E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 68.
#1751 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The holidays can be a very stressful time!
Here's some lovely pictures of a snowy Times Square / Rock Center from last night, to help put you everybody in a majestic and cheerful holiday mood![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AHHH, The City at Christmas in a snowstorm. Thanks for the Pics Levi!

On a Side Note- Who's stepping up to make new Sling shot plastics and pop caps? Count me In.
Premium on Order, been waiting 10 years for this. Super Stoked!!
FYI. I love the look of the Premium. Good for me and my cash.
Ba humbug to the naysayers.

#1752 3 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

The album covers on the side plastics, I think that's a cool touch. Regarding the pop bumpers with the same Icarus on all 3? I think a nice & simple mod might be if someone makes a whole set of the studio albums on circle pop bumper plastics to switch them up to your favorites. I'd for sure put a Physical Graffiti, Houses & IV on them instead. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what's on the video assets tomorrow during the stream? I heard Tim on the podcast talk about live video clips from Earl's court?! Very excited about that. I don't think Stern has released real band footage on a rock pin yet, it's all been cartoons.
[quoted image][quoted image]

They also have corresponding album cover next to song selection on lcd.
Tim also said they have tour posters in the game during the various tour modes.

I think it’s pretty cool. Electric magic shows were like a circus, jugglers, plate spinners and trapeze acts during the show. Performing pigs too. Maybe they have video for all of this.

#1753 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

But which pin is the c8 now?[quoted image]

As piss poor as that car is being assembled I would say any new Stern.

#1754 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The holidays can be a very stressful time!
Here's some lovely pictures of a snowy Times Square / Rock Center from last night, to help put you everybody in a majestic and cheerful holiday mood![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

JE-SUS! Look at the shitty art on those billboards, what a bunch of frickin amateurs!

#1755 3 years ago

Heard you can get Expression lighting on a Pro as an add on thru distributor
Anyone else hear this?

#1756 3 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Here is the super jackpot insert:
[quoted image]
Even the outlane inserts, full care and attention:[quoted image]

Can / should I post a bunch of playfield snaps from Data East games so we can all see what REALLY crappy playfield art looks like??

#1757 3 years ago

I had the opportunity to bale on my LE order but decided to roll with it. All just opinions here, but I honestly do not think the art is that bad and I am confident the game will play typical Ritchie fast, which I like. Regarding the blue armor... I think it will look obnoxiously cool as hell between the yellow on my AIQLE and, whenever it arrives, the purple on the GNRCE. I am just hoping for fast and challenging gameplay... like Metallica Pro with the upper diverter disconnected. Fingers crossed for some rock and roll fun!

#1758 3 years ago

It's gonna be fun to flip to Trampled Under Foot. Just sayin'.

#1759 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

Heard you can get Expression lighting on a Pro as an add on thru distributor
Anyone else hear this?

Can’t see how really, if you look at the photos closely it looks like a removable access panel to get at the bulbs so cab would have to be cutout for that you would think.

Would be nice add on for the pro buyers though.

#1760 3 years ago

In still not convinced the lazy art packages were due to licensing restrictions.

This is a Steve Ritchie game. Name me one Ritchie game that has good art? He is a known pinball art sceptic, and refuses to pay anything for art packages, instead using in house graphics design staff.

If anything LZ is probably his best art package to date.

#1761 3 years ago

Hey they kinda look like red pinballs

96E85619-8B2C-4360-8C8F-CEB21B263C75 (resized).jpeg96E85619-8B2C-4360-8C8F-CEB21B263C75 (resized).jpeg
#1762 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

In still not convinced the lazy art packages were due to licensing restrictions.
This is a Steve Ritchie game. Name me one Ritchie game that has good art? He is a known pinball art sceptic, and refuses to pay anything for art packages, instead using in house graphics design staff.

STTNG, Star Trek, BKSOR, High Speed, F14?

#1763 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Good point. My savings keep looking better and better. Keep it up, Stern!

Yeah the upside of it.

#1764 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If MM came out now everybody would say it sucks fucking ass.
Yeah it has a decent art package, but the theme?! THey wouldn't pony up for a REAL Monty Python game so we get this Premier-style knockoff?
Wow. Two flipper fan layout. HOW ORIGINAL! Designer needs to retire.
And the code?!?! WHat did they spend, like 2 weeks on it? Where's the depth? Some Munsters-level shit there.
Also the voices are dumb. Why is there a valley girl? What's with all the dumb dad jokes?
They must think we are stupid! And they hate us! PINBALL FUCKING SUCKS!

Bull - Shit.

#1765 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

STTNG, Star Trek, BKSOR, High Speed, F14?

Ok, BKSOR, forgot about that. The others not so much.

#1766 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If MM came out now everybody would say it sucks fucking ass.
Yeah it has a decent art package, but the theme?! THey wouldn't pony up for a REAL Monty Python game so we get this Premier-style knockoff?
Wow. Two flipper fan layout. HOW ORIGINAL! Designer needs to retire.
And the code?!?! WHat did they spend, like 2 weeks on it? Where's the depth? Some Munsters-level shit there.
Also the voices are dumb. Why is there a valley girl? What's with all the dumb dad jokes?
They must think we are stupid! And they hate us! PINBALL FUCKING SUCKS!

True, but if MM came out today the castle would probably be a piece of plastic lol.

#1767 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Im scratching my head thinking Im taking crazy pill There are 20/21 shots on this game, more than AIQ, for Premium/LE. I love AIQ but folks saying nothing to shoot for on Led Zeppelin need to look at facts:[quoted image]

More standups = more shots = more fun? I disagree.

No offense to Gottlieb, but Target Pool has 30 standups/“shots”:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2502&picno=11526

Are we going to say there’s lots to do there?

#1768 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m mildly amused that people will buy a pin sight unseen just because of the theme. Also sell out LEs without regard to what you are getting for the extra $1800. I’m not complaining more just seems like this happens a lot and yet Stern gets away with it for a good theme. I mean if xyz is a theme some people will throw down $9K no matter what.
I’ve seen Stern get creative with pricing up games like BM66 and Elvira can’t believe they didn’t make 68 SLE of LZ for $15K.

LOL Stern sells there runs of 500 for $2,500 less than JJP

#1769 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

You just felt the need to be a smart ass and sorry if you don’t like me calling you out on it. I gave my opinion and you had to act like a child and a dick.

look in the mirror

#1770 3 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Since Stern seems to have forgotten how to do playfield art or simply just didn’t care for LZ, perhaps an amateur like myself, with no background in art, could provide a bit of insight. Then the “pinball art professionals” who spend full-time on this topic (even a career), and have obviously been trusted with skinning multi-million dollar projects for this growing industry, could learn a few things.
So this morning I was playing my MM (1997) and took a few pics as an example of what pinball art looks like - what those who know anything about this hobby appreciate. At the very least I want to make the point that people used to care - they simply used to give a fck an put effort into playfield art. Now I don’t even care enough to look up the name of the human in charge of art on LZ, but I’ll leave it to you all to judge how much thought and effort he put into his work compared to what was common in 1997 and is even common these days.
So regarding playfield art, the first thing is that the placement, shape and purpose of each insert should be tied into the design of the game from day one.
Next the art around each of those carefully considered inserts ties directly into the surrounding art and even plays a large part in conveying rules and gameplay direction to the player.
Lets begin.
Here are the wizard inserts that are designated by stars:
[quoted image]
Notice how tied into the art they are. Also here is a shot of the other star for wizard (example of conveying rules and telling rhe player what is connected to what)
[quoted image]
Notice the surorunding stars, the scroll for extra ball and troll helmet.
(Continued)

You can't compare the days of non-lincence games to lincenced games

#1771 3 years ago

The Beatles is a tough license by all accounts. The inserts on it are well blended into the other elements. Some are even decorated like records and the kick drum is a giant insert that flashes to the beat.

I’m only an outsider looking in. I’m sure Led Zeppelin were not the best business partners Stern has worked with. But the art is bad no matter how much I try to rationalize and sympathize with the people stuck with making an art package for a band that lacked a lot of visual identity

Heck months ago in some other thread I was wishing whatever artist the best of luck with this theme. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/211#post-5904637

I’m really curious what the LCD is going to look like. The few pieces so far haven’t been too encouraging.

It is what it is

#1772 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Beatles is a tough license by all accounts. The inserts on it are well blended into the other elements. Some are even decorated like records and the kick drum is a giant insert that flashes to the beat.
I’m only an outsider looking in. I’m sure Led Zeppelin were not the best business partners Stern has worked with. But the art is bad no matter how much I try to rationalize and sympathize with the people stuck with making an art package for a band that lacked a lot of visual identity
Heck months ago in some other thread I was wishing whatever artist the best of luck with this theme. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/211#post-5904637
I’m really curious what the LCD is going to look like. The few pieces so far haven’t been too encouraging.
It is what it is

Sure looks like the pf and inserts were set before a art direction and layout were done.

Maybe something happened and plan A got thrown out and plan B didn’t include reworking mechanical and art was forced to fit on the existing playfield

#1773 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This is a Steve Ritchie game. Name me one Ritchie game that has good art?

Black Knight Sword of Rage

#1774 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

True, but if MM came out today the castle would probably be a piece of plastic lol.

Yeah, for the pro model that is $6500..

Quoted from TreyBo69:

It is what it is

Is the art really that bad or have we changed? I laughed at my 18 year old many a morning seeing what mishmash of colors he was wearing. Joke was on this guy- all his friends were looking like that LE. Maybe the clash of colors will draw in the under 30s.

#1775 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Come on man! GOT was gorgeous

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1776 3 years ago

Do you remember how everyone hated the AC/DC pro art package? Everyone hated that big face in the middle so much, It was nick named Facey/DC. The AC/DC art package was berated for a long time buy pinball fans. Stern then decided to make the Luci premium and the pro without the Big face in the middle. So maybe this is what Stern will do later, release a zep with another much improved art package like they did AC/DC Luci.

Why do Steve Ritchie game always have “needs help” art packages? I remember the seminar at TPF when Star trek came out. People asked Greg why was the artwork on the Star Trek playfield so simplistic. It was just basically just color gradients and some grid lines. He said —> that is what Steve wanted. So I’m just saying. You can draw you on conclusions, why zep pro looks like wonder bread and the premium has a lazy art package. It has the same image on every side even the translite and the LE has bight Blue smurf armor. - “ Because that’s what Steve Wanted”.

#1777 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Come on man! GOT was gorgeous

Quoted from phalcon_2600:

Do you remember how everyone hated the AC/DC pro art package? Everyone hated that big face in the middle so much, It was nick named Facey/DC. The AC/DC art package was berated for a long time buy pinball fans. Stern then decided to make the Luci premium and the pro without the Big face in the middle. So maybe this is what Stern will do later, release a zep with another much improved art package like they did AC/DC Luci.
Why do Steve Ritchie game always have “needs help” art packages? I remember the seminar at TPF when Star trek came out. People asked Greg why was the artwork on the Star Trek playfield so simplistic. It was just basically just color gradients and some grid lines. He said —> that is what Steve wanted. So I’m just saying. You can draw you on conclusions, why zep pro looks like wonder bread and the premium has a lazy art package. It has the same image on every side even the translite and the LE has bight Blue smurf armor. - “ Because that’s what Steve Wanted”.

Pretty sure GOT also got some revisions done after the original was released. Didn’t they add some dodgy gradients and texture to the shields or something?

And it still looked crap.

#1778 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Is the art really that bad or have we changed? I laughed at my 18 year old many a morning seeing what mishmash of colors he was wearing. Joke was on this guy- all his friends were looking like that LE. Maybe the clash of colors will draw in the under 30s.

I’m mostly complaining about stuff like the playfield art, the cabinet art is uninspired and repetitive, the pop bumpers caps are the same thing, the sling shots are practically blank, etc

Stuff like the blue armor color clash is the least of my criticism.

#1779 3 years ago

I like unicorn JPJ!

JPJ_Unicorn (resized).PNGJPJ_Unicorn (resized).PNG
#1780 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I like unicorn JPJ!
[quoted image]

He holds No Quarterhorse.

#1781 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I like unicorn JPJ!
[quoted image]

That one bothers me more than any other. Just move the damn circle and photo. There’s plenty of room in that area.

#1782 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

That one bothers me more than any other. Just move the damn circle and photo. There’s plenty of room in that area.

The really should have a stuffed an insert or two in Plant's pants.

Not that there's any room in there, am I right?!

#1783 3 years ago

“and she’s buying a stairway to heaven”....... “and this pinball is screaming disappointment”..... the art is sad and uninspired, the game layout looks like your average bland 1970’s game, only thing good is the music but then you can better buy a greatest hit cd for $5 at the gasstation... The pinball disappointment of this century for me.... I am not a hater so if you get one, please enjoy it.

PS Artwork LE by Saul Goodman?

F4C44946-3E75-41CF-9FEF-57CD0885EDCF (resized).jpegF4C44946-3E75-41CF-9FEF-57CD0885EDCF (resized).jpeg
#1784 3 years ago

Here’s a topper!

DAA25678-E2FB-422B-8C43-409430048B47 (resized).jpegDAA25678-E2FB-422B-8C43-409430048B47 (resized).jpeg
#1785 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Pros can be had for 5800

#1786 3 years ago
#1787 3 years ago

Did someone day Saul Goodman? Yes we need a Breaking Bad pin!!!

#1788 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You have a time stamp where he specifically says the bulk of “ the fun and planned rules” aren’t in the game at all or even begun to developed yet?
I listened twice and don’t recall him saying that other than the co op mode, might possibly adjust time to complete song and some other tweaks.
I think the meat and potatoes are already there and tomorrow’s stream is supposed to be on the LE which is good.

I have listened three times now. If you took a bathroom break between minute 32 and 35 you’d have missed my points. I think this covers all

32:06 - 32:11 - code # is ?

32:12 - 32:16 - code is missing a few things that are planned.

32:17 - 32.33 - he needs to get the game done first, and then add co-op.

33:34 - 34:50 - he is still playing around with rules on HOW TO qualify the final mode.

33:51 - 34:01 - he is getting feedback and ideas from Stern’s Keith & Raymond and from beta testers.

34:21 - 34:33 - we’ll dial it in and we need more releases before we get to 1.0 code.

I think he says that two of the ten songs are not fully done or are not in, but I can’t locate that.

Reading between the lines and going unsaid - there is much to be done. Depending on how much support Tim gets from Stern for a title that has been released, is yet to be seen. So if it ends up being one guy supporting him, it could take six months in my estimation. He is not going to say I’ve got a shitload of work, the game has technical issues, a bug is causing it to crash, I don’t know how to create a certain effect, assets are missing etc. No, the code has a long ways to go, period. What am I missing?

We’ll be able to see for ourselves with the stream this Friday. Of course, am more pessimistic about it than you, my friend.

Edit - my understanding is that when the rules for qualifying and playing a final wizard mode are in flux, the entire structure of the game is also in flux and it is susceptible to dramatic changes.

#1789 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Best drama ever. Hands down.

#1790 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Imagine the Heisenberg Mode....

#1791 3 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

Here’s a topper!
[quoted image]

That looks really nice and I like your style. I might have to get one instead of a LZ pin. But if you took your idea and blew it up in scale, wouldn’t it be better to have a zeppelin flying over your house that advertised rotating album covers, as the game topper? For 2.8 x Stern’s topper price, you’d have this one to proudly fly over your house.
7FE02DEE-3397-4F6C-AE83-FC7DF3D154F8 (resized).jpeg7FE02DEE-3397-4F6C-AE83-FC7DF3D154F8 (resized).jpeg

#1793 3 years ago

SW pro comic edition is one of the nicest looking pins ever. I got the premium comic but the pro has the better art imo.

#1794 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

AC/DC Luci has killer art.

#1795 3 years ago

If if designed a machine why would I want the gameplay to be over shadowed by aesthetics? Is the arguably weak art on his recent games by his design? If it is, then that is the real art.

Well played Mr Ritchie.

#1796 3 years ago

Art is at the bottom of my list of how I rate games. Nothing is lower. Some of the greatest games I’ve ever played look like absolute hell.

Someone said it really well before. You got the people that care how a game looks, and the others that care how a game plays.

I like to play them. .

#1797 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Art is at the bottom of my list of how I rate games. Nothing is lower. Some of the greatest games I’ve ever played look like absolute hell.
Someone said it really well before. You got the people that care how a game looks, and the others that care how a game plays.
I like to play them. .

Yeah but lots of other recent Sterns have looked way better than this.

#1798 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah but lots of other recent Sterns have looked way better than this.

100% agree. I still cared about the gameplay exponentially more on them.

#1799 3 years ago
Quoted from Diamond:

AC/DC Luci has killer art.

Doesnt count because:
A) It's highly debatable whether it is "Killer Art" and B) It's a vault release that Ritchie would have had no say in and art wouldn't have come out of his BOM budget.

I'm with chuckwurt - art is relatively low on my priority list. If Ritchie sais to the beancounters at Stern - "take the art budget off my BOM and I'll add something else to the game that makes a difference to gameplay", then more power to him. Not seeing what that might be on LZ, but might be surprised once I play it.

#1800 3 years ago

I'll happily sell you a brand new one for $6,100. I'll sell you two for $6,050/ea!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.99
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 68.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/36?hl=malibro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.