(Topic ID: 283824)

Stern Led Zeppelin Art - What Do You Think?

By Tranquilize

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which art package do you prefer and why? ”

• Pro 48 votes
    9%
  • Premium 98 votes
    19%
  • LE 63 votes
    12%
  • None - they all suck 302 votes
    59%

(511 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CB98CA21-F6AF-42B1-993A-5EB007ED7F61 (resized).jpeg
waving-flag-of-usd-sign-stock-illustration_csp9292746 (resized).jpg
inqwerdex (resized).jpg
e67b79be080287cd4c2ab3104e69ad4055919769 (resized).jpg
0631e567630f448fd42d53e43b6b4682c0ccf68a (resized).jpg
ce1e9a47f14ea28c1a35e25f8490920046ff4d9e (resized).jpg
4CCE7D74-BB59-4C4C-BAB4-1046D3E9B49C.gif
67437408-AD80-4645-A5CD-A9DBE2304BC8 (resized).jpeg
2D2D11A7-735F-4E0E-A61D-25AFC34F54AE (resized).jpeg
85BEACF4-B9CF-42BC-B26A-E8B6F459E6DF (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201216-212522_Chrome (resized).jpg
zzzzzLZ voteing (resized).png
41g0QpkQAFL._AC_ (resized).jpg
51u2XSTYKmL._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
unn;lkj;lamed (resized).jpg
led-zeppelin-ceramic-ashtray-d-music_1_4876990564cb19f00ae345fcbd43d244 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider romulusx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I predict a reverse GNR...
people will dislike the art but love the gameplay not vice versa.

Keep up the effort you might convince someone?

#160 3 years ago

First I love Zeppelin,I used a quarter everyday at the new Pizza Hut across from my high school to play Dyer Maker and The Joker.We smoked red bud and listened to Physical Graffiti like it was a religion.
Anyway I said from the beginning that this band doesn’t lend itself well to pinball neither for their look or their songs minus a few.If the managers of their properties had allowed them to do a more cool dark mystical style art that might have worked.These pinball manufacturers should not do IP’s that don’t cough up some leeway!

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

BIG fan of the Premium/LE playfield artwork with the Expression artblades! GREAT, vibrant color palette and lots of glow and pizazz. Look at the lightening bolts that define the shot paths. They're ablaze with energy, thanks to the deft use of fades! Look at the swaths of rich color that fade into each other, each complementing the next. Those colors were selected by an artist, not a hack, to make the whole thing pop - and it does! Greg Freres did similarly fabulous, colorful work on the PF for EHOH, my favorite from Stern. No, I don't love his illustration, but there is none on LZ, just his art direction, and he is really showing his chops! The colors/tones of the LEDs in the Expression artblades complement the PF nicely, too. The whole palette is skillfully done and every bit as vibrant as those of Zombie Yeti this year. Check the Swansong pop caps! They are sharp! And the Art-Nouveau font choices are spot-on and sleek. Cabinet art for all models is completely forgettable, but no matter! The PF is dreamy! It goes to show that you don't need Franchi-grade illustration to kill it with PF art! A+ for Greg!

I must admit I'm not sure if your kidding or not?

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Iron Maiden and Metallica are to me the best examples of how fun a band pin can be. I know Maiden was based on some comic nobody has read, it's original enough to me. Both those games just feel like they're more wide-open adventures with a vibe and a soundtrack to back it all up. The "band pin as concert" approach is fine, GNR certainly nailed it, but I would have thought Led Zeppelin would have been 100x more interesting as some kind of Norse/Tolkien vibe adventure with cool art and the music to bring it all home.
Clearly the license gave zero f—s about letting Stern do that, and it is what it is. And maybe the super fans prefer it that way and think my idea sounds lame. But that's what I personally hope for on any band pin, a mix of the band's personality with an almost unlicensed/original theme to mix with it. Hand drawn art, imagination, the kind of worlds you might see in your head kicking back (with or without the substance of your choice) with a nice pair of headphones and your eyes closed.

Norse/Tolkien vibe is straight up the way to go with this!

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yes I'm sure its better , just so easy to change. People are so focused on it

Not really their focused on all of the shit job Stern did to our beloved Led Zeppelin!You guys are like the story of the emperor’s new clothes

#228 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

I’m surprised by peeps being caught off guard with this.
How many pinheads were LZ fans through the decades...
Anyone could have told you the album covers were total crap, the very worse being LZ-IV.
They were a bit stoned when getting Albums put together by their own admission in the day.
Robert Plant truly hates LZ III album cover, common knowledge when it was released but rolled with it.
Funny how some Pinheads love the Pro -....... I think it’s shit when exploded on a pin.
I seen this coming from a country mile away.....
I say again, just because you love the music doesn’t mean you will love the album cover, that’s the mistake that’s been made
Remember buying Vinyl, did you love every album cover you ever bought?? Hit + miss they were.....
Collectors will be disappointed.
The LE being skinned around the record label is just Frikin horrid, not just the colours but the whole Icarus theme ..... awful. I wouldn’t want near my home, it feels, looks religious.
The topper which is cool, does not suit the Pro or Premium.
If they only had limited assets to work with for art, could they not have pushed to do something different at the very least with the translites, back box sides? Resolution ? DPI?
Everything looks like low res wallpaper.
Shame, imagine how these could have looked.

I wish I could upvote this twice it’s exactly what I was warning of before the pin was released.I agree with Aurich that they should’ve with with a mystical Tolkien theme!It’s a shame I wonder if Stern reached out to talk with Zep’s people to discuss the artwork issues.I love Zeppelin so for me this would’ve been my second Stern music pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.99
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, KS
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider romulusx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-art-what-do-you-think-?tu=romulusx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.