coding of lights/sounds in AC/DC and IM were exciting and satisfying & choreographed to shots early on. It’s fair to say I don’t see that in LZ currently.

3. It’s fair to compare LZ to other rock games & other bare games.

4. AC/DC & IM are more mainstream themes than LZ, it’s my opinion that they have more appeal beyond superfans.

Hope that clears things up. Not trying to shit on the game. I’d happily play it on location if we were not in a pandemic....but all I have to go on for a potential purchase is a stream & my own pinball experience & tastes.

#2796 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Ahh the old post the multiple quotes response. Dude you put way too much energy into that lol.... but yeah you do make some sounds arguments that I agree with... others not so much.

Hopefully one day I will have opinions & posting styles that meet with your specific wants and desires.

#2805 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Good God! The LZ Hype Thread has caused my ignore list to grow exponentially! Keep on bashing guys.

Is the hype thread only for non-critical conversation? I figured any and all “hey it’s a new game!” talk was OK.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 65.99
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

5,699 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.