E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png

There are 3,349 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 67.
#2251 11 months ago

Any link to the stream? Or is the "lifestyle brand" marketing wall permanent?

I don't get it. They claim to be a hip, youthful, lifestyle brand, yet their target market is old men who don't sign up for garbage internet accounts. Then require them to sign up...

Fire the marketing team, take that money and put it into the machines. Save time and money!

#2252 11 months ago

My suspicion is keeping it behind the Insider wall helps keep it from being muted for copyright issues.

It takes an email and no money to sign up. Not too difficult but I do work in marketing.

#2253 11 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The X value is all the band member values multiplied together. Example 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.9 = 4.6816 which I assume would be 4.7x playfield.

Ok fine as long as he keeps it fun and doesn’t implement fractions into high scores.
Sexton is going to make or break this one for me.

#2254 11 months ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

My suspicion is keeping it behind the Insider wall helps keep it from being muted for copyright issues.
It takes an email and no money to sign up. Not too difficult but I do work in marketing.

Exactly, if they got kicked off immediately they were going to go right over to YouTube but for some the stream worked all the way through.

Pretty sure the basic stern insider acct is free but correct, it can’t get taken down there.

Until DMCA is challenged, twitch and all the others are dead for streams with licensed audio.

#2255 11 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Exactly, if they got kicked off immediately they were going to go right over to YouTube but for some the stream worked all the way through.
Pretty sure the basic stern insider acct is free but correct, it can’t get taken down there.
Until DMCA is challenged, twitch and all the others are dead for streams with licensed audio.

Maiden and Beatles are pretty protective of their license. Just sayin...

#2256 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LZ shows just how much Stern is now stripping out of their games to increase their profit margins compared to a game from 5 years ago.

LOL 5 yr's ago people were bitching about plastic ramp no drops no spinners

#2257 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

More
Jab away
JJP games are the deepest best Pinball machines around.

I will never understand why people think 100 modes = a good game

#2258 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think you missed what I was saying. Has nothing to do with LZ.
DMCA didn’t go nuts until mid year with all the bots that scan for this stuff.

Doesn’t matter who the band is, if you went on and streamed Metallica, you would get shutdown.

If Jack did a Beatles stream live last night same thing would have happened.

Need to find a way to get relief on this. It’s a problem.

#2259 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I can't watch the Maiden trailer on Stern's YouTube anymore.

#2260 11 months ago

One thing I don’t understand about this DMCA stuff, why is it that people can still have videos on YouTube such as ACDC pinball? What is the difference between live stream and saved video?

#2261 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

DMCA just recently started going after streamers. It wasn’t a problem because they didn’t have the same technology to go after people that they do now. It’s really not that hard to understand.

#2262 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

One thing I don’t understand about this DMCA stuff, why is it that people can still have videos on YouTube such as ACDC pinball? What is the difference between live stream and saved video?

That is the thing I don’t understand.

#2263 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They are already demonetized and wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing them taken down too.

#2264 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Twitch is only starting to enforce DMCA so it’s very draconian. Youtube has done it longer and is better about fair use appeals and either demonetizing videos or sending the monetization to the rights holder. But it seems like they’re cracking down more too as of late.

#2265 11 months ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

They are already demonetized and wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing them taken down too.

Why can’t the stream be demonetized? I don’t understand making money on streaming the promotion of a product. Also, since Stern had the rights to sell and market this licensed product, shouldn’t they be able to do a streaming on their own website without breaking the law?

#2266 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Why can’t the stream be demonetized? I don’t understand making money on streaming the promotion of a product. Also, since Stern had the rights to sell and market this licensed product, shouldn’t they be able to do a streaming on their own website without breaking the law?

The law hasn’t keep up with technology and the way modern people consume media.

#2267 11 months ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

DMCA just recently started going after streamers. It wasn’t a problem because they didn’t have the same technology to go after people that they do now. It’s really not that hard to understand.

It is if you don't know. Now I do, and knowing is half the battle.

Bummer!

#2268 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The way that streams make money is different from YouTube. YouTube pays a portion of add revenue to channels based on viewership. So YouTube can just not pay you if you are using material that you didn’t pay for. Streams are in general a subscription service which means people are paying directly. Twitch can’t stop people from subbing or getting tipped directly so their course of action if you are using copyrighted material is to ban you or take your channel away. Which for a lot of streamers is literally taking their job away. This isn’t a stern marketing scheme it’s just how the internet works right now. Some sort of compromise will probably be figured out eventually but that’s for Twitch/YouTube lawyers to figure out with record label lawyers.

#2269 11 months ago

In other news, anyone see the PF wood grain quality in the marketing photos? If you zoom in on their marketing photos, the PF does not appear to be smooth.

2BA9DC5D-21F3-4537-90C6-8F24845D3898 (resized).jpegEEEA7E9B-B38C-4889-ABB6-F9F23502B385 (resized).jpeg
#2270 11 months ago

They are probably experimenting with thinner clear I would guess to avoid the chipping and pooling that pinside loves to scream about. This is what spooky does.

#2271 11 months ago

I guess it has always seemed ridiculous to me that people get paid for posting stuff on the internet such as videos and Tik tok.

#2272 11 months ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

They are probably experimenting with thinner clear

Had a JP Le with the same issue. It is considered ‘acceptable’

#2273 11 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

In other news, anyone see the PF wood grain quality in the marketing photos? If you zoom in on their marketing photos, the PF does not appear to be smooth.

Corderoy was BIG in the 70s.

#2274 11 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Had a JP Le with the same issue. It is considered ‘acceptable’

By who?

#2275 11 months ago

Spooky playfields are the only ones that don’t get complaints.

#2276 11 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

In other news, anyone see the PF wood grain quality in the marketing photos?

Could be because its made out of wood.

#2277 11 months ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Corderoy was BIG in the 70s.

And popular in the early 80’s also lol. Went to Catholic grade school till junior high. Corderoy was king in junior high.

#2278 11 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

Anyone know the time stamp for shots going through the spinner and up the ramp, someone said it was done on the stream but I’ve not been able to find it yet.
And is the center ramp makeable from the 3rd flipper like stern advertise or is it more of a rebound shot like the left ramp on Star Trek from the 3rd flipper?

It's right around 1:08:20 - looks like it's a quick ricochet off the inside right of the Electric Magic then up through the ramp. Still have not seen upper flipper to center ramp.

Edit: There's a third flipper to center ramp reject around 1:12:40.

#2279 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I enjoy Stern games, currently own two of them including a Ghostbusters premium and considering purchasing AIQ. Have purchased several other Stern's as well over the years. If you don't want to read any criticism head over to the owners thread!

The same goes for what people say back to you it sure as hell did not require a moderation

#2280 11 months ago

Stream looked great. But that first game, 3rd player- hits the left slingshot and drains 3x in a row!! LOL. I’m sure that will be most of my games.

#2281 11 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think you missed what I was saying. Has nothing to do with LZ.
DMCA didn’t go nuts until mid year with all the bots that scan for this stuff.
Doesn’t matter who the band is, if you went on and streamed Metallica, you would get shutdown.
If Jack did a Beatles stream live last night same thing would have happened.
Need to find a way to get relief on this. It’s a problem.

We do have a solution. It passed by congress in '76 and it's called Fair Use. It permits limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder and it’s been upheld by the SCOTUS multiple times since then. It's just that the DCMA and the corporations that host the social media seem to disregard it. For whatever reason they can’t seem to just require a broad licensing fee from Twitch in the same way they charge restaurants to play music. It's baffling how we're in this situation. We literally can’t play a pinball machine—that we own—online anymore.

#2282 11 months ago

Yeah. It totally sucks.

#2283 11 months ago
Quoted from coop:

It's just that the DCMA and the corporations that host the social media seem to disregard it. For whatever reason they can’t seem to just require a broad licensing fee from Twitch in the same way they charge restaurants to play music. It's baffling how we're in this situation. We literally can’t play a pinball machine—that we own—online anymore.

Dcma is a law... not a entity itself. It doesn’t ignore fair use. Its just the corporations you mention comply with requests to try to avoid getting dragged in legal fights themselves. Its simply easier to comply then contest... and plenty of “businesses “ have sprung up to sell their services to enable people to make takedown notices at scale.

Playing in a single spot like a restaurant to a location is nothing like streaming to unlimited people everywhere. But it is miserable that broadcasting the legal use of something is in itself considered a different use.

The world waits for a big landmark case here or congress codifying it. At least there is discussion on capitol hill even if relief isn’t on the immediate horizon.

#2284 11 months ago

What is stopping an entity such as PPS from suing streamers that are using Williams/Bally games in a stream? Also, is it considered a felony if prosecuted?

#2285 11 months ago

Stern and it's distributors. It's not new, my IMDN had awful wood grain...poor sanding, plywood. Just another example of Stern saving a few bucks. If most of these games were being operated, I could understand...however, most of these games are going into collector homes and Stern knows it pisses collectors off.

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

My Rick & Morty is the nicest PF I've had on any game (including my HEP AFM). If you look at the plywood layers, it's clear Spooky doesn't cheap out on the wood (and it shows). Shit, my butter cabinet looks better than some of my recent Stern PF's The older Stern games sourced much better plywood.

#2286 11 months ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

They had some issues with some TNA at one point, I've never heard of any American Pinball PFs having issues.

#2287 11 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Shit, my butter cabinet looks better than some of my recent Stern PF's

That's funny right there.

#2288 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Fire the marketing team, take that money and put it into the machines. Save time and money!

That would make my brother unemployed ... So I'll have to disagree on this one.

#2289 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What is stopping an entity such as PPS from suing streamers

Nothing.

#2290 11 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern and it's distributors. It's not new, my IMDN had awful wood grain...poor sanding, plywood. Just another example of Stern saving a few bucks. If most of these games were being operated, I could understand...however, most of these games are going into collector homes and Stern knows it pisses collectors off.

My Rick & Morty is the nicest PF I've had on any game (including my HEP AFM). If you look at the plywood layers, it's clear Spooky doesn't cheap out on the wood (and it shows). Shit, my butter cabinet looks better than some of my recent Stern PF's The older Stern games sourced much better plywood.

I’ve noticed that .I bought a routed family guy looks like the zambonie just left the ice .Though I’m in good shape w IMDN n WOZ very little dimples no pooling

#2291 11 months ago

Next up for DCMA wil be podcasts for using music and movie sound clips.

#2292 11 months ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

what about API !? never read something negative
i had OF and now HOUDINI, and its perfect, absolutly nothing when to compare with lots of STERN i had home or played near locations/or friends

#2293 11 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’ve noticed that .I bought a routed family guy looks like the zambonie just left the ice .Though I’m in good shape w IMDN n WOZ very little dimples no pooling

Comparing a 16 year old routed game with recent HUO games makes no sense to me, but if it gives you a warm feeling, then I'm happy for you.

#2294 11 months ago

Does anyone have a pic of the topper on an LE?

#2295 11 months ago

I heard a rumor that the topper will be 2k but installing it adds the song stairway to heaven to the game. How many of you would pay 2k for something like that?

#2296 11 months ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

I heard a rumor that the topper will be 2k but installing it adds the song stairway to heaven to the game. How many of you would pay 2k for something like that?

The topper is $850 and available for preorder. I used cointakers.

#2297 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The only opinion that matters is your own.

#2298 11 months ago

Heck - It took me several attempts to get Stern Insider to accept my account set-up. Finally in!

#2299 11 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What is stopping an entity such as PPS from suing streamers that are using Williams/Bally games in a stream? Also, is it considered a felony if prosecuted?

The issue is complicated. When wms (and hence PPS as its licensee) licensed the assets that are used in a game, they licensed it for that kind of use, which didn’t include the rights to stream that music on the net. So even tho the game is licensed to use that asset in its use in the game, broadcasting that same game is not a right you secure by owning the game. Just like you buying a record doesn’t license you to broadcast that music. The streaming and broadcast rights for the music is not part of the license secured by WMS.. and hence isn’t within PPS scope as their licensee.

The monetary risks via civil recourse are far greater than the criminal risk... criminal pursuits are usually over the people who actively try to circumvent or into mass distribution (think of the fbi going after people selling copied video tapes, the people cracking encryption, etc).

#2300 11 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

And popular in the early 80’s also lol. Went to Catholic grade school till junior high. Corderoy was king in junior high.

Ugh... I had those f-ing sears pants that were so stiff you couldnt bend your legs. thanks mom.

There are 3,349 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 67.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside