E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 68.
#1651 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah good points on the wizard modes. They have to have some music there. Interested to see what that is.

Aren't the wizard modes in Maiden also songs you could already be playing if you chose them at the start?

#1652 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah good points on the wizard modes. They have to have some music there. Interested to see what that is.

Yeah. I get the surprise but now its a marketing negative. Announce it and let people know what they are working towards. Hell I suck so may never see it with the glass on

#1653 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I want to know what music is in the multi balls too. Usually they're different, like KISS w/Love Gun and Calling Dr. Love.

#1654 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I want to know what music is in the multi balls too. Usually they're different, like KISS w/Love Gun and Calling Dr. Love.

So the Multiballs are all tour modes so I’m guessing same music integrated with footage and tour posters from the respective tours.

Example electric magic shows were like a circus atmosphere with some cool posters, I’m guessing we get some of that for electric magic multiball.

#1655 3 years ago

Led Zep has made me curious about one thing, what other mechs could you have rise out a playfield? A kickback could really change a games layout and shots.

#1656 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In Tims interviews they will play within any song being played, so i don't expect unique music. But the wiz modes are after all 10 are done. I cannot believe they would mash up as songs there. Maybe live performances but that would be redundant. Everyone ping Tim on the Facebook stream .... what is the wizard mode music !

#1657 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Yeah. I get the surprise but now its a marketing negative. Announce it and let people know what they are working towards. Hell I suck so may never see it with the glass on

Does anyone know what happens on JJP GNR wizard mode yet? Shit POTC doesn’t even have one but when it gets coded I expect it to be really good.

#1658 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Led Zep has made me curious about one thing, what other mechs could you have rise out a playfield? A kickback could really change a games layout and shots.

This mech can sorta do that. Tim mentioned coding to catch and lower ball and throwing back at player after caught. I love AIQ but Im more psyched on this mech then the portal spinner.

#1659 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I thought for sure there would be a mechanical ramp that rose up out of PF for the Stairway to heaven shot, obviously not the case!

If Stern was able to make a pirate ship rise and sink back in 2006 surely they could have done something with the Zeppelin.

#1660 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So the Multiballs are all tour modes so I’m guessing same music integrated with footage and tour posters from the respective tours.
Example electric magic shows were like a circus atmosphere with some cool posters, I’m guessing we get some of that for electric magic multiball.

Yeah this is what has me a little skeptical on code. Granted Maiden is my only recent music pin experience, but I like starting a song but then having different tracks come in via modes - breaks up the repetition. But on that interview Tim said you're always in song mode, which makes me wonder if you pick Rock n Roll, for example, then start Zeppelin Multiball, is it still just Rock n Roll? That might feel a bit flat but we shall see.

#1661 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

In Tims interviews they will play within any song being played, so i don't expect unique music. But the wiz modes are after all 10 are done. I cannot believe they would mash up as songs there. Maybe live performances but that would be redundant. Everyone ping Tim on the Facebook stream .... what is the wizard mode music !

When I first saw the insert art for the Wizard modes I saw the Zepp logo with the question mark and immediately thought of Dazed and Confused with crazy light show, it is from the LZ 1 album.

Then i saw the other insert called top of the charts and thought that can only mean something with Stairway to heaven.

I’m obviously looking at this from the perspective of a LZ fan!

#1662 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Yeah this is what has me a little skeptical on code. Granted Maiden is my only recent music pin experience, but I like starting a song but then having different tracks come in via modes - breaks up the repetition. But on that interview Tim said you're always in song mode, which makes me wonder if you pick Rock n Roll, for example, then start Zeppelin Multiball, is it still just Rock n Roll? That might feel a bit flat but we shall see.

Similar to how your always in GNR song with multiballs?

#1663 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

There is a huge divide in pinball between the people who barely play and only care about looks and bling VS players that could care less as long it plays great.

You nailed it sir

#1664 3 years ago

edit: already covered

#1665 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Similar to how your always in GNR song with multiballs?

But you qualify those songs after some intro play where there are random backing tracks right? I'm actually not a huge fan of that either (would prefer proper songs) but it's not the same song for the whole ball afaik.

#1666 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I like how they utilized the music in the Stones. Song for ball 1/2/3 and then depending on what modes you start get different songs, songs totally unique to the Multiballs and song dedicated to the wizard mode.

#1667 3 years ago

Anyone have any ideas what the second switch in shooter lane could be for?

#1668 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Im scratching my head thinking Im taking crazy pill There are 20/21 shots on this game, more than AIQ, for Premium/LE. I love AIQ but folks saying nothing to shoot for on Led Zeppelin need to look at facts:[quoted image]

Only because you are counting individual standups as 'shots' - which is non-sense.

#1669 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I've played both GnR Standard and LE and didn't find either one that great. Yes they look awesome and have great theme integration but that will only get you so far. Fat Axl looks horrible on the display but maybe that gets some of you off.

Once the honeymoon stage is over and people's arms hurt from the up and down motion of the axe and looking at Fat Axle too long causing nightmares it may open up their eyes to LZ. Time will tell

#1670 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

On the premium I see two airships on the apron, an airship on the playfield, an airship on an insert, a toy airship, one airship on the back glass and a couple on the side art. Now I’m airship-ed the fuck out at this point but there’s more.

Quote of the month!

And I agree ... the slingshot stuff is bizarre. It makes me wonder if they are gonna sell 'upgraded plastics' now as accessories.

#1671 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Only because you are counting individual standups as 'shots' - which is non-sense.

Its not nonsense. A shot is a fn shot. So 1 standup to you equals a bank of 4? If you say yes then you must love Borg mono target banks

#1672 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Quote of the month!
And I agree ... the slingshot stuff is bizarre. It makes me wonder if they are gonna sell 'upgraded plastics' now as accessories.

Someone will need to make a replacement slingshot plastic mod with art retaining the same coloring or at the very minimum some sort of decal.

#1673 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Someone will need to make a replacement slingshot plastic mod with art retaining the same coloring or at the very minimum some sort of decal.

Thinking black and clear decal of Page and Plant

#1674 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone have any ideas what the second switch in shooter lane could be for?

Eliminates playfield validation shenanigans

#1675 3 years ago

I've never looked into getting anything licensed, but I'm sure it's not fun.

My question is, why pursue a license from a licensee that puts heavy limitations on what you are trying to create? I can understand protecting the license, but to just accept a folder of clip art and not have any wiggle room for your own creativity must leave you feeling deflated. For me, having limits like this would take away any excitement before I even got started, especially if you are a huge fan of said license.

Also, this is Stern, who has a proven track record, who has proven they can do amazing things when given room to. They can do artwork.

Is it solely because of money? It can't be. Never mind, it is.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1676 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

This mech can sorta do that. Tim mentioned coding to catch and lower ball and throwing back at player after caught. I love AIQ but Im more psyched on this mech then the portal spinner.

I’m a huge fan of magnets in pinball but I don’t know if you could really replicate a kickback with a magnet throw?

Espeically inside something with such a small housing, would love to be proved wrong. It would be great on Zep if that mech can throw it back at you fast, as well as lock the ball plus the spinner that would be killer!

Although I still kinda wish it lined up with the centre ramp, shooting through a rising spinner to the ramp would be super satisfying.

#1677 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Art is always subjective. I don't care for Aerosmith one bit. It's just too busy and don't care for the cartoony look.

I think the point of the illustration is not about liking the AS art or not - but looking at the techniques and differences in how the art integrates with the physical aspects of the playfield. Aerosmith has extra value in a comparison because it is another band game where the number of iconic images associated with the band is limited. So with a limited portfolio to work from, where do you go? AS is an example where they had to create so much in both art and multimedia. They took that 70s era peak of Aerosmith's breakout and built from there.

Quoted from jawjaw:

LZ is not a 10 out of 10 for artwork obviously but it's not a zero either. Stern has done far worse. No doubt Stern was limited so no use bashing them to death over it. Nobody here, including the so called experts, know what Stern went through to get this pin out the door.

But it does beg the question... if it were to be so limiting, should they had proceeded? Should they have questioned the viability and stopped?

The one saving grace is... when GoT was launched, everyone thought it was the ugliest baby we've seen. Eventually everyone forgot about the artwork because they liked playing the game. Now, people rarely talk about the gears everywhere, the ugly shield, the colors, etc.

Maybe LZ's playability will be good enough to earn the same kind of pass... but LZ certainly hits new lows for Stern in terms of art direction and levels of tolerance. Did Greg Freres checkout or what?

#1678 3 years ago

If Stern was so limited on the art package due to licensing stuff they should just have said "fck it, let's do another game" and dropped LZ completely imo. A half assed, super-ugly pin is worse than none at all.

I 100% agree with the previous comments about inserts and stuff not fitting to the playfield art at all. Also those boring slingshot plastics and a few symbols/images overused 200 times all over the game. Simply a crap job in the art department.

#1679 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Its not nonsense. A shot is a fn shot. So 1 standup to you equals a bank of 4? If you say yes then you must love Borg mono target banks

Shots in this context are more like 'objectives' in the geometry. You don't count a ramp with standups guarding the entrance as 3 shots. That is some literal interpretation that has zero applicability to the whole point people bring up 'shots' in the first place.. which is looking at the diversity and breath in a playfield's layout.

When you look at ACDC's layout.. you see a 'TNT target bank' you don't say "There are three different TNT shots!"

Shot maps are about things you are aiming for - you don't count each target individually in that discussion.

#1680 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Its not nonsense. A shot is a fn shot.

I just can't get behind the idea that 3 stand up targets in a single bank is equal to 2 ramps and an orbit as far as numbers of shots. I know I wouldn't count the left ramp on GB or TMNT as 3 shots: ramp itself plus two standups. But it does bring up an interesting question about what counts as a "shot." I would argue that code implementation matters too.

Quoted from PinBalt:

If you say yes then you must love Borg mono target banks

I know this wasn't directed at me but yes, I do like the mono target on TMNT the way that it is implemented in the code. Plus, instead of a plastic target, you get a metal one so that's a plus.

#1681 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When you look at ACDC's layout.. you see a 'TNT target bank' you don't say "There are three different TNT shots!"

There’s 4.

#1682 3 years ago

It’ll be a fun enough shooter that stayed within budget. Complimentary drops for LED to match ZEP just stand out to me as another area that could have been more compelling.

#1683 3 years ago

Can you hit a ramp or orbit through the lift spinner. The video seems to show the ball just kinda rattling around after it goes through. It just seems kinda lame, the ball needs to travel to make a spinner satisfying.

#1684 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

It’ll be a fun enough shooter. Complimentary drops for LED to match ZEP just stand out to me as another area that could have been more compelling.

I agree, when I first saw the photos I was like wow lots of drops to only find 3.

Pre/LE should have been all drops.

Maybe this can be modded like Ac/dc?

#1685 3 years ago

The black and white of the premium is nice. I think it will go well with the basic armor that ships. Maybe a different translight?
Still looking forward to a livestream.

#1686 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Can you hit a ramp or orbit through the lift spinner. The video seems to show the ball just kinda rattling around after it goes through. It just seems kinda lame, the ball needs to travel to make a spinner satisfying.

It appears to mostly hit the icarus target. I wish it lined up with the ramp instead.

#1687 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Not quite sure, camera angle sucked but it does show it go straight through to the Icarus target.

It’s an opto spinner so it probably rips good like on Beatles.

The other spinner opto as well?

#1688 3 years ago

Left orbit goes all the way around to 3rd flipper?

If yes, a fast left orbit to upper flipper then hot shot ramp could be a cool combo.

#1689 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It appears to mostly hit the icarus target. I wish it lined up with the ramp instead.

I thought I heard Jack Danger said he could rip the spinner into the center ramp.

I’m mostly looking forward to seeing the center ramp shot made from the upper flipper. There’s a rubber wall right next to the center ramp above the side ramp/standup target. I guess it’s supposed to be like the snikt bank shot into a ramp.

#1690 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I just can't get behind the idea that 3 stand up targets in a single bank is equal to 2 ramps and an orbit as far as numbers of shots. I know I wouldn't count the left ramp on GB or TMNT as 3 shots: ramp itself plus two standups. But it does bring up an interesting question about what counts as a "shot." I would argue that code implementation matters too.

Sure, in the idea of rules/objectives of the game.. number of targets matters (and why the monotarget vs 3 bank is a bummer). And when you talk about 'how interesting/valuable' something is.. the rules/sw play a big role. But when talking shot layout and layout diversity.. nah. You don't go around counting switches on the game It's just being literal while ignoring the intent.

#1691 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I thought I heard Jack Danger said he could rip the spinner into the center ramp.
I’m mostly looking forward to seeing the center ramp shot made from the upper flipper. There’s a rubber wall right next to the center ramp above the side ramp/standup target. I guess it’s supposed to be like the snikt bank shot into a ramp.

That shot would have to be made from right flipper I guess and the icarus target possibly from both?

Seems like the right flipper angle and path to center ramp is only way.

#1692 3 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

The art package is really poor compared to any games released lately (playfield included). The premium is probably the laziest I’ve ever seen, probably looks like 5min tops work, same pic everywhere.
Now Aerosmith is the *kind* of art that Stern is capable of doing and this is what I was expecting - a proper and respectful treatment of this iconic band - not some phoned in lazy slop.
So here it is, imagine just taking the same art approach for Led Zep as for Aerosmith by people who actually care about making something special. Imagine what the art on Led Zep could have looked like if someone cared.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
This is what Stern is capable of. Look at how the LE pops and everything goes together (including armor). Look at the playfield art.
So what the fk happened here w LZ? Fk. What a shame.
Now look how fn stupid this looks in comparison:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I like to hold off judgement on these things until I get to see / play it in person but one thing that jumps out in this comparison is how LZ is more like some old-school Ritchie / pinball art in that there are "lanes" (for lack of a better term) helping you understand the shot geometry all the way down into the middle of the playfield. I'm sure there are tons of examples of this but High Speed immediately comes to mind (probably because I owned it for 20 years). Aerosmith has none of that, if it's a good thing or bad thing is certainly subjective but I could see the LZ style really helpful for newer players trying to understand where the ball should go and what angle off the flipper it needs to be to get it there.

#1693 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I've never looked into getting anything licensed, but I'm sure it's not fun.
My question is, why pursue a license from a licensee that puts heavy limitations on what you are trying to create? I can understand protecting the license, but to just accept a folder of clip art and not have any wiggle room for your own creativity must leave you feeling deflated. For me, having limits like this would take away any excitement before I even got started, especially if you are a huge fan of said license.
Also, this is Stern, who has a proven track record, who has proven they can do amazing things when given room to. They can do artwork.
Is it solely because of money? It can't be. Never mind, it is.

The only people that know the real deal are the people closest to the project and negotiation. From where we sit, it's impossible to "blame" the licensee. If SR games are commonly criticized for less-than-great art, he is either getting the bad luck of the draw OR it's not something he chooses to focus on (or have an eye for). The game designers @ Stern seem to have ultimate responsibility for what is produced. In larger tech/media companies, there would be someone above the designer/director that might have influence or veto power over the creative process (for good or bad).

Since Stern is a manufacturing powerhouse, all they want to do is crank them out, since they sell every game they make. The quality of anything doesn't seem to matter in today's ever expanding home market. For years, Gary poopooed the home market, but thanks to us, Stern is thriving despite COVID raging!

I'm glad not every game is as good as Stern's JP2...a masterpiece. I'm happy if 1 game per year is stunning...my collection is large enough!

#1694 3 years ago

This would be more suited on a headstone in a cemetery!

HEADSTONE (2) (resized).jpegHEADSTONE (2) (resized).jpeg
#1695 3 years ago

I feel like there are two different games meshed into one art wise for pro/premium. The cabinet album art is such a stark difference from the playfield and vice versa.

They should have kept the playfield colors muted and maybe go the route like was done with Centaur with black and white with some red thrown in.

I did art all through grade school, high school, and some college before joining the military. There is just no balance or cohesion in the art like you get with Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Metallica.

It’s like there was one artist for the cabinet and one for the playfield and both went in opposite directions and then someone stitched the two together.

I know art doesn’t effect gameplay positively or negatively, but these pins are so prominent in ones room they are looked at like a painting on a wall, or a nice piece of furniture. When I walk into my house and see Monster Bash and BKSOR premium it definitely is satisfying and adds something to the game and room for me.

Aerosmith art I just totally love. Great representation of the psychedelic 70’s and of the band. Art is subjective I know, but with LZ it just doesn’t work for me.

Should have been all black and white with some red and yellows for highlights on the Playfield to go with the cabinet or add the same color pallet from the current playfield to the cabinet. Just my opinion.

#1696 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The only people that know the real deal are the people closest to the project and negotiation. From where we sit, it's impossible to "blame" the licensee. If SR games are commonly criticized for less-than-great art, he is either getting the bad luck of the draw OR it's not something he chooses to focus on (or have an eye for). The game designers @ Stern seem to have ultimate responsibility for what is produced. In larger tech/media companies, there would be someone above the designer/director that might have influence or veto power over the creative process (for good or bad).
Since Stern is a manufacturing powerhouse, all they want to do is crank them out, since they sell every game they make. The quality of anything doesn't seem to matter in today's ever expanding home market. For years, Gary poopooed the home market, but thanks to us, Stern is thriving despite COVID raging!
I'm glad not every game is as good as Stern's JP2...a masterpiece. I'm happy if 1 game per year is stunning...my collection is large enough!

Good point. My savings keep looking better and better. Keep it up, Stern!

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I feel like there are two different games meshed into one art wise for pro/premium. The cabinet album art is such a stark difference from the playfield and vice versa.
They should have kept the playfield colors muted and maybe go the route like was done with Centaur with black and white with some red thrown in.
I did art all through grade school, high school, and some college before joining the military. There is just no balance or cohesion in the art like you get with Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Metallica.
It’s like there was one artist for the cabinet and one for the playfield and both went in opposite directions and then someone stitched the two together.
I know art doesn’t effect gameplay positively or negatively, but these pins are so prominent in ones room they are looked at like a painting on a wall, or a nice piece of furniture. When I walk into my house and see Monster Bash and BKSOR premium it definitely is satisfying and adds something to the game and room for me.
Aerosmith art I just totally love. Great representation of the psychedelic 70’s and of the band. Art is subjective I know, but with LZ it just doesn’t work for me.
Should have been all black and white with some red and yellows for highlights on the Playfield to go with the cabinet or add the same color pallet from the current playfield to the cabinet. Just my opinion.

Ya. Black and white worked great on munsters, cant give those away

#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Ya. Black and white worked great on munsters, cant give those away

The gameplay was the issue jackass with Munsters. Premium black and white munsters is sold out btw. The artwork on munsters BW premium was great but the game play was meh as is the code. Try to comprehend and keep up with what I was talking about. I was strictly talking about LZ from an art perspective which you apparently lack to see. People like you that are passive aggressive are pathetic.

#1699 3 years ago

Wow man relax. The black and white prem was a dud. The color version was a beautiful game, but was lackluster in play. Its ok, calm down

#1700 3 years ago

All this licensing talk had me thinking that a “ monsters of rock “ type theme would be sweet , assuming licensing was possible . A song or two from 5 or 6 big bands , integrated into one “ concert” theme . Wonder if it would be any cheaper to go that route ? “World Series of Rock “ if you will.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 65.99
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

5,286 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 68.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/34?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.