E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 68.
#1801 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Art is at the bottom of my list of how I rate games. Nothing is lower. Some of the greatest games I’ve ever played look like absolute hell.
Someone said it really well before. You got the people that care how a game looks, and the others that care how a game plays.
I like to play them. .

That’s not the point most here are making about LZ.
Let’s say for example the gameplay is outstanding on this title.
Would you rather have the art on LZ excellent or crap.
I’m sure most would take the former, you included, I’m sure

#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

I like the artwork. People care WAY too much about what these games look like. So much that they won’t even give it a chance because of how it looks. DOA even before it’s played. It’s nuts to me.

#1803 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

That’s not the point most here are making about LZ.
Let’s say for example the gameplay is outstanding on this title.
I’m sure most would take the former, you included, I’m sure

I love all the mechanisms on LZ.

#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Q: How does this "safe-version" of a "pop pen" add fun to the game? why are you holding up my ball with pops with no risk for a drain? why do you keep putting "safety-first" walled-off pop pens in games?

agreed. these 'bumper nests' with safe exits are a waste/nuisance. the BOM of those 3 coils could be used for something more interesting in that same space.

i realize you are discussing LZs pops here, but look at what people will be considering tomorrow when alien is re-released. same thing.

alieneggs2 (resized).jpgalieneggs2 (resized).jpg

Quoted from mof:

playfield real estate is so precious

thats quite an expanse of space that alien wastes on a bumper nest. pic below. it has four possible points of entry - both orbits, the current chestbuster shot, and the lower left one, which opens up as a shot from the upper left flipper once the pops are removed.

without elaborating, one way this area could have been reimagined would be a worthwhile toy [space jockey e.g.] that serves as a physical ball lock, with locks at the various entry points. it would be designed and programmed to provide much needed feeds to the upper right flipper. the alternative of adding a featured multiball sounds better than having balls dribble out of a nest. it is a shame that during these past 2 years the pinball brothers didnt consider 1] redesigning the bumper nest, 2] making more playfield modifications that could have improved setting up both upper flippers, and 3] reworking the art.

alienbumpernest01 (resized).jpgalienbumpernest01 (resized).jpg

#1805 3 years ago

Im sorry but when look at LZ pro, it looks a game we’ve all played many times before.
Hope I’m wrong, look forward to finding out.

#1806 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Im sorry but when look at LZ pro, it looks a game we’ve all played many times before.
Hope I’m wrong.

Except youll be playing it to Led F*ckin Zepplin!!!!

#1807 3 years ago

I can’t really see how it would shoot like any other game. And the rules are definitely unique. Excited to see the stream tomorrow. 8 pm eastern on FB right?

#1808 3 years ago

Art is the icing on the cake. Game layout, code, reliability, tournament worthiness and fun factor are a 100x more important to me. I like to play my games, not just look at them. So far i like what i see with LZ and i have faith in Tim Sexton to come up with a great rule set. Personally i think the artwork is fine and will fit into my collection of Rock machines nicely although i do respect some of the criticisms.

#1809 3 years ago

Afraid to say guys but it’s common knowledge the album covers from old are known to be a bit crap.
They still had Art Deco styles - Mothership + Celebration day they could have worked with and could have / should have brought in a decent artist like they did with other Stern rock titles, Kiss + Met + Luci + Aero.
Only themselves to blame for the schoolboy errors. A high % of the fans/collectors who were looking forward are unfortunately upset with the look of all 3, they would have caught a break at least if they looked semi decent but from here I feel they have got off on the wrong foot. Sincerely hoping the gameplay will be great cause I really like LZ and love the genre of pins.
I like the majority of the PF and actually like the colours on the PF.

Someone at Stern must have thought fans who love LZ music automatically love their album covers as well - huge mistake!
Anyone who collected vinyl years ago will know album art / covers were hit or miss - we were thankful when picture disks were released

I’ve got boat loads of vinyl in my loft of music I love - all metal + rock - some album covers I truly love, some are total pants!

#1810 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I have listened three times now. If you took a bathroom break between minute 32 and 35 you’d have missed my points. I think this covers all
32:06 - 32:11 - code # is ?
32:12 - 32:16 - code is missing a few things that are planned.
32:17 - 32.33 - he needs to get the game done first, and then add co-op.
33:34 - 34:50 - he is still playing around with rules on HOW TO qualify the final mode.
33:51 - 34:01 - he is getting feedback and ideas from Stern’s Keith & Raymond and from beta testers.
34:21 - 34:33 - we’ll dial it in and we need more releases before we get to 1.0 code.
I think he says that two of the ten songs are not fully done or are not in, but I can’t locate that.
Reading between the lines and going unsaid - there is much to be done. Depending on how much support Tim gets from Stern for a title that has been released, is yet to be seen. So if it ends up being one guy supporting him, it could take six months in my estimation. He is not going to say I’ve got a shitload of work, the game has technical issues, a bug is causing it to crash, I don’t know how to create a certain effect, assets are missing etc. No, the code has a long ways to go, period. What am I missing?
We’ll be able to see for ourselves with the stream this Friday. Of course, am more pessimistic about it than you, my friend.
Edit - my understanding is that when the rules for qualifying and playing a final wizard mode are in flux, the entire structure of the game is also in flux and it is susceptible to dramatic changes.

Didn’t Tim say the final wizard mode( insert with Zep and ?) is qualified by completing all songs to the platinum level? He was pretty specific when talking about that particular wizard mode and went on to say if you happen to do this something really cool and special happens. I took that to mean it’s in there. Who knows?

#1811 3 years ago

Yeah I think that’s right. Platinum on all the songs. Sounds like a tough task. Should be a good carrot out there for long lasting play at home. Hopefully it’s not as hard as encore on AC/DC or as wood choppy.

#1812 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Art is the icing on the cake. Game layout, code, reliability, tournament worthiness and fun factor are a 100x more important to me. I like to play my games, not just look at them. So far i like what i see with LZ and i have faith in Tim Sexton to come up with a great rule set. Personally i think the artwork is fine and will fit into my collection of Rock machines nicely although i do respect some of the criticisms.

Might be the first rational post of the day, crazy.

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hope I’m wrong, look forward to finding out.

Totally agree, art aside, it makes me want to go and re buy AC/DC. Or maybe SM for the 3rd time

I see very little theme integration, the magnet/spinner pop up, I don’t get it

It’s an LZ music pin so it’s still gonna sell regardless, just like Star Wars

I have bought most Stern LEs and only ever dropped out on SW and now this one

Sorry Steve. Layout is lacking. It’s not the artwork

#1814 3 years ago

They should have went total 70's arcade esthetic.
Seriously.

- Initials carved into the cab,
- paint-worn coin slots,
- score reels (in addition to LED screen),
- chrome side rails and lockdown bar and legs,
- stenciled cab,
- muted colours (done)
- star rollovers on the playfield
- etc

#1815 3 years ago

The minimalistic, clean art style of the machine fits Led Zeppelin's aesthetic, especially for the era the pin is meant to evoke - a dense, overly stylized design would have been out of place, or at least would have taken the mood of the game into a direction the designers (and possibly the license holders) were obviously not trying to move towards. It has a different artistic tone from most pins, and it's totally fine if you don't like it.

With that said, the most obvious way to show that you don't understand the nature of art is to tell other the way art *must* be. That's not how art works, regardless of medium, and pinball is no exception.

I think it looks like a cool game that oozes Led Zeppeliness and the shots and rules seem great - got an LE coming and I am looking forward to it.

#1816 3 years ago

Tim has a lot to prove for me. I wasn’t impressed with the rules on BKSOR. Listening to the Jeff T interview didn’t give me any confidence he will knock this one out of the park.

I hope he kills it and the game is awesome but I need to see past work to instill confidence.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Tim has a lot to prove for me. I wasn’t impressed with the rules on BKSOR. Listening to the Jeff T interview didn’t give me any confidence he will knock this one out of the park.

The rules on BKSOR Prem were great, never played a pro so don't know if the lack of upper playfield/catapult mb brought it down.

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People care WAY too much about what these games look like. So much that they won’t even give it a chance because of how it looks. DOA even before it’s played. It’s nuts to me.

Same. I just dont get it. And some of the comments just reek of hate. Like, people are just pissed off over how some pinball machines look.

Like, hey, it's only pinball.

#1819 3 years ago

I think something like this would make a good alternate translite for the premium.

5309540C-CD05-4856-8507-25F8676F018D (resized).jpeg5309540C-CD05-4856-8507-25F8676F018D (resized).jpeg
#1820 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I hope he kills it and the game is awesome but I need to see past work to instill confidence.

serious question-- what was wrong with BKSOR rules? I haven't played it enough to find anything i disliked. The only issue i heard of was the upper playfield had an exploit that the super elite tournament players could take advantage of. is there something i'm not seeing with my limited time on it? It seemed like a pretty straight forward rule set that forced you to play all the shots.

#1821 3 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

I think something like this would make a good alternate translite for the premium.
[quoted image]

I think they should have based it on this photo. Probably the best photo of the band.

zeppinball (resized).jpgzeppinball (resized).jpg
#1822 3 years ago

The intensity of the focus on all the lesser aspects of a new game such as art, display, and lights went straight up as the price of these games went straight up, as it should have. It doesn’t mean we don’t care about gameplay all of a sudden. Just that we care about everything when these games cost us more than our first car.

#1823 3 years ago

Game looks like shit!

#1824 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickson:

Game looks like shit!

hahahahahaha. So you don't like it huh?

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from Nickson:

Game looks like shit!

d7c22faf6e800bad4bd864c1123180f3 (resized).jpgd7c22faf6e800bad4bd864c1123180f3 (resized).jpg
#1826 3 years ago

It'll be interesting to see how many people that hate The Hobbit fall in love with this even though it has a barren playfield and from the looks of it a few less features?
For the record TH is a great game and I'm sure this will be too. Congrats to those of you whom this is the dream theme for you.

#1827 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Jack Danger said on his stream last night he thinks it's LE.

He's going to be streaming a Premium tomorrow FWIW.

#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from apessino:

the most obvious way to show that you don't understand the nature of art is to tell other the way art *must* be. That's not how art works, regardless of medium, and pinball is no exception.

Absolutely right.

#1829 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I like the artwork. People care WAY too much about what these games look like. So much that they won’t even give it a chance because of how it looks. DOA even before it’s played. It’s nuts to me.

Ahh shucks. It's true, the art is important to me. These things are expensive and they take up a bunch of space in my house. I want them to play well AND look cool.

I think what's tough about this one is that I had my hopes up for Star Wars and that was pretty bad on all accounts but I just shrugged it off. "You can't win ‘em all.", I told myself. It’s been twelve games since Star Wars and they have ALL looked amazing. Turtles is a fantastic game but it's not my era so when that one came and went I could appreciate the execution but it didn't resonate with me. However, now with Led Zeppelin it was finally my turn, my era, my nostalgia, and this time all the production kinks have been worked out. I don’t have to worry about an uninspired photoshopped Star Wars playfield or the infamous garishness of Game of Thrones. Unfortunately, what was delivered fell short. It's disappointing man. It kinda hurts to see the one pin you've really been wanting for not get the same attention to detail as the others. I’m still trying to process what went wrong.

I make my living designing things and I also rent my home as a photo location. Aesthetics are an important part of my life. With that said I still play an hour of pinball a day and I made it into the top 100 in California in 2019. I just wanted to make the point that you can comment on the look of a game but still be very interested in the actual game play. It's not one or another.

I'm still looking forward to playing it and would still consider swapping out the Capitan Fantastic in my music room. However, this moment, before we've seen the stream or played it in person, is to talk about the art. To be honest I'm grieving a little bit. I think others are as well and this is the only place where anyone would understand me. I'm not trying to cancel Led Zeppelin the pin before I’ve played it. I'm more just sharing my feelings about what I’ve seen so far.

#1830 3 years ago

They didn’t seem to integrate the theme at all . “ oh here’s a magic fk’ing box “ seems like a cheap way to just put a gimmick into the game

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

Ahh shucks. It's true, the art is important to me. These things are expensive and they take up a bunch of space in my house. I want them to play well AND look cool.
I think what's tough about this one is that I had my hopes up for Star Wars and that was pretty bad on all accounts but I just shrugged it off. "You can't win ‘em all.", I told myself. It’s been twelve games since Star Wars and they have ALL looked amazing. Turtles is a fantastic game but it's not my era so when that one came and went I could appreciate the execution but it didn't resonate with me. However, now with Led Zeppelin it was finally my turn, my era, my nostalgia, and this time all the production kinks have been worked out. I don’t have to worry about an uninspired photoshopped Star Wars playfield or the infamous garishness of Game of Thrones. Unfortunately, what was delivered fell short. It's disappointing man. It kinda hurts to see the one pin you've really been wanting for not get the same attention to detail as the others. I’m still trying to process what went wrong.
I make my living designing things and I also rent my home as a photo location. Aesthetics are an important part of my life. With that said I still play an hour of pinball a day and I made it into the top 100 in California in 2019. I just wanted to make the point that you can comment on the look of a game but still be very interested in the actual game play. It's not one or another.
I'm still looking forward to playing it and would still consider swapping out the Capitan Fantastic in my music room. However, this moment, before we've seen the stream or played it in person, is to talk about the art. To be honest I'm grieving a little bit. I think others are as well and this is the only place where anyone would understand me. I'm not trying to cancel Led Zeppelin the pin before I’ve played it. I'm more just sharing my feelings about what I’ve seen so far.

Have a beer. It’s just pinball. Enjoy the stream tomorrow. Reveal streams are always fun.

#1832 3 years ago

Mikey want Zeppelin. Mikey likey

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1833 3 years ago

People like to bitch...

LOTR has pretty bad art ( the LE is really bad) but I would argue that is the best Stern of all time so....

#1834 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

To be honest I'm grieving a little bit. I think others are as well and this is the only place where anyone would understand me. I'm not trying to cancel Led Zeppelin the pin before I’ve played it. I'm more just sharing my feelings about what I’ve seen so far.

FWIW I understand completely.

Pinside has all types of folk.

Some people just like to shit on stuff and troll it up. Some people get mad when people post their opinions or say something negative and get defensive about every perceived slight on a game. But I think the bulk of people who come into threads like this acting disappointed just wanted something they could fall in love with.

Not everyone has the eye or language to discuss design, but they know what they like, and what they don't. Personally I'd rather gush about how much I love something than bitch about how much I'm let down. But what can you do when you have your hopes up for a theme and get dealt an asset pack cut and paste job?

#1835 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have a beer. It’s just pinball. Enjoy the stream tomorrow. Reveal streams are always fun.

There's no need to talk down to people.

#1836 3 years ago

If i can play pinball to Led Zeppelin, hell yeah. I think the premium has the best art but not sure if the rising lock/ spinner is worth it. Ugh, first world decisions...

#1837 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

There's no need to talk down to people.

Didn’t mean it that way. You seem extremely upset about a pinball reveal. Just take a step back and try to enjoy it. At the end of the day it’s just a game. If it’s not for you it’s not for you. There’s always the next one.

#1838 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Didn’t mean it that way. You seem extremely upset about a pinball reveal. Just take a step back and try to enjoy it. At the end of the day it’s just a game. If it’s not for you it’s not for you. There’s always the next one.

Agreed 100%, seems like people take these things personally. Unfortunately I think social media makes everyone feel like their opinion matters and everyone needs to agree with them or they're bad.

#1839 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

I have an art background and what we are shown is pretty much the art of the game and that’s all we can pretty much comment out till gameplay videos and rules are explained.

And your right they take up a lot of space and I want them to play good and look good. I already mentioned they display like artwork but they take up space like furniture. I don’t want an expensive couch that is comfortable but looks like crap.

Cabinet artwork is now a thing that will be judged and scrutinized because it’s part of the overall package. We want a new car with a nice paint job and color besides it running well. It’s part of the design as is with pinball now.

If it didn’t matter than we would still have games only with a base coat and two stencils for graphics. Sorry, if I am spending $7k for a game I want it to look good also especially when we have themes we really love and have been waiting for like with Led Zeppelin.

#1840 3 years ago

Oh I am still in the earth I have to go to north and I see the earth and the sun is out there for a while to see the sun is coming back together so we will be in the north and I have to get my car out there and then maybe I can have some time with the earth for eve or so maybe we should have some time for you and your dad and I are going on the same page for eve and you want me to do that and I will be able you could do you a little while I am still in north and I will have you in my office for eve and I will have to get my stuff back from here on Monday I am going down north and I will have to get them up on my bike I don’t have any time to get there and I’ll be there in the time so maybe I’ll be back together in a couple minutes if we have any other time we will have to get them up on our house

#1841 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Oh I am still in the earth I have to go to north and I see the earth and the sun is out there for a while to see the sun is coming back together so we will be in the north and I have to get my car out there and then maybe I can have some time with the earth for eve or so maybe we should have some time for you and your dad and I are going on the same page for eve and you want me to do that and I will be able you could do you a little while I am still in north and I will have you in my office for eve and I will have to get my stuff back from here on Monday I am going down north and I will have to get them up on my bike I don’t have any time to get there and I’ll be there in the time so maybe I’ll be back together in a couple minutes if we have any other time we will have to get them up on our house

Just got back from the dispensary, eh?

#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

To be honest I'm grieving a little bit. I think others are as well and this is the only place where anyone would understand me.

Coop I respect your feelings and am glad you can get things off your chest. What I really like is your demeanor and how you can express yourself without becoming a keyboard commando.

I really feel Stern's hands were tied on this one guys in regards to the art choices and the team had a handful of options to choose from-all being licensed Led Zeppelin albums. If you truly think about authenticity of the brand and franchise-the albums make sense. The bright blue rails on LE that everyone bashed were to represent water below Icarus in another world under the glass. What the heck is Icarus? Icarus is based on ancient Greek mythology. It refers to a youth who attempted to escape from Crete with wings of wax and feathers but flew so high that his wings melted from the heat of the sun, and he plunged to his death in the sea(those bright blue rails). The only thing to be mad at Stern about is not using a different cover within their contractual assets. (Not much to work with)

Led Zeppelin 2 is nothing to write home about either

LZ 2.pngLZ 2.png

#1843 3 years ago

I'd be interested in getting a premium and swapping translites with a pro or vice versa, that would look decent. A mix of both albums.

#1844 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just got back from the dispensary, eh?

Ya mannnn, flyin highhhhhhhh

#1845 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Worried about you Wacky. Hope all is well bro.

#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I'd be interested in getting a premium and swapping translites with a pro or vice versa, that would look decent. A mix of both albums.

That there is the best thing I’ve heard in this thread! Good Idea

#1847 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Worried about you Wacky. Hope all is well bro.

Me ok thx

#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But if you have been waiting for a pin of one of your favorite bands and your let down by the art work not so easy to wait just for the next one. Most likely will never see another Led Zeppelin pin again. So some of us are upset with the art direction that was taken.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

That there is the best thing I’ve heard in this thread! Good Idea

Thanks, now I'll take half the TWD topper profits please...jk that was an entertaining thread, good for you!

#1850 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was reading your comments and I have to say they felt dismissive. So, I thought I would try to sketch out what people like me are thinking. It is just a pinball machine but I do love pinball and there are truly a very limited amount of grail themes.

In 1977 I was in 5th grade when I saw Star Wars at the Coronet theater in San Francisco—which is where the film premiered. I saw it in the theater 9 times that summer. Led Zeppelin was the soundtrack to my teenage years. Those types of memories are limited. A person may only have a couple of true grail themes. Sure, I'll enjoy the next one as I enjoy them all to some degree but I still think it's fair to leave space for a discussion about lackluster art package.

I listened to Jeff Teolis to raise the same issues that I had this evening on his podcast. He's still buying the game. I too still want to play it and I might even buy one. I do care a lot about this theme and unfortunately, the next one will just be something random that I won't have an emotional connection to. So, for now, I’ll just go ahead and make my points and you can drink my beer for me.

See you tomorrow on Twitch.

P.S. I think you're a cool person. You've helped me out on here with some pinball problems. I know you and I could just totally hang out and it would be fun. I'm just talking about my feelings and stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 65.99
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 68.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/37?hl=malibro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.