E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrJoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1199 3 years ago

It's so hard to time it right! But awesome!

3 weeks later
#3067 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think the issue is GnR just did everything that should have been on LZ. LZ was about music and the instruments. I think LZ and I think guitar and drums but GnR has all that stuff, even if Stern wanted to increase the bill of materials (which they didn't) it would just have looked like they were following in the foot steps. That lifting spinner to me would have looked better as a drum kit more suited to Motley Crue. They dropped a Motley Crue with basically that exact same mech with some drum set plastic it would have been praised as a revolutionary integration of theme and they would have deserved the accolades.
The one thing Stern seems to really struggle with is connecting with the target audience of the theme.

How would changing the rising spinner/magnet/ball lock to a plastic toy drum set make the game more fun?

#3071 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This is one of the things I really don't understand about this hobby. Some people enjoy score, some people enjoy the art, some people enjoy the world under glass, we all have different things we enjoy. If the theme was Motley Crue and that toy came rising up as Tommy Lee drum soloed people would lose there minds. It's a trademark of the band. It would perfectly integrate pinball, music and the theme. There are people in the hobby that find the stuff cool and enjoyable. It has no connection to Led Zeppelin and that is why some people find it uninspired.
Just a few example, I was jacked for Deadpool love the sex, violence and sarcasm of the films. The Stern pin has no connection to that, so for me it fell flat. I was jacked for Star Wars, I wanted to take a journey to time long ago in a galaxy far far away, the pin is a tournament players dream, but it has no real connection to theme. Recently through some of my friends I'm kind exploring guitar and really finding new life in music of the 70s, bands like Led Zeppelin. The pin has the music but for me at least it doesn't connect to the guitar and drums of that era. It doesn't have that theme, how this band and their technical skill changed rock and roll. I was hoping for modes around the drums of Bonham, the iconic front man that is Plant and the riffs that are Page.
I'm not saying its not a fun enjoyable pin to shoot, but I like pins for theme and feel. For me personally this pin doesn't seem to capture that. That doesn't mean its not a great pin or not fun if it has what you enjoy. I love my AC/DC it just has that feel, I love my Star Trek to me it feels like Star Trek.

John Bonham was one of the top rock drummers, no doubt. I just don't get the fascination with plastic bash toys and whatnot (or toppers, etc.). I like to feel like I'm playing a good shooting pinball machine when I play, not pretend I'm in the band or something like that while I happen to play pinball. So pinball first, theme and gadgets secondary for my taste.

#3073 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I don't get why anyone cares about score or multipliers, all I ever cared about was how cool it was and how long I could make my quarter last. To each their own and all that.

Exactly, to each their own! Just sharing my perspective. It's a great time to be in the hobby!

#3082 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are a ton of pinball players that prefer to play for mode progression and reaching wizard modes versus for score alone. If someone told me they scored 2 billion points in Star Wars I would think "That's great" but I would be more impressed if they reached and beat Defeat the Emperor. Same goes for getting 100 million in Lord of the Rings versus reaching Valinor...reaching Valinor is more impressive.
A majority of modern Sterns seem to focus more on multipliers and score based modes versus modes that are layered with excellent mode choreography (animations, sounds, lighting, etc all timed to events from the theme). Why? Well I have a theory on that and it's that focusing on scores / multipliers is cheaper and easier to code versus creating those multi layered modes I described. The tournament scene that Stern is heavily invested in doesn't seem to care much for mode choreography but rather score alone. Well, a lot of home buyers that are dropping $6k - $9k+ on games would prefer to see high quality layered modes versus generic points based modes.
Think of the story based modes and mulitballs in Lord of the Rings and then compare them to modes in most modern Stern's that just flash a single image / animation with a bunch of floating scores, it's night and day. Also, every Stern is loaded with copy and paste filler points modes called "super modes". Super ramps, super pops, super orbits...yeah they are super boring.

....and many home buyers feel games have longer legs if they offer strategic scoring opportunities (it's a pinball machine, not a video game) rather than playing through the same movie scenes over and over. Most modern Stern games offer strategic scoring combined with tough-to-reach end games.

#3114 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I under stand what Stern is trying to do with Led Zeppelin. Its like the Beatles. With the sounds and the layout of the playfield. It has the feel of a 70's pin.

Pins in the 70's didn't have ramps. No 70's playfield has a layout like this at all. The songs are from the 70's, that's about it.

#3174 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How is this game slow? Looks nothing like that in the videos.

It’s not slow at all. I’m as baffled as you by this claim.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.99
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrJoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread?tu=DrJoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.