E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 68.
#1051 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Repetitive play is stagnant play IMO.

It's a catch 22

I originally did not care for the linear modes on Ghostbusters-then as I got better and progressed further it became really rewarding and now getting to Stay Puff feels like a true accomplishment. Sometimes GB can be a bitch and really kick you in the nuts with drains. I now would not want GB to be random-it would lose the challenge for me.

I think the same will go for LZ, although I would not be surprised if they changed code to random to appease the location play people who want to hear other songs.

I would prefer it stay as a ladder style mode

#1052 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Watch the accessories video, I think your wrong. Song selection appears on the lcd as a juke box flipping through the songs with respective album art. Looks good IMO.

Just quoting the Thisweekinpinball article....

"Your progress through songs is something unique and something never done in a music game. Each song is divided into “sections” (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, etc.) and each of those sections have their own rules to show which shots are available. If you “finish” a song, it will automatically transition to the next song. It plays the songs in the order of the list on the back panel.

Each song has a threshold of completing it, up to “Platinum”. Completing a song at the Platinum threshold is approximately twice as difficult as completing the game at the easiest threshold."

They would be insane to do linear play in a music themed pin. You may be able to change at the beginning, but it just steps through to next song during play.

#1054 3 years ago

"It plays the songs in the order of the list on the back panel"

Cue the 'who brought the dog' complaints!

#1055 3 years ago

I like the layout, looks like a great game.
I'm not a LEDZ fan same with music pins.
I go for a Stern Jp (my first Stern game).

#1056 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Just quoting the Thisweekinpinball article....
"Your progress through songs is something unique and something never done in a music game. Each song is divided into “sections” (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, etc.) and each of those sections have their own rules to show which shots are available. If you “finish” a song, it will automatically transition to the next song. It plays the songs in the order of the list on the back panel.
Each song has a threshold of completing it, up to “Platinum”. Completing a song at the Platinum threshold is approximately twice as difficult as completing the game at the easiest threshold."
They would be insane to do linear play in a music themed pin. You may be able to change at the beginning, but it just steps through to next song during play.

You can start game with whatever song you want but maybe since it’s all depicted as a jukebox on the screen if shuffles like a juke.
No idea, looking forward to a video to see progression and how these tour modes are worked in along with the wizards modes.

#1057 3 years ago

I hope the best for Tim Sexton and his code ideas. The TWIP article mentions some new ideas with how they want to integrate modes, songs, lightshows and how to coordinate all the elements.

My biggest issue with music pins is best demonstrated by ACDC. I don't necessarily want the song and the mode to be tied together, particularly on a game like this where I don't want to own one and will mostly only play it in a competitive format. I like that the song doesn't matter on Iron Maiden. And oh brother if the songs are in a set order.... At the same time, I do really wish that there was a better orchestration between the different elements.

It's a tough position to be in.

I didn't think BK SOR was incredible, but I did think it was a solid game rules wise with some nice lighting effects. So I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be a solid competitive game.

#1058 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You can start game with whatever song you want but maybe since it’s all depicted as a jukebox on the screen if shuffles like a juke.

So same as AC/DC

#1059 3 years ago

I think Stern's problem lately is it feels like they just take a design and just slap a theme on it VS. taking a theme and building a design around the theme.

This layout could be for any band or any theme really. This is just a pinball machine with some Led Zeppelin stuff on it. I say that as a huge Led Zep fan.

#1060 3 years ago

I understand that the art isn’t what most hoped but looking at all three I think they’d certainly stand out in a line up. I quite like the art. My biggest concern is what the upper flipper shoots.

#1061 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No idea, looking forward to a video to see progression and how these tour modes are worked in along with the wizards modes.

Yeah we'll have to see. My whole point for me personally, is that I prefer randomized play & player focused choices in rule design.

#1062 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah we'll have to see

He is right you cant have a ladder mode with 10 modes-player will choose

#1063 3 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

I think Stern's problem lately is it feels like they just take a design and just slap a theme on it VS. taking a theme and building a design around the theme.
This layout could be for any band or any theme really. This is just a pinball machine with some Led Zeppelin stuff on it. I say that as a huge Led Zep fan.

You could do the same thing with JJP's Guns & Roses. Any rock band layout would be similar. Drum sticks return ramp? Upper stage? Symbols as pop bumpers? Moving spot lights?

See, it's the same for any rock band.

#1064 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

You could do the same thing with JJP's Guns & Roses. Any rock band layout would be similar. Drum sticks return ramp? Upper stage? Symbols as pop bumpers? Moving spot lights?
See, it's the same for any rock band.

LZ doesn't even have anything that's rock band specific, though! The only real custom mech is the rising spinner, which is cool but doesn't have any obvious connection to the theme.

#1065 3 years ago

Do the Premium/LEs have all inserts as full rgb? I noticed the difference in "software controlled rgb less" in the feature matrix. At first I thought it was the side rail lighting that made the difference, but then I noticed there is a 2nd entry on the matrix for the sideighting.

#1066 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I read it, and one thing leaped right out at me.....
IT PLAYS THE SONGS IN THE ORDER OF THE LIST ON THE BACK PANEL
Woof! Hope everyone likes hearing "Good times Bad Times" about a MILLION times. Have they learned nothing from "Ok who brought the dog?" and the mistakes of linear mode play? Switch the song order up with some switch hits or allow player to select.
Repetitive play is stagnant play IMO.
[quoted image]

Edited the TWIP article for clarity:

Each song is divided into “sections” (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, etc.) and each of those sections have their own rules to show which shots are available. If you “finish” a song, it will automatically transition to the next song.

You choose which song you want on each ball, then it plays the songs in the order of the list on the back panel.

Each song has a threshold of completing it, up to “Platinum”. Completing a song at the Platinum threshold is approximately twice as difficult as completing the game at the easiest threshold.

#1067 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Who brought the Black Dog?!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1068 3 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

LZ doesn't even have anything that's rock band specific, though! The only real custom mech is the rising spinner, which is cool but doesn't have any obvious connection to the theme.

Singers don't enter onto stages from rising platforms?

The 96 RGB side lights mimic concert lighting.

METAL ramps? (A must in any rock game)

#1069 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Edited the TWIP article for clarity:
Each song is divided into “sections” (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, etc.) and each of those sections have their own rules to show which shots are available. If you “finish” a song, it will automatically transition to the next song.
You choose which song you want on each ball, then it plays the songs in the order of the list on the back panel.
Each song has a threshold of completing it, up to “Platinum”. Completing a song at the Platinum threshold is approximately twice as difficult as completing the game at the easiest threshold.

Hmmm, will have to see vids for how this plays out. I like how you pick a song on Maiden as your general jam track then qualify and start other songs as the modes, and LZ kinda sounds like if you pick a certain song you're locked into a certain play progression. I suppose you switch it up when you drain and can choose which song to start with for easier achievements etc.?

#1070 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

"Your progress through songs is something unique and something never done in a music game. Each song is divided into “sections” (verse, chorus, solo, bridge, etc.) and each of those sections have their own rules to show which shots are available.

Huh....interesting.

#1071 3 years ago

just secured a premium! i really like the pro and premium artwork. the LE is very shocking in a good way but its not my preference...also, i dont buy LE versions. premium or bust! (although i do have a star wars and tron pro)

now, with the complaints about dad-rock themes...obvs the older crowd has the means to buy into the hobby. but here are some music pin ideas for modern bands/artists

daft punk (yes, i know there is tron)
radiohead
beck
u2
queens of the stone age
white stripes

#1072 3 years ago

I got really excited when I heard about a LZ theme. Now I’m starting to think it’s AC/DC 2.0

Which has kept me from beating down my dealers door. I know I’m going to get some heat for saying this, but Steve Ritchie is not on my Top 5 list of modern pinball designers

When is Elwin doing ‘Slayer’ ??

#1073 3 years ago

HYPE/SPAM

Available now for All-Access Insiders, listen to this panel discussion with the Led Zeppelin team including lead game designer Steve Ritchie, lead software programmer Tim Sexton, lead mechanical engineer John Rotharmel, mechanical engineers Elliot Eismin and Robb Blakeman, and lead artist Stephen Jensen as they dive into their collaborative approach in bringing this iconic rock band to life in this pinball concert experience on episode 10 of the Stern Insider Pinball Podcast!
For Basic Insiders, this episode will become available in 72 hours and can be listened to here:

https://sternpinball.com/account/

53A45B99-6D2F-4B7F-8A9F-9429BE30584E (resized).png53A45B99-6D2F-4B7F-8A9F-9429BE30584E (resized).png
#1074 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

its doesn't you select the song at each ball

#1075 3 years ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

...but Steve Richie is not on my Too 5 list.

So you don't like fast flowing pinball.

Got it.

#1076 3 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

For Basic Insiders, this episode will become available in 72 hours and can be listened to here:
https://sternpinball.com/account/[quoted image]

72 hours? Why not just punch me in the crotch?

#1077 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Does the Icarus sculpt have the post shoved up his ass? Looks painful.

It's an atrocious idea for a toy, but putting something on it to slow it coming back down would make it look much better. Fast up, slow down would make it suck a little less. Just a little, though.

Or, maybe just grab a frog off EHOH and put it there.

#1078 3 years ago
Quoted from raycasual:

just secured a premium! i really like the pro and premium artwork. the LE is very shocking in a good way but its not my preference...also, i dont buy LE versions. premium or bust! (although i do have a star wars and tron pro)
now, with the complaints about dad-rock themes...obvs the older crowd has the means to buy into the hobby. but here are some music pin ideas for modern bands/artists
daft punk (yes, i know there is tron)
radiohead
beck
u2
queens of the stone age
white stripes

Daft punk would be so awesome. Doubt it'll ever happen though

Queens of the stone age would be some great pin music but I'm not sure about an entire pin.

All the other ones I don't personally see the songs translating to pinball enough. Not enough energy. U2 just straight up sucks lol

I like dad rock pins despite being on the younger side. I don't understand what all the negativity towards them is, but it usually comes from people who don't buy games anyway. Can't dispute the fact that they sell.

#1079 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Why not just punch me in the crotch?

Okay, but wish you were closer.

#1080 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

So you don't like fast flowing pinball.
Got it.

Sorry, Steve. Nothing personal

#1081 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Nobody can complain when they get their games, it's *exactly* like it was shown on the brochure...

LOL no one has had the right to bitch for years as all games Stern and JJP seem to have issues now. Just look how long it took for the first pic's of chipping and pooling on G&R

#1082 3 years ago

I haven't read all the reactions on the thread, but I'm in on an LE and am somewhat disappointed. It's not that the artwork is bad, but it's missing the WOW factor I so bad wanted. LZ is an epic theme and was so hoping for something that blew me away.

Then again, I was worried about the artwork when JJP announced GNR, but when I saw the reveal I was pleasantly surprised. With LZ I was hoping for the same, they just missed the mark on this one.

#1083 3 years ago

I've been a Zeppelin fan for 37 years. I'm now 52 and I think this looks like great fun. As a fan of their music, I would have a great time playing this pinball machine. The album artwork on the base and middle model are pretty neat ideas. The top level trim art work seems overly bright. I like the Swan Song Records logo, but it seems like it is used a little too much. The price of these things really depresses me. I would love to own one, but I'd rather buy a used car and an old Ms. Pac-Man. I get it that the technology in these new pinballs is pretty neat. I'm not sure I would ever get $9,199 worth of enjoyment/entertainment out of the Zeppelin pinball machine. I do appreciate that it happened and became a reality. I hope I can play it someplace in 2021.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1084 3 years ago
Quoted from speedxde:

steve ritchie has destroyed his life's work, what were those days when he designed the terminator

not the case.

#1085 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Why not just punch me in the crotch?

Oh good I can use my playing Iron Man with open out-lanes pic

IM.jpgIM.jpg
#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm not sure I would ever get $9,199 worth of enjoyment/entertainment out of the Zeppelin pinball machine.

Well get a pro for 3.5K less.

#1087 3 years ago

LZ is in awesome band. I don't particularly like their music, but I don't climb down the ladder to change the station if one of their songs come on the radio.

Looks like a standard Stern. Looking forward to playing on location, when that is a thing again.

#1088 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

So this turned out more or less how I expected: a Zeppelin game on a budget.
No Stairway. No Dazed and Confused. No art from Led Zeppelin II, IV or Physical Graffiti. Albums 1 and 3 are good, but 3 certainly isn't considered iconic like those others. Hell, doesn't look like much custom art at all, just a photoshop collage of Zeppelin assets. Only 10 musical tracks total. *NOTHING* custom developed for this theme, instead we get a recycled leaper toy from Elvis. What exactly about the angle dude says "Jump?!" It's like they realized the pro was completely barren, so Steve recycled something easy just so there could be a Zeppelin-themed sculpt somewhere. Oh, a plastic blimp as well.
Can't say I'm really disappointed, because after BK:SOR I definitely wasn't expecting much. It'll be fun enough to play on location as I save up for KME #4 but I doubt I ever buy one unless the code is incredible.

Icarus flew too close to the sun so his man-made wings/feathers attached with wax melted off and he fell to the sea and drowned.

#1089 3 years ago

Not quite sure what all the Debbie Downers were expecting... it’s a f—-ing pinball machine.

Guaranteed this is going to be a really fun shooter. Lots of shot paths from the likes of AC/DC and Star Trek. Light show is probably going to be great in person... tunes will be epic.

This theme is going to sell like gang busters

#1090 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Not quite sure what all the Debbie Downers were expecting... it’s a f—-ing pinball machine.

Same shit, diff'rent release

#1091 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Only Stern would make a big deal about what is a virtual kick back. That is now a feature? Lol.
Like all modern Sterns LZ looks fun but I'm not seeing enough features, mechs, and songs to justify the price tag.

Me either. Will wait and buy a gently used premium at some point. Not canceling my EHOH order.

So I predict a No Stairway sign as a mod from WW.

#1092 3 years ago

I like that they put drop targets on the Pro.
Not super into the art, but meh it looks funner than Munsters.

#1093 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's an atrocious idea for a toy, but putting something on it to slow it coming back down would make it look much better. Fast up, slow down would make it suck a little less. Just a little, though.

The most obvious choice would be a Hammer of the Gods, but I guess that'd be too obvious and exciting.

#1094 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

For $10,000 (CAD) the amount of other things I can buy is huge. I could buy a car......but instead, I would get...10 led zep songs, which I already have, a plastic blimp and an icarus on a stick. Oh and a bunch of pictures of the Hindenberg going down. Literally a picture of people dying. Is that worth it? I expected MORE for one of the greatest bands of all time. Side blade lights are a plus I give em that!

#1095 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

First mod please. Gotta be something better to put there. Are you reading this Medisinyl?

#1096 3 years ago

Or u vireland?

#1097 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Guaranteed this is going to be a really fun shooter. Lots of shot paths from the likes of AC/DC and Star Trek. Light show is probably going to be great in person... tunes will be epic.
This theme is going to sell like gang busters

Amen Brother!.jpgAmen Brother!.jpg
#1098 3 years ago

The more I look and watch the more I like it ! I like how it brings me back in time .It looks badass to me you can keep all that neon sign art this looks classy to me .After I tie up a couple loose ends I’ll have my first SR pin as my 6th (that’s all I can fit really ) .I’m really digging the premium as is!! I like how the simple cabinet makes the PF look like a airport in the middle of farmland .To each theyre own but I’d hold off the bashing until you see gameplay .This looks like a fun shooter to me .

#1099 3 years ago

It's about damn time and they look damn good!
Let's hope the game play is worthy of the title.....

#1100 3 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

.....but instead, I would get...10 led zep songs, which I already have...!

Sorry did you expect them to record some new songs for you? Whats the value on 22 songs yiu already have? How much more is that worth.

Wtf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

5,699 (OBO)
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 68.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/22?hl=ozpinsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.