E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#218 3 years ago

I hear you RD. Game play is everything. My wife gave me the green light on LZ since it's her favorite band ever, but she and I agree only if the game is good. I will have to play it first and decide then.

I have seen a lot of posts saying Stern needs to knock this one out of the park. Can we keep our expectations grounded in reality? I'm hoping for something more like Avengers and less like Munsters.

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

When I hear LZ it reminds me of
Damone's 5 point plan.

#270 3 years ago

Hazoff Dang it. You went and changed your avatar. I liked your old one! But hey, blue is my favorite color.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

"Does anyone remember multiball?"

Where's that confounded Multiball?

#1324 3 years ago

To all the naysayers...

#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

You forgot one group, "The Stern Suck ups"

Surely you're not referring to me....
I own Stern, JJP, DE, Gottlieb, and B/W.

#1371 3 years ago

I'm sure there are those that have cancelled, just based on the artwork. Some folks just like to look at their games. Some like to play them!

#1586 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m very intrigued by the ruleset too. Seems like it will be not too simple and not too complex. 5 mins to learn, life time to master kind of deal.

I really like the Icarus playfield X rules. Unlike Munsters where you just bash the target over and over, the multiplier is built by combos and fractional to the tenth of an X. Tim's explanation of that and mentioning holding off on hitting Icarus to get a huge X sounded compelling. Also adding time to the X is with the Hermit target/Reverse ramp which looks like a tough shot.

#1717 3 years ago

OMG! Did you see the horrible gradient on the shield?

#1735 3 years ago

Damn. I just cancelled my LZLE order and put a deposit down on MMR....

#2120 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hopefully people will learn not to judge a game based on art and fluff.

I'm with you but it's never gonna happen. This is Pinside!

#2128 3 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

Is the stream uploaded anywhere now

I'm watching it right now on Twitch. Wickedpissapinballpit

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/842252388

#2130 3 years ago
lzstream (resized).JPGlzstream (resized).JPG
#2133 3 years ago

Yeah, looks like Twitch already killed the VOD. After I watched it and F5'd I got this...

sorry (resized).JPGsorry (resized).JPG
#2219 3 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

Remember when wonka was called a Pat lawler greatest hits....This is Steve Ritchies greatest hits IMO all his killer shots are there...I love how the flow and combos tie in a lot of ways...this is his opus...I own a jjp gnr le and love it I'm as excited to shoot this as any because this is got more flow than Alice's diner.It's also growing on me in its looks.Gnr is great but this looks great in its own way to me.Like someone said it's more a pinball machine...gnr is more of a new thing altogether.Bravo Steve

More Flo than Alice's Diner.....

#2221 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Shots look rad (even if I think the "center ramp accessible from all flippers" is...not accurate) and the light show is killer. I do wonder if there is currently enough variety of objectives (for example, I like how the modes in Maiden make me combo or go ramp/spinner, etc. but I couldn't tell if that was the case on Zep) but I think that can evolve with code.

The way combos are implemented is really cool. The 4 band member inserts are tied with the 4 target banks. A single combo into a bank increases that band member by .1 and a double combo increases by .2, etc. When all four band member inserts are lit solid you can shoot the Icarus to start the playfield X. The X value is all the band member values multiplied together. Example 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.9 = 4.6816 which I assume would be 4.7x playfield. I remember Tim saying that shooting the Hermit on pro or Hot Shot ramp on prem/LE both before and during playfield x adds time to the base time.

#2237 3 years ago

Poor theme integration? I'm just not seeing it.

Tilt animation: A record spinning on the floor for the warning. It slows and falls over = Tilt
Match sequence: The iconic Physical Graffiti album cover shows the match numbers in the doors, then the album rolls out of the sleeve to reveal the match.
Gold records and platinum records awarded during songs that become the end of ball bonus.
Concert clips that have been "acidified", LOL
Lots of usage of the Led Zep font style
Free game animation looked like a door opening up to a backstage entrance.
The LCD surround is like a stage with speakers on the sides and lighting rigs overhead.
The two mini-wizard modes are called Top of the Charts and World Tour
The wizard mode name is unknown but the insert is a Zeppelin with a ?

These are all things that scream Led Zep. They were a band that toured and made awesome music. Not a movie, not a comic book, not a TV show.
The only negative I can see is the overuse of the Zeppelin but that doesn't really bother me too much.

#2302 3 years ago

Well, I was gonna wait to play it but that stream was enough for me. Deposit down on a LZ premium!

#2305 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

is there no replay link?

You gotta sign up for Stern Insider. It's free, just a small PITA.

#2312 3 years ago
Quoted from Blakester:

I signed u for Stern insider and can't seem to log in. Frustrating. Had my son try too--no luck

User friendly it is not!

#2394 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

At least its not him which is most americans idea of the british.[quoted image]

Except with worse teeth!

#2412 3 years ago

"Straight trash".... LOL

#2593 3 years ago

I heard it was Kaneada on code. There are wonderful modes like "Drink in the face Hurry-Up" and "I ain't fucking leaving Multiball"

#2636 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

is a complete joke

Wrong thread, That's the Deeproot thread....

#2637 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have a LZ Premium on order and might still move forward with it...all depends on what the Pro feels like after playing it

This is quite confusing. You have leveled some very harsh criticism at this game, yet you have one on order? Are you an operator?

#2651 3 years ago

My premium, sometime in February.

#2668 3 years ago

Woo hoo! I may get my premium sooner than I thought.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2802 3 years ago

Good God! The LZ Hype Thread has caused my ignore list to grow exponentially! Keep on bashing guys.

#2814 3 years ago

Tim Sexton said on a podcast that the wizard mode is not programmed in yet. Jack would know this. Therefore not a good idea to go for it on a stream because nothing would happen, or 50M would happen or the like.

#2818 3 years ago

I probably need to go back and listen to it again. I thought he said something very special happens when you reach the wizard mode and I, like many, think he is referring to another song being unlocked. Possibly Stairway.

#2843 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So where’s the hype? This thread of is no longer on fire!
Next Stern {Elwin} Godzilla or BTTF, {Eddy} Jaws or {Ritchie} My Little Pony?

Here's some hype for you! Were having our unofficial state championship this Saturday. The op just unboxed a LZ pro so it will be featured in the tourney! HYPED UP!

7467 (resized).jpeg7467 (resized).jpeg
#2865 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It will take JJP till 2023 to get out the next 2 games

Quoted from Skyemont:

Better than releasing 3-4 zizzles a year.

East coast, West coast, Squash the Beef.

#2874 3 years ago

A little follow up. I was able to get 3 or 4 games in on the pro today. Game shoots great! To settle the Great Pinside Debate, the center ramp can be hit from the upper flipper, but not really on purpose. It just happens, but not often. Thoughts:

Backhand to the left ramp is the easiest shot in the game.
Center ramp is repeatable from the left flipper.
Right ramp can be backhanded from a trap on the right, but it is a difficult shot.
I had trouble finding the forehand shot to the right ramp and right orbit.
Left kick out; Many were saying it was a difficult shot but I had no problem hitting it.

About that left kick out. It had a loud clunk. Loud enough that we thought it wise to open up the game and inspect the mech. There was nothing wrong with it. The sound is similar to Maidens upper right flipper clunk. I can only think the noise is due to the solenoid being about 1/2 inch from the side of the cabinet.

We will be removing the post rubbers on the inlanes for the tournament tomorrow. The game can have some longish ball times.

Overall, very pleased with the game and glad I'm in on the premium and not the pro.

20210101_132612 (resized).jpg20210101_132612 (resized).jpg
#2876 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So Mike got a Pro?

Just on loan from Bham Vending.

#2937 3 years ago

A few more observations after our tournament.

The code is pretty bare bones right now. The pro shoots pretty good and I have high hopes that the code will mature and get better and deeper. As it sits right now, I would be bored with the pro in a few days.

We were going to remove the inlane post rubbers but I was over ruled. It was decided to leave the rubbers on but to raise the outlane posts to their highest position. That pretty much turned the game into a drain monster and I would not recommend it. I won a 4-player game with 22 million.

Later on when the tourney was over I managed a score of 103 million and that was the current GC.

My favorite combo in the game: From a trap on the left.
Backhand the left ramp, followed by center ramp, followed by right ramp, followed by left kick out. That is difficult and very satisfying!

#2984 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Led Zep The Pin

I've never played Star Wars the Pin, but I've looked it up on Sterns website. Led Zep pro has 13 coils, at least that's how many we counted. I count around 7 or 8 coils on The Pin.

Led Zep - 3 flippers, SWTP -2 flippers
Led Zep - 3 steel ramps, SWTP-2 ramps
Led Zep - 3 bank drops, SWTP - same
Led Zep - 10 or more stand-up targets, SWTP - I see 3 or 4
Led Zep - traditional cabinet, SWTP - smaller, lighter cabinet
Led Zep - Full sized LCD, SWTP - small LCD
Led Zep - traditional coin door with mechs, SWTP - no coin mechs

Just because a game has an open playfield does not take it down to the level of The Pin. WPT has an extremely open playfield but it's a good game.

#3025 3 years ago

It's very easy to turn down the brightness of the back box in the settings.

Was Guardians fun on release code? Stranger Things?

You've laid out the money. Don't give up before the code has had a few updates.

Then you may still realize it's not a keeper. But give it a chance...

#3029 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I did not know I could Dim the backglass under what setting do I look.
Thanks

Adjustments/Standard, then go backwards cause on some games it's way deep into the adjustments, like #103

#3031 3 years ago

Had to copy this over from the Funny Captions thread...

zep coolant (resized).jpgzep coolant (resized).jpg
#3089 3 years ago

I've played two different LZ pros now. This one was at BumperNets. The game was set-up a little poorly. Not enough pitch and leaning slightly to the right. The game had a nasty feed from the scoop, off the top of the left sling, to the right outlane. This one did NOT have the clunk sound from the kicker in the left scoop, so not sure what was going on there.

One observation on code. Bonus needs to be increased by a factor of ten! I had a decent ball time with a bonus of 180K. It would've felt more in line with how the game scores if that was 1.8M.

#3104 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

I placed an order for a premium the week of the announcement and was told not to expect it until May.
And yes, I realize I added it to my collection prematurely, sorry, over excited.

I also ordered a premium about a week after announcement. My distributor said February.

#3123 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I under stand what Stern is trying to do with Led Zeppelin. Its like the Beatles. With the sounds and the layout of the playfield. It has the feel of a 70's pin.

After playing 2 different LZ pros, I have to disagree with this. It feels absolutely nothing like Beatles. It feels like a fast modern pin. Beatles feels like an updated 80's pin and is a drain monster.

#3126 3 years ago
Quoted from SWfan:

Lighting on the side walls looks incredible and if JJP did that everyone would flip out. Not sure why that isn’t getting more love?

But on Buffalo Pinball Podcast they said The Expression lighting system was like glorified Pinstadiums and the JJP Hotrails were way cooler.

Now who is to be believed?

#3127 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Today should be a good day...just arrived. It's an LE...sorry CE guys.
[quoted image]

Were the two games trading insults sitting that close to each other?

#3130 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say I’m much more impressed with the hot rails at this time. But we shall see how LZ shapes up with their lighting. It did seem like it was sound reactive like cheapo apps you can get for led strips while the hot rails are choreographed just like an actual concert’s lighting.
Any type of light rail or concert lighting is better than none though.

According to Tim, the Expression lighting is programmed for each song. I'm pretty sure he even stated that several of the songs still needed more work.

Going back to that Buffalo podcast, I'm pretty sure Pinstadiums can only be tied to different inserts, GI, Flashers and cannot be programmed to do any of the things that JJP or Stern are doing with this. Comparing the Expression lighting to Pinstadiums was very uninformed.

#3139 3 years ago
Quoted from SWfan:

I just played a LZ Pro for over an hour. Here are my thoughts:
First, I really liked the game and the layout. The way you pick your own song before each ball, and then that song plays for the duration of your ball, really makes it like a Jukebox and I found myself feeling like I was playing pinball WHILE listening to Led Zeppelin moreso than it feeling like I was playing a Led Zeppelin pinball game. It was almost relaxing.
The Good:
I really like the fan layout on this one, and think it is one of the best Ritchie has come up with (even though it is similar to others). The far left scoop is perfectly placed to give some variety and a brief ball hold without killing the flow of the game. The ramps and orbits are great, and the ramps all require solid shots to get completely up the ramp (especially the center and right ramps) which I like. Great smooth action off all three ramps too (although I can confirm there is no way in hell you are hitting the third flipper shot all the way up the center ramp--zero percent chance).
It has the feel of a Ritchie game and is almost like an easier Star Wars because it is a similar layout, but the entrances to the ramps are set farther back and the stand up targets are both farther back and angled away from the flippers so you don't get straight reject SDTM shots like you do in Star Wars.
As far as code, I like that you can select what you want to accomplish to beat each song (20 bumpers, 5 orbits, 10 ramps, etc.). However, it doesn't really seem to have much of a point to the game (as of this version of the code) other than to hit shots and enjoy the music--which is fine, but you better really like both in order to want to keep playing the game for long periods.
Also, I really like the songs they chose, although I wish it had a few more, and a couple in particular...
The Bad:
That third flipper shot that ends curving up a slot with a standup target at the end is terrible. First, it is unrewarding and would never be something you would try to hit unless it was flashing. It really feels like a bridge to nowhere type shot. Second, well struck shots come flying back out of that slot and ricochet off the right side causing the ball to move violently side to side, often ending in an outlane drain. Both of the issues would be completely eliminated in the Premium/LE models, but no way to fix it in the Pro.
The plunge shot is lame. It is not as bad as GNR, and not as dangerous as Star Wars, but it is sort of a weak way to enter the playfield and isn't fun. Stong plunge, weak plunge, short plunge, button plunge-- all end up about the same.
Conclusion:
I really like the flow and style of this game, but I really like Steve Ritchie's style of pinball. Feels like a modern pin, but without a bunch of "stuff" in the way (as opposed to the more typical style of the pins being produced these days). If that sounds good to you, and you like solid long shots up ramps and into orbits, this is a great pin. If you prefer the packed playfield/adventure style progression coded pins like Jurrasic Park and Avengers Infinity Quest, or if you like hitting the same thing over again like Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars or the more modern versions like Elvira HOH, than this is NOT the pin for you.
If you have any specific questions I didn't cover above, send a reply post and I'll respond as best I can. I am also going to give a direct comparison to GNR in that thread if you want to know how I think the two compare as I've now played them both.

I really appreciate the detailed thoughts. Thank you!

Just a couple corrections. You can't pick your song at the beginning of each ball. You can pick your song at the beginning of the 1st ball and then the songs play according to the set list.
Also, you don't get to choose your shots for each song. That choice is for the four Tour Modes. If you reach those objectives then each Tour Mode has it's own Tour MB.

#3160 3 years ago
Quoted from Theguyoverthere:

You can definitely pick a song at the beginning of each ball lol

Thanks for clarifying Ray. I guess what through me off was once you choose a song, the songs always progress in the order of the set list.

#3168 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

See a number of posts from people who are enjoying the way this pin shoots. My question is which shots or combos do you feel are satisfying?

Backhand to left ramp/center ramp/right ramp/left scoop. That is a very satisfying combo.

Also just combo ramps and terminate at any target bank to build multiplier is fun.

Several good combos terminate at the Hermit target , so on the premium/le that is gonna return to the right flipper to continue the combo.

#3183 3 years ago

Those who say the upper flipper shot is useless, it seems to be a pretty important shot in some modes. It may not be a satisfying shot on the Pro, but it certainly isn't useless.

Shooting the upper flipper shot will award:
● + time seconds to Icarus X timer
● 2X song scoring value (when song arrow is lit)
● And it awards one of the following (awards for current ball in play only):
○ Super Spinner (boosted spinner value for 100 spins)
○ Super Pops (boosted pop bumpers for 100 hits)
○ Super Slings (Slingshot values 5000 for up to 100 hits)
○ Super Ramps (2x Song awards on ramps) for up to 10 ramp shots

And This During Zeppelin MB:

Once all jackpots are made and super jackpot is lit at the left eject, and 2x super jackpot is lit at
the upper flipper shot. Completing ROCK, LED, and ZEP targets prior to collecting will multiply
the super jackpot up to 3x (6x if you collect on the upper flipper shot). Collecting either super
jackpot shot unlights the other one and starts you over at the beginning collecting jackpot shots.

And This During Tour MB 1977

● Switch Frenzy [US 1977]
○ All switches score points and add it to the jackpot
○ Jackpot always lit at left eject
○ Super jackpot equal to 3x jackpot is available at side target / ramp
○ Collecting jackpot or super jackpot increases switch values (increases more
with super jackpot) and resets jackpot value

#3199 3 years ago

OK, I now understand why the base bonus is so small in the current code. You can loop the center ramp with the left flipper collecting lane completions for Bonus X. The loop is quite fast and extremely easy to hit. I was doing this today on location. The shot is so easy I would only miss about every 15 to 20 shots. So you are getting a bonus X every 4 shots, which only takes about 15-20 seconds. I had 21X bonus in only 5 or 6 minutes of doing this. Even that only equated to about 4.5 million. But there is potential there for a major exploit, especially in later balls when you have played a lot of songs.

I hope this gets tweaked in the code.

#3207 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

So no Stairway to Heaven was confirmed by Tim. Does anyone think there will still be new music in the Mini wizard (Top of Charts / World Tour) and Final Wizard Modes (?) ?
I cant see playing to make those modes and relistening to the same music all over again.

I do think it unlocks something. Why else would it have a big question mark? So not Stairway. Maybe another song like they did with Metallica. Maybe something like JP where you can go straight to the final challenge?

#3224 3 years ago

LZ hype! I had to break out my old DVDs today! I got my Stern Lightning sold so now I actually have an empty spot to put LZ premium.

20210116_141622 (resized).jpg20210116_141622 (resized).jpg20210116_141630 (resized).jpg20210116_141630 (resized).jpg20210116_141632 (resized).jpg20210116_141632 (resized).jpg20210116_141726 (resized).jpg20210116_141726 (resized).jpg20210116_141800 (resized).jpg20210116_141800 (resized).jpg20210116_141806 (resized).jpg20210116_141806 (resized).jpg20210116_142144 (resized).jpg20210116_142144 (resized).jpg20210116_142207 (resized).jpg20210116_142207 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3345 3 years ago

The three shots on the left are all relatively close to the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.99
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread?tu=lotr_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.