E3D0CAEE-54C1-41E9-991D-BE66A321C2C3 (resized).jpeg
8497D55C-6BA0-4C0A-9ACA-19CEBF6CAAD4 (resized).jpeg
EDB0F7CA-DA5B-4369-A1BB-3A93C36DD9C0 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
Overpriced (resized).jpeg
GrossWearyAsiandamselfly-small.gif
Screenshot_20210119-182404_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
87E22D65-9A92-4178-9A17-5931CE5DA473.png

There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 68.
#901 3 years ago

I don't think it's fair to call anyone at Stern 'lazy' on this game. It's super painfully obvious that the license was a huge pain in the ass to work with. 10 songs alone says it all, even before you look at the Premium art package, or realize the slingshot plastics are just gradients because someone probably couldn't get a design on them approved. I sympathize with whoever did the art, I'm sure it was frustrating and they had better ideas that were shot down.

It is what it is, Stern could have said "You know what? We'll pass on this game, you guys are busting our balls to the point where we can't do good work", but then you'd have no Led Zeppelin pin. I hope the people who buy it enjoy it. As we often say, you don't play the cabinet art.

10 songs though, even though they picked great ones imo, that hurts. You're gonna get tired of them faster with that few.

Personally I think that with all the bands in the world it would be smart to skip the ball breakers, and just work with the ones who actually want a pinball. I haven't played GNR, I have no idea if it's any fun, but it's just amazingly obvious even without knowing the Slash story that there were no uphill fights to get that game looking and sounding right.

Surely there are lots of popular bands (popular enough to sell a few thousand games isn't the highest bar to cross really) that would be stoked to be immortalized in a pinball and wouldn't send their lawyers to quibble over everything. If I was in a rock and roll band and Stern came calling I'd be asking them if they could fit MORE songs in the game, and sending over my favorite artist to do the packages. Maybe that's just me, but there have to be other musicians with that kind of spirt.

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like if it had Stairway to Heaven then they would advertise having it.

You would think but if it’s only in the wizard mode and not full length how would you advertise that?

There has to be something about the 3 wizards modes that differentiate them from the rest of game you would think.

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like if it had Stairway to Heaven then they would advertise having it.

I know I may be clearly in the minority but I actually think Stairway does not make for a good pinball song. May be reason they left out

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Tempted to upgrade to a premium from the pro, but not sure the spinner/magnet is worth it.

The spinner/magnetic ball lock device raises up and down during gameplay, allowing for clear shots most of the time.

But Premium (and LE) also get:
Expression Lighting System™ with 96 RGB LEDs with full color spectrum control; synchronized to game events (not on pro).
LED Light-Up Song List on back panel informs player of songs completed and remaining songs to play (not lit on pro).
68 RGB software controlled LEDs on playfield (versus only 13 RGB software controlled LEDs on pro).
4 all metal stainless steel and chrome wire ramps (versus 3 stainless steel and chrome wire ramps on pro).
3 Main Multiballs: Zeppelin, Tour and Electric Magic Multiball ranging from 2 to 6 balls (versus 2 on pro).

Premium differences seem worth it to me. (LE features do not seem worth it to me.)

#905 3 years ago

I'm disappointed in the LE art. I was kind of half on buying this pin but seeing the reveal videos I want to play it first, might wait for Alien if that is revealed.

#906 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I know I may be clearly in the minority but I actually think Stairway does not make for a good pinball song. May be reason they left out

The full length of song I agree but for a quick mode, wizard scenario, game over, attract, you could use any section of the song to incorporate their most iconic song.

#907 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree with you that the song doesn't fit pinball, at least without a ton of work.

But I would guess the reason it was left out is that the song costs as much as half of the other songs combined.

#908 3 years ago

I'm sure a lot of people are gonna love it. It's the same feeling i got with SW.

I'm into "different" these days.

I told distro if he can't find a sub buyer I'd take it because i told him i would initially. If i end up with it i'm still gonna have fun with it!

#909 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's under his direction. You can "blame the licensor", but you can still have an eye for detail & guide your artists to do something nice within licensor guidelines.
I once heard a story about Ritchie telling Borg he was nuts for using Dirty Donny for Metallica...no one would want that type of art on a MANLY METAL game....and that's why they did the Photoshop "Roadcase" Premium. Met paved the way for a new and exciting pinball art era for Stern...not sure why Steve never got on board.

You need to stop now,this hillbilly from Indiana is agreeing with you on all these points.I think if we sat down and had a beer I could have you agreeing with me on some other issues

#910 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm sure a lot of people are gonna love it. It's the same feeling i got with SW.
I'm into "different" these days.
I told distro if he can't find a sub buyer I'd take it because i told him i would initially. If i end up with it i'm still gonna have fun with it!

Ice, I swear, I don't know how this happened, but you have become the voice of reason on Pinside. You switch to double malt or something?

#911 3 years ago

Seems like a very polarizing game so far. Very underwhelming to me. Wouldn't even be on my radar for a NIB buy but thats OK because (and I realize this is blasphemy) I don't really care for Zep very much. Its probably pretty fun to play, but what pinball machine isn't? Looks boring compared to other games that are out right now and the art is ho-hum at best. I do like the stern version of pinstadiums though. The light up art blades are a cool touch as well. Thats about where the praise ends for me though. If I'm buying a new steve ritchie game its easily BKSOF over this for me.

#912 3 years ago

Think the silver lining here is that the folks waiting for other Stern titles may get their games sooner now if Stern set aside a bunch of production time on this game. This will sell about as well as BKSOR.

#913 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I agree with you that the song doesn't fit pinball, at least without a ton of work.
But I would guess the reason it was left out is that the song costs as much as half of the other songs combined.

The band and licensor should want it in their, this represents the band big time and they haven’t exactly been front and center with the fans for a long time.

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Main shot from upper flipper is a piston target?
Please tell me that's wrong.
And where's the gameplay teaser clip of the models?

#915 3 years ago

I like both the premium and pro cab art, I am not sure what I think about that raising spinner/magnet.

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

there have to be other musicians with that kind of spirt.

Lets hope Dave Grohl is one of them.

#917 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Surely there are lots of popular bands (popular enough to sell a few thousand games isn't the highest bar to cross really) that would be stoked to be immortalized in a pinball and wouldn't send their lawyers to quibble over everything. If I was in a rock and roll band and Stern came calling I'd be asking them if they could fit MORE songs in the game, and sending over my favorite artist to do the packages. Maybe that's just me, but there have to be other musicians with that kind of spirt.

Part of the problem is you gotta get the designer on board with the theme. Steve Ritchie ain't getting hyped to make [removed] the pinball machine.

The other issue is rock is kinda dead? Unless they feel like mining 90s rock. Do people really want a Pearl Jam pin? Maybe a Foo Fighters...

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Those LED lights embedded in the cabinet look amazing. Definitely a first.

not the first by a long shot. Spooky did it with Americas Most Haunted. However Stern has done it much better.

#919 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Part of the problem is you gotta get the designer on board with the theme. Steve Ritchie ain't getting hyped to make [removed the pinball machine.
The other issue is rock is kinda dead? Unless they feel like mining 90s rock. Do people really want a Pearl Jam pin? Maybe a Foo Fighters...

Rage against the Machine ... would have a certain flair to it.... and the name of the band would be ironic for a pinball machine

#920 3 years ago

So many differences on opinion on this one- I think the Premium art is no bueno, reminds me of roadcase art. Different strokes I guess but scratching head at same time

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Part of the problem is you gotta get the designer on board with the theme. Steve Ritchie ain't getting hyped to make [removed] the pinball machine.

Foo Fighters on the long rumored Quick Silver re-imagined pin would be spectacular.

#922 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Would love to see the Tom Petty estate engaged. the artwork for the Heartbreakers is killer, and the songs.....Breakdown, Refugee, dont get me started.

#923 3 years ago

Nice Playfield Ribbing at the 47 second mark

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from J-drum11:

Premium model looks the best in my opinion!

Just Tooooooo Much Blimp man. Front Coin Door . Both Sides Top and bottom cab/head and the BAckglass . may as well break true ground and put the Blimp artwork on the back and be the first Stern with Art in the back and by the way MORE ZEPPLIN !!!

#925 3 years ago

The artist said in an interview just a few days ago that they should get paid more for licensing, so it's no wonder that the game doesn't have enough assets.

#926 3 years ago

Ugh.. I went back to look at MET Pro and AC/DC Premium 12 songs, much better art package.. LZ may be somewhat fun to play but I want it all.. I think I'm gonna get back into those 2 again..

#927 3 years ago

Designer? Software coder?
Thanks

#928 3 years ago

Does anyone get the feeling this is going to be code barren like Munsters?

#929 3 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Rage against the Machine ... would have a certain flair to it.... and the name of the band would be ironic for a pinball machine

I'd be into that one as well

RATM has been on my mind. I'm doing a homebrew project and while thinking of themes I keep circling back to possibly picking Run the Jewels. Zack de la Rocha does a lot of collaborating with them.

Of course there is an extreme irony considering what RATM stands for and being put on a nearly $9,200 luxury toy

But back to Led Zeppelin...it's fine. I'm happy for those that like it. I'm planning to buy a game next year, but this one ain't it.

#930 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Designer? Software coder?
Thanks

Steve Ritchie and Tim Sexton. They did BK SOR together.

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I love RATM, but their music/politics don't really mesh with the majority of the pinball crowd. 99% of the music I listen to is from the past 30 years, yet I can't think of any bands/musicians from the 90's onward that would make a good pinball theme. That's alright though. There are plenty of other theme choices worth doing. We probably have enough music themed pins to choose from now unless we went with something a bit different like Prince or David Bowie vs. traditional rock.

#932 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'd be into that one as well
RATM has been on my mind. I'm doing a homebrew project and while thinking of themes I keep circling back to possibly picking Run the Jewels. Zack de la Rocha does a lot of collaborating with them.
Of course there is an extreme irony considering what RATM stands for and being put on a nearly $9,200 luxury toy
But back to Led Zeppelin...it's fine. I'm happy for those that like it. I'm planning to buy a game next year, but this one ain't it.

I could see a mode now... it would be the outro to, "Killing in the name" and the goal is to *not* hit any of the flashing ramps and targets.

#933 3 years ago

They couldn’t think of of better name than “Electric Magic Multiball”?

#934 3 years ago

I actually think the PF looks decent.... Pro is better but I usually prefer it .

Have to wait to wait and play on this one

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

It was one of their iconic tours, it was the 71’ UK tour, 4-5 hour shows that were like a circus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_United_Kingdom_Tour_Winter_1971

#936 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Those LED lights embedded in the cabinet look amazing. Definitely a first.

Disagree. Clown puking pins is getting out of hand. First it was owners doing. Now manufacturers are doing it.

#937 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

After "Kid Multiball" was unleashed on the world, nothing that ever comes out now will claim the title for the worst.

#938 3 years ago

Seriously....yay more pink/purpes lightning

#939 3 years ago

Is there any or much of a video display in the head? I expected to see some concert clips or something, playing on the head.

#940 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Disagree. Clown puking pins is getting out of hand. First it was owners doing. Now manufacturers are doing it.

Yah hate to agree but its out of hand...

I had a Wonka for a while which I thought was a ton of fun really but sometimes the lights were ridiculous... like I would have to look away from the playfield or couldnt even see the ball.

#941 3 years ago

When is the first stream? I would like to see how it shoots before I count it out.

#942 3 years ago

Is twip or deadflip streaming today?

#943 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Is there any or much of a video display in the head? I expected to see some concert clips or something, playing on the head.

The LCD is there. We have to wait for gameplay video to see what the video content will include.

#944 3 years ago

A Few Observations now that we are running out of steam on art comments.
1. Premium now includes side art/game blades stock.
2. Premium and LE now include Pinstadiumish goodies
3. Pro includes standup 3 bank
4. 4 ramps in all models… a lot for a standard body
5. Cross body plunge set up well for a skill shot. Most plunge through the orbit today, this is different like a lot of older data easts.
6. There is a second switch in the shooter lane… why?
7. Ball does not travel on plastic in this game.
8. Shot through the backbox.

#945 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A Few Observations now that we are running out of steam on art comments.
1. Premium now includes side art/game blades stock.
2. Premium and LE now include Pinstadiumish goodies
3. Pro includes standup 3 bank
4. 4 ramps in all models… a lot for a standard body
5. Cross body plunge set up well for a skill shot. Most plunge through the orbit today, this is different like a lot of older data easts.
7. Ball does not travel on plastic in this game.
8. Shot through the backbox.

I thought it was 3 ramps in the pro. The upper flipper shoots a stand target in the pro which I guess from memory is similar to Iron Maiden.

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought it was 3 ramps in the pro. The upper flipper shoots a stand target in the pro.

Well I'm confused now... is there a ramp under the Zepplin?

#947 3 years ago

Well I'm confused now... is there a ramp under the Zepplin?

Feature matrix lists four ramps for LE/Premium and three for Pro.

#948 3 years ago

5. Steve Ritchie loves cross playfield plunges. They are on many of his games

6. I bet the ball can fall back in for another skill shot, like on Elvis.

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Feature matrix lists four ramps for LE/Premium and three for Pro.

The LZ premium/LE shots remind me of Avenger IQ Prem/LE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Dyer, IN
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Portland, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 3,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 68.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/19?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.